PDA

View Full Version : Help required

StevenJ
12-05-07, 03:19
I was helping someone tonight, who had been ripped off, and basically bullshitted to about how he should spend his cash and his points, for cheap kicks. He didn't know what class he was, though his main stat was level 67. He was still doing his best to enjoy the game, using a TL 20 wep at his level. The guy - through no fault of his own - was soldiering on, really enjoying and trying to love the game - struggling and totally, massively oblivious to how the game works.

A pipe dream (warning, drunken post):

The big clans, the helpful clans, and all who want to help, set up a totally, TOTALLY a-political clan, City Mercs.

Each member is a trade-skiller, or experienced player from one of the big clans, who must have known alts, and be approved by the big clan leaders.

We each donate the odd mill here and there, and used redundant weps to help new players level up, but mainly to give advice - without spoiling the discovery of the game - and showing them the ropes.

We TRY to provide around-the-clock (or peak time) support.

We DON'T try to give to new players everything on a plate, but help where we can tell someone's gone badly wrong.

Personally, I've always stood up for the outcasts and "noobs" - with a bit of nurturing and guidance - but not too much - they can learn love this game as much as the rest of us. Without it, they get confused and frustrated. Can we rise above politics and at least TRY to help? I've seen the guys who eXL, N03 and SXR gave free rare weps to running around killing everything in sight. That's a great feeling. We can try to do this on a big, permanent scale, surely?

There are problems this structure introduces. This thread is a starting point for discussion. It may be naive, but we could start here. If there is no longer an official noob helping squad, then we should perhaps make one?

Flame me as much as you like, criticise me or my clan as much as you like. Let's try to rise above this and do something to help get people aquainted with the game we've all discovered and learnt to love. Can we rise above the squabbles to do this?

Dribble Joy
12-05-07, 04:10
I and several other people have tried to make true CM clans, but it never works for long.

Someone allways thinks they're on one side or another, as does the other side, the people in the clan aren't allways saints and fuck-ups happen. Even if you have big name and/or clan leader support, that doesn't help much if all the other people don't know about it, don't give a fuck or will actively seek to ruin it.

I want to say try it, I really do, but I feel everyone will just end up bitter.

=REMUS=
12-05-07, 05:26
I wouldn't mind helping with my fully capped ppu since i've no use for him really, i might give him away to the right person actually.

Matanius
12-05-07, 10:42
This sounds like a f***king great idea. Although i am still a nib myself really I would happily help out if this gets on its feet.

However the other, less optimistic, side of me completely agrees with DJ.

Right now I'm not awake enough to offer any ideas, i will try to later though.

silent000
12-05-07, 11:12
This is coming from StevenJ who liked to sit in the aggie cellars for a couple of hours a day on his capped PPU helping out all the noobs :angel:

ashley watts
12-05-07, 12:12
StevenJ is a very nice man :angel:

Necpock
12-05-07, 15:40
You know what? F*** it. If I decide to stay, you can welcome my tradeskiller in clan.

(no matter how sh*t Cracker decides my conster is <3)

And thanks for the negativity DJ ;)

StevenJ
12-05-07, 15:59
You know what? F*** it. If I decide to stay, you can welcome my tradeskiller in clan.

(no matter how sh*t Cracker decides my conster is <3)
Good stuff, we need a few more people to make this worthwhile, yet. We want it to be work from the offset, and not fizzle out.... long shot really.

And thanks for the negativity DJ ;)Feedback is good, there's a lot we need to think about :p

Necpock
12-05-07, 16:02
Yah it is good but, we are talking about a city mercs TRADESKILLER clan to help new members of the community right?

CM is only usefull in this instance because of the areas CM can go to help noobs. other wise there wouldn't be much point of the clan.

This isn't an OP war clan. Its a clan to help new members and new characters for the best. How many tradeskiller clans can you count that have broken apart? :P

Dribble Joy
12-05-07, 16:47
Ah. StevenJ was drunk, I haven't really slept since about wednesday night.

No problems with a tradeskill, helper clan from the now increasingly delerious DJ.

silent000
12-05-07, 16:53
Well necpock i expect to see all these noobs chuck away your poo weapons you make them 5 mins after you build em xD

Matanius
12-05-07, 16:59
Hmm....I only have on capped char atm, and he's not a tradeskiller. In fact only have one other toon and he's pretty useless atm.

