PDA

View Full Version : More runners

AdrianDelMar
08-08-07, 14:44
Change the trial of the game. One free month of play, change the credit card need. Let people download the client and play for one month without any kind of credit card or paypal register. If they want to keep on playing after a month, you should ask them for numbers and information.

Establish net links with relevant locations. People dont know about Neocron. I purchased a game magazine recently and they had a table for online role games. They talked about all areas of role games, from those as auto assault which closed the next month to warcraft. Neocron was not in that list and the magazine was published in Spain, close to Germany. You need to establish key propaganda and create contacts within private groups. Every deus ex forum or page should have a link to you.

Before this, you must change the trial. Your not going to solve the low number of players which makes the game not work at most levels with time and certain updates to the game itself.

Somebody is going to have to sacrifice something, know what I mean? I already sacrifice the real cash. Make a plan to get more players not to fix a game with more than one version or to create content for those found within. The game seems to work more or less, it just needs a touch here and there. Apart from that, we really need more players for the game to work at all.

Neocron 2.2, which was released as a new game was not even reviewed in Spain. Thats Europa people, the same nation. You could try to get the little text you have in the game in other tongues. That would help as well. Its very easy too.

Vampire222
08-08-07, 14:51
Exactly!!! :lol: o_O

DR REED
08-08-07, 15:51
Exactly!!! :lol: o_O

Exactly NOT.

Basic ideas from the thread maybe good ones, but this game in this state of completion is not able to HOLD enough players long enough which could be lured into by the things described.

First bugs/ balancing aspects and story line issues have to be solved, then it makes sense to invite a lot of players to come in....

Remember March 12th - how many of the hundreds of players are still here ????

sojuro
08-08-07, 18:56
Well, the OP is correct but KK needs to fix the net code as well. Who cares how many ppl are paying if they have to relog 5-infiniti times to get a good synch.

Torg
08-08-07, 22:05
it's an exceptionally great game. and it has a client-server-communication-weakness. have fun.

SorkZmok
08-08-07, 22:17
Those who would actually play NC have all tried it. And left again. Thanks to shitty newbie experience, bugs and synching/netcode issues. And lately, not to forget all those cuntish exploiters and generall asshats. :mad:

Fix NC. That, at least in my opinion, is the only chance to get more people. Meaning those people who already left. Those actually might come back then.

solid-rock
08-08-07, 23:15
I agree a longer trial wont do anything to help the population. What scares people off is the games instability's not the lack of free playtime.

Apart from that we must also realise that neocrons graphics and engine have become quite drastically outdated witch make many (especially younger people) turn down the game at first glance. You wouldnt believe how many times ive come into an argument with friends who insist on judging neocron solely by a single screenshot.

sojuro
09-08-07, 03:19
hehe, if I went by a single screenshot I'd be right along with them and never beta tested this game. The only question to KK I have is 'How much money would you like to make off this game? The amount you currently are, or 10 to 20x that amount?' If you want option B, the smart option, you'd fix the net code.

I mean, you guys are pullin in something around 100k per yr. The other game I play and have been for the past 4 yrs, Eve-Online, they pull in roughly 1m per yr. They have 500+ ppl in a single 'zone', NC doesn't have that many subscribers. They have 1 server, you have 3. They have no lag compared to you. You're using 3x the server hardware and yet have 50x the server issues.

If you just fix the net code they'll come even with outdated graphics because the game has potential.

Here's how far you could go. CCP, the creators of Eve; have a yearly fan fest, a subscription based magazine, internet TV, 3 web radio stations, a collector card game, a new engine in the works, they avg 30k players at peak time, and more ppl subscribing every day and staying. Plus there's a movie being worked on by Eve fans using original artwork. Wouldn't you ppl like to claim any of this as well?

Drake6k
09-08-07, 04:29
The noob experience sucks so completely hardcore, there is no way new players can come into Neocron.

REMOVE MC5!!!!

