PDA

View Full Version : would a server clean up help at all?

Kierz
01-08-07, 13:21
i went into a mate of mines apt yesterday who's account has been dead for well over 2 years cause i needed somewhere to quickly afk while i was in via on a bd tanky.. anyway there was a shit load of junk dropped in his apt lift from years ago

i know the rule of the zones needing to be being actively in use (they're taken out the servers memory 30 seconds after they've been left idle) for the item clearing code to make things left on the floor for over 2 mins (or something) disappear (also at 00:00) so there's enevitably thousands of apts with stuff dropped in them

does this effect the servers performance at all? or is it just taking up disk space and never actually effecting the servers running...

i get the feeling it at least has some effect cause when neptune was in use for a few weeks in 2005 the server felt so much smoother than TERRA, logins were like 3/4x less buggy... that would be a combination of a lot of things though not just items dropped in apts, but i'd assume the data for chars and apts are stored in a similar way so it amounts to the same

Seraphin[69]
01-08-07, 14:12
I guess it's stressing the database at least...

But this has probably nothing to do with the netcode

Nidhogg
02-08-07, 14:14
Let's try this again without the accusations/exploit discussion.

N

silent000
02-08-07, 14:17
Nick Milner is not impressed at all :mad:

Kazuya
02-08-07, 14:21
nice moderation for once ;p

MrTrip
02-08-07, 17:34
Why sure ^_^ Thats a great idea! But I think the community needs to really help its self.

Sell things to all buyers! Clean up your own apartments!

[ edited ]

John Bushido
02-08-07, 18:51
ive brought this idea several times, it would be very very nice, especially the trial accounts should be deleted, i guess it would help stabilize the server, and bring back a few more options to name a new character

Heavyporker
03-08-07, 19:34
What? Trial accounts aren't auto-deleted? Damn, that's kind of dubious management. I mean, hold on to trial accounts for a couple months in case a newcomer DOES decide to subscribe, but so many of us just use trial accounts for Epics and One-Off missions, don't we? ( I don't, though.)

Having some kind of automatic apartment-check utility that goes around everyone's apartments and toggles the apartment zone as occupied for 30 seconds would do a lot to clean up held-on garbage...

You know, it's just not apartments. What about some kind of zone-hopping routine that toggles each zone as active for however long it takes to auto-recall lost vehicles? That would end one recurring runner complaint. wouldn't it?

Seraphin[69]
04-08-07, 09:43
What? Trial accounts aren't auto-deleted? Damn, that's kind of dubious management. I mean, hold on to trial accounts for a couple months in case a newcomer DOES decide to subscribe, but so many of us just use trial accounts for Epics and One-Off missions, don't we? ( I don't, though.)

The trial accounts I created are still active personnaly. But I guess they have no way to keep track of those

Heavyporker
06-08-07, 02:01
']The trial accounts I created are still active personnaly. But I guess they have no way to keep track of those

That's.... that's just careless, in my opinion. I mean, honestly, wtf?

Kierz
06-08-07, 07:20
i don't think they've really deleted any account stuff (other than maybe banned ppl - most aren't deleted tho) ever? other than scrapping all nc1 accounts now.. i'm fairly sure if someone made a trial account in the first week and threw as much shit as you can on the floor of all of their apts on all chars all servers, then never actually paid money for their account, it would've been there pretty much from day1 of nc2 till present :P

Serious_Sam
07-08-07, 01:01
So, Mr. GM. How about adding to the discussion instead of taking away?

Necpock
07-08-07, 01:23
Databases can query and change things instantly, with absolutly no "stress" what so ever. If it has anything to do with the database at all, it would be the bandwidth accessing the database or even the hardware of the machine running the server (harddrive/memory write/read speed), which will cause a bottleneck.

I heard somewhere that no matter how massive the database or query is, the harddrive only needs to be read a maximum of 3 times to complete.

Stop blaming the database.. noobs ^^

<3 Steve

Kierz
07-08-07, 02:49
so why does the server gradually get worse and worse, zoning takes a little longer every month, bugged logins become a little more frequent every month, not much.. but over time its noticing

Necpock
08-08-07, 03:02
I see it with patches... but there could be a server side memory leak?! Nonody knows what happens down there =)

CMaster
08-08-07, 12:47
I see it with patches... but there could be a server side memory leak?! Nonody knows what happens down there =)
Various patch notes have mentioned fixing serverside memory leaks. Normally followed by "ZOMG what about the clientside ones!" posts.

Necpock
08-08-07, 15:56
Various patch notes have mentioned fixing serverside memory leaks. Normally followed by "ZOMG what about the clientside ones!" posts.

Not being funny but the amount of "fixes" made client side anyway, that havn't worked almost outweigh the ones which have worked.