PDA

View Full Version : [MERGED] Bioshock

Heavyporker
21-08-07, 16:42
The game looks like it'll have fucking GORGEOUS environments, and I'd LOVE to look at every area in the game.

However, the " Boo Rawr Kill Blood Blood" thing is rather putting me off.

nobby
21-08-07, 16:46
I saw the gameplay video of it...

looked nothing special to me :(

Zeninja
21-08-07, 16:48
This game looks like HeXen with 2007 graphics.

$ir Mafia
21-08-07, 17:02
i hope it will be a system shock2 with better gfx

Apocalypsox
21-08-07, 17:20
it probably will Heavy. But i wouldnt see why, killing Big Daddys is gonna be great fun :D

Odin
21-08-07, 19:10
Got my limited edition waiting......must.....get...........off........work.

Archtemplar
21-08-07, 19:14
I played the demo on xbox live and I must say - aside from looking very nice, the gameplay is enjoyable, albeit hard. Its hard to say how it'll play after a long run thu

CMaster
21-08-07, 19:21
Oooh, its out today.
Didn't realise.
Any news on a PC demo?
Hmm, $55 over steam. Maybe not.

General Crazy
21-08-07, 19:49
Oooh, its out today.
Didn't realise.
Any news on a PC demo?
Hmm, $55 over steam. Maybe not.

PC Demo came out last night was a good demo last about 15 minutes which took 4 hours to download.

jini
22-08-07, 09:22
I had it preloaded and preordered, yet it started d/ling more stuff again today. It's strange because I thought I could play it as soon they would release it on steam, which it was yesterday at 22.00 CET

Nobby its got awesome gfx/environments what are you saying?

Necpock
22-08-07, 09:42
£25 preorder from play.com...

Wewt, Should be getting it a day earlier because of post etc =) I can't wait to get Bioshock tbh tbh, and then once completed, straight to play.com and ordering Crysis omg omg can't get much better then that tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh

So excited ><

Bredahl
22-08-07, 09:45
Fuck that shit, Neocron is where its happening! i need more ppl to kill!

Necpock
22-08-07, 10:21
Fuck that shit, Neocron is where its happening! i need more ppl to kill!

at urm, 08:45 in the morning? :lol: gl with that ;P

Brammers
22-08-07, 10:54
Hmm got the demo downloaded on Steam. If it's any good, I'll buy the full version. $55 works out about £27 does it not?

rob444
22-08-07, 11:13
Apparently the gameplay is really sweet as well.

jini
22-08-07, 12:08
Ok its amazing.
Art is wonderfull, it's like a trip to the past.
All in retro atmosphere, gpu cards must work to extreme.
Intro scene left, and i was alone in the sea. It was blended so nice, that I didnt realize that I was already in game!!! You cant believe that sea water was rendered, instead of filmed. As for the rest....

Nullvoid
22-08-07, 14:44
It's good during the set-pieces, but the general gameplay as you're running around killing random 'splicers' is pretty dire...

Odin
22-08-07, 23:39
It may be FPS'ish but for me what makes the game is the style, atmosphere and the top notch ambient sounds and vocals.

Don't blast thru it like your playing halo. Take it cautiously like you were actually there and explore and I bet you have more fun that way.

And damn those Big Daddies can take a beating!

Necpock
23-08-07, 02:00
I havnt got it yet :( is there online play?

jini
23-08-07, 06:40
For those who play Bioschock, here is how many similarities I have discovered so far:
1. You can hack :p yea, pretty much like you do in NC
2. You can Para :p holy para like how it should have always worked in NC :p, almost fall from my chair when I cast bolts on enemies ... Hilarious
3. There is an Fire Apocalypse ingame :)
4. There are GRs
5. Plasmides can be thought of as nanites

And all this after couple hours of playing it... Too many similarities if you ask me, but this is also where it all ends. There are no bugs, graphics are well... stellar, great sounds...

Zeninja
23-08-07, 07:03
Don't wanna spoil your fun dude, but these similarities can be found in hundreds of videogames and fairy tales through the ages.

Magics like ice/fire balls, computer hacking metaphores, teleportation and microscopic entities enhancing body's capabilities haven't waited for Neocron or any other videogame to fullfil our wet dreams :rolleyes:

That's the second thread about Bioshock out there, and from the massive free AD at the couple of forums I'm wasting my time on, I can tell this game is going to be very popular. So sad that nowadays graphics and terrific sound effects are dragging so much people with the detriment of the contents. Ze Tetris era is so far away.

Don't even wonder why rich games (in term of contents and originality) like Neocron will always be niche games with the profit of blockbusters like Wow and Bioshock. This said, to be honest, I personnally could buy shit like Bioshock just for the pleasure of staring for hours at every single vegetation detail.

jini
23-08-07, 09:18
Well, indeed I dont play every game that goes out, so I wouldn't know, but on the other hand I see many similarities.

It's not that vegetation is detailed. That would be just too easy. It's everything over detailed. Mobs move on their own minds / AI, which is just hilarious. Then its the art deco of 30's, it's like living in citizen Caine's world again. Immense work. Where did they found all that retro art? Or did they reinvented and used the style once more?

Zheo
23-08-07, 10:00
Personally I want to see Fallout go MMO i love the idea of being able to turn someone into a puddle of mush after a single shot on full auto at point blank, and HAHA to the twat that runs round a corning thinking I am still running from him.

However their are alot of concepts from Cyperpunk 2020 by Rtalsorian games that would make an amazing MMORPG, such as decent implants sod this crappy " bone inforcement" I want full cybernetic replacement limbs with pop up guns. I want to beable to cripple and remove limbs with melee and ranged weapons. I want to beable to fire pistols, rifles and cannons instead of having just one to pick from i want to beable to lob a grenade into a pack of enemies and watch them either scatter to live or be blown apart.