First impressions are everything and mc5 is BAD, no players, no sense of worth; let players start in their apartment, something they that gives them a sense of value.

With mc5 gone and hopefully all anti-city moving back home, the noob experience is centered inside of Neocron. KK could work on upgrading sewers, undergrounds, increasing quality of store bought guns to 60% or so, adding MORE VENDORS, upgrading outzone, and so on.

Also repairing, researching, constructing; noobs usually need other people to tradeskill for them. Because there is such a low population right now, low levels are fucked for gear and support from other players. A better system where tradeskilling was easier for everyone, or at least possible with a combat setup... that would help the noob experience a whole lot aswell.

Burgeri
09-08-07, 10:48
MC5 was always a strange idea. For an RP-minded player the suggested amnesia also implies a complete break from whatever past or background story you might have imagined for your runner. For an action-oriented player it is... frustrating run over empty landscape looking for a few small critters you then stab with a knife... (at least after expending your first clip of ammo). And this supposed to be cyberpunk?

Riddle
09-08-07, 14:39
Started a noob char the other day and WTF!! was a level 14 char doing in MC5?

Either You guys are having a competition to see who can cap first in MC5 noob area heh heh or this guy had the patience of a true neocron player!! and yet to experience the delights of city life!!

REMOVE MC5!!! I had that dam place, just run right through and onto my nice new appy :)

nellus
09-08-07, 15:54

Thats nothing I started a new char about 2 weeks ago and saw a rank **/40 runner there. I had to check twice before i believed it. Ive forgotten his name now though, i did write it down somewhere if i find it ill add it.

Faid
09-08-07, 16:26

Either You guys are having a competition to see who can cap first in MC5 noob area heh heh or this guy had the patience of a true neocron player!! and yet to experience the delights of city life!!
Or he didnt know what a GR was and had no idea that he could leave :p

solid-rock
09-08-07, 17:29
The noob experience sucks so completely hardcore, there is no way new players can come into Neocron.

REMOVE MC5!!!!

First impressions are everything and mc5 is BAD, no players, no sense of worth; let players start in their apartment, something they that gives them a sense of value.

With mc5 gone and hopefully all anti-city moving back home, the noob experience is centered inside of Neocron. KK could work on upgrading sewers, undergrounds, increasing quality of store bought guns to 60% or so, adding MORE VENDORS, upgrading outzone, and so on.

Also repairing, researching, constructing; noobs usually need other people to tradeskill for them. Because there is such a low population right now, low levels are fucked for gear and support from other players. A better system where tradeskilling was easier for everyone, or at least possible with a combat setup... that would help the noob experience a whole lot aswell.

Well from an RP perspective what really happends is that you are forced into the background laidout for you in the toutorial. The offline toutorial acually works rather well as an introduction to the basic game mechanics, although it could do with abit of updating, and MC5 is a very efective leveling area for new characters.

Ofcourse very few people who play the game have acually given MC5 eanough time to find that they will level a new char faster there than in the city's and thus the common advice to new players is to get out of mc5 ASAP wich might be the wrong idea to give them as MC5 is a mutch simpler enviroment to learn your first lessons within.

MC5 may need some polishing to be slightly more acessible to newbies but the concept is neither flawed nor odd and is quite widely used within MMO's.

Rubycat
09-08-07, 17:57
I was a new player and MC5 wasn't really that bad, and unless they changed it (I stopped playing before the whole 2.1 and 2.2 deals) you could make a good bit of cash early on killing the robots and bringing back parts for a quest.

But like said, what really kinda threw me off was the syncing issue (logging in to either not be able to do anything, or having a mess up in my inventory, or being completely overweight for who knows what reason just got to me.) Its not fun to have to re log over and over just to get on with the game.

when I wasn't having bad sync though, it was pretty fun -even if killing Launcher cyclops was a bit boring in mass.-

=Never took out the LE, so no PvP. was really just working on my pistol PE (or at least trying to)

Strife
10-08-07, 10:52
Exactly NOT.

