PDA

View Full Version : [OT] true story....so it says

CHA0S
26-04-07, 00:11
Anyone else heard of a story like this....i would post a pic of the spider which was compared to a dinner plate :eek: HUGE but cant find it atm.
Anyway just reminded me of the spider infestation we had as an event :)

A true story and its source was the Australian Quarantine Inspection
Service in Adelaide.

A bloke and his family were on holidays in the United States and went
to Mexico for a week. An avid cactus fan, the man bought one-metre
high, rare and expensive cactus there. On arrival back home Australian
Customs said it must be quarantined for 3 months.

He finally got his cactus home. Planted it in his backyard, and over
time it grew to about 2 metres. One evening while watering his garden
after a warm spring day, he gave the cactus a light spray. He was
amazed to see the plant shiver all over, he gave it another spray and
it shivered again. He was puzzled so he rang the council who put him on
to the state gardens people. After a few transfers he got the state's
foremost cactus expert who asked him many questions. How tall is it?
Has it flowered? Etc.

Finally he asked the most disturbing question. "Is your family in the
house?" The bloke answered yes. The cactus expert said get out of the
house NOW, get on to the front nature strip and wait for me; I will be
there in 20 minutes.

Fifteen minutes later, 2 fire trucks, 2 police cars and an ambulance
came screaming around the corner. A fireman got out and asked "Are
you the bloke with the cactus?" I am, he said. A guy jumped out of
the fire truck wearing what looked like a space suit, a breathing
cylinder and mask attached to what looked like a scuba backpack with a
large hose attached.
He headed for the backyard and turned a flame-thrower on the cactus
spraying it up and down.

After a few minutes the flame-thrower man stopped, the cactus stood
smoking and spitting, half the fence was burnt and parts of the gardens
were well and truly scorched. Just then the cactus expert appeared and
laid a calming hand on the bloke's shoulder. "What the hell's going
on?" he says. "Let me show you" says the cactus man. He went over to
the cactus and picked away a crusty bit, the cactus was almost entirely
hollow and filled with tiger striped bird-eating tarantula spiders,
each about the size of two hand spans.

The story was that this type of spider lays eggs in this type of cactus
and they hatch and live in it as they grow to full size. When full size
they release themselves. The cactus just explodes and about 150 dinner
plate sized hairy spiders are flung from it, dispersing everywhere.
They had been ready to pop. The aftermath was that the house and the
adjoining houses had to be vacated and fumigated: police tape was put
up outside the whole area and no one was allowed in for two weeks.

unreal
26-04-07, 00:17
It's a hoax. After reading that and being fairly amazed by it, I did a quick google search and:
Spider Explodes Out of Cactus Hoax

Type: Urban Legend

Discovery Date: Oct 19, 2006 12:58:00 PM GMT -0800

Last Reported Date: Oct 19, 2006 12:58:00 PM GMT -0800

Description:

This hoax email message warns recipients of certain types of cacti that can refuge Tarantula spiders (the largest arachnid in the world), which explodes out of the plant upon its maturity.

A number of variants has spun out of this hoax, with notable changes in location and other specifications. In this example, the events were set in Australia; others were set in various locations around the world. In other examples, Tarantulas were said to dwell into small, potted cactus, the kind which is commonly kept in a home.

As of this writing, there are no records of these spiders nesting inside cactus plants. Most arachnids of this kind live in underground burrows and a few of them live in trees. And even if Tarantula eggs are lain inside, the cactus will surely not explode when the eggs hatch.

Original Message:
A true story and its source was the Australian Quarantine Inspection Service in Adelaide.

A bloke and his family were on holidays in the United States and went to Mexico for a week. An avid cactus fan, the man bought one-metre high, rare and expensive cactus there. On arrival back home Australian Customs said it must be quarantined for 3 months.

He finally got his cactus home. Planted it in his backyard, and over time it grew to about 2 metres. One evening while watering his garden after a warm spring day, he gave the cactus a light spray. He was amazed to see the plant shiver all over, he gave it another spray and it shivered again.

He was puzzled so he rang the council who put him on to the state gardens people. After a few transfers he got the state's foremost cactus expert who asked him many questions. How tall is it? Has it flowered? Etc.