However until I win the lotto and make my own MMO I doubt I will ever see any of it. Nice to dream though ;p

CMaster
23-08-07, 13:01
For those who play Bioschock, here is how many similarities I have discovered so far:
1. You can hack :p yea, pretty much like you do in NC
2. You can Para :p holy para like how it should have always worked in NC :p, almost fall from my chair when I cast bolts on enemies ... Hilarious
3. There is an Fire Apocalypse ingame :)
4. There are GRs
5. Plasmides can be thought of as nanites

And all this after couple hours of playing it... Too many similarities if you ask me, but this is also where it all ends. There are no bugs, graphics are well... stellar, great sounds...

Somebody never played System Shock 2.

rob444
23-08-07, 13:23
It's singleplayer only.

I've also promised to record me wrenching those big daddies to destruction. I want to do it on HARD but I heard they are "immune" to the wrench when they've reached nearly zero health :/.

SnowCrash
23-08-07, 13:24
Anyone else seen blue smoke yet? :D

http://kotaku.com/gaming/some-dude-says/bioshock-killed-my-computer-292046.php

sanityislost
23-08-07, 13:53
Yea this is one game i really need, shame my comp has a better chance of
turning into a hot chick with huge tits than running it. :/

SiL ..:..

ashley watts
23-08-07, 14:05
Whats bioshock like then ?, i may get it, is it free roaming ? or like a story you gotta stick to ?

Hell-demon
23-08-07, 14:40
Right, lets have a definitive Bioshock thread.

I played the demo of it yesterday. Kept me amused and all but it really lacked Role Play mechanics. Still it was highly enjoyable.

Now lets not spiral into other threads about Bioshock and keep it all here. Anyone got the special edition Bioshock? You get a Big Daddy toy apparently.

Zeninja
23-08-07, 14:43
[ edited ]

Hell-demon
23-08-07, 14:45
Don't spam. Please.

Please!

Trivaldi
23-08-07, 14:51
Don't spam. Please.
What he said, now lets start again.

Triv

Dribble Joy
23-08-07, 16:21
I spent an unhealthy amount of time DLing the demo (at an average of something like 40 kb/s) only to find it wouldn't run on my comp.....

Brammers
23-08-07, 16:28
Lol DJ, how old is your PC?

I wasn't quite sure what to make of the Demo, as I was slighly pissed from watching the footie.

But the graphics are simple gorgeous.

Apocalypsox
23-08-07, 16:44
I spent 3 hours last night playing the real game (Im in the US woo :D ) and ill spend alot more time with it today. Big daddys are a pain in the ass to kill :wtf:

Dribble Joy
23-08-07, 17:09
Lol DJ, how old is your PC?

I wasn't quite sure what to make of the Demo, as I was slighly pissed from watching the footie.

But the graphics are simple gorgeous.
The loading movies played, then it came back with an error.

I only have 768 RAM, a shitty AMD sempron and a GeForce 5700.

It's actually vaguely new, but I had fuck all money when my last comp sploded so it's 340 squids worth of arse cheeks.

CoreInsanity
23-08-07, 17:20
I spent an unhealthy amount of time DLing the demo (at an average of something like 40 kb/s) only to find it wouldn't run on my comp.....

I would highly recommend downloading the demo off Steam. I tried from web-based sources, and they all went 40-80kb/s, however, steam downloaded it at about 600 - 700kb/s.

Personally, I think it looks like a great game. I am most likely going to get it.

CoreInsanity
23-08-07, 17:29
Whats bioshock like then ?, i may get it, is it free roaming ? or like a story you gotta stick to ?

From what I get out of the videos and stuff like that, is it is some what free roaming, as in its not a linear path you have to follow, you can explore the different levels, etc. I know from a m8 that you can roam around and buy stuff, hack the vending machines that sell ammo and make them sell it cheaper and that kind of thing. I think its kind of like oblivion, but your forced a bit more to play the storyline rather than just going off and doing whatever, but not so much as games like halo, where stuff is scripted to happen at a specific spot and you just fly through the level.

Forgive me if this is a bit off :o I have not played the game much, I played the demo and got into rapture then had to go, then next time I started it up my entire comp locked up - so I havnt done much since.

james_finn
23-08-07, 17:48
Anyone else seen blue smoke yet? :D

http://kotaku.com/gaming/some-dude-says/bioshock-killed-my-computer-292046.php

LOL now thats a way to stop people buying a game....

CMaster
23-08-07, 17:49

If you want good free roaming FPS, try Boiling Point (with the 1.2 patch).

nobby
23-08-07, 18:23
I downloaded the demo through steam, must say the Graphics are gorgious as hell... but... and I mean BUT... the FPS element to it wasn't anything fun for me, boring if I must say :(

Clive tombstone
23-08-07, 19:05
(playing) bioshock, it is in a sense free roaming to some degree, mind you your inside of a city thats 200 fathoms below see level. Think of it like "Stalker" cept it's actually fun and not a pain to get around in. Its totally worth the buy.

Clive tombstone
23-08-07, 19:17
Bought it. Yeah I admit my pc is somewhat up to date (3.2 gig p4, 6800 gforce, 1gig o ddr ram) and it ran alright (with max settings would you believe it?) Also, be sure to note that you MUST, and I say MUST update your grafics drivers (Nvidia and ATI both were collaborating with Bioshock or something). The new drivers are sweet anyways dl 'em.

Now for the game. I cannot tell you how much fun it is to shoot bee's out of your arms, and doing a quick follow up with incineration^^ (*Clives character in Bioshock-Angry Flaming bee's attack, GO!!) Telekenisis is a great one too, you can really dick around with your enemies with that power^^.

this game is definatly worth upgrading for, if not for just the game, but all next gen stuff commin out (hell Unreal2008, World in conflict, Tabula rassa, just to name a few). I know I will (hell Im gonna need it for when I finally get a job in the industry within a year, need somethin that can run all those shaders when Im doing the advanced stages of modeling^^)

CoreInsanity
23-08-07, 19:28
Bought it. Yeah I admit my pc is somewhat up to date (3.2 gig p4, 6800 gforce, 1gig o ddr ram) and it ran alright (with max settings would you believe it?) Also, be sure to note that you MUST, and I say MUST update your grafics drivers (Nvidia and ATI both were collaborating with Bioshock or something). The new drivers are sweet anyways dl 'em.

