PDA

View Full Version : Tool-tips? Labels? Not noob friendly.

Voideka
28-07-07, 08:36
Well, I've been trying to find an MMO to play, and Neocron 2 seems like it might be nice, except this game doesn't really seem designed to allow new players to join. Discounting the fact that it took me nearly a week to figure out how to give you money for a 10 day trial (which didn't happen, i got charged for the game and a months play due to the payment method...), there seem to be no tool-tips.

Normally when you have a complicated game, things have tool-tips, which enable new users to learn the interface while still being able to play. To play Neocron 2 I literally need to spend hours reading manuals and guides, mostly written by players. This was already a pretty big problem for me, as it was very very difficult to get used to the game, but it really was a problem when you guys shut down the subway for the storyline.

Here's me, I've logged a few hours in game, and now suddenly I need to walk from Via Rosso to the zone with all the sex shops. Auto nav doesn't work as it leads me to the subway, but luckily there's a map! Only, nothing is clearly labeled. What are A B C and D? I mean clearly it means something, but there's no legend and no tool-tips explaining what's what. I spent over two hours trying to get there, and it was still confusing to make my way back.

Is this game any good? I can't tell, and I'm not motivated to find out. Since there's no suggestion forum I'll just say it here: add some tool-tips and labels to things!

Apocalypsox
28-07-07, 08:46
They really should, but KK isnt familiar with new players. They havnt had any in 2-3 years -.-

If you ask around on the help channel, (Press F1, go to Custom channels, scroll all the way down and click on the help channel) im sure someone will give you a hand and walk you there. KK really shouldnt have fucked the subway, but shit happens when HIOB is trying to ******** us.

Mighty Max
28-07-07, 08:52
The map only shows the land outside the cities, the wastelands. The zones there are labeled for it's grid position (like it is on a street map in RL too)

The subway would really be the way to go, just enter the cab and stop at the pepper park (you'll notice the "red" feeling and it is labeled at the stations wall).

Have you tried asking your questions in the help channel ingame?

nellus
28-07-07, 09:11
As far as i am aware you still only get the 10 day day free trial when you sign up with click2pay. And unless you cancel the trial before the 10 days are up you will be charged.

Did you run through the tutorial when you first started? some of the things are explained there, admittedly not everything is explained there.

Ok they shut down the subway or the storyline, yes it can be anoying but atleast there is a storyline and they are dong something. Would you rather they did nothing?

Yes the zone maps just point to exits marked a,b,c etc but part of the enjoyment of the game is explring the unknown. Nothing is easy in this game you have to work to get things or to work things out.

As has been said above the "HELP" chanel will be your best friend probably through all your time here. We are mainly a friendly comunity who are happy to help others and espescially NOOBS. There are of course 1 or2 exceptions.

Hope to see you ingame soon

Nellus

specranator
28-07-07, 09:41
just walk away before the neocrack gets you ;)

Seraphin[69]
28-07-07, 11:06
To be honest do you really think it's easy for a noob to go to the wastelands without the Neocron Subway ?

I mean... He has to go throw PP3, Industrial, Outzone (which is a maze when you don't know it like your pocket and deals you tons of damage when not average/high level) ?

But yet KK doesn't care I guess ^^

Matanius
28-07-07, 11:21
Heh, harsh situation, from the sounds of things, you may be the guy I helped last night that I find staring at the fat women in the windows in PP :p

There is no 2 ways about it, this game doesn't like noobs. If you don't know the game or a rl friend who plays it can be VERY hard to get into. Somehow or another I managed to do it when I started. I read everything on THN and the official NC page which helped immensely, It shouldn't be like that though there needs to be more in-game to help new players. This has all been said before however and seems to have fallen on deaf ears each time so, I'm sorry to say Voideka, I very much doubt anything will change this time either :(

ColdKiss
28-07-07, 13:16
1) Use "Help" channel
2) Follow the signposts. The Red Light District is called "Pepperpark".

But yes, its a real PITA sometimes. Even as experienced Neocron Player I have trouble (started playing again 1-2 weeks ago), because the tooltips are mostly useless and I cannot access some feature list, guide list or even all patch notes in an acceptable way to find out what changed.
It was alot easier when the server didnt have 100-150 online max, but already that many players in plaza1. (And whensubway was working.) Playing the game was always alot about finding things out and sharing it. Even after months I learned new stuff and after over a year I still didnt know some things.

Anyway, just try to work around it. Ask in the help channel, try around and find out. Its worth it, imo.

CMaster
28-07-07, 13:30
Heh, harsh situation, from the sounds of things, you may be the guy I helped last night that I find staring at the fat women in the windows in PP :p

There is no 2 ways about it, this game doesn't like noobs. If you don't know the game or a rl friend who plays it can be VERY hard to get into. Somehow or another I managed to do it when I started. I read everything on THN and the official NC page which helped immensely, It shouldn't be like that though there needs to be more in-game to help new players. This has all been said before however and seems to have fallen on deaf ears each time so, I'm sorry to say Voideka, I very much doubt anything will change this time either :(

Matan mentions the THN (http://www.techhaven.org). Go to it, bookmark it, read it, make it your friend.

ashley watts
28-07-07, 14:08
Neocron is teh win ! ;D

Faid
28-07-07, 17:22
The noobie experience is very difficult and not at all likely to change. I can only say give it a shot and don't give up so many times. Good Luck.

ashley watts
28-07-07, 19:43
yeah starting off as a noob isnt exactly easy, but find a good group of people, ask then questions, where to level what to use etc. when you know all that the end game is very gurd :)

WaRü
28-07-07, 20:09
']To be honest do you really think it's easy for a noob to go to the wastelands without the Neocron Subway ?

I mean... He has to go throw PP3, Industrial, Outzone (which is a maze when you don't know it like your pocket and deals you tons of damage when not average/high level) ?

But yet KK doesn't care I guess ^^

1st: Venture Warp is your friend. :D Saves you all the way through all those nasty zones.

2nd: Don`t think, they thought about noobs while implementing new content :rolleyes:

Archy
28-07-07, 21:02
I can mentor anyone new to the pro city side, it can take 30-60 minutes depending on how much experience they have in general. Only problem is i cannot mentor anti city people (not that i care much lol j/k). The help channel is where i offer my mentoring service. They can then add me to their buddy list and direct message me later for questions. I just think they should make Missions a bit longer but more rewarding xp wise.

Torg
29-07-07, 00:13
are there really tooltips in WoW? no idea. couldnt be bothered playing this disneyed teenage-mmo.

and btw: growing up in the dome is easier compared to neocron city. just ask a veteran. spiders, mutants, aggressors, cyclops and bigger foes ready at hand. and better looking ammo vendors. choosing revolution over dictatorship always pays. venceremos.