Finally he asked the most disturbing question. "Is your family in the house?" The bloke answered yes. The cactus expert said get out of the house NOW, get on to the front nature strip and wait for me; I will be there in 20 minutes.

After a few minutes the flame-thrower man stopped, the cactus stood smoking and spitting, half the fence was burnt and parts of the gardens were well and truly scorched. Just then the cactus expert appeared and laid a calming hand on the bloke's shoulder. "What the hell's going on?" he says. "Let me show you" says the cactus man. He went over to the cactus and picked away a crusty bit, the cactus was almost entirely hollow and filled with tiger striped bird-eating tarantula spiders, each about the size of two hand spans.

The story was that this type of spider lays eggs in this type of cactus and they hatch and live in it as they grow to full size. When full size they release themselves. The cactus just explodes and about 150 dinner plate sized hairy spiders are flung from it, dispersing everywhere. They had been ready to pop. The aftermath was that the house and the adjoining houses had to be vacated and fumigated: police tape was put up outside the whole area and no one was allowed in for two weeks.

And here's what one of the b*stards looks like sitting on a FULL SIZE dinner plate...

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/images/spider.gif:p

Necpock
26-04-07, 00:43
Ima go buy a cactus and plant it into some random unsuspecting person's front garden :D

Oh how I wish it was real :(

RogerRamjet
26-04-07, 00:48
My uncles just emigrated to Aussie, and he took a picture of a spider he found on the outside wall of his house.

Fuck me, it was big. Certainly more than a piece of paper and glass tumbler job.

rob444
26-04-07, 01:47
http://www.lafinjack.net/pictures/random/ceilingspiders.jpg

You know you want it.

Apocalypsox
26-04-07, 02:08
*Grabs flamethrower and lights ciggy with it* i fucking HATE Spiders.

naimex
26-04-07, 02:28
there is only 1 way to kill a spider.

pitchfork, deodorant, lighter.

let the bitches burn slowly, boil from the inside out.

the only good spider, is one thats been tortured to death, as an example to all the other spiders to stay the **** away and just go extinct!

Apocalypsox
26-04-07, 02:39
there is only 1 way to kill a spider.

pitchfork, deodorant, lighter.

let the bitches burn slowly, boil from the inside out.

the only good spider, is one thats been tortured to death, as an example to all the other spiders to stay the **** away and just go extinct!

Hehe ^^ I still have my stainless steel lock-blade stuck in a big ass spider on my wall. I should probly take that out one of these days...

William Antrim
26-04-07, 09:18

You know you want it.

That reminds me of my ex-girlfriend in a wierd, kinky way. 8|

As for the spiders - yeah I used to have one that size (the Goliath i mean - the proper name for a "bird eating spider" and yes it was huge). I rescued it from a shop who hadnt looked after it properly and it had lost two of its legs. After feeding it on mice once a month for about a year it grew its legs back and i gave it to a friend of mine as a present. She loved it.

Theyre actually quite docile creatures mostly. I wouldnt go picking one up or anything because if they bite you it can hurt. You wont die necessarily, but you might wish you had.

However some of the spiders in Australia can be proper mean, its generally the little ones that do you the most harm, at least with the big ones you can see them coming!

rob444
26-04-07, 11:14
Those tarantula spiders are actually quite lovely creatures if you love them back, if you are being an ass to it, sure it'll bite your hand off but if you do nothing but being kind to it etc. it'll most likely never bite you.
I remember my old friend's uncle had a few of them but he couldn't hold them anymore because they had become aggressive, I wonder if it had anything to do with the pencil poking...

RogerRamjet
26-04-07, 12:20

You know you want it.

Dude, wtf.

Those aren't spiders though right? They look more like Harvest Men?

silent000
26-04-07, 12:22
I would love to just lay down and roll in those spiders :rolleyes:

rob444
26-04-07, 12:46
Dude, wtf.

Those aren't spiders though right? They look more like Harvest Men?

Those are Daddy long legs, they don't bite from what I've heard. Those guys usually sneak into the apartment through the balcony at summer time over here and I REALLY hate those spiders. One of them crawled up my leg once when I was sitting in shorts infront of the computer, I thought it was the wind blowing at my leg so it felt nice until I noticed a spider tried to eat me up or whatever lol.

nobby
26-04-07, 22:49
no... they're fucking bigger than daddy long legs !

