PDA

View Full Version : Yo Chummers! Fresh meat for the grinder here.

Flipshot
14-05-07, 17:40
First off, I like to say this seems to be a great game with many intuitive ideas and awsome game play design with the FPS RPG rolled into one. That aside, it needs way more advertisement. For a game that has been running since 2002, why is it I've only heard of it recently on another games off topic forum.

Well, the good thing is that I did find this game and being a Cyberpunk / Shadowrun fan, I am instantly hooked. :lol:

Now to the point. I have a few questions.

I) Does weaponlore count with melee?
Ia) If so, Tanks a given the short end of the stick with low Int making them poor Beserkers or am I missing something?

II) I've found a few quests online with guides and what not, but they seem to be rather high levelish (if you can call a skill based game levels. ;) ), So my question is what other types of missions, quests are avalible and how to I find them?

That's about all I need for now. I've had some help ingame and seem to be getting by. This game has a rather steep learning curve, but I've managed to fumble my way through.

On a side note, pistols suck. They have such a slow rate of fire making it rather unrealistic and useless. Further more, a punch is faster than a swinging knife, so why is it that when using brassknuckles I have a slower attack than when I use a knife? Does make since to me.
Well, that's my only rant for now.

See ja around chummers and don't get ja selfs fragged.

elGringo
14-05-07, 18:10
First of all, welcome onboard :)

Secondly... melee in general, is tough. You cant outrange enemies, nor can you make use of shelter thats provided by the environment. I'd advice you to go pick up some dirt and taste it... if it appeals to you, go for melee - you'll get to eat it.. like.. a lot. :D

mid-high lvl Pistols are not slow btw... insane frequency

Dribble Joy
14-05-07, 18:35
Weaponlore is integral to pistols, rifles, melee and heavy weapons. It affects pistol frequency quite a bit (as well as aiming, damage and range).

If you're going full combat, then a pistoler will need as much of it as you can or want to spare. High tech pistols also need tech combat which affects frequency too.

As for quests, there admitedly not many at lower level. There pretty much only the Mr Jones mission at the start and the beginning of your faction's 'epic' run.

Anyway, welcome indeed, and if you need any help, just ask here or use the Help channel ingame (Hypercom - Custom - scroll down to the bottom).

CMaster
14-05-07, 18:49
Don't make the common mistake - levelling in this game is not about missions/quests. The XP they provided is fractional. It's about getting stuff done. In the case of combat classes, this means killing things. If you can grab a mission from the citycom to kill whatever it is you are hunting anyway, go ahead - but don't go out of your way.

Tanks make the best melee characters - strength and MC is more important than WEP.

To explain why you are swinging slower with brass knuckles than punching:
Its effected by your skills. As you use higher level weapons, its harder for you to use them - you need more skill to ge the same frequency and damage % out of them as you would a lower one.

Oh, and see my sig? Links to the THN (http://www.techhaven.org). Make friends with this site. At some point after I finish uni (may 23rd is last exam) I'll get around to updating it for 2.2, but it is still useful.

Zheo
14-05-07, 18:58
Not sure why normal Alt-H fist is so fast but

Other weapons damage, freqency, handling and range all depend on your skills.

And not just Melee Combat + Weapon lore.

Tech Combat, Agility, Endurance etc etc look here (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=136817)for more information about what influences what. Just some tips;

If it says 20% that means every five skill levels = 1 point closer to the cap. (though caps are removed their are soft caps) But it means you need to spec more points in it to have the same effect as something that gives say 60% in the same area.

EG: Damage 20% Weapon Lore 60% Melee Combat would mean if you spec'd

25 points in melee combat you'd get 15% closer to the soft cap (in thoery) but this would be 150 Points in weapon lore.

Note: this is guess work and not accurate :p but it gives you an idea!

Flipshot
14-05-07, 22:33
Cool deal, good stuff here. I put Tech Haven in my favorites.

So far I've messed with a Tank Street Sam. Melee is by far the easiest to target with. I put a few points in H-C so I can lob grenades I as I close the range gap. Working nicely thus far. Versitily on the Tank is zero I'm afraid, he will be nothing but a combat monster.

Second Char I've messed with is a PE Soldier. Now I've done something a bit different with this char as I made him a Rifle / Heavy weapons guy. He does well, though targeting can be a bitch at times with small critters or mobs running through terrian objects. Lobbing grenades on multiples or sniping singles from range is nice. Ammo and Health are the draw backs. For some reason I took more damage as a ranged fighter than I did as a Meleer (is that a word). Ammo becomes heavy if you carry too much, but if you don't have enough you are hurting.

