PDA

View Full Version : Neocron vs Tabula Rasa

Yin
13-06-07, 10:46
A simple question. I am an old player, that quit, not because of all the bugs, e.t.c. but simple because there was nothing to do at final game.

A question is - is it worth giving Neocron a try again, or should i wait for Tabula Rasa, wich in general, seems to be a poor NC clon :lol: , but that hopefuly will be not so buged and possibly would even make FUN.

So, what shell i do?

Nidhogg
13-06-07, 11:02
What annoys me about TR is that the devs are claiming it brings brand new elements to the world of MMORPGs that have never been seen before when it's clear that they just don't know the world of MMORPGs as well as they think they do.

N

Durandal|AI
13-06-07, 11:14
well TR will be a fantastic game, but there wont be any pvp :-/

give nc a try? sure, why not, many things have changed in the last years - but dont expect to much

Brammers
13-06-07, 11:32
Give both a try is what I would say. You mentioned there was nothing to do at the end game? You tried op-fighting or PvP?

What annoys me about TR is that the devs are claiming it brings brand new elements to the world of MMORPGs that have never been seen before when it's clear that they just don't know the world of MMORPGs as well as they think they do.

N

Like to expand on that Nidhogg? Which new elements of TR are they claiming that are new, that you have seen before?

Yin
13-06-07, 11:50
I did both, but for me, as the player who spent years playing a game like Ultima Online, it turned soon into same boring actiong and grinding. When you have all implantants and weapons, made all missions by all factions, driven all vechicles and 100th time sturmed the same outpost - it becomes pointless to log ingame. And i should note, reaching this point didnt took that much time, only about 3 monthes.

In only MMORPG that could chain me for a long time was UO, as an actual gameplay only STARTS when you finished training char etc. In NC endgame was a litteral "end".

By PvP Neocron is second best existing MMORPG. Not by a sistem itself (GW is a leader here), but of freedom to attack and social feedback of fights - they were not a standart "show fight" in special area, but a realistic offence on another person - anytime, anywhere. But NC fights still cant be compared to old good nakedly runing to UO Britains north bridge, geting 10 newbs chasing you, tricking them in an ambush and gathering loot while 10 ghosts blame you it was unfair :angel: By that point NC still looses.

I am quite sure Tabula Rasa will become boring for me quite soon, as i prefer a game i can spend years playing. But after UO, there was no such game, with realistic world and other goals then leveling made. Nearest attempt was NC. But... To list of what things i CAN do in NC, come an infinite of what i would like but cant.

Cant build towns, cant show off with cute clothes, cant simply go fish in a radioactive river, cant drive mechs, cant with a newbie character challenge max leveled profi, cant develop and upgrade world by myself adding own content, cant...

I know, i know. There is no perfect MMORPG. But there are two concepts - a game, and a World. Only games i can see in second are - UO, Neocron and Eve. But NC is too static, too dead and too buged.

Zedy
13-06-07, 11:59
Tabula Rasa looks like NC in many ways, even the armor in some ways (sorry it's so big):
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2007/154/reviews/516716_20070604_screen010.jpg
Me, I will probably do both, since I suck horrendously at NC, it will give me something to do when I am tired of trying to do something other than kill spiders in the sewers (aracnaphobia keeps me out of there) or driving around in the wasteland on my Quad (almost as bad).

aKe`cj
13-06-07, 12:15
:rolleyes: that armor has virtually no visual link to any NC models, besides the fact that it's an armor and has the usual elements, such as metalplates, a helmet and the like

CMaster
13-06-07, 12:36
The corridor behind him reminds me of a UT2k4 CTF map though.

spikeownzu
13-06-07, 12:49
NC is't a really end-game content sort of game

its end-game content is the PVP and OP fighting, thats why the PVP is the main feature of this game, thats what the majority of the playerbase are here for.. not to make themselves look pretty or show off..

grind games are better for them sort of things.. like WoW or Ragnarok online or something, but then these games lack good PVP

BTW, i played UO for countless years and still play and admin a little now, i think its definetly the best mmorpg ever created, but obviously its out-dated now, still entertains me a little though ;)

Nidhogg
13-06-07, 14:31
Like to expand on that Nidhogg? Which new elements of TR are they claiming that are new, that you have seen before?
I had a big reply all made out with quotes and everything then lost my IE window and I can't be bothered to go dig them all out again (you can go look them up yourself if you're interested), but the main points were: The claim they're innovating by replacing the "whack-a-mole" combat aspect of MMORPGs with more of an FPS-style. I'm not saying their combat is exactly like ours (because it isn't) but they are clearly not breaking new ground in this area.
They are claiming that their mobs can fight with each other, even when there are no players around to witness it. Who here hasn't witnessed guards out in the wastelands defending their turf from attacking mobs? I've even seen wolves attacking droms (poor droms :( ). Again, not a new concept.
They claim to be the first game that allows players to control areas and then decide who has transportation rights to those areas.
They claim to have scripted quests that have a feel like a single-player game. I'm not claiming we have such quests but LOTRO certainly does.There are probably others if I looked further.

