PDA

View Full Version : I've been away for a couple of years

Miss Naughty
27-05-07, 22:25
So I thought I'd come back and see how the game has improved. After playing a few other mmo games I was getting a little nostalgic for Neocron. I knew I shouldn't have, after reading the forums before jumping back in it still seemed to be full of bugs and devoid of any new substansial content - but hey it was a quiet weekend and I was bored.

It started off well, I manage to recover my account without any trouble at all, despite not being able to remember my old password. The patching was suprisingly quick and painless - something some other big mmorpgs do really badly.

So I jump into the game and it looks and sounds suprisingly familiar. Still the same slightly shoddy front end and that dreadful interface (why hasn't it been changed yet?). I found that my mouse needed inverting so I had to quit the game and go to the front end menu and change it. I know you can probably change it from a command line command but I've been away for so long I can't remember what it is.

So after fumbling around the interface for a good half hour I look at all my old equipment and wonder why nothing is working. It seems that the stats of everything changed some while back. I wanted to ask someone about this but I couldn't find the help channel.

So after assigning all my skill points again I wander out into the DoY. Its the same still, empty and horrendously designed.

After getting really frustrated with wandering around DoY I go to the wastelands to fight something. I have no money so I thought I'd better kill something. Warbots, they are easy I remember killing them. Yep I'm shooting it and its shooting back, it doesn't seem to hurt that much. Ouch that hurt, I'm dead.

I forgot how your health doesn't actually update properly with the server. Also how the game is really poor at giving you feedback on what the mobs are doing.

So I'm back in my apartment, I have no money and all my implants have fallen out. I need to find a vendor to sell stuff to. I wander around for another hour before finding a vendor that will actually buy junk. By this point I am seriously bored. But I thought I'd persist and get poked with my new found wealth of 1,381 credits. I get poked but some ammo and decide to find something easier to kill. I head into a techy looking dungeon and start shooting some turrets. They seem to be going down quite quickly and not actually shooting back. And then it happens again, I'm dead without any warning or feedback. Did the turret kill me? No idea.

So I'm back in my apartment - I look to see what the damage is. One implant out and some broken pants. Also my weapon is missing, the one that was in the supposed safe slot (1) even though I have 68 soul light.

So there I am in my apartment, no money, no weps and no more will power to play. I had hoped the game would have improved significantly over the two years I was away - however it only seems to have got worse. The graphics and sound even seem to have got worse (or am I wearing rose tinted goggles?)

The days of NC1 were the best, full of promise of what could have been a great game. Shame the basics of the game were so poorly maintained and nothing ever really got fixed. And yes it still fatals *sigh*.

I might try and play again tomorrow, but I suspect I would have to be seriously bored. I wouldn't normally whinge, but I payed 9.99euros to reactivate my account and now I'm feeling slightly bitter about it.

The mmo market is growing, if kk want more customers they really need to improve the player experience. Fix the ugly interface for a start, the nc1 interface was far superior. Anyway, adios all, keep the faith lol!

gamefreak
27-05-07, 23:06
Yes, that s right.
However, you can now atleast change the interface:
http://forum.neocron.com/forumdisplay.php?f=174

I recommend you this one:
http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=139685

unreal
27-05-07, 23:09
Sad to hear, but unfortunately it's increasingly common. Apart from the same old smaller bugs being around, the "balancing" 2.2 brought made PvE considerably more difficult for solo runners (most mobs pretty much instagib you in fact - as a Spy this certainly includes the 100/100 Juggernaughts, Grim Chasers, Grim Persecutors, and most other high level mobs if there's a little group of them) and unless you want to level tediously on these mobs that don't give much reward, a PPU is now a requirement for almost everything. Including PvP now that half the weapons are in fact overpowering - or you can just zone whore across Pepper Park 1 like the rest. Unless you enjoy zone whoring for "PvP" and are able to have a PPU hump you for either levelling or PvP, it makes for a dismal experience. Even a handful of small setting tweaks could make a vast improvement. Things should be fun as well as balanced, at the moment I personally don't think it's either.
Ouch that hurt, I'm dead.
I might try and play again tomorrow, but I suspect I would have to be seriously bored. I wouldn't normally whinge, but I payed 9.99euros to reactivate my account and now I'm feeling slightly bitter about it.

The mmo market is growing, if kk want more customers they really need to improve the player experience. Fix the ugly interface for a start, the nc1 interface was far superior. Anyway, adios all, keep the faith lol!I challenged (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?p=2083219) Reakktor to play the game with the changes they've made for 2.2 instead of testing (if at all) smaller pieces of the big picture once in a while. Hopefully you'll have another go before getting completely fed up with the game, and give a bit more feedback on why you don't want to continue playing Neocron. If more people like yourselves gave the same opinions Reakktor might listen. People like me repeating ourselves over and over doesn't seem to do the trick.

PS. Yeah, HUD/RPOS modifications are now legal to a certain extent (see the links he posted), but you can't distribute/link to them publically over the forum without getting them checked over and approved by officials.

Hell-demon
28-05-07, 13:04
You feeling naughty Miss naughty?

Back off she's mine!

Miss Naughty
28-05-07, 13:26
Thanks game freak and unreal. I'll try a custom interface and see how I get on.

Hell-demon: I'm only naughty when you ask me :angel:

Hell-demon
28-05-07, 14:21
Ok.

Post pics of yourself naked holding a piece of paper reading: I love Niddy

:rolleyes:

unreal
28-05-07, 14:32
Are you Miss December then by any chance, and if so, what rank/class are you? :p

Miss Naughty
28-05-07, 15:31
No I'm not Miss December. I've been playing my pistol spy Miffy rank 64/56.

Skusty
28-05-07, 15:43
The name Miffy rings a bell for some reason. :wtf:

rob444
28-05-07, 21:30
The name Miffy rings a bell for some reason. :wtf:

Yeah, you are a swede, that name sounds like "miffo" and I think you know what that means :D

nobby
29-05-07, 00:52
God...

Be it only I, who knows and loves Miffy ?

http://www.zaiton.nl/webshop/images/boeken_kind/nijntje_orkest.jpg

Matanius
29-05-07, 01:36
God...

Be it only I, who knows and loves Miffy ?

WTF?! I thought everyone knew who that odd rabbit was?! It's in the window of almost every shop down the lanes in Brighton! lol

Dribble Joy
29-05-07, 02:08
I like DoY, it's a propper labrynth.