Basic ideas from the thread maybe good ones, but this game in this state of completion is not able to HOLD enough players long enough which could be lured into by the things described.

First bugs/ balancing aspects and story line issues have to be solved, then it makes sense to invite a lot of players to come in....

Remember March 12th - how many of the hundreds of players are still here ????
Let's be realistic here, a lot of these bugs are here to stay it seems. Some here since the start. And since when were there enough runners even in the game to tell if a larger playerbase is too much stress on the servers?

You wouldnt believe how many times ive come into an argument with friends who insist on judging neocron solely by a single screenshot. So tell them about the pvp, op fights etc. While they are rarer, neocron still does have far greater pvp than any carebear crap mmo out there :P
But it sounds like they dont care too much about pvp if they need pretty pictures to look at. :P

hehe, if I went by a single screenshot I'd be right along with them and never beta tested this game. The only question to KK I have is 'How much money would you like to make off this game? The amount you currently are, or 10 to 20x that amount?' If you want option B, the smart option, you'd fix the net code. Look at the other successes out there, EVE, Anarchy Online. I'm the type of guy that likes EVE and can stand boring shit for a long time if it leads to fun, but those games don't have shit on this game. There's no doubt this game would have been a big success if the project manager or whoever had the priorities straight, and a good publisher(ie not CDV).

REMOVE MC5!!!!

With mc5 gone and hopefully all anti-city moving back home, the noob experience is centered inside of Neocron. KK could work on upgrading sewers, undergrounds, increasing quality of store bought guns to 60% or so, adding MORE VENDORS, upgrading outzone, and so on
I agree with this. MC5 in noob area is completly uneeded and serves little purpose. I'm glad they're going back to letting anti in neocron, splitting up a small community makes absolutely no sense at all. And I'm pretty sure if i was a noob and saw doy as my start area and had no idea where to go, seeing its just a huge maze, and NOONE even around, i'd quit. And i'm sure that goes for a lot of people. Bring back the old days of rat bashing and aggie slaying in pp sewers :P

Oh also kk, PLEASE REMOVE THE 3 SEC WAVE FILE ON THE WEBSITE THAT REPEATS OVER AND OVERyou want new players to read up on the game and decide whether they want to play? Please don't annoy the hell out of them :/

Half the reason i'm looking forward to having anti's in nc is that hopefully TH dies as a hangout and we're read of the 3sec sound that repeats constantly.

sojuro
10-08-07, 13:36
Look at the other successes out there, EVE, Anarchy Online. I'm the type of guy that likes EVE and can stand boring shit for a long time if it leads to fun, but those games don't have shit on this game. There's no doubt this game would have been a big success if the project manager or whoever had the priorities straight, and a good publisher(ie not CDV).

Strife, read the rest of my post and you'll notice that I wrote how successful Eve is. Those guys know how to program net code and that's what's lacking with KK. Having a publisher has nothing to do with it, CCP doesn't have one and look at them.

If the game properly synched with the server ppl would stay. You will not find this problem in ANY other mmo or any net game. How can it be expected for ppl to stay and pay when a lot of the times they are spending time just gettin a good synch. The first day back I spent 1 hr playing out of 3 hrs total from the time I first tried gettin in to the time I got frustrated and called it a night.

Any other gaming developers would NEVER allow a game to go retail in the condition that this game has been in.

Strife
10-08-07, 14:35
Not having a publisher has nothing to do with it? Please. CCP advertised and got the name out, external publisher or not. And netcode is hardly the one thing thats stopped people from coming back.

sojuro
10-08-07, 14:42
Not having a publisher has nothing to do with it? Please. CCP advertised and got the name out, external publisher or not. And netcode is hardly the one thing thats stopped people from coming back.

Netcode yes isn't the only reason why but it is the number one reason.

Torg
10-08-07, 15:16
... how successful Eve is. Those guys know how to program net code and that's what's lacking with KK.

