PDA

View Full Version : [OT] What Browser do you use to surf the blog-o-tubes?

Asurmen Spec Op
06-08-07, 13:04
Well, lets see what you use :o

I use Opera 9.22

tarasm
06-08-07, 13:17
God damn u ask so many questions i use Mozilla firefox

Dribble Joy
06-08-07, 13:19
Firefox for everything.

Asurmen Spec Op
06-08-07, 13:20
God damn u ask so many questions i use Mozilla firefox
Its 5:30 and I'm bored. :(

aKe`cj
06-08-07, 13:36
I use Opera 9.22

same here.. although I love using opera (smoothest usability imho) I have recently decided to switch to FF for casual browsing as Opera has a few critical JS/CSS bugs that have cost me 2 days of work on a project... :mad:

Asurmen Spec Op
06-08-07, 13:40
same here.. although I love using opera (smoothest usability imho) I have recently decided to switch to FF for casual browsing as Opera has a few critical JS/CSS bugs that have cost me 2 days of work on a project... :mad:
hmm, I haven't had any issues.

Vampire222
06-08-07, 13:42
Firefox nightlies...

solid-rock
06-08-07, 13:48
Firefox for the win tbh. I think these dayes it surpassed IE as the most used browser.

ashley watts
06-08-07, 15:23
Internet explorer browser ! ;>

Kierz
06-08-07, 22:12
Firefox for the win tbh. I think these dayes it surpassed IE as the most used browser.for people with a clue about pc's.. but i think we're outnumbered by the people without a clue now?

Zefrian
06-08-07, 22:32
mainly Firefox ;
sometimes Internet Explorer,
sometimes Opera.

There are some sites in the www enforcing you to use IE, but luckily they are vanishing more and more.

And people writing www pages need several browsers in order to test their pages.

jini
07-08-07, 06:50
You are all nubs. I use Safari. :p

tarasm
07-08-07, 12:03
You are all nubs I use EVE Browser ingame :P

silent000
07-08-07, 12:15

Which is the worst browser ever :D

CoreInsanity
07-08-07, 18:42
Firefox for the win tbh. I think these dayes it surpassed IE as the most used browser.

No, it hasnt, as far as overall stats. IE comes with just about every PC people buy from stores / places like dell and gateway / etc, because they come with windows, and windows comes with IE. People do not know there is a better browser out there, and do not know they can switch.

FF is the best IMO, Opera has issues with ajax (Last I saw). I couldnt get ads to block correctly on it. From what I can tell, on Opera you have to mod files and all this shit just to get it to block ads, where as firefox you just install ad-block, which blocks most ads, and the ones you find that arent blocked you can add and all that.

I heard Opera can use some FF extensions, however, I have found no place to actually import / install the extension file. On top of this, most of the Opera "widgets" are complete crap and most of the time useless (Except maybe the web development ones, but I wouldnt do web development on a browser, that as far as I can tell, dosnt run ajax correctly).

If you cant tell, I use FF :)

EVE IGB is the most horrid piece of crap browser to have ever been made. Im sorry, it just sucks :)

Hell, last I checked, their IGB forums dont even load on it (Might have been fixed, I saw something about a browser fix in one of the recent patches, but I have not checked after them).

Asurmen Spec Op
08-08-07, 01:51
No, it hasnt, as far as overall stats. IE comes with just about every PC people buy from stores / places like dell and gateway / etc, because they come with windows, and windows comes with IE. People do not know there is a better browser out there, and do not know they can switch.

FF is the best IMO, Opera has issues with ajax (Last I saw). I couldnt get ads to block correctly on it. From what I can tell, on Opera you have to mod files and all this shit just to get it to block ads, where as firefox you just install ad-block, which blocks most ads, and the ones you find that arent blocked you can add and all that.

