PDA

View Full Version : Google may use profile online gamers to analyse users

zii
12-05-07, 19:00
Dear KK,

You wouldn't start doing this would you? ^^

Google may use profile online gamers (http://technology.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,2078061,00.html)

I am sure the police and government would love to have this type of information.

However, it does make me think that the people who dream up these ideas don't play online computer games given the reported way they intend to use the data to target the audience with adverts.

z

Necpock
12-05-07, 19:11
Scary stuff :D I want my online google profile to be set to "greifer" XD

Mighty Max
12-05-07, 19:20
It isn't allowed in germany, as a company is only permitted to store private data of their customers if they 1. agreed to it and 2. is needed for the service/business they grant you. (without warrenty, thats how i remember it)

It is only possible to store that data without the permission of the user if it has been made anonym, which contradicts the personalized adds principle

Apocalypsox
12-05-07, 19:36
Wont happen. That is far true intrusive to sell this kind of crap to Advertisers if they did complile this data.

zii
12-05-07, 20:01
Clearly it could. Never say never.

On an almost amusing topic, the US DOD have created automated / remote controlled HK Reaper machines. (Remember the Hunter/Killer flying units in the Terminator films). The HK units have Hellcat missiles and other weaponry. The units are controller by a computer network called... yes: SkyNet. Wonderful. Never say never :lol:

More flying horrors from this article (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/11/skynet_takes_control/)

Dribble Joy
12-05-07, 20:20
I doubt it would just be suddenly brought in, the fact that Google is going through the legal channels suggests it would probably end up being an additional section of the EUA, similar to when you sign up for a store points card and are asked if you want personal info sold and/or retained by the company.

Richard Slade
13-05-07, 15:37
Americans lack the freedom, the rest of us don't, so, I'm not worried :p

dark_reaper
14-05-07, 02:41
you think that is scary, try this.

www.zabasearch.com

Richard Slade
14-05-07, 10:46
you think that is scary, try this.

www.zabasearch.com
*yawn* Still just America :rolleyes:

Edit: Also a very very crappy engine.

Flipshot
14-05-07, 20:40
The real scary part is that fact that most gamers have a complete alter ego while playing games than they have in live open social environment. :wtf:

For starters, most gamers don't even use their real names for game profiles, so this compile will have a list of psychotic, twisted, perverted, leet speak, or RP whoring names. Commentary for PvPers will most likely be red flagged as stalking, cereal killing and mass murder. :eek:

Let's face it, unless you're playing Hello Kitty Island adventure, your playing a violent bloodbath of a video game. 8|

What do they really expect to get from this research? :confused:

I guess they could just file it under twisted humor. :lol:

zii
14-05-07, 22:47
Americans lack the freedom, the rest of us don't, so, I'm not worried :p

Cough, erm what!?

Having travelled between Britain and the US a lot, I think I would have more freedom there than in Britain, if I were a US citizen; I am not.

As a EU citizen, I think that I have less legal redress than an American does in the USA.

I feel a little more free on the European continent than the UK; I suspect that this is because its not an island and I can escape from whichever crackpots are running whichever country at whatever time :D

I think the EU's privacy laws are similar to Americas inexistant laws :) So, I see little difference other than the US government denying that it exists, and the EU saying that it is ok to exist and then legalizing it. This is in reference to freedom and privacy, and to national ID databases (Illegal in Germany(?) but being swung in through the backdoor in Bruxelles...)

Richard Slade
15-05-07, 00:43
Did you just compare the first 50 states and the 51st state? :p
So let's hear what the US has that we don't?

And as for privacy: I have the right to do whatever the fEck I want in the recent areas of discussion.
Drugs, piracy, digital storage and phoning without anyone having any right to look into it.
Meanwhile C&C3: Tiberium Wars had a bloody profanity filter! :wtf:

zii
15-05-07, 10:39
In the US I would have an idea of how to challenge a cease and desist notice, but I don't know how this would be done in the EU. Could someone tell me?

I know that in the EU & US if one has encrypted data on the disc then one has to provide the decryption keys, but in the US the courts have to prove that the data is encrypted, which means one can use plausible deniability (http://www.freeotfe.org/docs/plausible_deniability.htm) . However, in the EU the defendant has to prove that the data was not encrypted to the court so plausible deniability doesn't work.

The Eu has a law that allows governments to track what one does. Calls are logged and these include completed and uncompleted calls (I.e mis-dialed numbers or numbers where the called party did not answer).

