PDA

View Full Version : NC with Notebook + Vista?

Matanius
27-06-07, 03:17
Well despite me asking my Dad to wait till I could find a decent laptop he got impatient and went and bought one anyway (I swear he gets more excitable than my daughter!) tis not all that bad though tbh.

Anyway, It has Vista on it and I'm trying to get NC on it, not to play all the time but mainly as a 'just in case the missus is on the main computer and the Neocrack starts a' callin' sort of thing.

I've downloaded the client and whenever I try to open it the damn thing just gives me that mesmerizing blue swirly thing (instead of the egg timer) and just sits there 'thinking' about it. Nothing else happens.

Answers on a post card please :)

Thanks in advance,
Matan

Matanius
27-06-07, 03:19
LMAO as soon as I post that, it decides to work.

Delete the thread before Cracker spams it! :p

Apocalypsox
27-06-07, 03:24
Cracker? PSH! APOCCATTACK! get ingame nub. Im all loneleh.

silent000
27-06-07, 03:32
CRACKER!

Ha!

Matanius
27-06-07, 03:38
lol, I'm only awake 'cos my son woke up for a feed, but I'll jump on in a sec.

Hmmmm...seems I have another problem now. Client is installed and patches downloaded, but when it tries to patch the client, it starts at 159 and i get this message: 'ERROR: couldn't open: client.exe, possibly write protected patching failed' any sugestions?

Flame Bait
27-06-07, 04:43
Contact your laptop manufacturer and they might swap Vista for XP.

Rob01m
27-06-07, 05:54
The likely reason it seemed to be doing nothing was because Vista was checking the entire client for viruses and such. You can disable that feature in "Windows Defender" I believe.

The other problem sounds like a User Account Control issue, personally I just disable the thing.

In general, I've found Neocron runs better on Vista than XP, but it depends on a few factors.

braydagner
27-06-07, 06:31
Ahhhh!!! Im In A Sig!!!!!!

Apocalypsox
27-06-07, 07:12
Ahhhh!!! Im In A Sig!!!!!!

you where also horribly drunk =p

SorkZmok
27-06-07, 08:46

Hmmmm...seems I have another problem now. Client is installed and patches downloaded, but when it tries to patch the client, it starts at 159 and i get this message: 'ERROR: couldn't open: client.exe, possibly write protected patching failed' any sugestions?
You need to move the neocron folder away from the program files folder. It tries to patch NC, thereby changing files and vista won't let it do that.

Put it into c:\neocron2 and it should patch just fine. At least i think it's how i managed to do it.

Another thing, if it's a new notebook you got with vista and all the notebook software (powersaver, easy connection crap and all that) already installed, here's the first thing to do: Reformat the HD, reinstall Vista, reinstall NC. Then get the newest drivers for everything you can.

I did that and it fixed pretty much all problems i had with NC and Vista. Getting a lot more FPS now and i can run 2 clients at the same time for pretty much everything except for pvp.

pottburter
27-06-07, 09:37

Just right-click the launcher icon and select : Run as Administrator
No need to move anything around.
NC works nice with vista, no issues found since migrating.

rob444
27-06-07, 09:55
Polly wants a CRACKER :(

SorkZmok
27-06-07, 10:19
Polly wants a CRACKER :(
German cartoon but everyone should get the message. :lol:
http://www.nichtlustig.de/comics/full/020302.jpg

Trivaldi
27-06-07, 10:44
Cut the spam please, this thread still has a purpose until Matanius gets NC working under Vista.

Triv

Zefrian
27-06-07, 11:23
Just right-click the launcher icon and select : Run as Administratorsorry, but that's the dirtiest of all possible solutions. :wtf:
I also recommend creating a separate folder like C:\my_games, give it full access for the group your login belongs to, and install every game in it, which wants to write in his own directory.

pottburter
27-06-07, 11:37
sorry, but that's the dirtiest of all possible solutions. :wtf:
I also recommend creating a separate folder like C:\my_games, give it full access for the group your login belongs to, and install every game in it, which wants to write in his own directory.

That's not a dirty solution. It's the solution to go when a program needs administrative privileges (thou i'm not sure if neocron needs them).
How do you suggest to start such a program ?

Mighty Max
27-06-07, 11:45
That's not a dirty solution. It's the solution to go when a program needs administrative privileges (thou i'm not sure if neocron needs them).
How do you suggest to start such a program ?

It doesn't need, and using your method it doesn't even get admin rights.
The client.exe will still start in admin approval mode.

Neocron needs only the right to write in the folder. I am not a fan of Zefrians solution, as that just makes the folder layout a patchwork and ugly. Add the user or groupaccess where it belongs to the actual folder/file that needs to be accessed.

:edit:
On a sidenote. If you really have a program that needs admin rights and you are sure you want to trust it, create a manifest file to your binary. This btw is the reason you shouldn't give a program write access to the folder it is installed into but the subfolder or single files. Otherwise a program can just lift its rights by creating the .manifest by itself.

james_finn
27-06-07, 13:10
Matan, as I have found with Vista, you want at least 2GB of RAM to make vista run properly. Before today in vista I found msn wouldnt work (there was a runtime error because an error call wasnt being caught), adding two GB today has fixed that and now MSN and Teamspeak work properly. Neocron ran well in the RC2 beta however, so as other people have said try compatibility mode and also admin mode.

/Delphi

Matanius
27-06-07, 16:47
Well thanks for all your replies people. I got it working. Just moved the NC folder out of Program files and it just worked.

Thread can be closed now, Thanks again to all that posted :)

EDIT: Sorry I didn't reply any earlier, only just got back from work :p

silent000
27-06-07, 17:15
Cut the spam please, this thread still has a purpose until Matanius gets NC working under Vista.

Triv

I would rele like to see trivaldi post something nice and up-beat all his posts sounds like he is a cyborg of some sort.

Cmon Mr Trivaldi talk to me :(

Zefrian
27-06-07, 17:28
I am not a fan of Zefrians solution, as that just makes the folder layout a patchwork and ugly.
let me state it more precisely:

c:\
+ program files
| + Internet Explorer
| + Accesoirs
| + what-ever
|
+ my_games
| + nc2
| + wow
| + eve_online
| + guildwars
| + what-ever
|
+ windows

I did not mean: Istall all games in *that one only* folder :lol: ... but of course in their subfolders.

rob444
27-06-07, 17:57
I would rele like to see trivaldi post something nice and up-beat all his posts sounds like he is a cyborg of some sort.

We are the copbots, resistance is futile.

Mighty Max
27-06-07, 18:26
I did not mean: Istall all games in *that one only* folder :lol: ... but of course in their subfolders.

I was following you that far ;)

It's just as ugly and dirty as creating a "/home_of_Mightymax" folder instead of using "/home/Mightymax" on a linux machine.

Trivaldi
27-06-07, 23:16

We are the copbots, resistance is futile.
Hmmm.. i like that one ;)

Also, as requested, Thread Closed.

Triv