If there is anything else i can do to help, lemme know, i dont have much in the way of items or cash, but i may have something of value :p

StevenJ
12-05-07, 17:40
No problems with a tradeskill, helper clan from the now increasingly delerious DJ.Better get another teapot fired up, I'll get the alka-seltzer!

I can see more problems with this in the cold, sober, hungover light of day, but this will ultimately fail or succeed according to how many people we can get together who want to put a little time in. I don't envisage someone sitting around in a clan app somewhere with their feet up on a desk reading the paper waiting for a question to be asked on trade, but I think a shared resource pool and skill-set, with tradeskillers, patient advisors, drivers, etc, could be an real asset to the game. I do like to help people out, but I'm always wary of people thinking I'm just cosying up to them for recruitment or other hidden motives. Contrary to my aged sig, we're not recruiting at the minute, we're barely alive :lol:

Hmm....I only have on capped char atm, and he's not a tradeskiller. In fact only have one other toon and he's pretty useless atm.

If there is anything else i can do to help, lemme know, i dont have much in the way of items or cash, but i may have something of valueAll good, people just sometimes need a quick word of advice on how to spend their points wisely, where to level, driving a couple of sectors to TH or the odd poke. Willing participants is all we need to start off with (and people who need help :p)

Doc Holliday
12-05-07, 18:15
great idea mate. seriously. good luck with it. i hope it does well. i like the idea of cm as you can at least go to help them out in doy or nc. i try as much as i can but for sometimes getting flamed by asshats on help. ;( however all the best and i will continue to do my bit where i can.

Matanius
12-05-07, 18:31
All good, people just sometimes need a quick word of advice on how to spend their points wisely, where to level, driving a couple of sectors to TH or the odd poke. Willing participants is all we need to start off with (and people who need help )

Well i can give some basic advice, where to buy things, how to use the RPOS (seems to be many noobs struggle with that), and all the other really basic stuff that we all take for granted but can still often stump a new runner.

I also can help out with flying new people around (something I do quite often anyway tbh).

Unfortunately I dunno how much time I can spare atm as I'm currently in the process of getting this new clan on it's feet however I can always spare a few minutes to help someone out. Gimme a PM here or a DM in-game on 'Matan' or 'Chanoch' if there's anyway i can help.

=REMUS=
12-05-07, 19:46
This is coming from StevenJ who liked to sit in the aggie cellars for a couple of hours a day on his capped PPU helping out all the noobs :angel:

I and several others had to do the same a while ago when it was fashionable to raid the aggy cellars, admittedly i was using a capped pistol pe/hc tank lol.

Necpock
12-05-07, 20:20
I and several others had to do the same a while ago when it was fashionable to raid the aggy cellars, admittedly i was using a capped pistol pe/hc tank lol.

Had to? No one forced anyone into doing anything.

Thats how I first started speaking to StevenJ :D

=REMUS=
12-05-07, 20:26
Had to? No one forced anyone into doing anything.

Thats how I first started speaking to StevenJ :D

Well that is true, but protecting noobs seemed like a good idea at the time.. although if you like getting ganked as a noob then fair enough :wtf:

William Antrim
13-05-07, 00:28
Ride the help channel, best way to help the newbs. I cant move to CM im afraid but ill be happy to help out where possible.

Necpock
13-05-07, 01:51
If you havn't already noticed, new players messaging on the help chanel either get answered and helped (rare), ignored or flamed. Its very rare that someone should go out there way to help a noob.

Faid
13-05-07, 18:00
I go out of my way to help people on the help channel almost everytime I see a question that is easily answerable. The problem is the questions that require an indepth answer that is usually very confusing and difficult to explain in words, especially when the noobie has no idea what youre talking about to begin with.

Apocalypsox
13-05-07, 19:59
If you havn't already noticed, new players messaging on the help chanel either get answered and helped (rare), ignored or flamed. Its very rare that someone should go out there way to help a noob.

I used to whore myself out 24/7 to the help channel and answer any and all questions. Then some other people took over and i kinda gave that up. Maybe i should get back to my position at head of the channel.

and like Faid, ill throw a couple hundred K at any new players that really need it. Its not hard and it makes life much easier in NC. I probly never would have gotten into NC if my mentor hadnt given me a hand.