Now for the game. I cannot tell you how much fun it is to shoot bee's out of your arms, and doing a quick follow up with incineration^^ (*Clives character in Bioshock-Angry Flaming bee's attack, GO!!) Telekenisis is a great one too, you can really dick around with your enemies with that power^^.

this game is definatly worth upgrading for, if not for just the game, but all next gen stuff commin out (hell Unreal2008, World in conflict, Tabula rassa, just to name a few). I know I will (hell Im gonna need it for when I finally get a job in the industry within a year, need somethin that can run all those shaders when Im doing the advanced stages of modeling^^)

Yea, I had to get the beta drivers to get the demo to run correctly, else it just freezes up on loading.

ashley watts
23-08-07, 20:02
Installing demo now, cant wait :>>>

Skusty
23-08-07, 20:41
Yeah, it's cool, and I can run it on the highest with my AMD 64 3200+, 2gigs of ram and 7800GTX. :D

Dribble Joy
23-08-07, 21:02
Got the drivers and it still won't run....

Lodar
23-08-07, 21:20
Sorry if this thread appears confusing and contradictory, but we don't need 3 threads about exactly the same topic.

Threads merged.

rob444
23-08-07, 21:54
The game requires so much my computer can't even render the cursor! :lol:

When I got into the game everything was entirely black and I saw some odd graphics, like small water splashes and what appeared to be water drops in my face looked like fire sprites. I uninstalled the demo rather quickly :/. I get a new computer tomorrow though so I'll be able to run it on max settings with ease *yummie* :D

Zeninja
23-08-07, 22:43
Sorry if this thread appears confusing and contradictory, but we don't need 3 threads about exactly the same topic.

Threads merged.
That's about time.

I still have nothing interesting to say though. Eyecatcher game opening the way for better games.

CMaster
23-08-07, 23:34
Based off the demo only:
Beautiful environments. Really, quite staggering the detail and such.
Overly realistic combat - all confusing, panicy and unclear whats going on. I'd rather feel a bit more in control
Dissapointing water - all the sprites around where its splashing look like sprites. That said, its better than most games.
Good moments of dread. Seeing the shadow of a robot hunting you down in the flickering firelight - now that's quite something.

jini
24-08-07, 05:59
Someone explain to me what's the difference of salvaging a little sister and harvesting her again? i dont see much difference other than more adam on the second option, but i have only managed to kill 2 big daddies so far... thhey are tough.

@Cmaster: GFX are gorgeous and work is stellar. There are some very very small mistakes like you see the shadows of your enemies when they are close to a light source, but you dont see yours is one i found. Water needs some more love indeed but its still very real, but its the atmosphere... Woa mind blowing atmosphere, with art deco art and not just in graphics, but also in sounds, music everywhere. Oh and some thrilling circus art too, seems Americans are afaid of circus :p

Clive tombstone
24-08-07, 06:34
Well, the reward comes a little later on jini for saving those little sisters, just be patient and merciful, that and I know it sounds tacky, but it feels good to hear the thankyou's of em. I mean, how great can you feel by savin the life of a little girl? pretty good I think, heroic you know?

"note" Yeah, theres little bugs in the game, but its still the best damn one Ive played all year you know?

CoreInsanity
24-08-07, 07:29
Aye, im not really into games like this (Suspence scary kind of games), but I actually like this one. The storyline owns, graphics own, game play owns (Imo).

Odin
24-08-07, 09:50
Someone explain to me what's the difference of salvaging a little sister and harvesting her again? i dont see much difference other than more adam on the second option, but i have only managed to kill 2 big daddies so far... thhey are tough.

@Cmaster: GFX are gorgeous and work is stellar. There are some very very small mistakes like you see the shadows of your enemies when they are close to a light source, but you dont see yours is one i found. Water needs some more love indeed but its still very real, but its the atmosphere... Woa mind blowing atmosphere, with art deco art and not just in graphics, but also in sounds, music everywhere. Oh and some thrilling circus art too, seems Americans are afaid of circus :p

Big Daddies get easier as you go on I find. What a really amazing story though. I won't tell you about the little sisters though as I don't know what happens when you harvest so I'll probably do that on my 2nd play through.

Nytewolf2k7
24-08-07, 09:51
I liked the demo of bioshock. But I'd rather play Neocron... Too bad I'm studying... :(

jini
24-08-07, 11:49
Big Daddies get easier as you go on I find. What a really amazing story though. I won't tell you about the little sisters though as I don't know what happens when you harvest so I'll probably do that on my 2nd play through.
Yes indeed. Big daddies are getting easier, or we are getting stronger bit by bit :p. I dunno If you found Dr. Steiner, but when I did, I almost burst laughing with what he was doing.

Ah and THE most amazing item i got so far rofl: The photo camera ahahaha
you take a pic of each monster in order to do research on them my god, what funny poses they take!! my god...

edit: here is another tip: take those rage plasmids and use them against a slicer (the dude that reads the bible loud:p and throws grenades) when he walks close to a big daddy. Then stand aside and watch the drama:
The slicer attacks big daddy, and a chase with them two begins that you will never forget. AMAZING

|R@zor|
24-08-07, 13:01
The demo was really good, but a little short considering the size of the download, i flew through it the first time in about 10 minutes, but you can stretch that a little if you explore everything.

