PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Black Prophecy: Haemorrhoids in Space

Hell-demon
11-09-07, 12:50
A lot of you are giving Reakktor support, admiration, fan sites and first born children for their recently announced game: Black Prophecy. So far we have been shown a handful of eye candy screenshots and a half arsed website about a generic sci-fi plot set in space. KK making a game set in space is about as original as them making a fantasy game set in a world with elves, dwarfs and enchanted phallic swords, because lord knows there aren’t enough games like that on the market.

And that’s the thing- KK have no real grasp of the gaming market. Hence why Neocron flopped in the East.

Reakktor, famed for such memorable games as Piranha, Bermuda Syndrome and Subtrade (heard of any those, probably not), is now giving us a new game which will put Neocron on hold. Neocron is unique in its FPS and RPG blend of online gaming, and has a strong community. It is safe to say there is no other game like it, or at least one with the same atmosphere. However, it also safe to say that KK will give Black Prophecy more attention and neglect Neocron and its community. We have waited months for a patch but KK are too busy working on a game that will be blander than bleach.

Considering Black Prophecy will be up against the likes of EVE and other space games I doubt Black Prophecy will deliver anything original or new to the scene. The screenshots and website provide us with this information:

http://www.blackprophecy.com/screens/BP_GC_5.jpg

Well, we see very pretty graphics but what game nowadays isn’t a pretty cabaret of pixels.
I see asteroids. I see space. To be blunt, space isn’t that exciting. Its exactly that- space, a big nothingness. Comprised of black, asteroids, planets and some one in a souped up ship who is smug they just blasted some one in a weaker less flashy ship. We can also expect in this nothingness the mining of asteroids, which in itself is boring and unoriginal. The idea of hovering over asteroids is neither fun nor innotive.

We have also been told the game will feature vast combat and clan warfare, which we have in Neocron and again is nothing new in most space MMO games. If the screenshots tell us anything it’s mostly asteroids and big bland space.

Here have some more rocks.

http://www.blackprophecy.com/screens/BP_GC_6.jpg

It’s not unlike KK to hype up their games and promise features that don’t come to fruition, almost like Peter-fucking-Molyneux (I think that’s his middle name). We have to look at KK’s track record, and if Neocron has anything to show it’s that content is poorly implemented, not finished, or just simply not there and an empty promise.

Black Prophecy will have a good following, mostly from players sick of EVE, but we can hardly say that KK have done good in their decision to bring out another generic space game. At this point in time we know very little and it is facetious of me to put doubts on Black Prophecy, as it is to praise the game as refreshing and well thought out by KK. Yet, we can see it is another run of the mill fly through space, space and more space while every month KK mine your wallet of precious resources or until you go back to playing EVE.

In the meantime, Neocron will be a unique and original cyberpunk work of virtual art. Maybe not as pretty and complete a piece of art, but not as generic either.

Have some more rocks…. :)

http://www.blackprophecy.com/screens/BP_GC_9.jpg

Brammers
11-09-07, 13:17
Hell-Demon, I'm not quite sure what point you are trying to make.

I know it sounds like a shameless plug, but there is quite a bit of information building up over The Prophecy Network (http://www.prophecy-network.com) in the forums. The other day, someone posted a video link to Holgar playing BP from the Game Convention (http://www.prophecy-network.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13&start=20).

I play EvE as well, which I have to say is a complex game to play, but the way I see BP is the FPS style and simplicity of Neocron without the complexity of EvE. (Which is click and point)

Hell-demon
11-09-07, 13:22
I'm saying KK shouldn't be labelling this game "next generation" (I hate that phrase) when it is gonna be doing what every other space game is doing. The hype surrounding this game is a loud of bullshit and chips.

Dribble Joy
11-09-07, 13:27
That link would be useful if I could read german, alas I don't so I have no idea where the video is.

Brammers
11-09-07, 13:29
I'm saying KK shouldn't be labelling this game "next generation" (I hate that phrase) when it is gonna be doing what every other space game is doing. The hype surrounding this game is a loud of bullshit and chips.

Well we all know here to take KK's marketing talk with a pinch of salt, but it's got everyone in the gaming industry talking about.

So even putting aside the "next generation" KK must had done something right to get them all talking.

Edit:

That link would be useful if I could read german, alas I don't so I have no idea where the video is.

Click on the link, ignore the article text and scroll down to the bottom. Press the Play button! ;)

Dribble Joy
11-09-07, 13:33
What? There is no play button.

There's nothing under the article other than the bottom of the page and all the legal stuffage.

Hell-demon
11-09-07, 13:33
Again, that is just industry hype.

Spore is getting hyped up, Halo 3, Bioshock and any of Peter Molyneux's games get hyped to buggery. Most games get hyped due to flashy graphics, which fall flat when the gameplay is either boring or just plain crap.

