PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Vista + Neocron = ?

L0KI
20-04-07, 16:14
Hi all,

I have managed to get my hands on a genuine copy of Vista Ultimate edition.
Before I upgrade to Vista, I just want to ask you guys (The ones of you whom are using Vista) if there are any issues I should expect to encounter with compatability between Vista and Neocron!

Thanks in advance...

CMaster
20-04-07, 16:35
Do a quick search and you should see plenty of info.
Perhaps one of the biggest issues is that the patcher won't work until you change some settings.

William Antrim
20-04-07, 16:39
If this thread is the one youre referring to in the pm then sorry m8, I havent got a scooby about vista. Im still using xp and prolly will be for a long time to come.

L0KI
20-04-07, 16:45
If this thread is the one youre referring to in the pm then sorry m8, I havent got a scooby about vista. Im still using xp and prolly will be for a long time to come.

Lol. Terra forums you noob :D

Seraphin[69]
20-04-07, 17:06
Basically I had no issue with neocron and Vista.

All you need is to set permissions on neocron's dir (full access to all users is cool) and update your drivers to the last (Catalyst 7.4 & Forceware 151.80)

Basically the only pain in the ass about Vista is the performance drop.

L0KI
20-04-07, 17:09
']
Basically the only pain in the ass about Vista is the performance drop.

Really???

Vista is a really tidy OS, with a great interface. Very suprised to hear that it f00ks performance.

Pestilence
20-04-07, 17:32
Neocron Performance on my Vista is good. No Problems. Surprisingly enough, since I use Vista, I had only 2 fatal errors while playin Neocron.

So Vista + Neocron = runs good!

zii
20-04-07, 17:40
It might be running well because it is a fresh installation...

SorkZmok
20-04-07, 18:34
Really???

Vista is a really tidy OS, with a great interface. Very suprised to hear that it f00ks performance.
Well, going from vista back to xp gave me about 30% higher FPS.

Easiest way to go:
2 partitions.
First install XP as usual, then just boot Vista and install that on the other partition. The Vista boot manager should handle both just fine.

Et voila: Vista to fuck around with and XP to play NC. :)

rob444
20-04-07, 20:37
Install Vista and feel how NC works out for you, for me it works well. No compatibility issues here. Don't know if there are any performance drops or not, can't verify that.

If you aren't happy about it I guess you could just put in an XP cd and create dual boot :P.

unreal
20-04-07, 21:49
The only problems apart from the mentioned small permission/security issue I've had were from the first RC releases, where making the Neocron window inactive for more than a few seconds would make the application hang - which wasn't the clients fault. Apart from the microscopic FPS decrease we experience with nearly all games on Vista, Neocron for me actually had better performance. The client ran more stably, and because the TCP/IP stack was improved, I had better performance in that respect too.

Not really sure what the fuss people are making is all about really.

Edit: Forgot to mention, Windowed Mode is actually perfectly stable in Vista as well. On Windows XP and any of my gaming machines, Windowed Mode has always been considerably worse than Full Screen.

rob444
21-04-07, 01:34
And to mention, Vista has better memory management, that could explain why people have less fatals in Vista.

Sanctity
21-04-07, 16:49
Got a freshly bought notebook with vista 64 bits on it and it works like a charm, even better than on my desktop pc. In fact it's the only game that worked for me on the first go without updating any driver.

IceStorm
22-04-07, 01:38
As long as you don't install it under Program Files, it should be ok. I keep all my games in a Games directory, so it wasn't an issue. Vista's file protection stuff is really annoying.

Anywho, I see little difference between Vista and XP as far as NC's concerned. My network connection was already better than most here, so it wasn't an issue under XP and it isn't under Vista.

There was one difference with Vista - the client hit swap faster. I upped my RAM to 4GB (2.99GB usable under Vista), and that fixed that problem. Vista likes to use ALL the RAM in your system and page out where appropriate, but this causes problems for games with large memory footprints. Vista doesn't appear to prioritize the game. Supposedly this is also an issue for S.T.A.L.K.E.R., where the game says don't page this piece out and Vista ignores that suggestion, paging out anyway.

rob444
22-04-07, 16:28
I got 1 GB ram and I can play games such as stalker just fine in Vista. Yes, Vista uses a lot of RAM but some people don't understand (not saying you didn't know this icestorm) that those numbers will greatly decrease when you run a program that needs a lot of memory (such as stalker). Vista's new memory management is called SuperFetch I believe and SuperFetch adepts to how you use your computer so the more you play Stalker the better memory management for that game.

IceStorm
23-04-07, 01:57
I understand that Vista has new memory management, but apparently it doesn't work out so well. I guess Vista's footprint of crap held in RAM is bigger, because NC hit swap faster with Vista at 2GB than it did with XP at 2GB.

El Barto
25-04-07, 01:18
'Ello,

I run NC 2.2 on Windows Vista Home Premium editon (genuine incase someones wondering) and it runs perfectly fine even with two clients running. If you play the game in windowed mode you can alt+tab or flip 3D (think that's what it's called) through different clients and see the game still running.

rob444
25-04-07, 13:26
Oh El Barto, long time no see again :P. (Ice_ from pluto)

unreal
25-04-07, 13:59
'Ello,

I run NC 2.2 on Windows Vista Home Premium editon (genuine incase someones wondering) and it runs perfectly fine even with two clients running. If you play the game in windowed mode you can alt+tab or flip 3D (think that's what it's called) through different clients and see the game still running.Here (http://forum.neocron.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11011)'s an old screenshot (Vista RC1, I think) I uploaded in October last year. I haven't bought Vista yet so I can't upload a newer screenshot, and won't be buying it until there's a real reason to do so (ie, when some sexy DX10 games get released :p). Sexy indeed.