I don't have a problem with people building on the past, I just get a bit irked when they claim to invent it.

N

CMaster
13-06-07, 14:38
They claim to be the first game that allows players to control areas and then decide who has transportation rights to those areas.

I'm not even a big MMO player and can think of MANY counter-examples to that one. Twigligh War kinda claimed to be inventing the MMORPG/FPS hybrid too, although they had clearly played Neocron (and probably FomK too).

Brammers
13-06-07, 15:06
I don't have a problem with people building on the past, I just get a bit irked when they claim to invent it.

N

I supose that sort of thing comes under the title of MMORPG Marketing. They got to try think of ways to get people to play their game, even if it involves denying that they never ever seen or heard of Neocron. (Or any other MMORPG)

Richard Slade
13-06-07, 16:57
I'll be back with reports in a few hours
*Just broke the NDA hehe*

Dribble Joy
13-06-07, 17:10
Doesn't look very cyber-punky.... so... blarg. DJ will be staying here.

Richard Slade
13-06-07, 17:33
Doesn't look very cyber-punky.... so... blarg. DJ will be staying here.
DJ will ALWAYS stay here if I know the way things go...
Together with Niddy and Brammers...

Serious_Sam
13-06-07, 18:22
Well, i've signed up for Warhammer online beta, so am looking foreward to that. I will wait until these games are out and people have played them before making any set decision.

One game i'm definately looking foreward to is Hellgate:London. Ahhh, the sweet smell of home.

To be perfectly honest, i doubt any game will capture thew essence of NC, so i will always be here.

james_finn
13-06-07, 18:55
One game i'm definately looking foreward to is Hellgate:London. Ahhh, the sweet smell of home.

I'll agree there, Hellgate:London is the one game (oh lets not forget Crysis there) that comes out this summer which may even make me upgrade the main PC to Vista...

Apocalypsox
13-06-07, 19:41
i will never play a game with no PVP. end of story. Whether i suck at it or not (Like i do in NC :D ) i need PVP in a game to entertain me.

Dribble Joy
13-06-07, 19:45
WHO does look interesting, though I'm more looking forward to the 40k version.

How it would work though is somewhat unknown though, as this (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/05) PA strip demonstrates.

Richard Slade
13-06-07, 21:48
i will never play a game with no PVP. end of story. Whether i suck at it or not (Like i do in NC :D ) i need PVP in a game to entertain me.
There won't be any pvp in TR?

nabbl
13-06-07, 22:06
they want to "implement" pvp later on...

but who wants to play a game where pvp is patched?

i want to play a pvp based mmorpg like neocron and AoC

Koshinn
14-06-07, 06:08
Tabula Rasa is boring, I played the closed-beta for a while...

Basically... it's like NC, but a more star-trekish sci-fi than NC's cyber-punk version of sci-fi. So if you like cleanliness, you might like TR (although most of the game takes place in battle fields of some sort). The combat is interesting, I like it a little more than NC actually in that it's slower and easier, but still a shooter. It's also a 3rd person shooter, which is great.

The main problem, besides the bugs (it's in beta of course), is that there is absolutely no PVP. No duels, no arenas, no large scale fights.. nothing. The game is entirely PVE and there is no intention of ever including PVP afaik (maybe nabbl knows more than I do?)

eprodigy
14-06-07, 07:21
i dont understand the concept of mmorpgs without pvp. why pay monthly for a (typically subpar) single player game....

Richard Slade
14-06-07, 07:37
i dont understand the concept of mmorpgs without pvp. why pay monthly for a (typically subpar) single player game....
Not having PvP equals to single play to you?

My god where has the world gone....

General Crazy
14-06-07, 08:11
I haven't played Tabula Rasa but as far as I can tell from reading different sources there is a big lack of PvP and No Tradeskill System, also guessing there is not much of an player economy.

So NC still has the best PvP and Tradeskill System compared to other games.

I just wish it would improve the PvE so it wasn't so "SLOW" for a FPS, problem with NC right now is the population and there tends not to be much to do other then PvE if you are on odd hours when most other players are not. I want to play NC but I don't like how most of my hours of game play I was logging in to see 1% online on Terra. So for me being able to solo alot in a game is a plus.

Dogface
14-06-07, 09:08
Not having PvP equals to single play to you?

My god where has the world gone....

Where has the world gone when people start making games based around violence when you can't kill people?

Necpock
14-06-07, 12:42
Fallen Earth is looking good.

Nidhogg
14-06-07, 15:23
Tabula Rasa is boring, I played the closed-beta for a while...

Basically... it's like NC, but a more star-trekish sci-fi than NC's cyber-punk version of sci-fi. So if you like cleanliness, you might like TR (although most of the game takes place in battle fields of some sort). The combat is interesting, I like it a little more than NC actually in that it's slower and easier, but still a shooter. It's also a 3rd person shooter, which is great.