If the game properly synched with the server ppl would stay. You will not find this problem in ANY other mmo or any net game.

Any other gaming developers would NEVER allow a game to go retail in the condition that this game has been in.
hm. did you ever play *any* MMO besides NC, and maybe WoW? EVE (which i played a lot, and liked it) is a click-and-wait. like WoW. not a realtime, like NC. and yet there's heavy sync problems now and then in EVE. and big battles are still likely to crash the zone/system there. and the state of bugginess (which isnt bad in NC beyond the sync thingy) is way worse in a lot of other MMOs.

don't compare any existing games to your dreams, tho.

sojuro
10-08-07, 15:32
hm. did you ever play *any* MMO besides NC, and maybe WoW? EVE (which i played a lot, and liked it) is a click-and-wait. like WoW. not a realtime, like NC. and yet there's heavy sync problems now and then in EVE. and big battles are still likely to crash the zone/system there. and the state of bugginess (which isnt bad in NC beyond the sync thingy) is way worse in a lot of other MMOs.

don't compare any existing games to your dreams, tho.

Beta tested; NC, RF Online, Eve, Face of Mankind. Played in retail; Anarchy Online, Eve, NC, Everquest.

Synch should never be confused with lag. They are totally different things. When you connect to a game server you are synching with it so what you see and do match what others see and do. Lag is caused by when there's more things happening or being viewed that your pc can't handle at once, slow internet speeds, or slow servers. Know what you're talking about before talking about it.

Flame Bait
11-08-07, 05:36
hm. did you ever play *any* MMO besides NC, and maybe WoW? EVE (which i played a lot, and liked it) is a click-and-wait. like WoW. not a realtime, like NC.

:lol: Its obvious you never played WoW for very long.. Click and wait my ass.

L2 is Click and Wait which is nothing like WoW. The only waiting period in WoW is the cool down before an ability can be used again. Some abilities have long cool downs and others simply use the GCD. They were also made this way because the players demand things be nurfed and DPS output directly relates to time. It became apparent of why the the GCD is needed by when a bug at one time allowed Rogues to shoot faster then hunters.

Ive played them all from Eve to Guild Wars to WoW and many smaller ones you may never even hear about. I also spent tons of money buying gold and supporting those poor underprivileged farmers in China so many gamers hate. I have been playing games since Activation and believe it or not NC was my very fist MMO. This game opened up a whole new world of gaming to me which is the one reason it will never be forgotten.

Serious_Sam
12-08-07, 01:33
I also spent tons of money buying gold and supporting those poor underprivileged farmers in China so many gamers hate.

My God, so not only are you out to destroy this forum, you're also out to fuck up the game's economy. Well done ass face.

suler
12-08-07, 04:01
I agree with this. MC5 in noob area is completly uneeded and serves little purpose. I'm glad they're going back to letting anti in neocron, splitting up a small community makes absolutely no sense at all. And I'm pretty sure if i was a noob and saw doy as my start area and had no idea where to go, seeing its just a huge maze, and NOONE even around, i'd quit. And i'm sure that goes for a lot of people. Bring back the old days of rat bashing and aggie slaying in pp sewers :P
I also agree, the noob experience is really one of the biggest problems with keeping anybody. The noob experience is still terrible, even if you don't count mc5. Every single person I tried to introduce into neocron after it became neocron2 quit before making it to a decent level. Losing their cash dieing, their stuff breaking, then having to find people to repair/build them new stuff, all the while having no real idea what their goal is.

The balance and bugs are things people can overlook if they enjoy the game, even if they were completely fixed first nobody would play long enough to find that out.

But like said, what really kinda threw me off was the syncing issue (logging in to either not be able to do anything, or having a mess up in my inventory, or being completely overweight for who knows what reason just got to me.) Its not fun to have to re log over and over just to get on with the game.

This sounds like a problem with the ports being forwarded correctly if it was happening that often. A similar thing happened to me: I had it set to use local port and forwarded that port, but it turned out it was also using that port and the one above it.