I've noticed a few replies with people unable to get it to run, it requires a gfx card with shader model 3.0 support (Geforce 6600 / Radeon X1xxx minimum).

ashley watts
24-08-07, 13:14
The GFX are lovly :p, im getting it today so should be all guuurd :p, is the story line big, i mean so many weapons and such, it has to be quite big :p

jini
24-08-07, 16:38
Ashley, you will not know what to use. Arsenal is huge. And not just ordianry weapons, but other stuff as well :p Im currently enjoying he unrage plasmids hahah. How the heck did they made those big daddies large and cumbersome and fast as hell at the same time :p
If you have seen the Zathura movie, with those plasmids, big daddies hunt down mobs like how the robot was hunting the Zorgons :p

ashley watts
24-08-07, 17:21
Installing the game now , and fuck me it takes a while to install :p

silent000
24-08-07, 18:24
Just played it, it scared me, i shall cry myself to sleep now, and i fucking hate clowns so the vending machine makes me cry :(

rob444
24-08-07, 18:28
I want to try bioshock :(. I bet it isn't as scary as Condemned: Criminal Origins though (that game makes me wet my pants)!

ashley watts
24-08-07, 20:37
I want to try bioshock :(. I bet it isn't as scary as Condemned: Criminal Origins though (that game makes me wet my pants)!

Same fucking here !, theyd swing around the corners, pretend to swing there massive wall hammer, push you into a dark corner then scream at you untill you lunge for the off button ! :p

CMaster
24-08-07, 20:53

The demo makes me thnk - Atomospheric but not the "OHSHITOHSHITOHSHITOHSHITOHSHITOHSHIT" experience that System Shock 2 was.

rob444
24-08-07, 21:19
Same fucking here !, theyd swing around the corners, pretend to swing there massive wall hammer, push you into a dark corner then scream at you untill you lunge for the off button ! :p

Haha yeah, I can hear them cough and do other stuff - do I dare walking past that corner over there? No way man! Save + Quit. That's how I am right now ^^. I got pretty far in the game but I lost my saves so I will have to torture myself through most of the game again :(.

nobby
24-08-07, 21:24

God you're such a bloody baby :p

I'm still looking for a game to scare me...

silent000
24-08-07, 21:29
Regants legacy fucking scares me :( but i will have a look at that condemned :D

ashley watts
24-08-07, 21:50
Not only was it scary but it was hard as fook :( :(

Odin
24-08-07, 23:43
Finished.

Going to be incredibly hard to top this as game of the year. Probably the best story in years. Movie industry would be hard pressed to squeeze it into a 2 1/2 hour movie it's that packed.

Easily a 10/10. Only encountered one slow down during the entire game which while nasty at least was the only one and didn't cause death.

I went through saving the little sisters which makes me wonder if there are 2 wildly different endings. I'll have to go thru the 2nd time and harvest them to find out if it changes.

Only game with a chance to beat it this year is Mass Effect which I'm wondering if it will or not.

Clive tombstone
25-08-07, 00:11
Have it, but not playing it, WAY to bussy on my 3D projects to play it (believe me, its driving me nuts I wanna play it soo bad!), I started a lil bit, and Im gonna try the Savior part first, then harvest on the hard run.

silent000
25-08-07, 00:17
I went through saving the little sisters which makes me wonder if there are 2 wildly different endings. I'll have to go thru the 2nd time and harvest them to find out if it changes.

You damn wetwipe :D i saw that little kid and i wanted to abuse her, i enjoyed myself!

Asurmen Spec Op
25-08-07, 06:46
good game, but secureROM scares assman.

MrTrip
25-08-07, 09:29
BEHOLD!!!!!!!

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7140/283489cc6vc9.jpg

RAWRRRRRR

Necpock
25-08-07, 11:25
LOL hahahahhahahah

U HAVE NO SKINS LOWL

anyways, I recomend Bioshock to anyone and everyone :P

The crazy Grenade Splicers are so funny hahaha

ashley watts
25-08-07, 23:01
How mch gametime did people get out of it through to the end ?

Odin
26-08-07, 01:28
How mch gametime did people get out of it through to the end ?

I played in large amounts of usually 5-9 hours and got through it in 4 sessions. If you really explore around and take it cautious it's about 25 hours.

Nidhogg
26-08-07, 01:37
God I want this game. Anyone wanna buy me a 360?

N

silent000
26-08-07, 01:45
God I want this game. Anyone wanna buy me a 360?

N

Ent it a PC version too tho? :confused:

CoreInsanity
26-08-07, 01:53
Ent it a PC version too tho? :confused:

Aye, if i get it, im getting it off steam.

cl0wn
26-08-07, 04:55
This game is fresh on the 360 soo smooth pc version is nice but.. need a quite high spec for it.. so i prefer the 360 version as theres not much you need to have really. :D

jini
26-08-07, 06:49
LOL hahahahhahahah

U HAVE NO SKINS LOWL

anyways, I recomend Bioshock to anyone and everyone :P

The crazy Grenade Splicers are so funny hahaha
If you wanna speak about fun, wait until a big daddy hunts down one of them. As they are both so fast and fun and the big daddy makes for such wonderful and fun effects, you'll burst down laughing.
This game has already created a cult tbh.

There is another game however that I expect as well from steam: teamfortress 2.

And I didnt knew that the 360 version of it was so good as well

Apocalypsox
26-08-07, 07:39
Odin you liar! Ive played the game for 25 hours and im still not even close to done :lol:

nobby
26-08-07, 10:50
I'd happily play the game... If I wasn't working 15 hour shifts a day ... :(

rob444
26-08-07, 11:13
The PC version got a fucked up securom version which makes me not want to buy it, it's very similar to starforce. I've heard different problems with it, people can't run certain programs after it such as Process explorer (from sysinternals) etc.

