PDA

View Full Version : Where is the roleplay in this game?

daughterolilith
20-09-07, 13:38
I have been playing a week and only seen one person do it once and none of the staff characters that are claimed to be around - can anyone point me towards best times or places or something?

deathclaw666
20-09-07, 16:51
i have a rp bar just come by from time to time and we could do some rp its in the military base baracks 2 pw hells name of the bar is Hell's Kitchen.

(and no we are not hells legion!!!)

Edit: Its on Terra^^

Tesee
20-09-07, 18:10
i am still not used to Terra server but it seems there is not much roleplay on it

Apocalypsox
20-09-07, 23:59
Most players on Terra (Atleast the ones i know) will roleplay if you start it. Weve just gotten a little burnt out after RPing the same chars for 3-5 years.

daughterolilith
21-09-07, 19:26
Most players on Terra (Atleast the ones i know) will roleplay if you start it. Weve just gotten a little burnt out after RPing the same chars for 3-5 years.
So make new ones, dodos :)

The Mysterious
21-09-07, 20:43
I am considering to form a clan, who'll RP someday in the future, gonna take long though. RP is on my part, casual and random, for i am busy getting symapthies up to max. with all pro-city factions, TT is the only one with 100 sympathy so far. Thumbs up for neocron and roleplay! :angel:

daughterolilith
22-09-07, 02:36
I only roleplay twilight guardian, screw corporate zombies and drugdealers :)

Apocalypsox
22-09-07, 05:40
So make new ones, dodos :)

I do =P I always keep a slot for a new character that i can level and play around on. Atm its a HE PE.

And i RP a NEXT employee =P Don't be dissing on us corporate zombies, we make most of your fookin vehicles! :lol:

ashley watts
22-09-07, 14:57
Ill roleplay my Black dragon PE to be a hooker if you want, tips welcome.

Matanius
22-09-07, 16:22
There isn't much RP around atm but that's mainly because no one wants to be the one that starts it. For the most part, if I start some RP then other people join in. I never do a lot tbh, just a bit of casual stuff here and there. Like talking in character when I give a poke or something, or trying to discuss a recent article from the Neocronicle etc.

Just start some RP up, some people will tell you to fuck off, but eventually someone will join in. Unfortunately though, most the RP I see atm are people in TG or BD RPing arseholes and mafioso types ie. 'Gimme 300k or you die' :p

Kanedax
23-09-07, 13:28
lol...FOR THE HORDE!!!!! but honestly yeah some people will rp, but it seems a lot of the more prolific players are in the game for purely pvp, i know i am

cymoncymple
23-09-07, 19:26
I am going to babble a bit here. Been too long since I unloaded onto the Forums.

First and foremost, I am back as the classic example of a Returning Vet. Yet another Vet who keeps coming back hoping to rediscover the fun of NC1 and often being let down.

Well as I was reading up about Drones I had an idea. My Insight (http://forum.neocron.com/showpost.php?p=2099344&postcount=15)

I have decided to see Neocron as a Moo/Mud/Muck with a very cool graphical interface. I am back and I have done the tour..There, Neocron, EQ1/2, SWG, WOW, Matrix, Eve, Second Life, RUIN, and a whole bunch of those crazy free games. Nothing did it for me...mostly I hate the overdone hobbit, elf and troll type things. As I sit back have a smoke, a smoke and a beer it started to get clear; I hadn't really had a good time since like the summer of 97. Cybersphere (http://cs.vv.com) was slowly becoming the coolest moo out there and the players spent years working on being the best. RP was a requirement because it was text so we had to make our characters appear more alive. As more and more graphical games came onto the net I started to forget what a good game was (to me).

Yes, I lowered the bar on what I expect from online games as I allowed graphics to bury..theme and RP. I allowed the loot returns of missions and quests to cloud how i used to level in the moo world...namely not die. No longer do I expect neocron to preform like a WoW-Eve-LOTR candy coated stim stream.

I can't pretend or try to make neocron that type of game because frankly it isn't such a game. It is a raw, rough and sometimes a bear of a client. It doesn't like to work and when it does it doesn't care how you want it to work. It does what it wants....run-time errors, crashes, sync error, and my fav the total close with no reason. Those types of issues don't work in a candy coat graphic interface...but in a moo that is a common. So, I just gave in and went with what the game wanted. I can't make it be something it isn't and following that logic I couldn't pull something from it that isn't in there.

As I lit my fourth smoke and repacked for another type of smoke it all clicked. If Neocron is more moo then MMORPG I can't look for the game to have an RP. I have to make the RP (well WE have to make it) and I have to dedicate myself to it as I would any other stat. I have tried and had a little success; you have to just keep doing RP and not expect ANYONE to care. RP to me is an event that you do not because it gets you a sword or because it wins you friends....it entertains you. Most people know how to RP (we all pretended to be someone, something or being somewhere as a kid) they just sometimes are taken aback and have to recall that: OHHH, when they say they are from neocron they are in-character!!

ooc: I am from Lacrosse WI....hehehe

I am here this time until they shut the lights off. I promise to stay in character and I promise to reach master. Those little promises said to the masses almost require a giggle at my cost and I expect someone to post in that manner. Such mockery can't stop me because already my game play is deeper then just getting all the techparts needed for whatever caster bullshit the cookie-cutter template all want. I have played games before where there are only like 100 active people with another 100 part-time players thrown in. I prefer that world to a world full of 3000+ people all dressed the same, using the same quest rewards and not even trying to understand the guy/girl who is their class but not dressed like them. A long time ago, before we all got addicted to what the graphical guys threw on top of their very limited scripted worlds, I enjoyed the freedom to decide more as a character. Neocron has that still; even though it seems to almost be lost in the cookie-cutter templates. I can pull my chip out and shoot at whatever I want....take over an outpost and DEMAND respect because I and mine control the best construction bases. I look forward to neocron again as I no longer expect too much from neocron. I know damn well it might just be me logging in going to eat lunch do some other non-skill raising actions as I slowly level working on my parts reselling concept. All I got outside someday I will need to face another player in combat which brings me to the close of this babble.

PVP used to be something that happened between players fighting over the same resource with a back story (RP) on why it was so important. Over time the candy coated guys got us to think that PVP is something that only happens in certain location, with timers, redone take the flag repeated endlessly and a bit of ranking board to seal the deal. I myself am done with that....when I kill a character it will be because they are standing between me and something I want. I will RP feeling bad about it and more then likely RP a mental side effect due to the event....PVP you know is a nice way of saying murder after all.

I can't ask you to be like me or to follow my lead. The path I am taking has been taken before and unless you are under the age of 25 you more then likely have seen it before. Just know there is one guy out there who still uses OOC: and who refuses to ever ask anyone on trade: I am bored does anyone else wanna fight?

Dribble Joy
27-09-07, 00:16
Many people in NC (not most, but a lot), loathe and despise RP in any form, and will go out of their way to make the lives of anyone who engages in it in any way a living hell.

As a result many people are reluctant to do it as they will loose 'respect' with a large section of the playerbase.

You just have to ignore them in the end.

As for me, I just got Skulls (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=140617) back up and running. If any of you want some CMs for OP fight assistance, give me or any of the others a bell.

Kierz
27-09-07, 05:28
i'm thinking of RPing an atomic war survivor after logging in at 4am, it works well with the post-apocolyptic setting neocron is in, and late at night you can run around for hours without seeing another person :D "wow, there really is no one left, i am the one! last man standing"

danmalone
27-09-07, 19:03
i'm thinking of RPing an atomic war survivor after logging in at 4am, it works well with the post-apocolyptic setting neocron is in, and late at night you can run around for hours without seeing another person :D "wow, there really is no one left, i am the one! last man standing"

where do u hide at 4am? im always looking for survivors, not yet found any :mad:

Zheo
28-09-07, 21:52
roleplay? Neocron? You must be joking :) look for Ashwatts I heard he role plays

The Mysterious
30-09-07, 13:13
Well, considering that PvP often gets boring, roleplay is worth a while and it's good from time to time. :cool:

cymoncymple
04-10-07, 01:51
seeing people?

i never see anyone after 12pm cst u.s.....

i often scream out "WHOA that scared me." when i see them....

daughterolilith
04-10-07, 08:25
seeing people?

i never see anyone after 12pm cst u.s.....

i often scream out "WHOA that scared me." when i see them....log on 12pm USA time+, that is the start of EU primetime (well if you are in central -6 hours from us) :)

THE_TICK!!!!
06-10-07, 04:44
actually you roleplay has a definite place in this game !! if more people would recognize this it would be interseting to say the least. Most of you know im a hard core pvp kind of guy, BUT.....i do enjoy seeing role players online and if i happend to see more..i would join in just for shits and giggles..you pvp ho's respond i would like to hear your opinions..honest ones f00kers...

Zefrian
06-10-07, 11:54
well, some runers are doing bad jokes about RP ..... they consider "pure PK a red one" as full roleplay, which isn't (it's only a very tiny fraction of it).