Third I made an PE Infiltrator hated the pistol fire rate and gave up on it. I mostly just didn't feel I knew enough about this profession to run with it, so I dumped it.

Lastly, I made a Psy-Monk Inquisitor. Having tons of fun with this guy, speced a few points in PPU to get a Heal and using Fireball he is leveling like the wind blows. Money and the fact I cant find were to buy anymore techno-spells is his only down fall right now. From what I'm hearing, I may have not wanted to go NC CityAdmin and most of my mid to highlevel gear is in DoY.

All in all, having fun learning the game.

CMaster
14-05-07, 22:47
Cool deal, good stuff here. I put Tech Haven in my favorites.

So far I've messed with a Tank Street Sam. Melee is by far the easiest to target with. I put a few points in H-C so I can lob grenades I as I close the range gap. Working nicely thus far. Versitily on the Tank is zero I'm afraid, he will be nothing but a combat monster.

Second Char I've messed with is a PE Soldier. Now I've done something a bit different with this char as I made him a Rifle / Heavy weapons guy. He does well, though targeting can be a bitch at times with small critters or mobs running through terrian objects. Lobbing grenades on multiples or sniping singles from range is nice. Ammo and Health are the draw backs. For some reason I took more damage as a ranged fighter than I did as a Meleer (is that a word). Ammo becomes heavy if you carry too much, but if you don't have enough you are hurting.

Third I made an PE Infiltrator hated the pistol fire rate and gave up on it. I mostly just didn't feel I knew enough about this profession to run with it, so I dumped it.

Lastly, I made a Psy-Monk Inquisitor. Having tons of fun with this guy, speced a few points in PPU to get a Heal and using Fireball he is leveling like the wind blows. Money and the fact I cant find were to buy anymore techno-spells is his only down fall right now. From what I'm hearing, I may have not wanted to go NC CityAdmin and most of my mid to highlevel gear is in DoY.

All in all, having fun learning the game.

PP3 for buying psispells. 9 Smugglers in 3 rooms.
HC PE (soldier) isnt very good atm. Use rifles or pistols on PE, they get better after the first few levels.

Dribble Joy
14-05-07, 22:49
There are psi vendors in Pepper Park sector 3, look about in the boarded up shops for better spells.

You will need to get hold of someone with either access to blue prints (BPs) of higher level spells or someone who can travel to DoY to get you some.

One place to go for most non-NC items is Tech Haven, either walk there yourself (which will take a while and can be hazardous if you don't know what to expect) or get a lift off someone with a vehicle. Tag the GR there as it's a good place to go for tradeskilling stuff.

nellus
15-05-07, 07:37
A good idea is to put some points into recycle aswell, just enough so that you can clone the ammo you are using from ther junk you loot out of the mobs you kill, means you don't have to carry so much.

To recycle you need a recycle device with a tl=>the item you want to clone put it iun the first slot of your processor F7 then put one piece of what you want to clone and fill the rest of the processor with junk then press start and hey presto more drugs/ammo/boosters

The higher the tl of the item the more junk you will need to clone it or the higher level junk, basicly the higher level the mob the better the junk is for recycling. Some junk can't be recycled though. A quick tip is to sell different types of junk to a YO's shop the more money he gives you for the item the better it is for recycling.

Also don't forget to spec a few points in transport under strength, allows you to carry more.

Apocalypsox
15-05-07, 07:45
Heh...I think i like you kid. Gimme your names ingame and ill see about throwing a few hundred K your way to get ya goin. I suggest some of yall throw in some cash or somethin to help too *Kicks a couple of the old vets that i KNOW have plenty of cash to throw around*

Napalm82
15-05-07, 09:50
But im poor Apoc! :D

Anyways, welcome to the game, i also have a few tips.

You've been saying how some weapons do not meet your expectations, just to be clear, did you buy them from a vendore (NPC) or from a player?

playermade weapons are LOADS better than any NPC weapons (Barred Drones and PSI spells since they come in "Better" quality) as the owner of GunRunners INC. i can easily throw some well made weapons your way free of charge so you can see that not all guns are as bad as one might think ;)

Anyways, as Apoc said, drop your char name(s) here and maybe when your playing (As in timezone etc.) and we'll catch you online and throw so much at you, you'll be begging us to take some of it back :D

Glad your enjoying the game and see ya around.