No thanks to Bioshock on PC :/

jini
26-08-07, 11:44

Odin ..
I figured out what the harvest yes/no gives you:
It simply let the creature live, while you gather Adam again and again by killing big daddies. Try this: goto Arcadia, take the security plasmids that marks a target, target a Rossie and enjoy :p

ashley watts
26-08-07, 13:29
I have Bioshock for PC, runs amazingly.

The sickest thing to do in that game is to get the electric gel chem thrower and just hold it on a big daddy, he starts smoking, jolts of electric shoots of him and hes shaking and roaring. Same goes to the splicers, Score ! :D

Lexxuk
26-08-07, 14:10
Bioshock contains the most anal DRM ever. You are allowed to install the game on 2 PC's at a time but you must uninstall the game before you are allowed to install it on a 3rd PC. And if you've installed it on PC1 and PC2 and then PC1's hard drive crashes and you lose the install you cannot reinstall it because of SecureROM. The uninstaller also doesnt always register the fact you've uninstalled.

Its a timebomb waiting to go off, people are still playing SS2 but in a couple of years time Bioshock will be unplayable, especially if the authentication servers are gone so you cannot register the install to play. Huge threads about it in the Bioshock forum, lots of people taking the game back, lots of people cancelling their order and lots of people waiting till it becomes a budget title without the DRM.

Mighty Max
26-08-07, 14:19
Bioshock contains the most anal DRM ever. You are allowed to install the game on 2 PC's at a time

That was recently upped to 5 ... nethertheless it doesn't really solve the problem, yet moves the massive occurance some days into the future

:edit: linkeh (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.heise.de%2Fnewsticker%2Fmeldung%2F94913&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools)

rob444
26-08-07, 14:24
WTB cracked version of Bioshock. Kthx

MrTrip
26-08-07, 15:23
WTB cracked version of Bioshock. Kthx

Non existant :( \ GM spawn only.

Thats ok, I found a new game....

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/2531/1188119575516oy5.jpg

rob444
26-08-07, 15:35
Non existant :( \ GM spawn only.

Oh it'll come, it'll come... :P

MrTrip
26-08-07, 15:55
They said it took over 400 days to crack a splinter cell game :o thats some intense protection there.

ashley watts
26-08-07, 22:00
just completed Bioshock , intresting but a bit lame ending. Looks ill be trading it in Asap :p, i got the speical edition box set thing, i got a figure big daddy :>, and it smells pretty bad !

nobby
26-08-07, 23:15
What was the actualy point of Secrurom in the first place?

Lodar
26-08-07, 23:40
What was the actualy point of Secrurom in the first place?

Its to prevent unauthorised duplication of PC software. Incidentally can we have less talk of cracking and removing copy protection mechanisms, as thats piracy kiddies, something we don't talk about on these forums. :angel:

nobby
26-08-07, 23:46
ok, I don't get why they only allow two installations ... and how would it even know ?!?

Do you need the net to install the game ?

Odin
26-08-07, 23:51
just completed Bioshock , intresting but a bit lame ending. Looks ill be trading it in Asap :p, i got the speical edition box set thing, i got a figure big daddy :>, and it smells pretty bad !

There's 2 endings. 1 if you didn't harvest any of the little sisters and 1 if you harvested even 1 of them.

ashley watts
27-08-07, 00:04
There's 2 endings. 1 if you didn't harvest any of the little sisters and 1 if you harvested even 1 of them.

Ahhh, mine was evil, i like killing children ! :o, whats the ending like if you save the majority of the girls ?

Zeninja
27-08-07, 06:47
Ahhh, mine was evil, i like killing children ! :o, whats the ending like if you save the majority of the girls ?
Just do a search for "bioshock ending" on Youtube ; Good and Evil final scenes both are available.

Noob :p

jini
27-08-07, 09:05
but i believe its worth it if you find out by yourself, still im not that patient:p
I will try to cap Adam by saving gils again and again in Arcadia tho, with the aid of securicams and securiplasmids :p

Zeninja
27-08-07, 09:21
but i believe its worth it if you find out by yourself, still im not that patient:p
I don't see the point at seeing any game's ending before you even completed it, either. Just like asking people who's playing Kaiser Sauze before you even rent Usual Suspect's DVD.

Especially when you know that nowadays FPS have nothing original but enhanced rendering and eventually their storyline :rolleyes:

ashley watts
27-08-07, 16:33
Just do a search for "bioshock ending" on Youtube ; Good and Evil final scenes both are available.

Noob :p

I would but youtube is slow as fuck for some reason, it would take a good 10 minutes to load a 1 minute vid :p

Zeninja
27-08-07, 17:03
I would but youtube is slow as fuck for some reason, it would take a good 10 minutes to load a 1 minute vid :p
Yeah noticed that too, I'm quite happy the problem is not coming from me then ; they went on some maintenance stuff recently and since then their website seems to be in big trouble :eek:

Try daily motion instead ;)

/OT

unreal
28-08-07, 23:55
I bought the tin edition for £30, and Morrisons can kiss my balls for selling it at £22.99 yesterday. :p Like jini when I first played the demo I thought I was still watching the video because the transition to floating in the water was so smooth. Bioshock is running sexy as hell at 1900x1200 resolution with everything maxed out on my dual 8800 Ultra machine. :cool:

The only thing I can really complain about right now is the botched widescreen support. Anyone who started playing this on a widescreen monitor should know what I mean. The developers were right when they said no squashing or stretching of the field of view was involved. They just cropped it instead! The red bars show the chunks that get removed in widescreen aspect ratios (thanks to some random person on some random forum for creating the image :rolleyes:). Apparantly this was intended behaviour but now everyone has noticed and complained about it, they're working on a patch that allows us to change it.

http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2007/08/bioshockwsshit.jpg

