PDA

View Full Version : Neocron On a 56.6

tarasm
28-06-07, 06:47
So as some of you saw I got expensive internet,But i got disc on the way,But I got an option of 56.6kb internet.Will neocron run on a 56.6 modem??I understand the ping will be way up of 5000 ping :P

Rogue Arson
28-06-07, 07:04
I'd never EVER zone on 56.6 if I were you.

Apocalypsox
28-06-07, 07:29
it would only take half an hour :lol:

Mighty Max
28-06-07, 09:01
There is no problem with that.

If you want to check that yourself, enable the fps display and look at the bandwidth. If it stays below max 7000 (<56.6) and average 4000 (<36.6) you'll be fine.

Actually neocron is playable on GSM (9.6kBit) if the ping on GSM woulnt be that bad (1-2secs)

tarasm
28-06-07, 09:44
So it would be better then paying 100$$ a day for internet for neocron....With this internet tho it is 1$ an hour.....GOTTA PAY 15$$$ A DAY!!!!11!!11111oneoneone

SorkZmok
28-06-07, 10:58
I've been playing on 56k for some time and it worked quite fine.

Even now with the shitty netcode you shouldn't have to worry too much as long as you're not trying to watch the motu. :lol:

Selendor
28-06-07, 11:54
Its rumoured that being on dial up can actually give you a competitive advantage (at least for avoiding death).

SorkZmok
28-06-07, 12:11
Its rumoured ...Like "being said on soldierz clan chat"?

:angel:

Archtemplar
28-06-07, 12:27

o_O ouch

silent000
28-06-07, 12:49
Like "being said on soldierz clan chat"?

oooo0o0o0000ooooooo

Selendor
28-06-07, 13:00
Like "being said on soldierz clan chat"?

Yes, as in we've seen other people in fights warping horribly around and we know they are on dial up. Can make a whole op war rubbish in fact as it has a knock on effect on updates in the zone.

Jodo
28-06-07, 14:29
56k players are bastards that cause lag and server crashes. They should all be shot. ;)

RogerRamjet
28-06-07, 14:43
I have friends who were happy playing NC on a 56k connection, no problems at all.

rob444
28-06-07, 15:14
I used to play NC1 back in the days with a 56k modem. It worked fine and latency wasn't THAT high, it was 100% playable. Only thing that bothered me was that my ISP automatically disconnected me after 3 hours of online time so I had to reconnect in the middle of op wars sometimes :/.

Hoder
29-06-07, 14:35
When my ADSL went tits up not long ago, I had to use a backup 56k dial-up service. ( <3 my ISP for that )

Neocron is perfectly playable. Ping wasn't great, around 300 average sometimes down to 200, but ok for tradeskilling, simple mobbing or what-have-you. I wouldn't like to try hardcore PvP with that connection, but I did online support for a while using 56k and it didn't affect my interaction with the playerbase one bit.

tarasm
30-06-07, 09:34
Well my Internet in las vegas is 100 mbps i got 200 ping average.Maybe because im far from my server???Being on a 56.6 and closer to the server will be the same as having 100 mbps in las vegas??

CMaster
30-06-07, 12:20
Well my Internet in las vegas is 100 mbps i got 200 ping average.Maybe because im far from my server???Being on a 56.6 and closer to the server will be the same as having 100 mbps in las vegas??

Ping is the time it takes to send a message to the servers and get it back again.
The speed of connection you have effects how much data you can get down the line. Provided you have a line big enough that it can handle all teh game's data without trouble (128k is probably enough for that in Neocron's case, many modern games expect at least 512k down), deciding factor in ping and game performance is line quality and distance from the server.

jini
30-06-07, 15:28
56.6, like cmaster says, has nothing to do with ping. However, since we are talking about analog connections here, it might be a lot better if you tweaked your modem for slower speeds, provided you are NOT behind an isdn line. If you are using an ISDN line, then take an ISDN modem as well and use it instead, as it is pure digital. Otherwise, try to limit your modem's speed by forcing it to connect to an even lower level if you get very high pings. The big problem is, that by leaving everything to auto, there might be a lot of retransmission errors which sure affect ping time.

gstyle40
30-06-07, 16:27
Neocron is perfectly playable. Ping wasn't great, around 300 average sometimes down to 200, but ok for tradeskilling, simple mobbing or what-have-you. I wouldn't like to try hardcore PvP with that connection, but I did online support for a while using 56k and it didn't affect my interaction with the playerbase one bit.

here in the states I have 190-200 ping all the time. if u pvp, just don't zonewhore or u'll be getting shot while in synchro. war barney plays on dial up as well, he only has probs when he trys to use vent while playing. but he says ts works for him :\ go figure

tarasm
30-06-07, 19:18
Can you please tell me how to connect to a slower level??

