PDA

View Full Version : wtf??? M$ innovates???

jini
30-05-07, 09:56
M$ innovates, or just a glimpse/copy of minority report. Iphone too, fits somewhere in all this, but personally I simply fail to understand the need of "multi" in multitouch screens?
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/industry/4217348.html

I liked the super duper "secret" comment in that video lol :p

Brammers
30-05-07, 10:19
Pretty dam impressive. It's more of a groupware tool, than a tool for an individual.

Imagine using one of those for a op-fight. :p

jini
30-05-07, 10:38
It's bullshit bramms... The mouse interface is 1000x better than this. Recently I saw a gfx pro, a friend of mine using a wacom tablet and that special stylous these use, while completelly substituting his mouse. So I asked how did he do it? He said at first it was seemed impossible but later after some time using it he said it was a lot better than using a mouse.

Anyway, the thing with these multitouch displays which i fail to see their usability is, that us humans use to work single handed. If you notice how you work for example, you only use one hand to do the actual job. You dont use 2 hands to write for example, neither do you use 2 hands to screw screws...

Mighty Max
30-05-07, 10:53
that us humans use to work single handed

Erm NO!
Two hand working is far more efficient then one hand.

Just take the writing on the keyboard. 10-finger system is by far superiour to "one-finger-seek-system" Or your other example the screwdriver is handled much healthier (and you will notice on the end of the day if you have to work with them) if you use your second hand to hold the screwdriver while you return the actual screwing hand to the starting position for just another rotation.

There is a leading hand, yes, but watch yourself how often you use both hands. The hands are not out of reason one of the most expensive things for your insurance if you lose one by accident

And yes, it is a much more natural thing to use both hand to rotate or scale things on the screen.

Brammers
30-05-07, 10:59
AsI type my reply to you, I've just noticed I'm using 2 hands to type with! :p Also I'm sure if you use this touchscreen after several hours, you may say it's better than a mouse.

Anyway, Microsoft or Apple wasn't first with this sort of thing. I remember a German university doing some heavy research into this sort of thing several years ago.

Mighty Max
30-05-07, 11:03
Anyway, Microsoft or Apple wasn't first with this sort of thing. I remember a German university doing some heavy research into this sort of thing several years ago.

I was doing some Nintendo DS developing some time ago, and even the DS is capable of that. There are even some (homebrew)games build sololey around that feature (i.e. where a rubber band between two fingers catch and return a ball to the opponent) The precision however drops on the used method.

jini
30-05-07, 11:32
you are typing using two hands, because you are forced to use a stupid keyboard which was developed to suit mechanical limitations of the first mechanical typewriters! If you think you can work two handed, try writing :p. think of a sentence, get 2 pencils, start writing from both ends and see if you can still do it :p
I can also bet that you are right handed, and that you always, but always use that hand to screw or hammer a nail, or whatever. Of course we use our left hand, there is no question about it. it would be dumb not to. But it has way less importance than our main hand.
We urgently need a qwerty keyboard replacement too, but not that thing. Besides if you see what this guy does, all he does is rotating and zooming pics... big deal. Tell him to wriite stuff and see how he does that :p

Brammers
30-05-07, 11:43
He would pick up a pen (Stylus) and write on the table.

Mighty Max
30-05-07, 11:51
The other way around.
You are forced to write with one hand using a pencil. As the output is one continous stream that does not support intermixing of two hands. And that i can't write two different streams efficiently at one time is rather a problem of my limited brain capacity then the usage of both hands.

It's only a training issue there. Two hands are allways more efficient then one unless you are missing the tiniest bit of DEX.

The goal is to make human device interfaces more intuitive and tbh when you watch a little kid. how do they represent scaling? Yes they move their both hands into a distance to each other. They don't simulate a slider bar or a mousewheel to show the size.

-=BaReLy=-
30-05-07, 12:03
Jini got get me one i wanna pvp wid it :D

i used to have 1 of those when i was born but i think i lost it :angel:

CMaster
30-05-07, 12:18
Saw a video ages ago for a multi-touch interface - that one was supposedly by Apple in fact, although the video iteself only mentioned a german univeristy and research councils, not Apple. Still, the whole multi-touch tech isn't new. The interface behind it is pretty nifty mind, although it must take a fair whack of computing power, and most people don't have wifi cameras yet.

