PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Oh the humanity!

Hell-demon
21-07-07, 19:06
The weather in England is so shite!

I'm in live in the Midlands, the area affected most by the rain, and I've seen the chaos first hand. While travelling to Malvern, near Worcestershire another place of terribel flooding (even the army has gotten involved), I saw many things.

I saw whole areas of farm land flooded, abandoned cars, confused country men wondering around, clueless policemen, a mother eating her own baby just to survive.

Britain is in for a shitty wet summer. :(

Hell-demon
21-07-07, 23:55
[ edited - going off topic in your own thread is bad enough, but spoiling the latest Harry Potter plot for so many people is just low ]

RogerRamjet
22-07-07, 00:56
Agree with the weather. Beyond a joke.

PS. Send me the HP spoilers by PM please ;)

silent000
22-07-07, 00:56
Oh Hell demon u got owned :D

Apocalypsox
22-07-07, 01:00
Id rather be swimming than melting m8 =/ 110 degrees here daily (thats Fahrenheit btw.)

ashley watts
22-07-07, 01:58
Yep England is wank ! ;D

Dogface
22-07-07, 02:17
Id rather be swimming than melting m8 =/ 110 degrees here daily (thats Fahrenheit btw.)

Not when your ground floor is under 5 foot of water.

Jodo
22-07-07, 04:13
abandoned cars, confused country men wondering around, clueless policemen...

You say this like it's new. I suggest a poll. All those who haven't seen these things before, please state so. :lol:

Asurmen Spec Op
22-07-07, 10:04
It was 110F in my room today, screw you.
Thats common too

Hell-demon
22-07-07, 10:14
Really I think the weather is going to get worse. Oh I believe we can expect flash floods, tsunami's and maybe locusts just to piss people off. Never before have I seen so much chaos, execpt for maybe that petrol strike years back.

Definetly be thinking about packing a umbrella for when I go to Wales. If Wales isn't under the sea right now. Even if I get to Wales with my drama group I think I'm going to have a shit time. So...keep the faith that the weather gets better.

Matanius
22-07-07, 10:37
Tis all rather harsh, I hear what you're saying Jodo, England and Rain are certainly old friends but I cannot recall a time when it has been this bad and continuous. I mean people have died because of this rain ffs, don't get much more serious than that! Of course all the other shizzle you get when there are floods, as Hell pointed out before.

Jodo
22-07-07, 11:46
We now get rain that causes severe flooding in the middle of the year instead of 8 feet of snow in the winter. It's just British weather, always fucked up and mostly unpleasant.

I certainly do not wish to sound cavalier about the deaths that recent flooding has caused but I cannot fathom why year after year councils that have rivers running through their borders do absolutely nothing to try and prevent even the slightest trickle from causing grief.
I would definitely not be paying my council tax if I lived in such an area.

CMaster
22-07-07, 12:02
We now get rain that causes severe flooding in the middle of the year instead of 8 feet of snow in the winter. It's just British weather, always fucked up and mostly unpleasant.

I certainly do not wish to sound cavalier about the deaths that recent flooding has caused but I cannot fathom why year after year councils that have rivers running through their borders do absolutely nothing to try and prevent even the slightest trickle from causing grief.
I would definitely not be paying my council tax if I lived in such an area.

What are councils really meant to do when a developer builds an estate on a floodplain? Because make no mistake, thats who most of the people flooded are - people who are living where it has flooded for a long, long time. Admittedly this last batch of rain, which in the southwest was the most rain in 24 hours seen for a long, long time, following months of heavy rain has created floods in unexpected places.

And the reality of flood management is that it is just that. It is greatly expensive and often all you acheive is moving the flooding around, rather than actually stopping it. In addition, every new area that is developed (like all this new housing we apparently need) makes both flooding and doughts worse... The problem of flooding in the UK is one man made at least as much as it is weather based.

Still a really shitty summer, mind.

Jodo
22-07-07, 15:32
What are councils really meant to do when a developer builds an estate on a floodplain? Because make no mistake, thats who most of the people flooded are - people who are living where it has flooded for a long, long time. Admittedly this last batch of rain, which in the southwest was the most rain in 24 hours seen for a long, long time, following months of heavy rain has created floods in unexpected places.

And the reality of flood management is that it is just that. It is greatly expensive and often all you acheive is moving the flooding around, rather than actually stopping it. In addition, every new area that is developed (like all this new housing we apparently need) makes both flooding and doughts worse... The problem of flooding in the UK is one man made at least as much as it is weather based.

Still a really shitty summer, mind.

Yes all you can do is move the flood around, but they should be at least trying to move it to a less hazardous location. Even lowering fields and parkland in preparation so pumps can move the water from homes, shops and industrial sites.
The floods most likely can't be stopped but there is such a thing as damage control.

CMaster
22-07-07, 15:39
Yes all you can do is move the flood around, but they should be at least trying to move it to a less hazardous location. Even lowering fields and parkland in preparation so pumps can move the water from homes, shops and industrial sites.
The floods most likely can't be stopped but there is such a thing as damage control.

But a lot of these parklands and so on that used to flood have now been turned into housing estates. Thats the problem. This last batch of rain was so extreme that all sorts of crazy places have flooded, regardless of whatwas tried to stop it anyhow mind. But really, there isn't a lot that anyone can do to stop a place that has flooded for years from flooding any less when someone builds a batch of houses on it.

Jodo
22-07-07, 16:42
Perhaps the councils should demand that the new housing should have safeguards in place before passing out planning permissions.

If it falls within the councils borders then they are should take every measure to ensure safety. If these areas are flood hotspots before anything is even built, why are they giving the OK?

I may not have the answers on preventing this or at least "stemming the tide", but those answers fall to the local council. If the task is simply to big or expensive for them then government or EU help can be requested.

Anything other than watching the floods come in higher year after year.

StevenJ
22-07-07, 18:20
What bugs me most about stuff like this is, sooner or later, we get insurers bitching and whining about how - this time - they're gonna have to pay out billions. Are they expecting sympathy, because sometimes they have to pay out, as is the basis for their HUGE profits? They use crap like this to scare people into paying their premium! Damned fair-weather friends :p

Sammson
23-07-07, 14:20
My town is on the side of a 600 ft hill. It rains lots, but the runoff lasts only 12 hrs max and causes zero flooding.
The town next to mine is on a flat beach, at or below sea level. they can't even get flood insurance down there.
All government offices, shopping malls etc are on the beach, including the old highschool which has flooded so often it's ruined. So they're building a new school..... on the beach of course.

Serious_Sam
24-07-07, 01:54
You know whats fucking wierd? Here in Austin Tx (where i live now) this summer has been the coldest and wettest in recorded history.

Normally it should be between 40-50 C with no moisture at all. But its been inbetween 25-30 C with a shit load of rain and thunder echoing the wrath of God.

Seems if i stayed in Wales or not, i'd be getting wet.

Asurmen Spec Op
24-07-07, 02:22
Its hotter in utah than in texas?

thats weird.