I heard Opera can use some FF extensions, however, I have found no place to actually import / install the extension file. On top of this, most of the Opera "widgets" are complete crap and most of the time useless (Except maybe the web development ones, but I wouldnt do web development on a browser, that as far as I can tell, dosnt run ajax correctly).

If you cant tell, I use FF :)

EVE IGB is the most horrid piece of crap browser to have ever been made. Im sorry, it just sucks :)

Hell, last I checked, their IGB forums dont even load on it (Might have been fixed, I saw something about a browser fix in one of the recent patches, but I have not checked after them).
Opera adhears to standards much better than the mozilla projects.

Fega
08-08-07, 01:55
Firefox :o :angel:

CoreInsanity
08-08-07, 02:28
Opera adhears to standards much better than the mozilla projects.

I have read this, but I have yet to actually notice a real difference other than the fact http://winlike.com works on FF but does not on Opera, as well as some other stuff.

If thats the only better thing that can be said for it, then honestly, id rather suffer from the less (And apparently, not very noticeable) compliance to standards, and be able to:

1) Block ads easy as hell
2) Get some actually useful extensions (Granted, some are useful, but most of them for opera just look like things to play around with when your bored).
3) Be able to open more than one instance of the browser (I have the latest free version [ I think theres a paid? ] and I can only open one instance of the browser). Granted, there are tabs, but maybe I want to have 2 browsers with tabs... easier to compare stuff that way. GL on opera

As for the web standards - I have coded sites to standards, they worked fine on both opera and FF unless you added Ajax (Or some JS), in which case it ran fine on FF, but the Ajax would not work on opera.

You show me how to:
1) Block ads without needing to mod ini files
2) Import FF extensions (Such as ad block) and have them work (I cant seam to find a way to even import them, even though it says you can).
3) Open more than one instance of the browser (Short of buying it, im not paying for something I can easily get legally for free).
4) Make it support Ajax and other stuff along those lines

And I will consider switching to Opera to see how it is with those changes.

Asurmen Spec Op
08-08-07, 02:41
I have read this, but I have yet to actually notice a real difference other than the fact http://winlike.com works on FF but does not on Opera, as well as some other stuff.

If thats the only better thing that can be said for it, then honestly, id rather suffer from the less (And apparently, not very noticeable) compliance to standards, and be able to:

1) Block ads easy as hell
2) Get some actually useful extensions (Granted, some are useful, but most of them for opera just look like things to play around with when your bored).
3) Be able to open more than one instance of the browser (I have the latest free version [ I think theres a paid? ] and I can only open one instance of the browser). Granted, there are tabs, but maybe I want to have 2 browsers with tabs... easier to compare stuff that way. GL on opera

As for the web standards - I have coded sites to standards, they worked fine on both opera and FF unless you added Ajax (Or some JS), in which case it ran fine on FF, but the Ajax would not work on opera.

You show me how to:
1) Block ads without needing to mod ini files
2) Import FF extensions (Such as ad block) and have them work (I cant seam to find a way to even import them, even though it says you can).
3) Open more than one instance of the browser (Short of buying it, im not paying for something I can easily get legally for free).
4) Make it support Ajax and other stuff along those lines

And I will consider switching to Opera to see how it is with those changes.
I have zip problems with AJAX on any version of Opera > 9.20

1)Cant remember, I know theres a way
2)Import firefox extensions into opera? Can I get my Opera widgets working in FF too then? That is a rediculous thing to ask
3)O_o Open new windows, they show as a different iirc
4)I dont have any issues with AJAX

Opera is no longer the pay app it once was, though I'm not sure why you need to run multiple browsers at once, you can simply open a new window and it will work like another(exactly like running another browser). File->New Window.

Havoc One
08-08-07, 03:04
Opera is my main. I have noticed that certain pages fubar though, I just swap over to IE when that happens.

Necpock
08-08-07, 03:17
Internet Exploere? Anyone?