- Napalm

CMaster
15-05-07, 12:14
Heh...I think i like you kid. Gimme your names ingame and ill see about throwing a few hundred K your way to get ya goin. I suggest some of yall throw in some cash or somethin to help too *Kicks a couple of the old vets that i KNOW have plenty of cash to throw around*

I never hand over cash to newbies, especially not those that ask for it, and I frown in the directon of those that do. I will throw them items mind if I have something useful, and occasionally when bored guide and guard them to some location hey need.

William Antrim
15-05-07, 12:25
I dunno I dont see it as a bad thing to hand over 20k or something to buy them a weapon or some medkits/basic armour or something. It will get spent in no time obviously but for the few minutes that it helps it encourages them to branch out on their own.

I try to help newbs all the time but patience isnt always my strongest suit.

SorkZmok
15-05-07, 12:38
Same here, as soon as they start asking for money and shit, i'm gone.

But a polite noob who's just asking for general help usually gets a tip from me or free items when i can find anything useful.

Dogface
15-05-07, 13:59
Heh...I think i like you kid.

Same, when he's capped he sounds like TERRArist material if he's got some aim :p

Kazuya
15-05-07, 14:10
Same, when he's capped he sounds like TERRArist material if he's got some aim :p
Terrarist is dead tho

Dogface
15-05-07, 14:42
Only because our leader is a nob though :p

Kazuya
15-05-07, 14:44
Only because our leader is a nob though :p
Im sure pabz moved to a better game ;P I think he plays gw now or soming. About time as well tbh

Flipshot
15-05-07, 14:59
Thanks all for the responses and though I appriciate the offers, I cant accept hand outs. Besides, I haven't had any problems making the creds I needed to get basic armor and better weapons. My biggest problem right now is just desiding on what Class, Professoin, Weapon style I want to play. :lol:

Right now my Char names are:

Calidan (PE Soldier) - Thinking about remaking him. My first Char build and the points I chose in skills are out of wack.

Heiron (Psy Monk Inquisitor) - APU / PPU speced, seems to be a good solo character. I've been able to kite mobs in the outlands.

Oroth (Tank Street Sam) - Mess around character, that is rather fun to play, but has nothing else besides combat going for him.

Fourth slot is empty right now. Once I deside what I'm going to play I'll post that chars name here and let you guys know. Until then, just look for me on the Help channel.

On a side note: Do I need Construction skills to use weapon Mods?

Napalm82
15-05-07, 15:32
Construction is needed to install the mods yes, however once they are in they can be used by anyone (If its activatable mods)

Also, if you dont really want handouts at least lemme make a deal then, i'll sell you weapons for what it costs me to make them. (So you dont have to buy a weapon, pay a researcher, buy the parts, pay a constructor to make them and then buy mods)

No loss for me and you'll save a bundle.

But you aint on atm. when can i reach you?

- Napalm

Flipshot
15-05-07, 16:09
I'm on between 7-11pm EST (US, Florida) Give er take, depends on how corporate the kids are. My son who is 6 months old is usually content and is off to sleepy land at about 7:30. My daughter who is 2 can be a bit stubborn come bedtime, though, which puts a damper in my gaming. She also likes to help play sometimes, which can make for some comical ingame situations at times. One time during a Call of Duty session, I stepped away form the desk briefly to grab a drink and she jumped on the chair and began pecking away. She said, "Look daddy I'm doing it." What she did was hit the hot keys I had set for lobbing grenades and she had fragged my whole team. :lol:

Anyway, shoot me a tell between those times I should be on. Having a fixer contact that can sell me good weapons is a plus. :cool:

Napalm82
15-05-07, 16:57
Am I the only die hard single guy here? :lol: (Know a lot of people in NC who has kids / wife / fiance's and whatnot)

Anyways, we're 7 hours apart, so unless i stay up till about 2 am (when you log on, or get up really early we aint gonna catch eachother)

However Thursday is a holiday here in Denmark and i got the friday off, so tomorrow i can stay late and find ya, so we can do out shady buisness :lol: (Like everybody else i'll force you to go to my "shop" )

- Napalm

Flipshot
15-05-07, 17:35
Hehe, cool deal. What time zone are you in, maybe I can just hook up with you on the weekends. I can stay up late (though the wife hates it when I do that. :lol: )

Matanius
15-05-07, 18:07
I can stay up late (though the wife hates it when I do that. :lol: )

Heard that one :p

Napalm82
15-05-07, 18:13
he he, im GMT+1, but just log in normally tomorrow and i'll probably be there to DM you.

- Napalm

silent000
15-05-07, 18:17
Terrarist is dead tho

Lies!