PDA

View Full Version : Neocron and Vista.

Davis
30-08-07, 12:18
Sorry if this question has been asked before, but is there any chance you can run Neocron on Windows Vista?

pottburter
30-08-07, 12:50
It works.
Just run it as administrator and it will fly.

Zefrian
30-08-07, 13:20
I admit having no Windows Vista.

But why does it need to be run with administrative privileges??

As far as i know it makes only rare use of the windows registry. The main problem would be, that NC needs write access to its own directory.

Therefore it should NOT be installed unter "c:/programm files/", but at some other destination like "d:/mygames/nc2/" and then give the user-group your login belongs to "full write access" to this directory.

Or is it some kind of new problem?

nabbl
30-08-07, 13:52
no its ok when u have full rights to access the game folder.

Davis
30-08-07, 15:55
It works.
Just run it as administrator and it will fly.

Can you please explain me how to do that with Vista?

So far, I've downloaded the game from fileplanet, so I could test the game with a trial account, before I re-activate my real account. I heard a lot of things about this game changed.

The problem is, when I click the Neocron.exe, my computer freeze. I've tried about 3-4 times now and I get the same result everytime. The computer is rather new and should handle Neocron without any problems.

CoreInsanity
30-08-07, 21:46
The only problem I have had with running Neocron on Vista is where the UAC (User Access Control - the thing that asks you for permission to do stuff) is turned on and prevents the launcher from patching client.exe

Simply turned that off, and it worked.

edit:

I admit having no Windows Vista.

But why does it need to be run with administrative privileges??

As far as i know it makes only rare use of the windows registry. The main problem would be, that NC needs write access to its own directory.

Therefore it should NOT be installed unter "c:/programm files/", but at some other destination like "d:/mygames/nc2/" and then give the user-group your login belongs to "full write access" to this directory.

Or is it some kind of new problem?

neocron installs to *:\Program Files\Neocron2 on vista and XP. Mygames afaik is simply for the games to store stuff if they choose to take advantage of it (Such as saved games / Screenshots / Settings / etc).

@Nabbl: As far as I can tell, UAC limits your administrative rights and such, and asks you if you want to perform actions. So in a sense, from what I gather, unless its off you dont truly *have* full administrative rights. Keep in mind - thats based off what I have read on other forums and seen so far, I have not actually really looked into it.

pottburter
30-08-07, 21:51
Can you please explain me how to do that with Vista? *zip*

Right-click on the launcher icon, select "Run as Administrator".

Thanks to Vista's User Account Control, Apps started by the Administrator don't start with administrative rights by default.

Zef is absolutly right about that. Most programs need administravie privileges because they want to write in their home directory. In Vista's security concept, users don't have write access to any vital system directories (like the Program Files dir). Only users with admin privileges are permitted full access, that's why the uac commes up every time you change something in the those directories.

So my suggestion is a fast and dirty solution, Zef's is the proper way to go :)

Hope that helped.

pottburter
30-08-07, 22:08
@Nabbl: As far as I can tell, UAC limits your administrative rights and such, and asks you if you want to perform actions. So in a sense, from what I gather, unless its off you dont truly *have* full administrative rights. Keep in mind - thats based off what I have read on other forums and seen so far, I have not actually really looked into it.

Basicly, that's correct.
The main security risk in working/playing with an administrative account is, that any program started runs with full access rights to the whole computer. So any maleware trying to infect your system gets all it needs for free to turn your computer to a minion of evil ;)
Vista's UAC protects you by starting programs only with a minimum of permissions and actively asking the user for permission to proceed if an app needs more rights.

Deactivating the UAC is a bad choise imho, because you're denying yourself one of the good features of Vista.

CoreInsanity
30-08-07, 23:10
Basicly, that's correct.
The main security risk in working/playing with an administrative account is, that any program started runs with full access rights to the whole computer. So any maleware trying to infect your system gets all it needs for free to turn your computer to a minion of evil ;)
Vista's UAC protects you by starting programs only with a minimum of permissions and actively asking the user for permission to proceed if an app needs more rights.

Deactivating the UAC is a bad choise imho, because you're denying yourself one of the good features of Vista.

I disagree, and I find it one of the most annoying features of vista there is. Quote from some one on the EVE forums:

According to MS representatives (This was told to me at a trade show my work sent me to) the major function of the UAC is to make users think that Vista is ultra secure. While it is way more secure, most home users are not going to benefit from it.

So it's basically a good idea, but was not implemented in Xp because it was not very necessary, it was included in Vista as another sales pitch.

I personally do not *need* UAC to prevent malware, I dont get malware / spyware / etc. I scan for it regularly, I do not do things to get malware / spyware / viruses / etc. Noone but me goes on my computer - there for there is no 'friend' or 'parent' that could cause any of this. And most of the people I know online are also like me. Most people who get spyware / viruses / malware / etc are the people who open mails that say "YOU HAVE WON A FREE PLASMA SCREEN TV" (I dont get spam either), and stuff of that sort.

For me it is just annoying, though, I can see how it could be useful.

Zefrian
31-08-07, 01:38
neocron installs to *:\Program Files\Neocron2 on vista and XP. Mygames afaik is simply for the games to store stuff if they choose to take advantage of it (Such as saved games / Screenshots / Settings / etc).oh ... sorry, you misunderstood me a little bit. I did not meant "C:\documents and settings\username\mygames\*" (or how it is named in english versions of Windows?). I meant some user created individual directory. Let me give another example:

K:\all_my_lovely_games\neocron_2-2\*

ashley watts
31-08-07, 02:41
Damn vista !

a4nic8er
31-08-07, 09:28
You could use the same method for running with a limited account as on XP: Add the user name to the security of the game folder and give him Full Control.

Serious_Sam
01-09-07, 00:18
Wow, reading this thread confirms my opinion of vista being nothing more than a drain on resources.

CoreInsanity
02-09-07, 06:48
Wow, reading this thread confirms my opinion of vista being nothing more than a drain on resources.

Actually, I am running:

Core 2 Duo E6600
XFX8800GTX
2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 ram (Dual channel)

and it runs faster than my XP did (Using vista ultimate). Though, it depends on your hardware, I have a m8 who is trying it, and his runs just about the same (But I get a 5.3 base on the vista performance thing, and he gets a 3 something).

Davis
03-09-07, 14:06
Thanks for the help everybody. I will be home again in a few days and will see ( hope ) if it works :)

Strife
05-09-07, 14:56
A friend of mine tried playing it on vista....don't bother. Performance is crap. Take a buggy client with a crap OS, and you get the picture :P

pottburter
05-09-07, 20:33
A friend of mine tried playing it on vista....don't bother. Performance is crap. Take a buggy client with a crap OS, and you get the picture :P

Tell your friend to buy a non-crappy computer, or to get the latest Vista patches. ;)
I play NC on my Notebook (1.6Ghz DC, 2GB Ram, 7400 nvidia) and it runs smoothly with all details set to max.

And about how crappy Vista is, we'll talk about it in about half a year.
That's how long it took for all the critics to drop W2k and become happy XP users. :)