Netscape 3 lives on in my heart. :angel:

LiL T
08-08-07, 03:50
Firefox f*ck M$ when I see people using IE it makes me want to throwup, Firefox is so much faster in its default settings and then if you tweak about:config omfg never using M$ IE ever again. The new IE is a complete joke trying to copy Firefoxes tab browsing etc but looks like a total graphical monstrosity. My dad uses IE I keep telling him use firefox FFS... and when I'm on his computer he uses the old IE because he don't like the new one which is understandable.. You can't have tabbed browsing :mad: makes me f*cking sick and I have cleanup all the spyware that gets on his machine due to a shitty insecure browser GG billy gates plz die some time soon you prick!

Fega
08-08-07, 04:00
In the red corner, Lil T, and the blue corner Internet Explorer.

Ding ding ding

LiL T
08-08-07, 04:04
In the red corner, Lil T, and the blue corner Internet Explorer.

Ding ding ding

I'd clearly just exploit one of many of microsofts bugs and totaly ******** its ass :lol:

Winner

CoreInsanity
08-08-07, 04:13
I have zip problems with AJAX on any version of Opera > 9.20

1)Cant remember, I know theres a way
2)Import firefox extensions into opera? Can I get my Opera widgets working in FF too then? That is a rediculous thing to ask
3)O_o Open new windows, they show as a different iirc
4)I dont have any issues with AJAX

Opera is no longer the pay app it once was, though I'm not sure why you need to run multiple browsers at once, you can simply open a new window and it will work like another(exactly like running another browser). File->New Window.

1) Then its to hard to do. Only things I have found to block ads either a) Dont work, or b) Are to complicated (Not that I cant figure it out, but simplicity is nice.)
2) Hey, I have heard countless times where opera people tell me "Oh yea, FF extensions work on Opera" - I say its bullshit, but thats what I hear, so I want to know how.
3) Whenever I try to open a new instance via the icon it opens a new tab. Though, I do see the new window (Must have missed it before, One down, yay)
4) Then please tell me, does http://winlike.com work for you? works 100% fine for me on FF, but when I open it on opera, its the winless version (The version without the ajax for moving the windows / etc / etc.) I have 9.22 installed. If it does, please tell me how to do it, because I cant seem to get it to work.

CMaster
08-08-07, 12:19
Opera and Firefox are rather different approaches really.
Firefox is meant to keep bloat to a minimum, so it comes with as few features as possible. You want more, get the extentions that you want. Opera on the other hand is a raher more bloaty beast, that comes with a vast array of features. Most of which you will never use, but at least you don't have to go searching for.

Firefox is availble in different builds for many different OSes. Opera runs on a java VM so will run on damn near anything, albeit slowly.

Oh and incidentally, Firefox here. Not for any rational reason, but simply because I get on with the interface MUCH better than any other browser.

CoreInsanity
08-08-07, 16:57
Firefox is meant to keep bloat to a minimum, so it comes with as few features as possible. You want more, get the extentions that you want. Opera on the other hand is a raher more bloaty beast, that comes with a vast array of features. Most of which you will never use, but at least you don't have to go searching for.

Firefox is availble in different builds for many different OSes. Opera runs on a java VM so will run on damn near anything, albeit slowly.

Oh and incidentally, Firefox here. Not for any rational reason, but simply because I get on with the interface MUCH better than any other browser.

Yea, I think that might be why I like FF better tbh.

I dont hate opera, or think its bad, FF just fits me better :)

Asurmen Spec Op
08-08-07, 21:44
1) Then its to hard to do. Only things I have found to block ads either a) Dont work, or b) Are to complicated (Not that I cant figure it out, but simplicity is nice.)
2) Hey, I have heard countless times where opera people tell me "Oh yea, FF extensions work on Opera" - I say its bullshit, but thats what I hear, so I want to know how.
3) Whenever I try to open a new instance via the icon it opens a new tab. Though, I do see the new window (Must have missed it before, One down, yay)
4) Then please tell me, does http://winlike.com work for you? works 100% fine for me on FF, but when I open it on opera, its the winless version (The version without the ajax for moving the windows / etc / etc.) I have 9.22 installed. If it does, please tell me how to do it, because I cant seem to get it to work.
1) not sure on 1 :o
2)I've never heard it, might be true but it sounds rediculous to ask for FF extentions on Opera.
3)yaay
4)give me 30secs :o

edit:
Winlike says it doesn't support it, which is odd because I know ajax things work in opera, unless Im really crazy O_o