I find them everynight !

and Did you know that a daddy long legs has enough venom inside to kill 2 million humans !

It's just it's teeth are too crap to penetrate our skin ^^

CHA0S
26-04-07, 23:09
no... they're fucking bigger than daddy long legs !

I find them everynight !

and Did you know that a daddy long legs has enough venom inside to kill 2 million humans !

It's just it's teeth are too crap to penetrate our skin ^^

Lets just hope they dont evolve anytime soon with bloody great big fangs 8|

CHA0S
26-04-07, 23:15
And for all you sweetie fans......

Mr Cadbury and Miss Rowntree met on a Double Decker, it was After Eight. She was from Quality Street, he was a Fisherman's Friend. On the way they stopped at a Yorkie Bar, he had a Rum and Butter, she had a Wine Gum.
He asked her name, "Polo, I'm the one with the hole" she said."I'm the one with the nuts," he thought! Then he touched her Milky Way. They checked in to a hotel, and went straight to the bedroom. Mr Cadbury turned out the light for a bit of Black Magic. It wasn't long before he slipped his hand into her Snickers and felt her Cream Egg. He fondled her Flap Jacks then he showed her his Curly Wurly and Tic Tacs.
Miss Rowntree wasn't keen to have any Jelly Babies, so she let him take a trip down Bourneville Boulevard via her Party Ring. He was quite pleased as he always fancied a bit of Fudge. It was a magic moment as she let out a scream of Turkish Delight. When he pulled out, his king size Mars Bar felt a bit Crunchie. She wanted more, but he needed a Time Out, however, he noticed her Pink Wafers looked very appetizing. He did a Twirl, had a Picnic in her Sherbet Dip and finished off by giving her a Gob Stopper!
Unfortunately, Mr Cadbury then had to go home to his wife, Caramel. Sadly he was soon to discover he had VD. It turned out Miss Rowntree had been with Bertie Basset who apparently had Allsorts!!!

Apocalypsox
27-04-07, 00:26
Those are Daddy long legs, they don't bite from what I've heard. Those guys usually sneak into the apartment through the balcony at summer time over here and I REALLY hate those spiders. One of them crawled up my leg once when I was sitting in shorts infront of the computer, I thought it was the wind blowing at my leg so it felt nice until I noticed a spider tried to eat me up or whatever lol.

They do bite, Trust me. But it just kinda feels funny. there are millions of em back in my home town.

rob444
27-04-07, 10:37
They do bite, Trust me. But it just kinda feels funny. there are millions of em back in my home town.

That sort of confirms what I suspected. When I was pretty young I woke up in the night and it felt like something bit me in the back and it did hurt. So I tried to grab whatever it was and it sort of felt like a daddy long leg (long legs) and I threw it away and went back to sleep (it was too dark to see what it was). The next day I had this really small mark there, no red skin though, just a small bump. Later on it turned into a mole - if that was because of whatever bit me or just a concidence it bit me there I have no idea :lol:

naimex
27-04-07, 10:40
That sort of confirms what I suspected. When I was pretty young I woke up in the night and it felt like something bit me in the back and it did hurt. So I tried to grab whatever it was and it sort of felt like a daddy long leg (long legs) and I threw it away and went back to sleep (it was too dark to see what it was). The next day I had this really small mark there, no red skin though, just a small bump. Later on it turned into a mole - if that was because of whatever bit me or just a concidence it bit me there I have no idea :lol:

thank you so much for sharing objects on your rear end with the rest of the world ...

Now, since I already read it, and can't unread it..

Maybe it bit you, and laid an eggsack in your rear, with a billion spider babies inside, just wanting to get out...

How scary would that thought be? ... just to continue in the "i wish i hadn't read that sentence" style ...

rob444
27-04-07, 11:42
thank you so much for sharing objects on your rear end with the rest of the world ...

Now, since I already read it, and can't unread it..

Maybe it bit you, and laid an eggsack in your rear, with a billion spider babies inside, just wanting to get out...

How scary would that thought be? ... just to continue in the "i wish i hadn't read that sentence" style ...

Haha, don't you just wish there was a Ctrl+Z in real life?

naimex
27-04-07, 12:38
Haha, don't you just wish there was a Ctrl+Z in real life?

constantly.