Dribble Joy
11-09-07, 13:37
Gameplay means jack to a lot of people, and sales reflect that.

Look at WoW. Pretty as arse (not my festering cheeks, more like Danni Minogue's) but most people here and elsewhere think it's a terrible game.

Brammers
11-09-07, 13:38
What? There is no play button.

There's nothing under the article other than the bottom of the page and all the legal stuffage.

It looks like the video has gone. :(

Hell-demon
11-09-07, 13:45
does that make Brammers a sad panda? :(

aKe`cj
11-09-07, 14:05
It looks like the video has gone. :(

they were forced to remove it ...lets put it on rapidshare :p j/k :angel:

rob444
11-09-07, 14:41
Will black prophecy come with fatals and stuck in sync? :p

JackOfAllTradez
11-09-07, 16:11
Great post Hell-Demon, well said.
Neocron had the biggest pre-game, hell PRE-BETA following I have ever seen.
Over 100 people in irc, several clans, and fansites.
KK made a ton of promises, and they were great ideas. Of course almost none of it made it into retail, and 5 years later it's but a whisper.
Notice how quiet they are about BP?

Hell-demon
11-09-07, 16:17
The perfect analogy for what is happening goes like this:

Mr and Mrs Reakktor are proud to announce the birth of their mutant, three headed baby, Black Prophecy. They love their baby, love giving it attention and they like the attention from everyone else about their next generation sprogling. Meanwhile, sitting in the corner while its parents cooe and attend to Black Prophecy, Neocron; their frist born and oldest, malnutritioned baby is without attention.

It pleads to its parents for attention, but they are too busy making a fuss about the new baby. Eventually Neocron dies/taken by social services.

nabbl
11-09-07, 16:30

HAHAHA LOOOOOL ... OMG ROFL

that one is really new... i cant stop laughing

SnowCrash
11-09-07, 16:54
I strongly recommend to wait for more information before you make any judgements. It is still in an early state and therefore we are careful with what information we reveal.

And neither Neocron will be neglected nor its community. The development has not stopped, the planned release date for the content patch just had to be delayed for stated reasons.

Hell-demon
11-09-07, 16:57
What after the content patch?

Will we still be getting "regular patching"

rob444
11-09-07, 18:42
HAHAHA LOOOOOL ... OMG ROFL

that one is really new... i cant stop laughing

You fail.

LiL T
11-09-07, 19:53
I look forward to seeing what KK will produce, it looks good so far :)

All these people saying "ugh then I guess its goodbye NC" are talking utter rubbish, they havent got a god damn clue, so long as people are playing NC they are still making money...

Clive tombstone
12-09-07, 01:13
Anyone else think its kinda wierd having so many space rocks staying in Neigh perfect orbit around a planet at close unsaid distance from said planet is a tad bit wierd/unbelievable (more so than space flight in wierd ships goes?)?

JackOfAllTradez
12-09-07, 01:17
Making money off NC? Thats funny.
Terra server peaks at 15% (and thats high).
The other 2 don't ever seem higher than 5-7%.
So this is approximately 200 people online at any given time at peak.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say with 200 people online peak, there are around 2000 active accounts. For every one person online, 9 are offline at peak.
What the hell does this game cost per month again? 15 bucks?

So thats 15 bucks a month times 2000 accounts.
This amounts to a whopping 30 000 a month in account fees. 30k a month can not support a business, unless there is 1 employee and he lives in a box.

2000 accounts is a complete guess off the top of my head, feel free to flame it, I could care less.

Hell-demon
12-09-07, 01:20
Perhaps the Nc team are a skeleton crew 8|

kane
12-09-07, 02:27
is neocron not special enough? I want see some the ice fields in a high res shot :(

LiL T
12-09-07, 04:01
Making money off NC? Thats funny.
Terra server peaks at 15% (and thats high).
The other 2 don't ever seem higher than 5-7%.
So this is approximately 200 people online at any given time at peak.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say with 200 people online peak, there are around 2000 active accounts. For every one person online, 9 are offline at peak.
What the hell does this game cost per month again? 15 bucks?

So thats 15 bucks a month times 2000 accounts.
This amounts to a whopping 30 000 a month in account fees. 30k a month can not support a business, unless there is 1 employee and he lives in a box.

2000 accounts is a complete guess off the top of my head, feel free to flame it, I could care less.

So they would be operating at a loss, while developing a totaly new game and still having the necron servers up and runner then?

Right.... Like I said no clue.

JackOfAllTradez
12-09-07, 04:11
1.) I hope NC has more than 2000 active accounts.