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/itmanagement/0,1000000308,2090196,00.htm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6358779.stm

As far as I have read EU based ISPs collect this data. The only ISP I Know of that tries to resist is the Dutch company xs4all.nl.

For a comparison between the EU & US please read this link:
http://www.edri.org/edrigram/number4.1/comparison

As someone pointed out, data gleamed from a role-players activities in a computer game will probably give a distorted view of the player!

Because I think that we are moving away from the forum rules then I suggest that we take this to PMs or read these links and make your own mind up.

Richard Slade
15-05-07, 12:09
You are aware of the fact that "EU" and "US" are not comparable in any way as there is no central lawystem in "EU" as every country has their right to do as they please with the laws suggested by the "EU".
France is a good example.

Also, there are maaaany companies working against logging
Flashback and Piratbyrån being the driving forces in Europe.
Flashback for example provides a Fully private ISP where nothing is logged. Not even your IP ;)

Flipshot
15-05-07, 15:15
You are aware of the fact that "EU" and "US" are not comparable in any way as there is no central lawystem in "EU" as every country has their right to do as they please with the laws suggested by the "EU".
France is a good example.

Also, there are maaaany companies working against logging
Flashback and Piratbyrån being the driving forces in Europe.
Flashback for example provides a Fully private ISP where nothing is logged. Not even your IP ;)

Wow, that sounds like some company is making the EU a Hackers paradise. You know, rules and regulations are put in place to protect all parties involved.

Also, just note that everyone is Free to do as they please as long as it doesn't step on anyone else's Freedom. That pretty much sums up citizens rights in either the US or EU. You should also be glad that you have a government with a working police force that can up hold the law. There are countries today in the world that are rather lawless, were anarchy and chaos rein. Armed gangs fighting in the streets, inocent people killed for petty to no reason.

Do you really want total freedom?

zii
15-05-07, 15:16
I am aware that there are entites and companies resisting these directives and there is a difference between the EU/US.

EU laws are often issued as directives and, yes the member states can choose to implement these in a way they see fit so long as the results of the directive is achieved. In the case of the this one (http://www.digitalrights.ie/category/data-retention/) : "The Directive mandates that EU member states are to track the location of all mobile phones, all calls made from land lines and mobile phones, as well as all information on individuals’ internet and email usage. This will include keeping records of all web sites visited, the senders and recipients of all emails and the use of any other Internet Protocol (IP) based communication such as the increasingly popular Voice over IP (VoIP) phone providers such as Skype."

Of course, a member state may decide to implement this how it sees fit, but the result in this case is that the state has to meet the directive. In this case, the monitoring a Internet/'phone use.

If the member state fails to pass the required national legislation, or if the national legislation does not adequately comply with the requirements of the directive, the European Commission can initiate legal action against the member state in the European Court of Justice. The result is the same.

Mmore information is available on Wikipedia here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_retention)

Could this include computer games usage since the in-game communication includes players communicating between each other: Off topic discussion takes place in a game that relates to real life. I see no problem with member states then asking companies to provide the logs of people's in-game communique.

zii
15-05-07, 15:52
. There are countries today in the world that are rather lawless, were anarchy and chaos rein. Armed gangs fighting in the streets, inocent people killed for petty to no reason.

What you have described is not total freedom. I would like my own privacy and the freedom to go as I please. What you have described offers non of these.

Given your comments about governments, EU or US, working for us, please would you kindly read this report and reply with your thoughts on this matter:
http://www.privacyinternational.org/issues/terrorism/rpt/comparativeterrorreportdec2005.pdf
The first table is of interest and gives you a good overview on the current situation, along with the summary that starts on pg 49 to pg 50.

Flipshot
15-05-07, 16:38
What you have described is not total freedom. I would like my own privacy and the freedom to go as I please. What you have described offers non of these.

Given your comments about governments, EU or US, working for us, please would you kindly read this report and reply with your thoughts on this matter:
http://www.privacyinternational.org/issues/terrorism/rpt/comparativeterrorreportdec2005.pdf
The first table is of interest and gives you a good overview on the current situation, along with the summary that starts on pg 49 to pg 50.

I'm for the government in this case and a supporter of the USA Patriot Act. I have no problem with law enforcement agencies monitoring and acting on suspicious and criminal activities, basically doing their job.That job which is to secure and protect its citizens. Why would we not give them all the tools they need to do just that. It makes since to me. There is no point in telling them to uphold the law, but then turn around and tell them they cant do this or that which allows for loop holes to form so that criminals can bypass the system. Only those who have something to hide should have issue with these laws.

zii
15-05-07, 16:54
Only those who have something to hide should have issue with these laws.