The main problem, besides the bugs (it's in beta of course), is that there is absolutely no PVP. No duels, no arenas, no large scale fights.. nothing. The game is entirely PVE and there is no intention of ever including PVP afaik (maybe nabbl knows more than I do?)
This post has been reported as a violation of the TR NDA. Had it been a clear breach I would have removed the post as a professional courtesy, however I do not believe there is anything here that cannot be freely discovered in previews or interviews from the developers or otherwise openly provided elsewhere on the net. That does not mean that Reakktor or myself necessarily agree with the content of the message. ;)

N

athon
14-06-07, 15:35
Fallen Earth is looking good.
Yup. If there's any real competition for Neocron in the near future, Fallen Earth is it.

[D]est
14-06-07, 17:53
Tabula Rasa screenshots are looking very nice :)

Richard Slade
14-06-07, 17:54
This post has been reported as a violation of the TR NDA. Had it been a clear breach I would have removed the post as a professional courtesy, however I do not believe there is anything here that cannot be freely discovered in previews or interviews from the developers or otherwise openly provided elsewhere on the net. That does not mean that Reakktor or myself necessarily agree with the content of the message. ;)

N
How far does the NDA reach anyways?
I mean, I've seen pants, lots of pants, in TR..

Yin
15-06-07, 00:07
What can be more refreshing then a standart pathetic subjective flame war :p

http://boards.stratics.com/php-bin/tr/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=6849&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

CMaster
15-06-07, 00:32
Well, somebody could do with straightening them out and explaning that Neocron actually is an RPG at heart, and has FPS-like combat, rather than actual FPS combat.
Also, got to admire a forum moderator for wanting to go start a flame war on a different forums... (and I thought Niddy could be unprofessional...)
Still, some of what they said certainly had validity.

CMaster
15-06-07, 02:13
Hmm, strike the quote about professionalism (at least to some degree) I realise on second look that it is in no way an offical TR forum.

Yin
15-06-07, 09:37
I doubt there is yet open "official" forums for TR. So the stratics come nearest to it as TR staff visits it and give announcements.

[D]est
15-06-07, 13:44
There are trailers of TR at gametrailers.com, it's not so interresting after all.

Nidhogg
15-06-07, 20:23
For any TRers reading this - don't be thinking that we're disrespecting a certain Mr. Garriott. Hell, we have a chain of diners named after the guy! ;)

Garriott's down in Via Rosso sector 3 used to be one of my favourite haunts, where I could keep a close eye on the NCPD HQ. Shame it got blown to shit that time. :(

N

Rob01m
15-06-07, 20:55
For any TRers reading this - don't be thinking that we're disrespecting a certain Mr. Garriott. Hell, we have a chain of diners named after the guy! ;)

Garriott's down in Via Rosso sector 3 used to be one of my favourite haunts, where I could keep a close eye on the NCPD HQ. Shame it got blown to shit that time. :(

N

Now you're going to have to pay royalties! :p

Nidhogg
15-06-07, 21:05
Now you're going to have to pay royalties! :p
Yeah, I'll probably get into a world of trouble for that statement. *ahem* can I say for the record that this is just my own personal viewpoint and should not be taken as an official statement of Reakktor Media GmbH. I was not involved with Neocron when the diners were first built and am merely making the assumption that there is a link between them and the MMORPG dude of the same name.

N

Apocalypsox
15-06-07, 21:37
i thought it was kinda funny :angel: :D

Richard Slade
15-06-07, 22:15
Yeah, I'll probably get into a world of trouble for that statement. *ahem* can I say for the record that this is just my own personal viewpoint and should not be taken as an official statement of Reakktor Media GmbH. I was not involved with Neocron when the diners were first built and am merely making the assumption that there is a link between them and the MMORPG dude of the same name.

N
Thanks for not being too obvious on the cover up there..
I'm sure your ability to communicate with the developers of KK is as limited as ours.. :rolleyes:

Also, I thought ALL statements made by any official representative of KK was to be considered official? :angel:

I'll be over there --> so you don't ban me....

Jaeon
26-12-07, 14:00
No game will ever come close to NC.

I just wish NC would evolve its engine and had a bigger dev team to fix those damn bugs and remove the syncs.

But the core of the game, 20/20.

Anthax
26-12-07, 14:29
TR sucks anyway, it's not better than WoW style combat and the rest of the game is a lot worse too :o

Richard Slade
26-12-07, 14:39
Under 50 posts and you had to do this....

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a54/DizzyGuy/threadnecro5cp.jpg

DrRisk
26-12-07, 15:00
i will never play a game with no PVP. end of story. Whether i suck at it or not (Like i do in NC :D ) i need PVP in a game to entertain me.it has guild fights at the minute im sure there will be more when the game is actually finished (not much to do non-pvp wise at 50 ATM)

EDIT: U MADE ME NECROPOSTED

Lodar
26-12-07, 16:13
I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me reading this. Please don't bump old threads, it only confuses people. Especially hungover CopBots. ;)

Thread closed.

PS: Start a new thread about TR if you feel a discussion is necessary.