FF for me always seemed alot more bloated, ofcorse my dislike for FF came from the early FF2.0 which was really damned annoying(I don't like the downloads window, I like opera's tab better) and the mem leak, security issues and crashes made me go looking for new browsers

Torg
08-08-07, 22:02
opera 9.22

but i also would advise firefox. for girls.

CoreInsanity
08-08-07, 22:55
1) not sure on 1 :o
2)I've never heard it, might be true but it sounds rediculous to ask for FF extentions on Opera.
3)yaay
4)give me 30secs :o

edit:
Winlike says it doesn't support it, which is odd because I know ajax things work in opera, unless Im really crazy O_o

FF for me always seemed alot more bloated, ofcorse my dislike for FF came from the early FF2.0 which was really damned annoying(I don't like the downloads window, I like opera's tab better) and the mem leak, security issues and crashes made me go looking for new browsers

I have only had crashing problems with FF, which I have since fixed.

The only other bad things I have personally heard said against FF are:
1) Memory useage: FF caches websites to memory, which causes it to use quite a bit of ram. This is simple to fix: go to "about:config", search "cache", find "browser.cache.memory.enable" in the list it gives and double click it to set it to false. I personally also have the disk cache option ("browser.cache.disk.enable") turned off. I use about as much, if not a bit less (Have not tested recently) than opera.

2) Security issues: I have never had a security problem with FF. Maybe some one who has no clue how to use a comp and manages to install FF might, but I never have.

Other than that, I have not really heard anything *bad* about FF. The only other thing I personally dont like is the fact that installing extensions / themes or what not requires a restart of the browser.

numb
08-08-07, 23:38
At work I use a combination of IE6 and Firefox. IE6 to test out all the stuff we develop and Firefox for my browsing (just for the tabs).

I am really not that fussed to install firefox at home, auto update has made sure I have IE7 and its tabbed browsing. To be honest there are only a few sites I frequent and they all work just fine in IE.

Lodar
09-08-07, 01:02
I've finally sold out and decided to jump on the Firefox bandwagon, though personally I don't see what was wrong with IE (stay away from the pr0n and you won't get popups and spyware :P )

That being said the main reason I went firefox was for the RSS.

Heavyporker
09-08-07, 01:23
Been on firefox for quite a while. Converted from IE when it wasn't keeping up with one of my browser-based mmos.

That said, don't expect to see me around for a couple weeks while I help out at a rock concert.

Maybe I'll reward your patience with a Neocron photo or story. *sigh* Been too long.

Asurmen Spec Op
09-08-07, 14:00
I have only had crashing problems with FF, which I have since fixed.

The only other bad things I have personally heard said against FF are:
1) Memory useage: FF caches websites to memory, which causes it to use quite a bit of ram. This is simple to fix: go to "about:config", search "cache", find "browser.cache.memory.enable" in the list it gives and double click it to set it to false. I personally also have the disk cache option ("browser.cache.disk.enable") turned off. I use about as much, if not a bit less (Have not tested recently) than opera.

2) Security issues: I have never had a security problem with FF. Maybe some one who has no clue how to use a comp and manages to install FF might, but I never have.

Other than that, I have not really heard anything *bad* about FF. The only other thing I personally dont like is the fact that installing extensions / themes or what not requires a restart of the browser.
The security bug in FF was the one that allowed a site to fish the entire saved passwords list from the browser.

and just by leaving FF running when I had it caused it to slowly eat memory, it may(see:is) be fixed now, but those security/mem issues put me in the market for a new one.

