PDA

View Full Version : Sick of "A fatal run-time error has ocurred"

daughterolilith
22-09-07, 14:48
...And other stupid bugs like the whole screen going grey apart from the HUD quite often when you enter a new zone in the wastelands, or saying synchronizing for ever until finally disconnecting

MrWeedster
22-09-07, 14:53
You better get used to it....

greetz

ashley watts
22-09-07, 14:53
lmao, weve been sick of this for years, just gotta get used to it.

Mighty Max
22-09-07, 14:54
like the whole screen going grey apart from the HUD quite often

Do yourself a favor, and defrag your HDD.

The Mysterious
22-09-07, 15:07
Doesn't bother me, i'll just relog until i get a decent login and then play for all my heart desires for that time, later i'll just return always, am a big fan of Cyberpunk-theme. :D

daughterolilith
22-09-07, 15:09
I never have that kind of problem on other games.... it's Neocron not my computer...

Vila
22-09-07, 15:11
i dont mind em, i mind more of it when i log back and then i need to relog 29384793 cos i synchronize. who cares of fatals, they are easy, u maybe die cos of em but atleast u get back in the game.

The Mysterious
22-09-07, 15:16
I never have that kind of problem on other games.... it's Neocron not my computer...

Are you sure you meet the recommended specs? :cool:
Always check your computer first, and don't whine. :lol:

daughterolilith
22-09-07, 15:19
Are you sure you meet the recommended specs? :cool:
Always check your computer first, and don't whine. :lol:
yes, I have

and I'm not whining, arsehole, I am making a damn valid complaint about an issue that a lot of other people seem to have been experiencing for a long time also.

Doc Holliday
22-09-07, 15:22

maybe it is neocron. however do as max says and you will help neocron help you.

The Mysterious
22-09-07, 15:24
yes, I have

and I'm not whining, arsehole, I am making a damn valid complaint about an issue that a lot of other people seem to have been experiencing for a long time also.

There is no need to be ungly :rolleyes:

I am wondering if your a guy or gal, ur username makes me wonde... :lol:
If you were a gal - maybe you didn't call others like me names... sorry, it's off topic.

Well, just report them and keep playing. I often get fatals when am already making a pause to NC, so it don't bother me. Umm... how fast you can connect to server? :(

Mighty Max
22-09-07, 15:59

Well, you could further complain here and be disappointed,
or you could use this workaround.

Neocron IS picky on timings when it comes to zoning, it allways was and mostlikely will allways be. But doing a defrag from time to time helps to not only avoid frustration and these timing bugs but to gain an higher overall performance on your computer.

Something that should be worth 7 clicks and a bit of AFK time every few months, imnsho.

Miss Naughty
22-09-07, 16:05
I've had enough of the general shoddiness of the games code too. Even on a brand new high spec PC this game runs so badly and unreliably its unforgiveable.

I don't know why people always defend Neocrons unreliability and say that it must be a hard drive in need of defragging, not enough ram etc. It's just badly written - that's all. Its a shame 'cos it has a great atmosphere and some interesting game mechanics.

Mighty Max
22-09-07, 16:16
When you have the means to avoid frustration, do so. That has nothing to do with "defend buggy code".

It's not that you help neocron by running the defrag, it's helping yourself having fun, but meh. If you like keeping the zoneing fatals because of "principle", that's your choice.

I rather use my time in NC to have fun.

daughterolilith
22-09-07, 16:21
I am wondering if your a guy or gal, ur username makes me wonde... :lol:
If you were a gal - maybe you didn't call others like me names... . . .
chauvinism is alive and well in neocron it seems

The Mysterious
22-09-07, 16:46
But doing a defrag from time to time helps to not only avoid frustration and these timing bugs but to gain an higher overall performance on your computer.

Something that should be worth 7 clicks and a bit of AFK time every few months, imnsho.
How do i defrag? :confused:

And sorry, daughterolilith, for being offensive, let's calm down.