2.) Do you think small computer game companies come up with money to make games in savings? Let me be vague here, do you think any company comes up with cold hard cash to produce something from scratch? You get people to invest in you by selling your ideas to them. They make a return on their money if your game succeeds. KK has obviously convinced someone that the world needs another space MMO and that they can compete with EVE, a game with thousands of subscribers.

Many businesses can operate at a loss for a very long time as long as they can show their investors and the bank they are moving forward and will be making money soon.

It is not I who needs to get a fucking clue. There are no resources to move forward with Neocron because KK makes no money on Neocron, and all their funds are directed at BP. This is all speculation, please prove me wrong by all means.

jini
12-09-07, 07:01
I strongly recommend to wait for more information before you make any judgements. It is still in an early state and therefore we are careful with what information we reveal.

And neither Neocron will be neglected nor its community. The development has not stopped, the planned release date for the content patch just had to be delayed for stated reasons.
From my point of view, NC has still at least couple years of survival no matter what. Why pull the plug with 200-250 players active? Will this game ever get rid of the horrid net issues and clipping? Probably not. Also nobody can even predict the future. It's only guess work. So, all that will happen, provided NC keeps this 250 players active, but this is the most reasonable thing to happen, as it already is these last 2-3 years.

kane
12-09-07, 19:14
For people who are new to running MMORPG's I been running them since well hell UO/HB. First time I started to get right into it was Helbreath. Anyways less talk about what things I do..

The point is right now I run 2 MMORPG's one of them I will not talk about peaks around 300-400 people. Server costs are 150month.

Now I use to run another server ages ago about 3 years ago. Amazing packet compression I could run it at home on a cable modem and peack around 650 people with some lag under 600 with no lag.

If KK tells you guys diffrent that costs more then 5k month to run the server costs hes a lier.

Lets say he has 3 people working for him and 2k active accounts..

5k per person a month and 5k to the servers....

so thats uhh....

60k a year per person? this all a guess wait if its 15 month aint that like almost 100k

The point is ur wrong.

Brammers
12-09-07, 19:59
Kane - you make no clear differentation between a server costing about 150 of your chosen currency, and a rack of servers potenially costing 5k a month to run.

Also have you taken into account the cost of bandwidth?

aKe`cj
12-09-07, 20:09
you forgot to take into account the lawsuit costs for running illegal freeshards :p

..also, add the initial hardware costs (server hardware + workstations), insurance, power, rent, the accountant guy and most important:

years of developement time with higher salary costs (more people are needed to get the thing up and going than to maintain and continue the game) yet not a single buck on the income side of things... you dont have them costs, since you simply stole the complete thing. :)

// not saying KK isnt making any profit here (as a company it's one of their prime tasks to make profit and where possible have the revenue grow), but comparing your private hobby with a business is not the way to go...

that said.. no one on here except KK (and most likely not even all of them) can make a halfway accurate statement concerning their financial situation... me neither.

ashley watts
12-09-07, 21:09

/signed, BP is competing against the likes of EvE, i know it will no where near as good as it (even though space games suck), if they practically remade neocron, that on the other hand would be a very good MMO to put on a market =]

Hell-demon
12-09-07, 21:17
Yeah, it's bullshit and chips!

Matanius
12-09-07, 22:44
No-one is going to put that bit in a sig, no matter how many times you repeat it :p

Hell-demon
12-09-07, 23:02
By saying that someone will do it to spite you :rolleyes:

Matanius
12-09-07, 23:03
aye, realised that pretty much soon as I posted it :p

Nidhogg
12-09-07, 23:40
Yeah, it's bullshit and chips!
At least come up with your own insult rather than stealing one of Yahtzee's. :rolleyes:

N

Bredahl
12-09-07, 23:51
And neither Neocron will be neglected nor its community.
Riiiiiight...

Archtemplar
13-09-07, 01:16
Its foolish to speculate how NC is making money. Pulling random digits out of your asses is a piss poor attempt to make a point. Do you honestly think that NC is costing more than its making? KK is neglectful, but not completely ignorant as to not check their NC Bank account at the end of every month.

kane
13-09-07, 01:58
Riiiiiight...

sue him for lying!

JackOfAllTradez
13-09-07, 02:03
For people who are new to running MMORPG's I been running them since well hell UO/HB. First time I started to get right into it was Helbreath. Anyways less talk about what things I do..

The point is right now I run 2 MMORPG's one of them I will not talk about peaks around 300-400 people. Server costs are 150month.

Now I use to run another server ages ago about 3 years ago. Amazing packet compression I could run it at home on a cable modem and peack around 650 people with some lag under 600 with no lag.

If KK tells you guys diffrent that costs more then 5k month to run the server costs hes a lier.

Lets say he has 3 people working for him and 2k active accounts..

5k per person a month and 5k to the servers....

so thats uhh....

60k a year per person? this all a guess wait if its 15 month aint that like almost 100k

The point is ur wrong.