Riddle
09-08-07, 14:42
Firefox since b4 i can remember Fuck Microsoft

CoreInsanity
09-08-07, 16:35
The security bug in FF was the one that allowed a site to fish the entire saved passwords list from the browser.

and just by leaving FF running when I had it caused it to slowly eat memory, it may(see:is) be fixed now, but those security/mem issues put me in the market for a new one.

To address the password list: I am sure that has been fixed. I doubt they would let that go for too long.
To address the memory leak: Not really sure if its been fixed, I think it has though.

Edit: I have watched the memory usage for about 5 minutes now, it has not really gone up. It could also depend on plugins, or it could be a bug in the caching system for memory and disk caching - as I have them turned off.

Asurmen Spec Op
10-08-07, 08:39
To address the password list: I am sure that has been fixed. I doubt they would let that go for too long.
To address the memory leak: Not really sure if its been fixed, I think it has though.

Edit: I have watched the memory usage for about 5 minutes now, it has not really gone up. It could also depend on plugins, or it could be a bug in the caching system for memory and disk caching - as I have them turned off.
Oh I know, they had it fixed in a few weeks, I'm fully aware. It just put me in the market at the time, I found opera and it had alot of things I liked that FF didn't, and didn't feel as bloated.

DARK_Overfiend
13-08-07, 12:50
i use Netscape v8.1.3

Engine;
Mozilla v5.0
or
Internet Explorer

Skusty
13-08-07, 19:59
The fox on fire.

Serious_Sam
13-08-07, 23:22
I've used Opera before, but somewhere along the lines transitioned to FF.

CoreInsanity
13-08-07, 23:50
Oh I know, they had it fixed in a few weeks, I'm fully aware. It just put me in the market at the time, I found opera and it had alot of things I liked that FF didn't, and didn't feel as bloated.

Yea, I dont have anything against opera. I have used it at times when FF is being retarded (Happens, sometimes) or when testing web development stuff ill load it on IE / opera and FF.

What features does it have that FF dosnt? (Dont take it as a 'OMG im going to prove you wrong' lol, just wondering.).

Honestly, the *only* thing I dont like about opera, is the ad blocking abilities is horrid, as far as how easy it is to do. IMO, if you cant just tell it to block ads, auto-update an ad-blocking list (Like ad-block plus with the .g filter set thing does) then its to complicated, especially from what I saw when I looked up how to block ads. It told me to go to some sub directory in the application data folder[forgot which application data folder] and add stuff to urlblock.ini or something along those lines, and from what I got out of it, I would have to update that file every time i wanted up-to-date ad blocking list.

Just was to tedious for me, and I could not really find anything other than that.

CMaster
14-08-07, 01:01
For the record:
Browser stats for neocron.linxsoft.co.uk

1 1929 544 Firefox
1859 519 Firefox/2
70 25 Firefox/1
2 1649 601 MSIE
1128 288 MSIE/7
385 177 MSIE/6
136 136 MSIE/5
3 205 205 Netscape (compatible)
4 126 49 Opera
79 30 Opera/9
47 19 Opera/8
5 92 92 msnbot
92 92 msnbot/1
6 82 82 msnbot-media
82 82 msnbot-media/1
7 33 7 Netscape
16 5 Netscape/8
17 2 Netscape/4
8 26 26 Mozilla
9 19 19 T-Online Browser
10 18 18 DA
13 13 DA/7
5 5 DA/5
11 16 4 Konqueror
16 4 Konqueror/3
12 13 13 GetRight
13 13 GetRight/5
13 9 9 Windows-Media-Player
4 4 Windows-Media-Player/9
3 3 Windows-Media-Player/11
2 2 Windows-Media-Player/10

Hmm, that pasted badly - seems vbulletin edits out the useful spaces.
Fixed sorta.
Fixed better using code tags - a monospaced font wouldn't help as vbulletin activleuy deletes additional spaces.
No, I have no idea who the hell is using netscape 4.

aKe`cj
14-08-07, 01:46
use a monospace font or the CODE tags next time :)

...suprisingly low cut on opera there - thats what you get for the invention of tabbed browsing and mouse gestures :p

Asurmen Spec Op
14-08-07, 12:40
Yea, I dont have anything against opera. I have used it at times when FF is being retarded (Happens, sometimes) or when testing web development stuff ill load it on IE / opera and FF.