I am nto defending the bugs or errors, nor crashes for that matter...
But for the only game with Cyberpunk-theme, i must support for all costs! :cool:
It's not so-so unforgivable and real fans of NC, never say 'shame'. Mighty max, agree? ;)

Edit: chauvinism is not recommended in public servers, cut it off for the sake of all atmosphere in NC, to calm down the edgy and frowny users caused by the bugs, errors, crashes, etc. :p

Apocalypsox
22-09-07, 17:19
i honestly havnt fataled in months. My major problem is i have to log a char 4-7 times to get a proper login these days :lol:

Zeninja
22-09-07, 18:12
Fatal runtime error is actually one of my favourite NC feature.

In no other game, you could take so many easy and delightful revenges on some random overpowered-sneaky-bastard-with-2-times-your-skills, by killing him and hacking his -87 SL belt when he crashed for the third time in the day, then see him going mad on OOC after he's just realised that he had dropped his 5 slots [replace with random overpowered weapon] while turning insane as he blames chaos for having created such a cruel world...

:o

silent000
22-09-07, 19:31
What the fuck is a 'Fatal Run Time Error'?

Glok
22-09-07, 20:02
What the fuck is a 'Fatal Run Time Error'?That's when you get jumped in the wastes and try to run away and fail.

NC is picky, you need to be just as picky to make it play nice. Defrag + fast HD, lots of ram, no programs running in the background, and a good clean internet connection all help. Believe it or not a cool-running cpu is a big help too.

Mighty Max
22-09-07, 20:19
How do i defrag? :confused:

For WinXP (which should still be the most common OS here)
Open the "My Computer", select the harddrive with the right mouse button choose Properties. Under the Tab "Extras" you can start the defrag utility.

:edit: hope that i have chosen the correct translations. The localized version of XP i'm using has some different names ;)

The Mysterious
22-09-07, 21:02
Ok... what Defragging actually do? :p
I have Win2000 professional, the best IMO. :cool:

Mighty Max
22-09-07, 21:30
A defrag reorders files on your harddrive, in the best case to avoid any fragmentation (files put in seperated parts on the hdd) and to group files which are related to each other somehow.

This way accesses to the single files are faster (avoids slow seeking, taking advantage of the faster caches, taking advantage of the job sheduler in your OS) and the access to files that relate to each other because the seek distance is not that far within this group. (Seeking is done mechanical)

Modern FS are known to be more resistant against fragmentation. The current situation however seems that, because this problematic is less more known by the users in the "modern" time, it got rather worse then better.

The changes in the OSes that allways speed up the optimized more then the worst case did it's thing too, so that the difference between a cache hit and a cache miss in itself is allready a massive slowdown noticeable to the user.

In short words:
Here a defrag might help neocron to read the zone file before the server gives up on requesting the correct "i am done syncing" message.

Serious_Sam
23-09-07, 05:39
Fatals are an integral part of the game, without them it just wouldn't be Neocron. And no, there is no 100% fool-proof method of ridding yourself of it. I would recommend defragging your hard drive, if you've never had a problem with it before, chances are you've never defraged before.

If it gets unbearable, reinstall NC (just be sure to save the Patches folder).

Neoray
23-09-07, 06:24
What also helps, at least at my comp, is to have a big virtual ram.
I got about 4 Gig of this virtual ram, and I have mostly only a fatla a day or even less.

Zeninja
23-09-07, 14:14
The current situation however seems that, because this problematic is less more known by the users in the "modern" time, it got rather worse then better.
It even used to free a lot of space on your FAT filesystem, and the speed performance increase was clearly worth the action.

GiggityGoo
23-09-07, 16:57
These threads make me lol. Not long till this bad boy gets locked.

silent000
23-09-07, 17:46
These threads make me lol. Not long till this bad boy gets locked.

Well in that case i think its time for me to put a bit of posting into this

gamefreak
23-09-07, 17:51
Fatals ftw

Tesee
23-09-07, 18:40
fatal ? what's fatal ? :D

but it is more funny when you relog in the middle of the zone between a warbot and a spiderbot :lol:

Seraphin[69]
24-09-07, 13:30

TBH it's useless... the same problem occurs with a Flash Drive or a SSD drive (tested and fataled on both)

Selendor
24-09-07, 16:22
Anyone willing to take odds on Black Prophecy featuring fatals for a lot of people?