Mighty Max
30-06-07, 19:35
Can you please tell me how to connect to a slower level??

Modems usual implement the Hayes command set. Windows allows you to set an initialization string in that format before an connect. This way you can select the speed it tries to connect with.

tarasm
30-06-07, 20:41
WTF??? Simpler please!!! Im kinda retarded so make it step by step :D

Mighty Max
30-06-07, 21:20
Properties of your Modem -> Extended Settings (4th Tab) -> Add the command

ATF19
in example will set the speed to V.34 with 31,200 Bits/Sec

ATF20
would be the common 33.6kBit

jini
01-07-07, 07:13
Also, my logic says, that you should try and avoid using a compression protocol. 56k you can achieve by modems by using compression, but when you compress data, which after that need to be decompressed again, add just some more lag in the picture. Hardware or software compression simply means more time.
Tarasm check the manual of your modem. In there you will find a lot of info on how to pick the best protocol, uncompressed. Don't trust that much windows, and try going up and testing maybe from as low as 14 k or 28k.
If you really want to avoid all this mess, and if you have access to ISDN, use a pure digital and uncompressed isdn modem, which is as good as an ADSL connection.

tarasm
01-07-07, 08:00
Properties of your Modem -> Extended Settings (4th Tab) -> Add the command

ATF19
in example will set the speed to V.34 with 31,200 Bits/Sec

ATF20
would be the common 33.6kBit

English please in the photo :D

nobby
02-07-07, 22:58
On a side note, could someone explain the reason to Ping in this world...

I understand that I had 300 ping on US servers for CS on 56K, I got 6MB broadband, ping went down to 200-230 I get 400MB (at least i dunno what it is here) In my Japanese apartment, I get 130 Ping... on the US CS server.

ashley watts
02-07-07, 23:06

I understand that I had 300 ping on US servers for CS on 56K, I got 6MB broadband, ping went down to 200-230 I get 400MB (at least i dunno what it is here) In my Japanese apartment, I get 130 Ping... on the US CS server.

400mb you lucky cunt, make sure you make full use of downloadin pr0n :p

jini
03-07-07, 10:28

inside every wire, they live some very little creatures called pings. These are very small and they travel very fast. Some say near the speed of light. However, no matter how fast they travel there is still a lot of distance to cover . No matter if you are on an analog modem, or digital isdn/adsl them creatures are the same. A small exception exists for analog modems, which is a retransmission situation due to analog noise. Hence the reason to secure the whole thing using lower speeds.

zii
03-07-07, 21:53
I once logged into Pluto over a 9.6kB modem over my GSM from my laptop in Santiago's aeroport in Chile. I don't remember the ping but it was very difficult to kill aggies.

Mighty Max
03-07-07, 23:08
While based in the nomansland of the german south for my duty, i used to "play"* Neocron over GSM for some months, as this was the only possible way.

Ping was varying between 1500 and 2000ms most times. So no not really to recomment.

*read as: stayed in contact with the mates

leomaxwell973
01-04-08, 22:09
hello again neocron community :P

just kinda curious about connection speed/type as well. right now im connected with a 100mbs connection but its conncted via satilite so its pretty laggy. how do i tell if its too slow for neocron? its been a long time since i had dial-up so im not sure if i can tell if its faster or not. my downloads ussaly run 3-6 kb/sec if the connection isnt freaking out if that helps at all.

anyway havent played for a long time but im a big fan of how neocron has brought the cyberpunk feel to the mmorpg world and would like to play again :)

(btw i have to use this connection cuz im stuck in iraq ;( )

Bob Arctor
01-04-08, 22:45
I used to play Neocron 1 on 56k with no real problems, one of the few situations where low populations are probably a good thing :D

leomaxwell973
01-04-08, 22:54
yes, and i kind of like the low population neocron has presented (why i really dont know, i guess alot of ppl dont like cyberpunkish stuff or need to be pampered by big names by WoW with all the company support... i dont really know but the world doesnt know what its missing)

still i understood from the thread that this game will run on 56k but in a nutshell my question is:

how do i tell if im worse then 56k? XD

naimex
01-04-08, 23:18
i know many people who have played neocron on 56 k, but i wouldnt want to myself.

Riddle
01-04-08, 23:41
I play on a Mobile Phone connection! Yes thats right!

Normally get a ping of 200-300 and can PvP with that, only issue is the connection itself is a little unreliable/drops. leaving me in Synch at the worst time!!

I played on 56k in NC1 also and in fact i tried another well known game on this connection and it blows no chance of even interacting let alone PvP.