Despite this slight amount of torture, Bioshock had me drooling. It was quite freaky when I injected my first ever plasmid with surround speakers blasting out. You really got the feeling of "WTF is happening... Aahhh!" each time your DNA is being rewritten, lol. With that said, some of the plasmids really make the game far too easy, but it's still fun. The ease these 'upgrades' give you reminds me of playing Deus Ex: Invisible War. The dude in the behind the scenes video with the hairy chin was spot on. In games like Resident Evil and Silent Hill you think "Why can't the character just go over there and escape? Oh no... an invisible barrier" but in Bioshock you don't really have any of that because you're surrounded by water. Makes everything feel that bit more believable. I personally would run away from a zombie or flying monster if I only had a tiny pocket knife. ;)

I wonder if there'll be a Bioshock 2 or some similair game where you're entirely enclosed on some space-city in the distant future. That would make a somewhat sexy game too I'm sure. :p

CMaster
29-08-07, 00:00
I wonder if there'll be a Bioshock 2 or some similair game where you're entirely enclosed on some space-city in the distant future. That would make a somewhat sexy game too I'm sure. :p

Its called System Shock/System Shock 2. They've already done that one (although rumours are that EA are looking at ressurecting the SS lisence).

unreal
29-08-07, 00:38
Woah. Never played either of those. Would be interesting if they did a sort of Tomb Raider Anniversary for System Shock, by redoing everything with the latest technology. Would bring back memories for people who played the originals, and would be just as entertaining for the people like me who's never played them. :D I don't think I'd be able to play System Shock 1 now that the engines have progressed so far. Might give it a go at some point though. I tried Deus Ex 1 when you mentioned in on the forum the other year, but I couldn't continue playing it as it was so outdated. Deus Ex 2 was bearable though, and was quite fun. So System Shock 2 might be bearable for me in the same way.

ashley watts
29-08-07, 00:44
I hope theres a bioshock 2 ^^, this damn game was to quick and easy to complete :p

sanityislost
29-08-07, 14:30
Just played thru the demo to see if it would be playabler on my comp, didnt
think it would be but it ran really smooth....off to go buy myself a copy XD

MrTrip
29-08-07, 18:43
Ive played through twice now :D saving and eating the little girls.

\o/ Excellent game, second time through was MUCH easier as I learned how to use plasmids properly.

Oh, now for spoiler time.

ANDREW RYAN IS GMAN AND ATLAS KILLS FREEMAN!

*thumbs up*

sanityislost
30-08-07, 03:02
Loving the game so far, but the frost plasmid is abit imba lol

freeze, shoot once and dead

Clive tombstone
30-08-07, 03:19
Man, I just beat the game after saving all the sisters.

Wow

That was a great ending, not kiddin. Honestly the good ending was really heartwarming, definatly worth it. I think I cried a lil =).

Tratos
31-08-07, 14:33
Just finished it the first time through, i harvested one little sister but i think it still gave me the good ending from what people have said, does give me an excuse to play it through a second or even third time.

I thought the ending was pretty powerful stuff, almost brought a tear to my eye :P

I fucking love this game.

onero S
31-08-07, 15:20
Wow as others have said, awsome game. I harvested all the sisters which ended up really paying off in terms of plasmids and gene tonics.

I fucking love the frost plasmid as well as rpgs, electric gel, exploding buck, and headshots with the crosbow.

Also, for anyone playing, make sure you take lots of pictures, you get some really awsome goodies.

Clive tombstone
31-08-07, 22:22
Man, I loved Camoflauge, Wrench Lurker (1 & 2), and the tonics that make your wrench swing even stronger. Combine that with a good shock and youll Sparta the Shit outa everyone =P.

Odin
31-08-07, 23:01
Man, I loved Camoflauge, Wrench Lurker (1 & 2), and the tonics that make your wrench swing even stronger. Combine that with a good shock and youll Sparta the Shit outa everyone =P.

Camo is definitely imbalanced. I almost thought I was cheating using it. Was a great way to avoid security when you tripped an alarm ;p

What's real scary is I think a movie could be made out of this and they'd have to cut a lot out just to squeeze it into a 2 hour movie. Not often you get to say that.

Clive tombstone
31-08-07, 23:11
Yeah, Camo saved my but more times than I can remember. "Oh crap, bots! Wait Ill just run around this corner and stop" 30 secs later [cuz I have that alarm shortening tonic =P], "Phew, now, where was that big daddy?"

Apocalypsox
31-08-07, 23:42
Yeah, Camo saved my but more times than I can remember. "Oh crap, bots! Wait Ill just run around this corner and stop" 30 secs later [cuz I have that alarm shortening tonic =P], "Phew, now, where was that big daddy?"

Hell with that, i just hit the big daddies with the alarm beacon one. Hes usually too distracted by the bots to notice me filling his ass with Armor pericing MG rounds (Thats right, i chose to use the MG through the game. It owns with a few upgrades :D )

Serious_Sam
01-09-07, 00:08
Speaking of System Shock 2, i've been trying to install it on my Xp media centre edition (not my choice!). Even with all the hints, helps and mod files to get it to run i still have issues with it not crashing.

As for Bioshock, its a wonderful game, yet i keep getting this blue screen of death with the troublesome file in question being: nv4_display.dll

Wretched laptop, its got an Nvidia GeForce Go 7300, i guess its just not compliant.

$ir Mafia
01-09-07, 01:46
yoi did that safe_texture_manager thing in the shock.cfg?

Serious_Sam
01-09-07, 02:57
yoi did that safe_texture_manager thing in the shock.cfg?

Can't say i have. Care to elaborate?

$ir Mafia
01-09-07, 15:16
Look for the "metasnd_game_options_ambient1 mloop2" line in your
Shock.cfg. Just put a "safe_texture_manager" line below
that and you should be able to play without crashes.