Your post is laughable.

Serious_Sam
14-09-07, 02:30
I would like to say that Kane is full of bullshit and chips.

Apocalypsox
14-09-07, 02:36

agreed.

Now, does anyone know when we get more media? maybe some eye candy of larger ships with comparisons in the background? (I like large ships. The only reason i started playing eve was to fly a Battleship/larger around. I like flying ships that could litterally swallow other ships. (I fly a typhoon.))

kane
14-09-07, 04:39

was not a lie... I been doing them for years ;) a 12 year old could do it hehe I started when I was 15 and now 22 ;)

Asurmen Spec Op
15-09-07, 00:53
I'll lol if this comes out anytime near infinity.
I don't see anything new, anything ground breaking. What exactly 'new' or 'awesome' can we expect? Or yet another freelancer clone?
I agree with you hell-deamon.

Did you hire more devs? Because if not you are neglecting us no matter what you want to say.

Serious_Sam
15-09-07, 03:58
Did you hire more devs? Because if not you are neglecting us no matter what you want to say.

Meeeoww!

Flame Bait
15-09-07, 08:21
Also have you taken into account the cost of bandwidth?

Bandwidth prices back in 1996 were around $6-8/GB where the average person today is paying $.25-.10/GB for high speed connectivity. I was buying Level3 bandwidth for my boxes at $15/Mbps about 5 years ago while most suckers were paying $65-80/Mbps. If you don't have a clue how to negotiate better deals then you can enjoy getting porked from behind.

Serious_Sam
15-09-07, 22:08
Bandwidth prices back in 1996 were around $6-8/GB where the average person today is paying $.25-.10/GB for high speed connectivity. I was buying Level3 bandwidth for my boxes at $15/Mbps about 5 years ago while most suckers were paying $65-80/Mbps. If you don't have a clue how to negotiate better deals then you can enjoy getting porked from behind.

I don't know what backstreet deals you made, but in today's business, there is no room for haggling.

Flame Bait
16-09-07, 04:15
I don't know what backstreet deals you made, but in today's business, there is no room for haggling.

There is plenty of room for wheeling and dealing when you talk the right color. I go to Best Buy and ask the manager to give me a better prices always. Its simple as that 10-20% reduction depending on their markup because they want my continued business. I bought 3 printers once and a new set of Klipsch speakers for my PC. As per the usual i asked for a nice deal and they hooked me up $80 worth of paper for free. So if your web host wont cut deals there are 14354664 others waiting in line for your business.

Most Verio resellers can sell you bandwidth 25% cheaper then what Verio will sell to you for direct. They still have a 10% markup and higher volume resellers are getting it even cheaper. Level 3 for the big guys is same price as Cogent $10/Mbps and has been for a number of years.

William Antrim
17-09-07, 22:32

careful, i got edited for asking the same thing.

:p

William Antrim
17-09-07, 22:34

There is always room to haggle, no matter WHAT youre buying. In some parts of the world it is considered rude not to haggle.

Serious_Sam
18-09-07, 00:02
There is always room to haggle, no matter WHAT youre buying. In some parts of the world it is considered rude not to haggle.

lol, reference: Life of Brian.

LiL T
18-09-07, 21:57
There is plenty of room for wheeling and dealing when you talk the right color. I go to Best Buy and ask the manager to give me a better prices always. Its simple as that 10-20% reduction depending on their markup because they want my continued business. I bought 3 printers once and a new set of Klipsch speakers for my PC. As per the usual i asked for a nice deal and they hooked me up $80 worth of paper for free. So if your web host wont cut deals there are 14354664 others waiting in line for your business.

Most Verio resellers can sell you bandwidth 25% cheaper then what Verio will sell to you for direct. They still have a 10% markup and higher volume resellers are getting it even cheaper. Level 3 for the big guys is same price as Cogent $10/Mbps and has been for a number of years.

Thats great news, I think I'll just pop down to my local ASDA store and demand a cheaper price for a tin of beans haha. They would just tell me to f**k right off I think... Where do you get you broadband? The local cable guy probably piping it in from your neighbour no doubt :lol:

/edit

I'll ring BT tomorrow and say "oi I want cheaper price broadband you C#8T!"

f*****g seriously...

-FN-
19-09-07, 00:11
I have to agree with the underlying point of the original post (at least this is what I took it to be):

Where's the originality? What's the key marketing point besides 'pretty graphics'?

EVE Online already has the highest populations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EVE_Online#Technical_milestones) in the space RPG genre. Their graphics are above average. The game has more depth than I cared to learn.

If BP is more PvP/FPS (think I read that somewhere?) related, Vendetta Online (http://www.vendetta-online.com/) already fills that niche for the Windows, Mac, AND Linux platform.