StevenJ
30-05-07, 12:52
One of the main thrusts of ubiquitous computing is to bring the computer out into our world, so interactions become so natural that you don't realise you're using a computer - for example, if someone's writing a letter nobody answers "I'm using a pen" when asked what they're doing, they answer "I'm writing a letter", whereas most people still regard "using a computer" as a task in itself. Using a mouse and keyboard whilst sat at a desk isn't a natural interaction, it's making the user fit the computer.

I had just this discussion with a guy named Hans Gellersen (who is a developer of things like this) not two months ago, asking him if there was a purpose to it, or are people just playing around. There's a lot of work going on to see just how far this can be pushed - In general the objective isn't to produce a table that can flip through photographs, the objective is to provide developers and innovators with tools and prototypes to examine how richer interaction can be developed further. It's as much psychological as technological.

You want to see excessive techology, look up the coffee cup that broadcasts whether or not it's in use so colleagues can tell whether or not it's a good time to pop in and visit people...

/Edit

The whole "New paradigm" stuff is hype though, and I don't know that we'll see many of these anytime in the next 6 months :p

rob444
30-05-07, 13:04
Deja vu... I've seen that kind of interaction with screens before but it wasn't Microsoft behind that one. Almost exactly the same stuff as well where you could expand, move, rotate etc...

Nothing "new" really.

It's a nice feature but why the hell won't they work on the performance :p

Zefrian
30-05-07, 14:24
[...] but why the hell won't they work on the performance :p... because the next generation of computers have much more RAM and more CPU power than todays ones. ;)

jini
30-05-07, 16:21
For me, the best interface is speech recognition.
I can't even imagine myself standing still like these guys do on that video. doing some sort of hitech "graffitti".
Give it time and as speech recog advances, it will help us immensely with the interaction environment. My E70 nokia phone comes with speech recognition as far as contacts go. All i do is pressing a button, say the contact and the contact pops up. If they can do it in a simple phone, they can most certainly do it in a computer. And, before someone says: hey this is not speech recog! its just recorded sounds which you train the phone. No! its pure voice recognition. There is NO trainging involved

ashley watts
30-05-07, 16:50
Woh, feckin awsome

Mighty Max
30-05-07, 17:25
For me, the best interface is speech recognition.
I can't even imagine myself standing still like these guys do on that video. doing some sort of hitech "graffitti".
Give it time and as speech recog advances, it will help us immensely with the interaction environment. My E70 nokia phone comes with speech recognition as far as contacts go. All i do is pressing a button, say the contact and the contact pops up. If they can do it in a simple phone, they can most certainly do it in a computer. And, before someone says: hey this is not speech recog! its just recorded sounds which you train the phone. No! its pure voice recognition. There is NO trainging involved

Speech as an input method is ok.
Yet it is very slow for a lot of things. I wouldn't ever want to try and edit an image by voice commands. The optimal way would be to include all senses instead of concentrating to one or few.

The phone voice recognition btw has a very big advantage (and is therefor MUCH MUCH easier). The word-phonem-tree is very small. Unlike systems that include whole dictionaries with hundred of thousands of words, it is pretty easy to navigate through some hundret nodes. Esapcially if you keep in mind that on top of the pure mass that comes with more words the errorlevel has to be kept lower, as the average difference between the words (thus the acceptable errordistance) is obviosly smaller.

jini
30-05-07, 18:39
It's all about how jiniously you design your interface actually :p
Communicating using speach is very easy and comes naturally for us, humans. The keyboard for char input is fast, because its easier to press just a single key than painting letters. But speech is also faster than typing using an ackward keyboard. Once I tried learning touch typing, but I failed after many efforts :p
The mouse is also a very robust interface and very succesfull, since its conception in Xerox Labs.
But this thing, well I dunno I guess we will have to see but I'm not convinced