Tried a lot of so called "XP Fixes" but none was working while
this tiny line in the cfg did the job.

oh btt: Any hints for killing big daddys without getting killed a lot? :P

Clive tombstone
01-09-07, 19:20
(edit, Clives big daddy guide)

Big daddy's while big and DAMN armored, they do have weaknesses, they're biggest weakness happens to be the fact that they "Usually" don't attack you on sight. This gives you time to prepare. Before you get the crossbow (and thus, trap bolts) you have some ways of countering them and dealing damage quickly to them.

Remember, Big daddy's are susceptible to all plasmids, ALL of them, just maybe not to the same extents as the aggressors. Shocking will USUALLY stop them in there tracks. Incinerate does work on them as well, and will act as an Tokay DoT and sometime stun. The bee's attack is surprisingly good against the Big daddy's, because while it doesn't do a lot of damage to them, it does keep them flailing about while not shooting or mauling you^^. Remember time is your friend when your facing a big daddy. Freeze is also good, I generally don't want to shatter big daddies because of there loot though, so it acts as a good stun. Also, remember your environment, Enrage is a GREAT way to start of the fight, Just make sure you have some dupes- err Splicers around to start the fight first, Houdini splicers are pretty good opponents for em, so are nitro's.

Weapons vs Big daddy- Okay, Anti armor rounds (for machine gun and pistol) should be a no brainer, but one thing people tend to overlook is the electric Buck rounds for the shotty. those WILL stun big daddy on a good shot, AND deal great damage. Course electric buck is generally considered "rare" ammo (unless you invent like crazy, like me) so finding some for every big daddy can or cannot be a pain.
The Nade launcher is probably my favorite Anti big daddy weapon (right after the crossbow) Proxy mines set before the fight make a WORLD of difference (creating a "path O' mines" and lead the daddy through em, and he'll be dead before you know it). The standard nades and heat seekers are nothing to snort at ether, use em! And finally my favorite, the xbow.

Since Im generally a sneaky bastard when I play Bioshock, I tend to use the plasmids emphasizing stealth (but once you get to later levels, you become more of a versatile murder machine, with a lil specialization =P), the xbow is great for this. Considered by some its a sniper rifle and a trap gun all in one, and I agree. Set up a hallway of trap bolts and run the big daddy through em, hell double it up with some proxy mines for an even more hellish trap. and if he's still standing? Pop a few normal bolts into his (nonexistent) face, and he'll be down for the count.
Well, theres also the chem launcher, but I hardly ever use it, I don't like DoT guns, and the frost and elec mods are kinda like gun versions of the plasmids they represent. Still Electric gel is pretty good again big daddies too just to note, still don't use it much though, I like me traps^^.

Final notes-
Remember two things, along with whats above. If your going after the little sister, make sure she's not at the "end of her rout". By this I mean, you start hammering on the daddy, and she goes into a vent. Which means No Adam for you when you finally beat that beast. If she DOES happen to disapear on you while your fighting a daddy... Retreat. Daddy's health doesn't normally regen (unless attacked by splicers after wards). Just follow him after he looses the agro until he calls the lil sis, and continues the fight there.

And secondly (also, FINALLY) the last thing to remember about fighting big daddies is... Preparation! Don't be afraid to leave em behind for a bit while you stock up on supplies and get a feeling for your area.

Sorry for being so wordy, but I wanted to cover all the bases.

Edit-Ill add a post about Rosies and Bouncers later, but Honestly I dont think its necasary, you all play a "FPS" use your noggin^^.

PEace out.

Tratos
01-09-07, 19:56
Launching my way through the game a second time to harvest the sisters to get the other ending as well as patch up the holes in my achievements while i go (need to play a third time to get the achievement for rescuing all of them, damn being an achievement whore.).

Playing it on hard this time through (....as there's an achievement... cough).

It's amazing how quickly im getting through it again since i know what to expect.

<3 Bioshock

Clive tombstone
01-09-07, 20:15
I played through on the PC, Ive never had a 360, What the hell are achievment and the points for? I hear tons of peoples talkin bout em.

Tratos
01-09-07, 20:21
I played through on the PC, Ive never had a 360, What the hell are achievment and the points for? I hear tons of peoples talkin bout em.
They serve no purpose :D

When you get to certain milestones or do something a number of times you unlock an achievement and it adds it onto your score, i guess it's sort of like an e-penis gauge for 360 and Windows Live users (i think Halo2 is the only PC game with achievements so far though). For me though it makes me get the most out of my games by trying to complete the game and then get the max (1000 points) gamerscore from each game.

For example, you get an achievement for rescuing all the little sisters, beating the bosses and other such stuff.

eggplane
03-09-07, 01:59
is bioshock working with WIN2000 ?

ashley watts
03-09-07, 03:15
I just thought imagine a Bioshock sandbox, like spawnable NPC's and shiz, just like a Gmod, would be nice ^^

Clive tombstone
03-09-07, 09:33
The ONLY thing that kinda bummed me out in bioshock was the fact that there as no giant squid batter XD. You See one in the begining, but then no more squiddy XD. Sorry, woulda been cool I think. Just felt like sayin that =P.

jini
03-09-07, 11:03
Im playing leisurely harvesting all the way and enjoying. I can see what Odin said about it being so packed and also, I dont understand how both Odin and Ash finished it so fast. After what? 10 days? and Im still in the middle of it. Scenario is very packed indeed and too many dialogues. Too many dialogues to consider. Also, with so many weapons there are many different playing styles as well.

Im also using the stealth tool, as I want to catch mobs in their private moments which are hilarious.. Im having a blast, but the downside is, that the stealth plasmid takes away from nonstop action.

Which are your preferred weapons?

I like: xbow-shotty-wrench and incineration-electro3-enrage-bees, well all plasmids are fun tbh :p

ashley watts
03-09-07, 12:31
Im playing leisurely harvesting all the way and enjoying. I can see what Odin said about it being so packed and also, I dont understand how both Odin and Ash finished it so fast. After what? 10 days? and Im still in the middle of it. Scenario is very packed indeed and too many dialogues. Too many dialogues to consider. Also, with so many weapons there are many different playing styles as well.