With regard to your statement quoted above:

It is popularly proposed that only those few people who are engaged in criminal activity will need to fear the introduction of compulsory identity cards. Everybody else, it is claimed, will be able to enjoy a new sense of security and safety from ideologically inspired violence, fraud and other criminal acts. The statement that only those with something to hide will have something to fear, is nothing more than a thoughtless and foolish mantra repeated by those who prefer platitudes to the demands of careful and rational thinking.

This particular myth remains plausible only when it is repeated as a mantra and considered at the most shallow level, or not considered at all.

The ordinary person has only two defences against brutal or totalitarian regimes: The first defence, is to ensure that no government regime ever acquires the power by which it might initiate oppression. The second defence, to be used if the first failed, is to hide — as many people had to do during the fascist and communist purges that occurred within living memory.

A biometric identity system, along with privacy and freedom of movement policies, defeats both of these defences:

In the first place a compulsory inclusion in a biometric identity database will allow governments to accumulate immense and detailed information about the activities of its citizens, and information, as intelligent and informed people know, is power. Compulsory biometric identification linked to computerized record keeping would certainly make wide scale oppression quite easy and dissension simple to suppress. Your ID is used to cross a border and potentially your identification could be lined to your Internet use and telephone calls made.

In the second place, a scheme of compulsory biometric identification will make it almost impossible for people to disappear into hiding until the totalitarian regime has expired.

Flipshot
15-05-07, 17:25
I see now, you are a conspiracy theorist. So any measure the government makes to ensure it's citizen's safety and well being will be taken as a threat to ones liberties.

Let's look at this from a different perspective. In my eyes switch to one identity card for all would be more ideal than the current multiple forms of ID that one is required to carry now. So for me, this new proposal really saves my wallet. Now instead of a Drivers License, a social security card, a passport, and what not, I will only have to carry one card. So how is this a bad thing again?

Bah, but who are we kidding here anyway. The Legislative Branch of government couldn't decide or agree on what they want for lunch much less something as useful as single Identification system. So the measure would just languish die making the whole debate moot.

Jodo
16-05-07, 05:23
Also, just note that everyone is Free to do as they please as long as it doesn't step on anyone else's Freedom. That pretty much sums up citizens rights in either the US or EU. You should also be glad that you have a government with a working police force that can up hold the law. There are countries today in the world that are rather lawless, were anarchy and chaos rein. Armed gangs fighting in the streets, inocent people killed for petty to no reason.

That all still happens in the UK and the US. At the moment there's a lot of teen killings going on all over the UK. There is no way that kids have a good enough reason to kill another. There's also gang shootings going on regular enough and in public for it to be a concern.
I still agree with you though. I assume you're referring to parts of Africa and other such largely lawless areas?

zii
16-05-07, 12:37
"lets kill that kid in our classroom"
"no, we cannot because we have ID cards and they monitor our telephone calls and they fingerprinted me in school last week for the library card access"
"erm, yeah. but we can still kill him?"
"'s'pose so ^^"

Richard Slade
16-05-07, 13:01
As far as I'm concerned, the "hackers paradise" works fine as it takes alot of experience to become a decent hacker, which in turn takes a brain, and that's where the thugs fail. The freedom we enjoy in piracy and privacy works just fine.

Obviously those who try to do it for their own economical benefit will be hunted down by ALL sides to protect that balance.
It's all good.

myself, the only protection I have is avast, no firewalls no nothing. Safe? Totally.

And as for chaos and anarchy, I'm a known supporter of the full freedom of mankind. And I'd be Very happy if people were just free to do as they please.
It works for every single race on the planet, so should it for humans too.

Only those who have something to hide should have issue with these laws.

As for that statement:
I HAVE something to hide.
Alot of people do.
I enjoy certain types of sex. I'm a sucker for certain unhealthy types of food. I don't work as much as I could. I watch certain types of movies that my friends would laugh at. I have a crush on someone who doesn't know. I have certain needs before I go to sleep that I don't want to talk about. I enjoy politically incorrect comedians. I talk to certain people on the phone that people would frown at.

NOTHING of this is illegal, but I sure as hell want to hide it.
So does Everyone else.
Just because I'm not doing something that isn't "allowed" (Like, you know, eating mushrooms which I picked outside, or watering my flowers, because nature is illegal to be in contact with..) that doesn't mean I want Anyone else to know What I'm doing.

So, ye, that argument is kinda... Shitty.
And let's not even mentioned the things I've said in PMs to Nidhogg :wtf: