PDA

View Full Version : [OT] DJ 1 - Sainsbury's 0

Dribble Joy
31-05-07, 20:43
So I bimble off to Sainsbury's for some milk and other items of scoff that one generally requires in order to not starve.

During my usual wanderings through the store I pass the reduced section.

Normally the degree by which things are reduced is... less than fantastic, about 10% or something.
However...

When it comes to the day things are going to expire, they reduce them a second time, usually to obscene prices, about 20% or less of the original cost.

Sainsbury's man was there, doing so, and we hovered about waiting for him to reduce the things we wanted.

What I was interested in was some pizzas.
These particular ones normally went for £3.35, since they were posh and yummeh. What was crutial was that they were also on offer at the time. Two for £5.
The way I knew that the tills worked meant I was in for a bargain....

Here's a copy of the transaction....

Whole Milk 1.15
Pork Cassoulet 0.59 (3.99)
Lamb in a Pot 0.49 (3.29)
Margherita 0.59 (3.35)
American 8" 1.59 (3.85)
Multibuy -2.70
American 8" 1.59 (3.85)
Sloppy Guiseppe 0.59 (3.85)
Multibuy -2.70
Margherita 0.59 (3.35)
Margherita 0.59 (3.35)
Multibuy -2.70
Beef Cannelloni 0.49 (2.59)

Total savings 8.10
Balance due 0.16

Note that if I hadn't bought the last item, they would have had to pay me to take things away.

I am a happy DJ.

silent000
31-05-07, 20:52
LOL you clever chap ^^ ill look out for this!

Dogface
31-05-07, 21:19
Yup, some woman tactically did this in waitrose the other day.

We reduce most shit to 30p, but there was some jersey royals going for a deal of buy two save £2.50 or something like that.

This woman buys soo many packs, knowing full well we have to give her money out the til for every two packs she buys. We ended up having to give her money so she still saves money. It covered the cost of her shopping (which consists of 100% reduced 30p items, every time she shops) and she walks out the shop with a free basket of shopping and profit...

ashley watts
31-05-07, 21:20
I am a happy DJ.

And a very clever one :p

Matanius
31-05-07, 21:33
LOL, if I was to make a score of me vs Sainsbury's, it would be something like like Me - 5,000 Sainsbury's - 0.

I used to be an 'assistant manager' of sorts on the BWS department, I had access to the reduction labels......need I say more?

Clever thinking though DJ, most people aren't that clever :p. Kepp it up, stick it to 'the man'! :lol:

Apocalypsox
31-05-07, 23:57
Lmfao Go Dj!!! I Would Have Made Em Pay Me Just To Laugh My Ass Off!

Rofl!!!

i gotta see what nid says about this one

unreal
01-06-07, 00:13
I usually go shopping at the end of the day to buy tonnes of fresh bread (onion bread == winner) the supermarket makes. Nearly all of what's on sale but didn't get sold gets reduced to 10p because they want to get rid of it. Not bad buying bread that's still absolutely fresh but costs 10p instead of £1.50 (in the case of the onion breads I usually buy) or more.

Beside the mass waste/pollution being created from all the plasticy packing being used to contain 95% of everything being sold, I'm curious as to how much food that doesn't get sold in a supermarket gets binned. Most things are still eatable past the so called sell-by date. Especially packets of crisps and other such things. They should save all that up and fly it to Africa, or I guess you cuold give them to homeless people here in our country (would save on the shipping costs I guess). Not the best diet in the world but it's still something to eat.

My nextdoor neighbour buys anything and everything when it's on offer, anything that's BOGOF (buy one get one free :p), etc. Her kitchen worktop and cupboards is just one big mountain, and she continues buying food and other stuff which never gets used. So when she comes round to eventually clearing everything out, she's like "you want some stuff out of the kitchen?" and the sell-by dates are laughable. Couple of months ago she found a tin of Heinz baked beans from 1996, heh. But anyway, she brought some crisps/pringles/stuff round a while ago and they were like 5 months out of date. Out of curiosity I opened the pringles and tried one, and they were perfectly fine, same for nearly everything else that was sealed up. Most of the sell-by dates are just rubbish, and I wonder how much is wasted because of it. :p

silent000
01-06-07, 01:05
i gotta see what nid says about this one

He will probably call us all noobs and asses and to go and buy proper food and not reduced..... :angel:

Matanius
01-06-07, 01:37
I'm curious as to how much food that doesn't get sold in a supermarket gets binned.