Now if you can have ship pvp, or run around the ship and PvP, or land on planets/stations and PvP, now you're talking next-level game development.

But with titles like Spore (http://www.spore.com/about.php) and Stargate Worlds (http://www.stargateworlds.com/) on the horizon, Fantasy RPGs and Space RPGs are not going to get any significant chunk of the market without a real unique gameplay selling point. I thought I heard about a Zombie-based MMORPG awhile ago, but can't find any info on it now. That would be a great new genre to explore... zombies, maybe other mutations mirroring vampire or werewolf characteristics. Then a human bounty hunter class excelling in technology. Not a completely new idea, but for the MMORPG realm, there hasn't been a "Top 10" software title with that genre so there's room for creativity and competition.

Take a look at the unique approach of Spore, or the fact that Stargate's growth is only limited to the developers creation. Want to expand a world? Add a Stargate. It can link to a place 100% different than any other planet already in the game. Want to link servers? Or come out with an expansion so big it's practically another server? Add a Supergate.

BP seems to be Planetside/Neocron/every other FPS game, swap out the player with ships, and add group-oriented tasks. Very Vendetta Online sounding so far.

It's sad that an MMORPG in the Sci-Fi/Post Apocolyptic realms has YET to break into any significant market share. The Matrix flopped. What was that other German MMORPG like Neocron? SWG's limited success was only due to the fact that it was riding on the coattails of the Star Wars Franchise. Twilight Earth sounded great and had a sound foundation with the Source engine, now it's all in Japanese or something until they finish and reskin it for English players. Fallen Earth has YET to be released. Just look at the list of MMORPGs (http://mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?GAMEID=0&bhcp=1) and it's plain to see the market is FLOODED with the same ideas over and over again.

NC had a niche and lost it due to lack of development power (in my opinion), which was probably directly related to funding, but that's neither here nor there. A game with the pace and population of Planetside in it's prime, with the depth of Neocron's cities, characters, and items, and the customization of.. well there has yet to be a game that I'm happy with customization... oh wait, I'm describing my wish for Elder Scrolls: Oblivion to be a Post-apocolyptic MMORPG again :p

But anyway, time will tell as more details get released regarding BP. I wish Reakktor the best of luck with their new flagship product (no pun intended), but thus far, it's not made it onto my radar of upcoming games I'm interested in.

Apocalypsox
19-09-07, 00:16
Twilight Earth

Twilight WAR :( Shameful, Mr. fucknut. Also, still nearly in beta. Only need to get good hosting for it.

Combine Neocron and EVE and you have instant Winrar. Hell, Combine NC with new graphics and some advertising and you have instant Winrar these days. If you want to do something revolutionary, and kick EVE off its pedistal, you need to do something new and add a completely new aspect to the game. (Real planets you can land on and mine/gather food/attack aliens (NC aspect?) Collect resources for fuel, whatever)

Also, FPS ship combat. EVE is fine and all, but all it is is point and click. I want to be able to do some uber evasive maneuvers while firing my anti-missile-missiles at evading lazer fire, all while keeping my autocannons aimed at the helm of the enemy ship raping it. (In other words no pod shit, we need cockpits -.-)

Also, HARHARHAR I BEAT YOUR POST NIDDY!

Eep! :angel:

Nidhogg
19-09-07, 00:16
I have to agree with the underlying point of the original post (at least this is what I took it to be):

Where's the originality? What's the key marketing point besides 'pretty graphics'?
Well there's the problem. All that's been officially released into the public domain so far are some screenshots (and a brief description). You should refrain from making any conclusions for now (other than, as you say, the screenies are pretty). I agree with Snow; wait and see. More info will be released Soon(tm)! :p

N
/edit -

Also, HARHARHAR I BEAT YOUR POST NIDDY!
Instaban, tbh. :p

-FN-
19-09-07, 00:21
Hah, Twilight WAR, right. Was combining that and Fallen Earth in my head. Long day at work :(

And Nid, I hear ya - hence my last line there - time will tell. I always have my ear to the ground looking for my next gaming addiction ;)

StevenJ
19-09-07, 01:48
To tell the truth...

I'm more than prepared to give KK the chance to woo me with another MMO, another Reakktor universe, another chance to be a noob (careful now!) and take another metaphorical step beyond the "big door" to see what's out there...

Gunslinger
26-09-07, 00:14
Well there's the problem. All that's been officially released into the public domain so far are some screenshots (and a brief description). You should refrain from making any conclusions for now (other than, as you say, the screenies are pretty). I agree with Snow; wait and see. More info will be released Soon(tm)!

Hate to say it nidhogg youve answered the question. If Bp had anything special that would be the selling point not a few random screenshots that all look he same.

james_finn
26-09-07, 01:46
Hate to say it nidhogg youve answered the question. If Bp had anything special that would be the selling point not a few random screenshots that all look he same.