But seriously, the most fatals I get are when logging into busy zones (which is why you get less fatals as the zones are mostly empty), and also using the Citycom, which is riddled with bad code it seems.

Zefrian
24-09-07, 16:30
']TBH it's useless... the same problem occurs with a Flash Drive or a SSD drive (tested and fataled on both)
AFAIK this does not make any difference, because the file system ist the same, independend of the kind of storage hardware you use.

Mighty Max
24-09-07, 17:35
']TBH it's useless... the same problem occurs with a Flash Drive or a SSD drive (tested and fataled on both)

A SIO accessed Flash has the same issue with seeking through the command interface and it takes the same time to issue a new command, as to read a bunch of sequential data. Actually, you can read about 1/10th sector in the time you issue one new command. For sequential reding no new command is needed, for seeking there is. So there is a tradeoff for seeking here too.

For parallel accessed SSD, there is still the issue (as mentioned in the previous description) with the cache and job sheduling. Given that a SSD is usually way slower then a "normal" hdd, those downsides increase here. Hence why the speed of those is often still measured in reference to the first generation 150kB/s CD-Rom drives. (1000x/2000x sounds good but is a shame compared to real hdd's)

SSD/Flash has its advantage in tought environments, reading-longlivity (not when writing to it), power usage and physical size. Reducing the sideeffects of fragmentation however is non if its features.

daughterolilith
24-09-07, 20:29
well I have defragged and reinstalled the game and defragged again to make sure..... and it makes no difference at all

it just seems to be that i'm echoing what everyone else says in the game, that neocron is unstable as hell

Serious_Sam
24-09-07, 23:02
And you JUST realised this?

ashley watts
24-09-07, 23:06
well I have defragged and reinstalled the game and defragged again to make sure..... and it makes no difference at all

it just seems to be that i'm echoing what everyone else says in the game, that neocron is unstable as hell

Indeed
;)

Vampire222
24-09-07, 23:15
[ edited ]

Bredahl
24-09-07, 23:22
Yes NC are unstable, but im pretty sure that most ppl are so used to it, that they dont even notice/care..

Apocalypsox
24-09-07, 23:53
Yes NC are unstable, but im pretty sure that most ppl are so used to it, that they dont even notice/care..

Having to log in 4 times to get a good login makes me angreh :mad:

Bredahl
25-09-07, 01:12
Having to log in 4 times to get a good login makes me angreh :mad:
And you are SURE that it dont have anything to do with your computer..?
I only get like one bad login per week.. i fatal 2-8 times per day though iirc - it feels so long since ive played NC on my normal computer :(

Apocalypsox
25-09-07, 01:37
And you are SURE that it dont have anything to do with your computer..?
I only get like one bad login per week.. i fatal 2-8 times per day though iirc - it feels so long since ive played NC on my normal computer :(

Im running a brand new comp :lol:

Forget My Name
25-09-07, 02:45
Its the same old hat .... over and over .... year after year .... It never ends...

People will defend this code broken game to death if need be.

It's not your comp Lilith, trust me, its the game. Period. End of story.

You either learn to get used to it or you just need to find a more stable game (which is any game out there).

Sorry, but them the breaks. But don't feel bad, its not your computer at all.

The Mysterious
25-09-07, 15:44
I seem to get less fatals on week than anyone else? I got only one fatal last day and not a single the day before, but i did got a bug that warped me into nearest Outfitter with changed character face, clothing and i just needed to relog and it was fixed. Sometimes i get logout bug when i access CityCom... ^^'

Yes, i really don't care about the bugs, crashes, but ending or decreasing all possible exploits would be the most positive thing for NC3 to have. :p

Neocron forever! :cool:

Forget My Name
27-09-07, 16:59
... for NC3 to have ...

NC3??

This is still Beta4.