PDA

View Full Version : To all Wanna-Be-MMO-Devs

Torg
10-08-07, 15:36
Dear Wippersnappers,
pointless pretending to be a superior MMO dev has come to an end. this is your chance to show KK what MMOs are about. Here's a free MMO platform, no license fees, just download the whole thing and make a better Neocron: Multiverse (http://www.multiverse.net)

SorkZmok
10-08-07, 15:38
Haha, i know a fuckload of idiots who'd already be posting they could easily do that but they can't be arsed because NC sucks. Too bad they're all banned. :lol:

Judge
10-08-07, 15:55
I've been watching Multiverse for a while now. Unfortunately if you want 'another Neocron' you'll have your work cut-out. Multiverse isn't designed for FPS based games, so all that coding would have to be done yourself and even then you'll basically be hacking a FPS game together from an engine that wasn't designed for it... I doubt that it'd be any more stable or lag-free than NC is.

I'm planning on getting some of my other Computer Science mates interested and seeing if we can setup a small dev team. I'm tempted to make a Steampunk game...

Flame Bait
11-08-07, 04:31
There is already an ex Neocron vet working on a new FPS style MMO. Its being programmed in India and owned by a Canadian guy who has made millions in adult entertainment. The development began in 2006 so im sure it will be a while before KK needs to worry about any competition.

I also have been considering taking on such a challenge but other interests have greater priority. Most people seem to think building an MMO requires millions of dollars but most have no idea what Venture Capitalist's are. Developing a good business strategy and spending a few months doing research is about all you need to start out small. Most big investors have the resources to discover any potential weakness in your strategy and refine your ideas to make them profitable.

Anyone who thinks building a game to the same standard would take all that much time in money in todays market is a tool. :lol:

Asurmen Spec Op
11-08-07, 09:54
There is already an ex Neocron vet working on a new FPS style MMO. Its being programmed in India and owned by a Canadian guy who has made millions in adult entertainment. The development began in 2006 so im sure it will be a while before KK needs to worry about any competition.

I also have been considering taking on such a challenge but other interests have greater priority. Most people seem to think building an MMO requires millions of dollars but most have no idea what Venture Capitalist's are. Developing a good business strategy and spending a few months doing research is about all you need to start out small. Most big investors have the resources to discover any potential weakness in your strategy and refine your ideas to make them profitable.

Anyone who thinks building a game to the same standard would take all that much time in money in todays market is a tool. :lol:
India programming?

hmm, and we think NC is buggy

I've been watching Multiverse for a while now. Unfortunately if you want 'another Neocron' you'll have your work cut-out. Multiverse isn't designed for FPS based games, so all that coding would have to be done yourself and even then you'll basically be hacking a FPS game together from an engine that wasn't designed for it... I doubt that it'd be any more stable or lag-free than NC is.

I'm planning on getting some of my other Computer Science mates interested and seeing if we can setup a small dev team. I'm tempted to make a Steampunk game...
I would totally help :o I don't have much CS things going on right now and Its driving me crazy

jini
11-08-07, 10:20
Software programming is actually intellectual property.
All you need is just a ps.
Therefore it's easy and quite lucrative for India to create programmers. So, for outsourcing, India is for software, as China is for labour. You see, we, at western world are too lazy to do either one or the other :p

Asurmen Spec Op
11-08-07, 11:35
Software programming is actually intellectual property.
All you need is just a ps.
Therefore it's easy and quite lucrative for India to create programmers. So, for outsourcing, India is for software, as China is for labour. You see, we, at western world are too lazy to do either one or the other :p
I disagree, I've got a few friends who make their living fixing the bugs from the apps outsourced to india.

You get what you pay for after all, cheap out on programmers, expect the bugs

Zheo
11-08-07, 12:28
The development began in 2006 so im sure it will be a while before KK needs to worry about any competition.

Ruthless Earth
Conflict Omega
Fallen Earth

Three cyberpunk themed mmo's in the works as far as I know so it might not be that long before NC has BIG competition

nabbl
11-08-07, 13:23
lol @ ruthless earth page... HTML sites 4tw!

much bigger lol @ conflict omega ... http://www.conflictomega.com/

-> fallen earth is the only mmo which would be an option.

Zheo
11-08-07, 17:23
Ruthless earth is just getting started, and conflict omega well I dont follow it but last time I looked it was impressive. May have been dropped now though alot of mmo's die without making it to retail or even beta, usually when the funding dies...

Flame Bait
12-08-07, 07:26
I disagree, I've got a few friends who make their living fixing the bugs from the apps outsourced to india.

When you setup an office and control the quality of the work flow the end result is as good if not better then doing it in the US. Either way most of these guys are better then lazy Koreans who leave games filled with bugs so they can sell known exploits later on. I have yet to play a game made in Korea that was not filled with bugs aside from Guild Wars which has much higher standards then others.

I myself have outsourced programming all over the place and never had a problem. One thing is for sure Russians are THE BEST programmers and no one can argue with that. If i were to develop a game my crew would be all Ruskey and my office in Prague of course.

nabbl
12-08-07, 11:53
prague <> russia

Asurmen Spec Op
12-08-07, 13:47
When you setup an office and control the quality of the work flow the end result is as good if not better then doing it in the US. Either way most of these guys are better then lazy Koreans who leave games filled with bugs so they can sell known exploits later on. I have yet to play a game made in Korea that was not filled with bugs aside from Guild Wars which has much higher standards then others.

I myself have outsourced programming all over the place and never had a problem. One thing is for sure Russians are THE BEST programmers and no one can argue with that. If i were to develop a game my crew would be all Ruskey and my office in Prague of course.
Korea? Sir I dont disagree on that(its mostly true) I thought we were talking about india.

When I say outsource, it can be assumed I mean to india :P

All I want is a cyberpunk MMO without a community of retarded cuntbags =/

Judge
13-08-07, 01:17
All I want is a cyberpunk MMO without a community of retarded cuntbags =/

Unfortunately I think that in order to keep things really cyberpunk then high levels of PvP is going to be required (as open as possible really)... which will always attract retarded cuntbags.

numb
13-08-07, 19:12

I think that statement is only true if you cheap out on testers.

All development contains bugs, that's why testing and bug fixing (before release) is such a crucial part of any project.

Terror_Nonne
13-08-07, 20:07
ok, lets do this thing. - lets create better worlds... hahaha :D

boreal
13-08-07, 21:27
[ edited ]

nobby
13-08-07, 21:35
If I think what I think it is... That's Illegal Boreal !

silent000
13-08-07, 21:41
If I think what I think it is... That's Illegal Boreal !

Ummm i think this is what i know about too :cool: and yes its not legal :P

Nidhogg
13-08-07, 23:14
i will tell you when it done
By all means, but bear in mind that it will be your last post on these forums. The project of which you speak is nowhere and staying there but we still disapprove of its existance and will not permit further discussion of it on these forums.

N

Serious_Sam
13-08-07, 23:20
Boreal, why doesn't your friend offer to help code for KK? Surely that would be a better use of his skills.

Nidhogg
13-08-07, 23:35
Exactly what part of "no further discussion" did you not understand?

Tell me by PM. Thread closed.

N