Yes but your forgetting about the viciousness of the gaming industry - release the good information and before you know it, its in someone elses game before yours. Im sure ReaKKtor have some things up their sleeves but for the meantime we need to be content with the speculation at http://www.prophecy-network.com and any news that is released will also be highlighted on the TPN (http://www.prophecy-network.com) when its released.

Sorry for the shameless plugs :angel:

/Delphi

Nidhogg
26-09-07, 01:47
Just wait and see is all. ;)

N

neai
26-09-07, 05:15
Also, FPS ship combat. EVE is fine and all, but all it is is point and click.

The point and click combat is very cheap bandwidth-wise, so that's probably one of the reasons why they grew so big. Less money spent on servers and bandwidth meant more money for hiring developers.

Apocalypsox
26-09-07, 05:59
The point and click combat is very cheap bandwidth-wise, so that's probably one of the reasons why they grew so big. Less money spent on servers and bandwidth meant more money for hiring developers.

If i wanted to play WoW, i would. In a Space MMO Based around guns and weaponry, i want to SHOOT something.

Selendor
26-09-07, 16:06
I can see both sides of this thread, there are justified concerns of a community that has seen Neocron shrink to the shadow it is today - KK will need to demonstrate why they will do a better job with Black Prophecy.

But equally, if they can build a space combat game with the atmosphere of Neocron, and find that niche away from Eve, I believe there is a market for a second large space MMO. KK must think the same or they wouldn't have started on this.

Of course, having played Eve, I think atmosphere wise its very close to Neocron, in the cuthroat way combat goes down, and griefing is part of the everyday life in that game. Plus when you consider they are revamping the graphics, and adding a first person component, KK must find a good solution to rival them.

daughterolilith
26-09-07, 21:44
im not interested in this new game in the least, it looks dead boring, i am not interested in spaceships at all

but I am really liking neocron, so I hope money from this new game goes to improving neocron which would be a much better idea - or making a complete remake of neocron with no bugs updated more modern chat system etc

Forget My Name
27-09-07, 17:09
but I am really liking neocron, so I hope money from this new game goes to improving neocron which would be a much better idea - or making a complete remake of neocron with no bugs updated more modern chat system etc

Been waiting over 5 years for that... So good luck waiting!

Serious_Sam
28-09-07, 02:08
This is what i'm hoping for, BP will be a cool space MMO that will appeal to a larger portion of the online gaming community. Its new and done by KK (or whoever's neck they seem to be breathing down) so i'm assuming its gonna be stable and functional.

This is good news for the non-NC players 'cause your average gamer couldn't/wouldn't put up with the stuff we do ('cause we're tuff and stuff), so you have here a straight foreward game that should be easy to maintain.

So what we will have in the end is one game that will give us(KK) more money and need less dev-time, and one game (NC) that doesn't provide alot of money and needs more dev-time.

See where i'm going with this? So if KK do as i command them, i'm sure eventually they will have 2 great games. But hey, its just a hope.

trigger hurt
08-10-07, 03:38
I strongly recommend to wait for more information before you make any judgements.

A long long time ago, someone "strongly recommended" that we not speculate about what Neocron would become.

You know how I feel about it?

Right now, looking back over the past few years, I feel like KK used myself and quite a few other people to beta test their code.

Forget My Name
08-10-07, 15:08
A long long time ago, someone "strongly recommended" that we not speculate about what Neocron would become.

You know how I feel about it?

Right now, looking back over the past few years, I feel like KK used myself and quite a few other people to beta test their code.

You still are beta testing their code. Doesn't take a genius to see Neocron was a stepping stone for other projects.

Nidhogg
08-10-07, 17:04
You still are beta testing their code. Doesn't take a genius to see Neocron was a stepping stone for other projects.
Ok now you're really beginning to annoy me. A stepping stone? A five year stepping stone, no less. Do you even have a game account any more?

N

trigger hurt
09-10-07, 02:51

I haven't had an active account in a few months. Prior to that, my account stayed inactive for 2 years or so. In other words, I'm not playing NC.

Apocalypsox
09-10-07, 04:28

If their "Stepping Stone" Was good enough to keep me around for so long, im eager to see their first real project.

Forget My Name
09-10-07, 05:21
If their "Stepping Stone" Was good enough to keep me around for so long, im eager to see their first real project.

You can bait a dog with poo. Try it. Looks like you are.

Ok now you're really beginning to annoy me. A stepping stone? A five year stepping stone, no less. Do you even have a game account any more?

N

Actually I have two active accounts.

Too bad you allow some forum loser like me to annoy you. Maybe a bit more skin is needed?

- edit -

actually, scratch that. I just canceled both my accounts. I am sure you can snoop around Nid to find out I ain't lying.

