PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Americans are not stupid...

solid-rock
21-08-07, 11:51
Or are they (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJuNgBkloFE)?

CMaster
21-08-07, 11:58
It's like its the year 2000 all over again!
With amusing but doubtless heavily edited footage.

solid-rock
21-08-07, 12:04
No amount of editing can hide the fact that people this dumb are much easyer to find in the US than other comfy parts of the world. And at the most they edited out the bright people.

MrWeedster
21-08-07, 12:24
great :>

That reminds me of this:

http://www.tallrite.com/weblog/blogimages/refs2006/AmericanWorld.gif

The american view of the world :>

[E] found a better one:

http://www.bloodyhell.nl/images/map_of_american_isolationist_thinking.gif

sooo kewl :>

greetz

CMaster
21-08-07, 12:24
Well thats the point of course, you don't whoe people who answer it right, although how bad some of the answers are is appaling.

This is SOOO OOOLLLD though.

solid-rock
21-08-07, 12:59
I know, still funny though. And ive yet to see something like it done elsewhere in the world.

Edit: This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ghdwINqirU&mode=related&search=) is good aswell.

Zeninja
21-08-07, 13:14
Am not willing to be the devil's advocate, but this kind of movie could have been filmed anywhere around the globe, not only in the United States.

Besides, the fact most of the Bushmen and Maasais have no idea what a Bigmac or a Dvd is, doesn't mean they are stupid either... however they may laugh at you when they find out you're so ignorant that you couldn't even start a fire without a lighter :rolleyes:

solid-rock
21-08-07, 13:37
Yes but by that logic the whole term of stupidity is invalidated. It is all relative and we are dealing with a nation that is of a vastly similar culture to the say the UK. But where people are vastly more ignorant. Which is the whole point of this video. These are not bushmen we are are talking about. Bushmen are not ignorant in the same way, they merely prioritise their learning difrently acording to their enviroment. To my knowledge americans do not have sutch difrent priorities.

Edit: An incredibly weak attempt at doing the same thing in Australia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdWST9-X-sE&mode=related&search=) .

Zeninja
21-08-07, 14:06
Yes but by that logic the whole term of stupidity is invalidated. It is all relative and we are dealing with a nation that is of a vastly similar culture to the say the UK. But where people are vastly more ignorant. Which is the whole point of this video. These are not bushmen we are are talking about. Bushmen are not ignorant in the same way, they merely prioritise their learning difrently acording to their enviroment. To my knowledge americans do not have sutch difrent priorities.
A first factor to be taken into account is that brainwashing mass medias and lobbies are waaaay more influent in the USA than in England, Denmark or France. The second factor is, that USA has got a bigger population, a huge gap (in terms of access to education, culture, and surviving means) between wealthy/poor people, and such debatable (which debat won't take place here until we want this thread closed) health care and educational systems.

Also, there you may find a lot of people totally disconnected from the rest of the world (whereas they have waaaay more ressources and spare time to stay informed compared to... say, bushmen and iraquians), it absolutely doesn't mean that they're representative of the rest of the american population or even dragging decently educated people down to their level.

The proliferation of such movies (that are damn funny tbh) is causing a doubtful generalization that clearly results from an ambiguous amalgamate between United State's foreign policy and supposed United State's "lambda citizens" culture imho.

Culture/knowledge has nothing to do with intelligence, that was the point of my excessive comparison to isolated african tribes, while the "stupid" word has, afaik. This said, you can trust me, the stupid guys who decided to send sammies into Vietnam perfectly knew where Hanoi was located on a map.

zii
21-08-07, 15:29
I have never met one of those stupid Americans, and I have lived and worked there and visited many times. I have usually found them to be quite well informed and educated. They are not their stereotypes as depicted in these videos, other wise a stereotype would be called a 'true and accurate representation'! :)

however, the video in the link is hilarious.

Kanedax
21-08-07, 15:33
Bah, America rawks tbh.

solid-rock
21-08-07, 15:35
At first id like to point out that the people apearing in these videos are not backwater hillbillies or anything of the sort but average citizens in a metropolis. The middle class citizen who really should know better. It is not my opinion that Americans are generally unitelligent but rather quite uninlightened.

Sure the people who run the show are somewhat better informed but due to large mases of the American society being so naive they have it mutch too easy. Sure those guys knew where Hanoi, but the people whose interests they where protecting by invading Vietnam didnt have a clue.

In my opinion it is one of the reasons the US army has been alowed by the citizens to go around playing world police for so many years and in turn the reason that the US have gotten sutch a horible image in the rest of the world.

On a lighter note: The triangle bit was especially lolable.

Lodar
21-08-07, 15:50
Lets not do the whole political/xenophobic/"my country is better than your country" routine again.

Thread closed.