So as far as i would say NC is playable then it was coded in an age where these super fast connections didn't even exist;)

leomaxwell973
02-04-08, 00:20
thx for the insight riddle, i hear verizon was doing something where you could do something like that, but i imagine it has less then 100mbs speed obviously. well, on my move down here my comp had some issues, maybe a virus i got that decided to freak it out but i had to wipe my comp so i got to redownload NC again, it will probably take me forever though... i looked for a link or something to buy the game or something but havent seen anything... lol anyone wanna send me a copy? :P

Bob Arctor
02-04-08, 00:40
Pretty sure you can buy NC2 from places like Amazon and Play.com for about 3 quid, that's where I got my copy back in January anyway. Means you have to wait a wee while to get your mitts on it, but also saves you a fair bit of pocket money ;)

leomaxwell973
02-04-08, 00:48
thx, i didnt think it would be sold at such places since i wasnt sure if it actually came with a box and all that good stuff computer games come in. ill go check it out thx for all the info and helps ppl! :D

(p.s. zomfg my download speed spiked at a whoping 10kb/sec!!!)

RAB
02-04-08, 09:59
i got fast internet but while I'm looking for a new PC i'm making do with my laptop, but i'm finding it a little bit laggy. not much but just a bit. enough for characters to dissapear and appear ahead of me and to get a bit of a sticky cursor now and again, esp when there a lot on screen.

i got all detail settings to min and 800x600x16

but i have noticed you have less in game custom detail options than before when i used to play a while back and even with min settings there is still a lot of vegitation etc..
fog distance is shorter that i remember too (set to max) is that on purpose.

is there anything more i can do to speed things up ?
i wouldnt attempt pvp like this. pvm is fine, but pvp i'd be the idiot shooting where you were. lol

zii
02-04-08, 11:55
I played on pluto (as a test) on a GSM 9600 baud for 20 mins once. It was playable for aggie dens but this was all. Lag was very very bad. I was in Chile at the time so latency was 250m/s even on broadband (packets won't travel faster than the speed of light). I did not note the ping at the time.

I would think that a 56k modem would work.

Doc Holliday
02-04-08, 12:02
When my ADSL went tits up not long ago, I had to use a backup 56k dial-up service. ( <3 my ISP for that )

What isp are you on Hoder out of interest? i have suffered immensely with ADSL the last few months and am hopefully finally movin house this weekend and gonna have cable set up. however if it comes to it and we have to move again (you never know if the police read these forums ;) ) then its always handy to know.

Mighty Max
02-04-08, 20:29
I played on pluto (as a test) on a GSM 9600 baud for 20 mins once. It was playable for aggie dens but this was all. Lag was very very bad. I was in Chile at the time so latency was 250m/s even on broadband (packets won't travel faster than the speed of light). I did not note the ping at the time.

My ping with gsm9600 was about 1500-3000ms (cellphone - bluetooth - lappy) very very laggy.
The bandwidth was of no problem tho. (compared the alt+F bandwidth reports with no noticeable change at all)

rob444
02-04-08, 20:59
I remember using the M0 parameter on the modem settings (turns off the dial-up sound), I didn't want to wake the whole house at nights when I had to reconnect to play Neocron ^^

Saiyuki-
03-04-08, 00:55
I did it for like um... 4 years.

Bozz-Von Mel
03-04-08, 16:47
It was mentioned early that having a dial up would actually give you a competitive advantage. Untrue, I played on a sat connection in iraq. 3000 ping was a good day. There were times I thought a spider was going to kill me.

Though unrelated, it actually worked to my benefit in Eve as I was able to avoid gate camps by bouncing 1mil KM off of stargates.

leomaxwell973
09-04-08, 23:51
Bozz-Von Mel, thank you for the info on first hand experince since it is exactly what im going through right now, i double checked and not even guild wars ( which is dial-up capable, or so they say) is not playable what so ever... so im just going to have to stick with console, lan , and 1p games i guess :(

Bozz-Von Mel
10-04-08, 04:08
Bozz-Von Mel, thank you for the info on first hand experince since it is exactly what im going through right now, i double checked and not even guild wars ( which is dial-up capable, or so they say) is not playable what so ever... so im just going to have to stick with console, lan , and 1p games i guess :(

It will all depend on your ISP and how many people are on your network. What killed me was all the *********************s with kazaa and limewire. Late at night it was playable when nobody was on. Otherwise your gonna be limited in what you can do.

Zefrian
10-04-08, 16:57
Just adding my experiences with mobile connectivity:

I got login problems with only a GPRS connectivity. Whereever i get UMTS, i would use it instead of GPRS.