I forgot how much of an asshole you are.

nabbl
09-10-07, 09:23
nice one... :)

forum account gone.

Bredahl
09-10-07, 10:26
Nid you damn fool.. Stop scaring the customers away! :eek:

jini
09-10-07, 11:47
actually, scratch that. I just canceled both my accounts. I am sure you can snoop around Nid to find out I ain't lying.

Great News!!! you should have done it long ago...
You are a demoralized decadence idiot... now gtfo of our game

Nidhogg
10-10-07, 00:20

I must be slacking.

N

trigger hurt
10-10-07, 04:04
I must be slacking.

N

If I've only learned one thing by visiting these forums since both my accounts ran out, it's to not piss off the guy with the power to ban you.

One day, you might want to visit again.

onero S
10-10-07, 04:57
Seriously,

Nerocron does definitly have its faults including balance (I am not a fan of 2.2 in general), gliches, and graphics, but it is at its core a great game.

Back in its day It was fairly cutting edge and the most fun I have ever had in a game. So what if they are making a new mmo, tbh its time, games don't last forever, neocron was amazing but its becoming dated. To really satisfy the poplulation they would pretty much have to code a new game.

Diabllo isn't still being updated, is anyone yelling at blizz for making new games? No. If you're not happy with nc then quit, there is no one stopping you, but don't talk shit about one of the most amazing mmos ever built. If more companies focused on atmosphere, excitment, and immersion like nc, and less on stupid graphics and gimiky gear, mmos would be in a better state.

Anyway, hats off to kk for making nc last as long as it has, 5 years is a TON of time for an mmo to stick around. They made a fantastic origional game and now lets see how their next one is.

Btw, Nidd, you rule.

Odin
10-10-07, 05:14
Lets keep some cool guys.

In my own opinion it's great to see 10tacle investing into KK. I think it goes without saying that Black Prophecy indirectly helps Neocron because the healthier KK is the more likely Neocron stays around a long time. Lets not forget that they kept a NC1 server going until there was a grand total of 5 people playing it at the end.

I myself am interested in Black Prophecy, not only because it looks fabulous, but because of the backing. Remember Neocron was always a small team (around a dozen) that was built up from scratch without a publisher backing (I believe CDV wasn't signed at the time till a good way into beta). Now the company is highly backed by 10tacle with a solid size of a team for a triple AAA project, far superior engine and I can only imagine tools (cause I'm about in the know as you guys are...I know notta that wasn't published at IGN etc :p ). Not to mention 10tacle's built a pretty good rep the last few years as a publisher.

Lets also not forget if there's one thing you can say about Neocron was that it was unconventional at the time, so I fully expect some interesting game choices that you probably wouldn't ever find anywhere else. Suffice to say I think you'll see a much more organized, polished project and we all got our lists of cool things/upgrades/changes we've wanted to do since NC1 was released from the top right down to even my job supporting you guys (and gals!). So I hope you at least give the guys a chance as the project is still a ways off and I'm sure we have only heard a fraction of what's going on with this project.

But that's just my opinion :p

William Antrim
10-10-07, 21:36
whats the chances of them porting our beloved nc on to that shiny new engine then?

Teccy answers only please or laymans terms will be good but I dont want someone answering who doesnt have a clue basically.

Hell-demon
22-10-07, 15:48
I think BP will be the final nail in the already nail infested Neocron coffin. The early signs of this can be seen in the announcement that the latest content patch will be delayed so that KK star child can have more attention.

Considering the population is shrinking, lack of updates and general player interest, we can see that Neocron is maybe on its last legs.

Will there be continueing patching after BP and large content uprgrades? After all, everytime a big patch comes out the population increases slightly for a small period of time then decreases due to alck of support.

I urge KK not to put all there eggs in one genric basket and remember that NC is unique, far more so than some run of the mill space game.

SnowCrash
22-10-07, 16:01
Nobody ever said that we are canceling Neocron or plan to cancel it. As stated, the update had to be delayed for given reasons. So please spare us with your death songs.

Hell-demon
22-10-07, 17:03
I'm just saying that players will lose interest. You may not have to cancel it, just that the population will become so low that Neocron will become a ghost game.

Cromac
25-10-07, 23:27
I think it's silly to throw in another game of the same genre of an already popular MMO, when what the MMO market is crying out for is more innovative games like Neocron, tabula rasa was my only hope for something similar to this game and it is terrible to put it nicely.

I was just dissapointed that you didn't choose to go for another MMOFPS game with a different setting or maybe even decided to go for a seperate game for Tokyo 2 which was mentioned in the lore. That would've given you the chance to make a similar game but different at the same time. But hey what do I know I'm just an ex 5 year neocron player with no MMO's that truly interest me anymore :p

Hell-demon
26-10-07, 00:17
The idea for BP was probably concieved out of making the 10tacle executives happy and mercyful. After all, why should KK get financial backing if they are still fiddling about with Neocron and not something new and "refreshing".

Although that's just my theory.

Though it is likely some executive big wigs wanted KK to deliver a new shiny toy. I think it's great KK are making a new game - shame it isn't original like Neocron.

Cromac
26-10-07, 00:30
Yeah exactly what I'm getting at, I'm sure BP will be a good game. I just got excited at the idea that KK would be working on a new MMOFPS rather than a space action shooter which unfortunatly is a genre I never really got into.

yuuki
26-10-07, 03:33
battletech online would be great there are also spaceships *hints at kk* :p

Selket
26-10-07, 18:07
KK should steal so much as Possible from Xbtf (and the other sequels) UT2003-4 and NEOCRON2

The ships graphics trade system from X

The aiming and fighting feeling from UT

and the story and dirty atmosphaere from Neocron

mixed well by 22 Coders compiled in 2 years then there should come a really nice game out.

And dont forgot to hire some guy that can cook good coffee this man is more importend then the CEO for this project.

for me i think BP will be a great game. the facts are nice. And if they make a Linux client it would be nicer^^

Logan_storm_03
26-10-07, 22:39
As long as Black Prohecy is a 5 year stepping stone and to a brand new, revamped Neocron 3 I don't give a fuck tbh :p

Looks good, keep up the work.

Black-Flames
26-02-08, 09:17
Lets keep some cool guys.

In my own opinion it's great to see 10tacle investing into KK. I think it goes without saying that Black Prophecy indirectly helps Neocron because the healthier KK is the more likely Neocron stays around a long time. Lets not forget that they kept a NC1 server going until there was a grand total of 5 people playing it at the end.

But that's just my opinion :p

Very funny. ^.~
Ever seen Mars or Merc Percentage?
0-1% on Merc, so why not shut it down either? -.-
Sorry, but you shut those Nc1 servs down and KEPT a Server up after that?
[ Edited ]
This is not a Flame, but please, if you post, think about it first, since its your game and you should know best.
Am i right?;)

About the Topic;

Graphics => X³: Reunion
Gameplay => Eve Online

A waste of Ressources and Money, since IF and only IF kk is planning to do the Neocron tactic (as to be read above one time again ^.~) on BP again, BP won't even compare to the likes of EVE and/or others.

It's was said earlier, kk hasn't even a tiny bit of feeling for markets. :rolleyes:

Asia and Cyberpunk?
Ever seen?
No?
Theres a Reason why.

Certain players of certain countries play certain games.

If kk really wants to do something for Neocron or BP, they should put a Demo on some European Game Mags, like they did with Nc. (And maybe fix the tutorial mode, since it has almost nothing to do with real nc, when it comes to skills and so on ^.~)

That Demo caught my eye back then, and here i'm playin' nc since years.

so why not do those things again huh? ;)

Nytewolf2k7
26-02-08, 09:55
I actually look forward to Black Prophecy somewhat, I will sign up for the beta when it becomes available, If only to find and report each and every bug I find. If I like it I'd subscribe :)

L0KI
26-02-08, 10:57
Very funny. ^.~
Ever seen Mars or Merc Percentage?
0-1% on Merc, so why not shut it down either? -.-
Sorry, but you shut those Nc1 servs down and KEPT a Server up after that?
[ Edited ]
This is not a Flame, but please, if you post, think about it first, since its your game and you should know best.
Am i right?;)

About the Topic;

Graphics => X³: Reunion
Gameplay => Eve Online

A waste of Ressources and Money, since IF and only IF kk is planning to do the Neocron tactic (as to be read above one time again ^.~) on BP again, BP won't even compare to the likes of EVE and/or others.

It's was said earlier, kk hasn't even a tiny bit of feeling for markets. :rolleyes:

Asia and Cyberpunk?
Ever seen?
No?
Theres a Reason why.

Certain players of certain countries play certain games.

If kk really wants to do something for Neocron or BP, they should put a Demo on some European Game Mags, like they did with Nc. (And maybe fix the tutorial mode, since it has almost nothing to do with real nc, when it comes to skills and so on ^.~)

That Demo caught my eye back then, and here i'm playin' nc since years.

so why not do those things again huh? ;)

You have bumped a 4 month old thread, when there's already an active one of a very similar discussion:

http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?t=141898

Hell-demon
26-02-08, 17:58
At least sticky this thread :D

Lodar
26-02-08, 19:48
L0KI has a point; this thread has a much newer incarnation, and everyone knows how much I hate thread bumping. ;)

Please use the recent thread to discuss Black Prophecy. Thanks.

Thread closed.