PDA

View Full Version : Choosing

BloodWolfen56
01-05-07, 01:04
I just started, was looking at all the classes and professions etc, I wanted to know...which one uses an SMG and if theres only one, can it solo?

Dribble Joy
01-05-07, 02:40
Three classes can use an smg, though two of them better than the other.

For starting from scratch I'd say go with a Private Eye. They are quite versatile and are good for learning the ropes on.

Also, note that there's only really 4 SMGs in the game. Each weapon has a tech level (TL), and as the TL increases, so does the requirements. Of course as you level your stats increase and you can get better weapons. The problem is that you can't just use each smg in turn, the gaps in TL are too big. You could just use them, but you would level very slowly. There is an end game SMG, one of the 'rare' weapons - the Liberator.

As for proffession, it doesn't matter much really as the only thing profession affects is starting equipment and the first mission you get. Other wise theres no difference.
However, the infiltrator profession gives you a starter pistol, so that would be usefull. It also sets your skill points to roughly what you need before you gain more indepth knowledge of the skill system.

BloodWolfen56
01-05-07, 05:43
Ok then...started playing while I was waiting for an answer and chose assassin (spy). I guess SMG isn't the way to go.

BloodWolfen56
01-05-07, 06:58
One more question...which is a good class/profession to use the gattling gun? soldier?

cMz
01-05-07, 08:52
there are different types of gatlins in game:
- pistol type gatlins
- rifle type gatlins
- heavy type gatlins

If you want to use pistol or rifle, go for a spy or a PE
If you want to use heavy weapons, go for a Tank

Again the profession does not really matter that much, as they only put the starting stats in different ways, and affect the starting equipment.

take a look at www.techhaven.org and look at the itemdatabase. This will give you an idea what kind of weapons is available in game.
The database is under construction, so not everything is available yet, I think, but you can get an idea.

If you find a weapon that requires DEX, the spy class is the one that can get the best of these.
If you find a weapon that requires STR, the tank class will be able to get to the best ones.

A Private Eye (PE) can use some DEX-based and some STR-based weapons, but will not be able to use the highest levels of them.

Dribble Joy
01-05-07, 22:23
With the gatlins, it's the same as the smgs. In general there's three normal weapons of a particular type, and then a rare version,

You can use both gatlin rifles and pistols, but you won't be nearly as effective with both as with one. Rather that the damage, frequency, etc. depending on your level or main stat (like dexterity) it's affected by sub-skills. Pistols and rifles have their own sub-skills, pistol combat and rifle combat.

The end game of NC is (relative to other MMOs) reached quickly, and in centred around PvP, plus a lot of PvE is aimed at capped players. You can use what you want at end-game, but your leveling time will be increased significantly if you stick to a single weapon type. Of course if you're more into PvE then there's no real issue.

BloodWolfen56
03-05-07, 05:26
Ok. I've got mostly everything down. Implants increase the subskills, take some sewer rat missions, also found a nice place if you're a soldier to just lob grenades and kill about 3-4 guys at the same time. Only thing that bothers me is that when I try and do anything with a rifle/pistol it seems boring, like per say, 3 bullets to kill a rat? most of the time I spend 7 trying to target the thing. And pistols are just...whoo boy...dont want to get into that one. So am I missing out on something? I barely see anyone in the sewers, and if I do I never see them again, and the grind spot a friend showed me, is getting lame...repetitive. I would really like to level my dexterity up a bit faster (people say they are capping in one day?!) and as far as strength goes, well, that would be fine if I had to stand around and lob grenades...explosions are pretty =D.

BloodWolfen56
03-05-07, 05:36
I'm pretty much asking for someone to help me out.

nabbl
03-05-07, 10:12
hc weapons are just fine for leveling dexterity and intelligence.

ashley watts
03-05-07, 17:26
Everything is personal preference imo :p

William Antrim
03-05-07, 19:35
So youre a spy? Do you use pistols as your main weapon or rifles? What zone are you going to to level? what level sewer are you using? have you been to pepper park at all? What rank are you (rank is reached by pressing f5 and taking a note of the 2 numbers there at the top..... spelled out like 5/5 or something for a rank 5 character).

If you can provide more specific detailed information we can help you a little more.

:)

BloodWolfen56
04-05-07, 07:59
So far I'm just messing around. My highest is 16/8 soldier, gentank. Not too fond of him though. Came to the game to be a sniper of some sort, well, not possible (unless I want to spend eternity grinding). Probably won't buy it unless someone can show me that this game isn't just a bunch of complex crap resulting in a 2v2 pvp zone because everyone already quit or one side being zerged. Been taking sewer rat missions while I was playing an infiltrator (spy), due to the range on the pistols I spent about 10-11 of the 12 bullets killing one. As a soldier I've started leveling off the mutants in pep sewers. As my assassin (also spy) I tried killing mutants, can barely kill one, and thats with a medkit. Not to mention how NPC's can tell I am targeting them and they move but I miss, and if I strafe when they shoot me they hit 98% of the time? If you haven't realized I make all my characters for the "good" guys, usually N.E.X.T. From what I hear DoY is a horrible, grimey place and can't be in the slightest good for noobs. Seems like some balancing issues here. Now that my hopes for an easy leveling system have been dashed, who would like to give me the red pill?

Matanius
04-05-07, 10:41
Well for spy's and PE's there is a much easier way to level. Go droner. Droners get the highest xp by far although it is even more boring (if that's at all possible!). Level up with a droner then LOM to whatever you want to be.

Although i did hear that there are some problems with low-level drones.

SorkZmok
04-05-07, 14:07
Drones up to at least TL 20 are wank and won't do any real damage to anything.

Best bet these days is either heavy combat tank or rifle tank/spy/PE.

Use the help channel. Ask for places to level. There's always someone to help you out and maybe even give you some money or items.

Don't give up too early, the game gets a LOT better later on. It's just that right now it's very hard for newbies.

Oh and if you're not a carebear, try finding a nice clan. And by nice clan i don't mean one of the huge clans because those usually tend to recruit every asshat that wants in. Rather find a small group of friends. Or make some and start your own clan.

If that's the case, drop me a mail ingame and i'll donate some money for a key. Newbies with balls need to be rewarded. :lol:

My name on Terra is Kid Kapow.

BloodWolfen56
04-05-07, 21:37
So what you're saying is roll a droner, get capped, then "LOM" to another profession?

Matanius
04-05-07, 22:38
Well you should do what you feel comfortable with, however droners are the fastest way to level. So if you want to get to the higher levels quickly then that is the best way to do it. However as Kid said:

Drones up to at least TL 20 are wank and won't do any real damage to anything.

Best bet these days is either heavy combat tank or rifle tank/spy/PE.

SorkZmok
07-05-07, 08:09
Hm, i wonder if he's still around seeing he didn't post anymore over the whole weekend.

:(

Shame so many people give up so early.

BloodWolfen56
08-05-07, 20:11
It just didn't hold my attention - sorry.

silent000
08-05-07, 20:50
It just didn't hold my attention - sorry.

Expect Mr T to show up at your door for acting like a crazy fool!

Matanius
08-05-07, 21:54
He he, so glad to see him back on TV again! Even if it is just for a Snickers bar :p

ashley watts
08-05-07, 22:30
Get Some Nutz