PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Command & Conquer 3

Dribble Joy
12-05-07, 16:51
Haven't seen a thread about this so far, so here one is, huzzah.

Who's got this yet? It's shiney, much shiney abounds within.

Have so far completed the GDI and Nod campaigns (the last level for Nod is an utter bitch), now working on the Scrin one.

I love it when the scrin send about 10 tripods your way, spank them all and then you've got a bunch of big nasties for the cost of an engineer :D.

StevenJ
12-05-07, 17:44
I meant to get this the day it came out, but work got ahead of me. I haven't even played the demo yet.

Where does it sit with the other command and conquer games? Is it more slow-paced and tactical like Generals, or a rush like Red Alert? I've got to admit I'm more of a Generals fan.

Dribble Joy
12-05-07, 18:16
It's basically RA/C&C but with the Generals engine, some missions are slow, other are utterly chaotic.

Apocalypsox
12-05-07, 18:29
ive played the demo quite a bit, and it entertains me for a while, but skirmish gets old fast imo.

=REMUS=
12-05-07, 19:38
Multiplayer is pathetic, as nod you can have 40 scorpion tanks in their base in 4 mins. Mid game GDI rule with rail guns, and end game scrin ******** with stupidly superior air power + shields.

It's not a very good/balenced multiplayer game imo, not in the way RA1&2 where. But then again, Dawn of War Dark Crusade isn't balenced at all either..

I've been told that the single player is pretty awesome though, i'm just sadistic with most games and other player multiplayer lol.

Dribble Joy
12-05-07, 19:55
The single player is very good. For a start there's a lot of missions, more than the 10 or so in RA or earlier C&C games.
The other good thing is that rather than the storylines of each campaign being seperate paths, they run parallel (or at least they do as far as I've got into the Scrin one), the final battles take place in different places and the rest of it is intertwined. If you do them in 'order' (GDI - Nod - Scrin) then more and more of the story becomes apparent.

=REMUS=
12-05-07, 20:27
Sounds good

Have you tried skirmish and online play?

Tubby
12-05-07, 20:32
Ive completed all the campaigns, they were pretty good but skirmish does get tedious.
Although storyline was brill if you have played the whole c&c series, bring on the expansion/sequel. ;)

Tratos
12-05-07, 21:27
Seems im the only one who was massivly (http://leecarrick.com/?p=33) disapointed in it so far then, i assume you unlock the Scrin campagin after completing the two main lines. So far i've still only done GDI - might force myself to start NOD while i watch eps 1-12 of heroes this weekend.

I hate EA :(

C&C 3 just isn't.. right.

Mighty Max
12-05-07, 21:51
Erm im curious

What exactlydid disappoint you? You say the cut scenes, the linkage/story behind it. But you don't go in any detail. What exactly did you miss there, what was different, and why do the characters have less depth as you say that.

Beside the end of the NOD campaign (which seems to be cut-off in middle of action) i can't really follow your points.

Actually i find the story far more attractive then those pseudo reality-bound stories in RA/RA2/Generals.

I am currently enjoying the network multiplayer and skirmish. Brutal opponents are still an tough task for me, espacially when scrin spams with air units.

ashley watts
12-05-07, 23:23
Theres a new balacing patch coming out for C&C 3 <3 so all should be good very soon :p but the game is good imo, on full settings the game looks amazing, The ion cannon is just sexehhhh

unreal
13-05-07, 05:36
I didn't really like C&C3 much either, and found the cutscenes annoying too. After the first couple of cutscenes it got to the stage where I only bothered watching them because of the sexy woman in it. The acting reminded me a bit of Starship Troopers. :p There wasn't much skill involved in the game, it pretty much boiled down to "Vehicle ZZZEEERRRGGG" in most missions. And even that was easy thanks to *scratches brain* that-mobile-vehicle-base-thing. It only became slightly tedious when you were at the alien stage and they brought those HL2 gunship replicas in, because they had slightly more range than your own vehicles.

Having a feck load of Mammoth tanks zerging everything is quite fun at times though. :rolleyes:

PS. Speaking of Starship Troopers... Starship Troopers 3 or 4 is being made, and has the original Rico in it. :D

CMaster
13-05-07, 11:49
There wasn't much skill involved in the game, it pretty much boiled down to "Vehicle ZZZEEERRRGGG" in most missions.

Welcome to Command and Conquer. The game that markets itself as a stratergy game, yet requires none. (OK, in the original C&C, on GDI missions there was some thought involved because eye of nod was so overpowered you couldn't take it on directly).

Matanius
13-05-07, 11:59
This is exactly why I gave up with C&C games. I tried 'Red Alert 2' but just couldn't bring myself to complete it. I had hoped they may have fixed the whole 'vehicle ZERG!' business, was too much to ask it seems.

I've pretty much given up with RTS games, started getting far too repetitive. However I did enjoy 'Dawn of War' and love the 'Total War' Series, although I'm so damn poor I haven't been able to get the new one. :lol:

CMaster
13-05-07, 12:21
This is exactly why I gave up with C&C games. I tried 'Red Alert 2' but just couldn't bring myself to complete it. I had hoped they may have fixed the whole 'vehicle ZERG!' business, was too much to ask it seems.

If it actually involved stratergy, it wouldn't be proper C&C.
That said, C&C was around before the term "zerg" was even derived. People just called it "tank rushing" back then.

CHA0S
13-05-07, 13:59
I bought cnc3 took me about a week to get the thing going had probs with the very famous game.dat file.
Finally figured out that it was my ide controller not installed properly gotta love the dvd protection......SecureRom i believe.

Anyway its a good game but still im here and playing NC hehe :angel:

ashley watts
13-05-07, 14:23
PS. Speaking of Starship Troopers... Starship Troopers 3 or 4 is being made, and has the original Rico in it. :D

GET INNN :D

Zheo
13-05-07, 20:02
Done both GDI and Nod missions, nod last mission was easy DJ. did it first time.

Dribble Joy
13-05-07, 20:14
O_o

How exactly? The GDIs tank rush their base before you've got enough of anything to mount attacks.

DARK_Overfiend
14-05-07, 12:54
i had it about a week before the World Release. cos i bought myne from EA Link. (no cds , no cd keys)

ive done maybe half of both campains. i havent played it much tbh. ive been workin alot more than usual.

but it tis good for good multiplayer.

Richard Slade
15-05-07, 00:47
Had it a few weeks before release *cough*
And, well, nice to see Kane.. Apart from that *HAH!*

Nothing can save that line of movies after what they did to ST2.. Nothing!