PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Running a website?

Apocalypsox
14-09-07, 05:36
Well, recently ive latched onto the idea of running a website. What i will put on this website is yet to be determined, but i want to run it off my computer. Is it plausible, let alone possible to run a dedicated web server off a computer? (And ive already got most of the security covered, 2 firewalls, UAC on vista, and ive got damn near all my ports shut, short of bare essentials.)

On a sidenote, does anyone have any web designing experience/know where i can find a basic guide? i know NOTHING atm :D

Also, its very likely it may turn into a resource site like Mr. Fucknut had. Synergy was a great resource site, and NC needs something like that for new runners.

silent000
14-09-07, 09:13
Forget about running it off your own computer my good man :angel:

Seraphin[69]
14-09-07, 09:54
Synergy was a great resource site, and NC needs something like that for new runners.

www.techhaven.org got the old Synergyxr databases.

And if you want to run a website you'd better loan an hosted webspace or you'll regret it ;)

Brammers
14-09-07, 11:45
Well, recently ive latched onto the idea of running a website. What i will put on this website is yet to be determined, but i want to run it off my computer. Is it plausible, let alone possible to run a dedicated web server off a computer? (And ive already got most of the security covered, 2 firewalls, UAC on vista, and ive got damn near all my ports shut, short of bare essentials.)

On a sidenote, does anyone have any web designing experience/know where i can find a basic guide? i know NOTHING atm :D

Also, its very likely it may turn into a resource site like Mr. Fucknut had. Synergy was a great resource site, and NC needs something like that for new runners.

You haven't said what sort of connection you are hosting your PC on. If it's ADSL lines are not designed for hosting. Quite simply there isn't enough upstream bandwidth available, which webservers need a lot of. Also what happens if you have a power cut? Serriously I would consider paying for some webhosting, and also you don't have to worry so much about security or hardware.

Also a bit of advice on setting up a fansite. Start with a small simple idea, and build on it. I've seen too many people around here decide to build a website that is just too big and complicated to manage from the start, and then see the site abandoned. SXR and also the THN both started as sites with forums and they grew from there.

This post and the others may sound a bit negative, but we all are trying to give the best advice to make your site succeed.

Apocalypsox
14-09-07, 23:59
Desired effect here was that i cant afford to run a completely seperate web server, and ive seen some game servers run off worse specs than my comp has. Worst case scenario, i upgrade to FIOS internet for another 40$ a month and quadruple my speed.

james_finn
15-09-07, 00:46
Desired effect here was that i cant afford to run a completely seperate web server, and ive seen some game servers run off worse specs than my comp has. Worst case scenario, i upgrade to FIOS internet for another 40$ a month and quadruple my speed.

OK well heres a question - do you want a webserver? which would allow you to run servers for online games and webspace, or do you just want webspace?

Running servers for games on a home internet connection is not advised, I used to do it on a shared 8MB line at Uni for SourceForts, however most of the time it choked the upload on the line causing all sorts of issues for the rest of the household.

Running a webserver at home is doable, if you have static IP its easier, with a dynamic one have a look at dyndns.org (IIRC) lthough obv the PC will need to be on 24/7 for people to access it, and if it gets big it will hit your internet speed massively. I know the stats for certain nc resource sites, and put it this way - they arent too light on the bandwidth usage. Also to create a website you will need to look at the windows IIS (internet Information Service) to enable a www part of the hard drive to be shared. (Pass on how to do it on Vista).

Plus! You will need to learn to code HTML (easy) for a basic website, if you want to get better than that, you will need to know the ins and outs of database connection and also run a MySQL database server on your pc, and be able to code to connect, store and recall information. Plus php is a useful language to know, and for the really flashy Flash/Java/Ajax are nice languages!

-> I have a further solution if you want to help the community with resources join a current site and offer your help - nc-wiki.com are looking for people to add information theres plenty on there for people to do, also im sure the THN has things that arent up to date - or walk throughs for the latest WoC quests etc.

Theres always something to do to help!

/Delphi

P.S. If you want to help with the english wiki then PM me :)

Asurmen Spec Op
15-09-07, 01:21
I run a webserver off the other system in my house, it isnt that hard.

Apocalypsox
15-09-07, 02:01
I run a webserver off the other system in my house, it isnt that hard.

Aye, tis what carnage just PMd me saying, and he managed it in like 3 sentences :D Much love to you Mr. Carnage, you've been very helpful in this endeavor.

Flame Bait
15-09-07, 08:49
You dont need a dedicated server to host "a website" unless you are expecting like 5 million hits a day. You can find plenty of places that can sell you a cheap hosting plan for $5-8 a month that offers everything you will need. If that's to much for your budget then you probably should not be running a website.

Serious_Sam
15-09-07, 22:09
You dont need a dedicated server to host "a website" unless you are expecting like 5 million hits a day. You can find plenty of places that can sell you a cheap hosting plan for $5-8 a month that offers everything you will need. If that's to much for your budget then you probably should not be running a website.

Dude, you have GOT to find out who keeps pissing in your cornflakes!

Apocalypsox
15-09-07, 22:55
I agree Serious =P Except i ignored him a long time ago. I asume all his posts do is cause problems :lol:

Anyways, im fiddling around with some Apache software now, trying to figure out what the unholy hell im doing. If i produce anything worth while, ill post it here.

aKe`cj
16-09-07, 00:15
if you dont have solid experience with it, please keep the internet clean by NOT making your apache accessible for remote users. People setting up servers without proper knowledge and understanding of the security threats are responsible for most DDoS attacks, malicious robots and email-spam as well as various other problems. :(

Apocalypsox
16-09-07, 01:57
if you dont have solid experience with it, please keep the internet clean by NOT making your apache accessible for remote users. People setting up servers without proper knowledge and understanding of the security threats are responsible for most DDoS attacks, malicious robots and email-spam as well as various other problems. :(

I realize this, thats why i said if i got anything worth-while running i would =p I hope i have enough firewalls running (3 1/2) and other crap to keep out any nubs.

Flame Bait
16-09-07, 04:17
Poor kid obviously cant spare $5 for real hosting. tisk tisk..

Anyone care to match my $1 donation so we can pool up and help the scrub?

ashley watts
16-09-07, 12:30

I think he obviously can, but wants to find alternatives, jeez i bet you have lots of friends dont you :p

silent000
16-09-07, 13:57

Looks like the bellend is back

rob444
16-09-07, 14:38
If you want to host a web server on your machine I highly recommend hosting it with Apache (http://www.apache.org).

It also depends on what you want on the website, if you just want to throw in something small with not much graphics an ADSL connection is enough depending on how many users you will get of course. I always run apache on my Windows machine, mainly because I throw junk (pics etc.) in there and link them on IRC, even though I only have 1 mbit upload it's fast enough to satisfy 20 link hungry users.

If you got dynamic IP (static works as well) I guess I could recommend getting one of those dyndns (http://www.dyndns.com/) accounts, so people will find your webserver more easily if your IP would happen to change.

I hope that helps.

Flame Bait
16-09-07, 23:07
I think he obviously can, but wants to find alternatives, jeez i bet you have lots of friends dont you :p

Who needs friends when i have my hand to keep me company at night?

And for the rest of you nubs around here who dont know your heads from your asses. I would suggest setting up EasyPhp on winblows before you go exposing your PC to the world. You can lock down your ports, throw up 15 firewalls and sew your sisters vagina shut. But it wont do you any good if there is a hole in the back door.

Many ISPs also have policies that forbid web servers on non business lines. They can also easily detect you having a server running on port 80 or 8080 so better make damn sure they allow it. Running Apache is something a 6yr old can do although it will only allow you to serve up static documents. When you add on PHP, Perl, MySQL and all that good shit this is where you open a can of worms that you might later regret.

So carry on telling me about my need for friends and knowledge about the industry i work in. Ive only been around like since before the web actually existed in its current form. Probably before most of you grew your first pubic hair.

silent000
17-09-07, 00:12
So far we have established that he is an old grumpy tit with no friends....

I think i hate you more than Nabbl :mad: hmmmActually.....No I dont! :mad:

Flame Bait
17-09-07, 01:30
Im neither old nor grumpy and who needs friends when you have Neocron + Strippers + Booze + Guns + Money + Fap Fap?

Apocalypsox
17-09-07, 02:07
Im neither old nor grumpy and who needs friends when you have Neocron + Strippers + Booze + Guns + Money + Fap Fap?

that had NOTHING to do with my thread. Back on topicz0rz! There really isnt anything left here to cover actually, so ANOTHER TOPICZ0RZ! (As in new thread.)

Flame Bait
19-09-07, 11:38
that had NOTHING to do with my thread.

How would you know?

You said earlier im on your ignore which would mean you are a liar. ;)

Apocalypsox
20-09-07, 00:11
Actually you can click the little button to show your post. Fail. Now bugger out of the thread, i havent got any websites properly running yet so you can criticize my shat first work.

Zeninja
20-09-07, 00:49
Just focus on content. Once you've determined what you've really have to share with us, technical applications become such an unsignificant detail. There are tons of reliable and secured content managers to do the job on your personnal machine.

My 2 cents (of euros ofc)