What features does it have that FF dosnt? (Dont take it as a 'OMG im going to prove you wrong' lol, just wondering.).

Honestly, the *only* thing I dont like about opera, is the ad blocking abilities is horrid, as far as how easy it is to do. IMO, if you cant just tell it to block ads, auto-update an ad-blocking list (Like ad-block plus with the .g filter set thing does) then its to complicated, especially from what I saw when I looked up how to block ads. It told me to go to some sub directory in the application data folder[forgot which application data folder] and add stuff to urlblock.ini or something along those lines, and from what I got out of it, I would have to update that file every time i wanted up-to-date ad blocking list.

Just was to tedious for me, and I could not really find anything other than that.
Im not going to run around trying to prove the omg features thing, to be honest I can't even remember anymore. The way opera worked when I was looking for new browsers was just something I liked :P
I do agree on the adblocking issues, hopefully for 9.3 :D

Kanedax
14-08-07, 16:03
Internet Exploere? Anyone?

Netscape 3 lives on in my heart. :angel:
Wtf Netscape?! I'd forgotten about that poor excuse for something to take a nice steaming crap on. I use IE at work and Firefox at home, ftw. :D

unreal
14-08-07, 18:21
Only use IE if it's forced upon me by silly developers deciding to use it in one way or another (ie, Neocron Launcher :p). Other than that, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Firefox all the way. Apart from the lack of security, there's one more decisive reason to ditch IE and use anything else. Microsoft don't seem to care about keeping it up to date with the current standards, let alone being cross-browser compliant. They often say and do the equivalent to "let's do things our own way and be a pain in the arse". I recently decided to reconsider my intense hate of JavaScript now that it has essentially global support, is enabled by default in most browsers, Ajax is increasingly worth taking advantage of, and it's no longer just an annoyance to the end-user. The day generally goes like this. Spend 30minutes writing JavaScript code. Spend an hour rewriting it to make sure it works as intended, or at all, in IE. :D Microsoft wanting to do things differently to such pointless extremes is the reason I'm loathing them more by the day. Douglas Crockford talks about some of these instances in his JavaScript lectures to the point where it becomes slightly amusing.

Short answer for those who either don't care or can't be bothered to read: Firefox. :cool:

CoreInsanity
14-08-07, 18:28
Im not going to run around trying to prove the omg features thing, to be honest I can't even remember anymore. The way opera worked when I was looking for new browsers was just something I liked :P
I do agree on the adblocking issues, hopefully for 9.3 :D

yea, understandable :)

And yea, hopefully - its a really big drawback imo.

Conduit
14-08-07, 18:47
I'm pretty surprised that no one has mentioned Flock (http://www.flock.com/) yet.
It uses mozilla as a base to work with and then, with a lot of input from different people, it kinda morphed into something a little different. ;)
Very cool IMO. Check it out.

Flame Bait
15-08-07, 12:19
Found this one the other day its huge in Asia. http://www.maxthon.com

CoreInsanity
15-08-07, 17:14
Found this one the other day its huge in Asia. http://www.maxthon.com

Looks like a decent browser, only problem i seam to have with it is a lot of the plugins are in chinese / korean (Or w/e it is). Which can be expected I guess.

Nytewolf2k7
19-08-07, 18:51
I generally use Mozilla Firefox, for everything else (microsoft related, like windows update) IE...