Im also using the stealth tool, as I want to catch mobs in their private moments which are hilarious.. Im having a blast, but the downside is, that the stealth plasmid takes away from nonstop action.

Which are your preferred weapons?

I like: xbow-shotty-wrench and incineration-electro3-enrage-bees, well all plasmids are fun tbh :p

I finished it in like what 10 hours, so two playing sessions, i was SO dissapointed how it ended that quick =[[ now ive got a useless bioshock icon on my desktop :(:(

onero S
04-09-07, 03:36
I finished it in like what 10 hours, so two playing sessions, i was SO dissapointed how it ended that quick =[[ now ive got a useless bioshock icon on my desktop :(:(

Its dissapointing that you chose to beat is so fast and that you veiw the game as useless once you finished. It sounds like bioshock isn't the game for you.

MrTrip
04-09-07, 03:47
Ive beat it like 3 times...

It needs multiplayer, now its just kind of worthless.

Apocalypsox
04-09-07, 04:47
I like my wrench :D i have about 3 plasmids that boost its damage, and a few that decrease the damage i take, so im one mad melee mofo

Combined with my MG when i need the range and Electrobolt, i am made of Pwn.

onero S
04-09-07, 07:09
Its dissapointing that you chose to beat is so fast and that you veiw the game as useless once you finished. It sounds like bioshock isn't the game for you.

tbh pvp in bioshock would suck. Electricity/ice would be the most anoying things ever. People talk about para shock, those would be much worse.

The actual combat mechanics of the game, while good, are nothing special. The plasmids are what makes it so unique and they are in no way balanced for pvp. Plus the game's strongest facet, its story, atmosphere, and audio, would be lost on multiplayer.

If you want cool pvp, go get call of duty 4 or halo 3, bioshock is somthing different and its not for everyone. If you can't apriciate bioshock's charm thats fine, but don't try and make it into somthing its not. Imo its way closer to a good book than a big pvp fps.

jini
04-09-07, 09:38
It actually is a kind of interactive movie.

And yes, the wrench is cool :p

dark_reaper
05-09-07, 02:18
I love the wrench, just give the splicers an electroshock theropy and just wack them with the wrench, and insta death and no ammo needed. It works on all kinds of spicers too.

Zeninja
06-09-07, 15:49
I've finally spent a few time browsing spoiler videos on the net (one thing I hate doing, but the temptation was too strong :p), and I have to say, this game's scenario and atmosphere sound like a brilliant piece of art. I'm so impatient to get a PC recent enough to handle with the high reqs.

I just feel like I'm going to be brought back in the Doom days.... btw, have a look at this "funny" video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCovQl9WRdQ) (no spoiler inside don't worry) ; should make you think twice before you allow your 10 years old son/lilbro playing Bioshock (or worse : Neocron) 8|

Powerpunsh
06-09-07, 17:16
bioshock is really nice.
u got different mods in ur gunz and the psi stuff is nice too. I like it to fight against the teleporting psi guys with my psi spells. its really funny if u fight fire vs. fire. :)

Another cool part is the chemogun. u got nitrate, napalm and ionic ammo. funny to burn the enemies down. And the big daddys with their childs are cool, if u fight them in closed combat with a shotgun. :p
btw: the graphic is uber. never saw kind of this water effects in any game.

edit: does anyone have problems like me? The game crashes every 10-30 minutes and i dont know why. And i heard that the game frezzes the xbox 360 very often. Damn i need a DX10 card. The game runz great with full details but i just got dx9 :(

|R@zor|
06-09-07, 17:34
I've had it freeze on me a few times on the xbox 360, usually when hacking safes or picking up gene tonics off the floor, but most of the time it recovers after a few seconds and i dont need to reset the console.

Fantastic game though, i'm currently playing through it a second time rescueing all the little sisters, and i also plan to get all the achievements.

Odin
06-09-07, 20:48
Im playing leisurely harvesting all the way and enjoying. I can see what Odin said about it being so packed and also, I dont understand how both Odin and Ash finished it so fast.

I had it first morning and literally played it over the next 5 days a lot. Many 5-9 hour sessions.

As for beating it in 10 hours that's what I was referring to as playing it like 'Halo'. You'd have to majorly rush through it. Casually it took about 25-26 hours although playing thru the second time and harvesting I'm finding some places I didn't before.

jini
07-09-07, 06:29
Yea, I only managed to finish it on wednesday as well. There are a lot of places we miss, items we forget to look here and there, it seems it exists a plasmid that sends big Daddies to sleep, and this plasmid also comes in level one and two and maybe 3? I noticed this, after i used the lot 192 chemical and my plasmids became unstable. Did anybody, did you found these plasmids Odin?

I will now start by saving the little ones, see how good I am :p

Skusty
07-09-07, 12:05
Going to play through Bioshock this weekend, I played through it for the first time last weekend. :D

Powerpunsh
09-09-07, 17:30
hm did everyone of u had this very very short end, after killing fontaine??
There was just a submarien and the kids and splicer jumped out of their globes and killed the guys. After it, i was back in my menu. wtf?

jini
09-09-07, 18:02
it ended hecktor.
now play the game again by saving the girls :p

Powerpunsh
09-09-07, 20:46
damn, but wtf. where do i get these spells, which is fontaine using???
This freeze wall and Lightning Ball.
Looks fukin crazy, i just move sidewards and shoot, but it seems that my spells dont do any dmg, but the granadelauncher does alot. :rolleyes:
Fontaine is really very easy to kill...

MrTrip
09-09-07, 20:49
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/1394-Zero-Punctuation-BioShock

Skusty
10-09-07, 18:49
Haha, yeah, that review owns.

Hell-demon
11-09-07, 19:04
This is funny too (http://www.g4tv.com/pile_player.aspx?video_key=17589)