Well to give you an idea I used to work at a 'medium' sized store and our wastage was anything between 5k-10k a week, normally averaging somewhere between those figures.

=REMUS=
01-06-07, 03:19
Tescos ********** me :(
My local one is the most expensive in the country :wtf:

Dribble Joy
01-06-07, 03:48
I'm curious as to how much food that doesn't get sold in a supermarket gets binned. Most things are still eatable past the so called sell-by date. Especially packets of crisps and other such things. They should save all that up and fly it to Africa, or I guess you cuold give them to homeless people here in our country (would save on the shipping costs I guess). Not the best diet in the world but it's still something to eat.
Legally they canot sell stuff that's past the sell by date, even if it's still edible. The army has to ditch load of rat-bags (lunches with sausages rolls and fruit and stuff) everyday.

What they are doing these days is as you suggested, taking it to soup kitchens and other shelters. It's still fresh, most of it's reasonably healthy and it would be chucked in an incinerator or they'd have to pay to have it disposed of.

Well to give you an idea I used to work at a 'medium' sized store and our wastage was anything between 5k-10k a week, normally averaging somewhere between those figures.

Tescos I used to work in had a weekly turn over of 1.1 million (over 2 million over crimbo), so though it's a lot, it's not a massive dent. Distribution management does wonders to minimise it anyway.

I hated that job. I was a 'Customer Service Assistant', which basically meant Bag Packer.
I was there during my A-levels, but it was horrifically dull.

Eventually half way through a shift I though, 'Fuck this...' and walked out, never to return.

Serious_Sam
01-06-07, 16:24
I'm in the US now, so everything is so genetically modified they could have been sitting there for a week and i wouldn't know.

Mr Kot
01-06-07, 23:04
Legally they canot sell stuff that's past the sell by date, even if it's still edible. Tell that to my local Netto.. (no i don't normally shop there but they sometimes sell 70cl bottles of Jack Daniels for £13.99 - ftw)

I looked at getting some muffins while i was there as i love making eggs benedict on a sunday. They were dated the day before and weren't even reduced. I returned a couple of days ago to check out the gammon steaks which i hear are good value and found the top one to be dated the 19th May :wtf:

Brammers
01-06-07, 23:48
I did a small weekly shop around to Sainsbury's. First stop was the discounted section, to see if DJ's Multibuy exploit works.

Luck was in, a pile of Americano's at £1.90 each down from £3.85. So that's £3.80 in total for 2. Since it's a 2 for £5 offer, the till knocks off £2.70. So thats £1.10 for 2 dam nice pizza's.

Nice one DJ. ;)

@KK - Any chance you could implement this sort of exploit in NC please? :D

Hoder
02-06-07, 16:41
First stop was the discounted section, to see if DJ's Multibuy exploit works.

@KK - Any chance you could implement this sort of exploit in NC please? :DIf you think i'm gonna stand in Techhaven with my labelling tool marking down all the medicare drugs on their expiry date while runners like you and DJ crowd around me like vultures, you can kiss my [edited]

:p

zii
04-06-07, 14:59
American 8" 1.59 (3.85)

quite cheap for a dong

Zheo
10-06-07, 08:28
That's a great story I love it when people do that, When I reduce I make sure I take offers into account, sometimes the checkout manager comes and says I've done it wrong until I explain six different ways how I am right... then they go red faced and walk off.

On a funnier note, my brother once brought some memory online he didn't really need it but the guy that sorted the prices out miss placed the . and instead of being £135.99 It was £13.59, they company had to issue a statement say it could not possibly fill the orders at that price (being that some people ordered 100's) But agreed to give each customer two chips at the discounted price, total saveing: £244.79

Yup, some woman tactically did this in waitrose the other day.

Dear god we work for the same company!

If you think i'm gonna stand in Techhaven with my labelling tool marking down all the medicare drugs on their expiry date while runners like you and DJ crowd around me like vultures, you can kiss my [edited]

:p

Hoder you know very well that SoKuKo loves you and we'd all kiss your [edited] any time!