Some others tend to fall out of their role by mentioning a "charakter" or "server" or "soullight" or anything a real ingame person would not be aware of.

This makes it a little bit difficult to roleplay. As already adviced, simply try to roleplay. Play your carakter in a way as it isn't aware of the fact, that this is a game.

When i started to play NC, there was a "huge" player basis, and you could simply ignore persons ruining roleplay. This time 'we' have to get along with them somehow. :(

I personally will adapt very fast, if i detect my oposite roleplaying.

Therefore simply try it, and insist on doing so.

cymoncymple
06-10-07, 19:17
I so agree...

I find myself RPing for the sake of RPing.

all i got going and i will keep trying no matter hwo silly i seem to the majority (which is just a fraction of the old neocron i recall)

ashley watts
06-10-07, 20:22
roleplay? Neocron? You must be joking :) look for Ashwatts I heard he role plays

Quote and a half xD

Mal
12-10-07, 02:52
RP died a slow and painful death a few years ago.

I tried my best... it was too much -.-

Hell-demon
23-10-07, 15:12
Role play is quite dead.

You can try and RP, but it wont last long.

Gone are the days standing round Tech Haven speaking like a pirate and people listening to my tall tales for a dabloon or two.

SnowCrash
23-10-07, 15:45
If acting in a role-play context is your way to play Neocron then do it and don't let yourself being kept off from having your fun. The more you live your role-play the more people will jump onto the train. On the contrary, if you show your despair about the lack of role-play, the trolls will just get more fuel for their fire.

Hell-demon
23-10-07, 16:07
That's good in-theory.

Practically it doesn't pan out like that. In the end you are left standing around jibbering to yourself, all the while everyone else is out of character, asking for weapons, pokes and bitching about last nights outpost fights and insulting every single player's mother.

It's hard to roleplay when everyone else is not, no one else joins in and no one really gives a toss about you, your persona and the whole concept of your role playing.

daughterolilith
03-01-11, 18:57
I hope Neocron 3 isn't as focused as PVP. surely you want more girls right? :) am i the only one left that remembers this game now? lol

Biglines
05-01-11, 19:29
only reason neocron has survived is because of pvp, and now you want to remove the pvp... yes, smart

flib
06-01-11, 16:10
If I wanted more girls, I'd go outside or play WoW.

Biglines
06-01-11, 18:52
Oh I've always enjoyed playing with the women of nc, far more than the men (e-peen anyone?), but none of them played nc to roleplay...

LeFae
18-01-11, 17:58
I honestly do not think removing PVP would attract more females.... rather if anything it would shoo them away with the rest of the population. Besides avoiding PVP is not difficult, just don't take out your LE!

If you want to bring more females in just create a good product, and make it enjoyable. This advice of course extends to both genders.

As it is, I started playing because of my friends, and I kept playing because I enjoyed life as as an APU. I then discovered drones one day because even though I'd played for a year I'd never quite figured out what those little flying gizmos where that kept attacking things (which I later kept popping once I had my LE out >.>).

Then I finally decided to start asking, and I found a droner who more or less explained them all to me. After that I decided to try a droner and I've been set ever since xD

LiL T
13-07-11, 14:18
I roleplay but normally I roleplay an absolute cunt but that does not mean my character can't get on with people, they just need to know how to approach her. If someone comes up to her to play they have to play her game and if they are weak or foolish she will kill them catch my drift?

I like to play the role of the bad ass punk bitch that will rip your dick off, I also like to role play paid hits, someone pays me I go get them, in the past in my old clan we use to do that, we assassinated brammers so many times and it was fun it provided some quality roleplay. One day when we was city mercs we killed a GM simply because the payment for our efforts did not cover the loss of our bomber and on that day we fought along side other city mercs such as skulls with dribble joy there leader and that was a one off. We did not expect to be attacked for this kill of the GM but everyone hated us and attacked us we killed everyone obviously...

We left city mercs after that incident, we saw it as an honourable thing to do since we was hated in that faction, so we joined blackdragon and pushed drugs and I mean lots of drugs 50 drugs i think for 150k was our price 3k per unit. So yeah we did roleplay but not many people on terra could accept that, they all thought we was just griefing arseholes...

Roleplay is not always just chat in a bar and stuff, this is neocron people will be killed from time to time.

Apocalypsox
14-07-11, 03:35
Lol, assassinating brammers. That reminds me of some fun I had back in a certain clan with a few certain people and a lot of Kami drones. :lol: All in RP sake, mind you! We were pretty much terrorists!

Those were the days. Sorry Bram, it was too much fun :D