PDA

View Full Version : Any other core2 Duo users get this?

CMaster
17-04-07, 22:30
Basically, I have this problem with windows XP, and it only occurs on my desktop and not my laptop or any other XP machines I am aware of. My suspicion is to blame the processor but I could be in error. I do suspect something hardware realted however.

Anyway, basically the problem is this: every so often, a program locks up. Its not great, but it happens. Hey no problem, ctrl-alt-del, kill the program, get on with it, right?
Except that I can't kill the program, or interact with anything at all. I can hit ctrl-alt-del and bring up the task manager. Or ctrl-esc and bring up the start menu. Or hit my mouse buttons and bring up the logitech quickchanger. Etc etc.
But I can't do anything with them! I can see that processor usage is normally only 40-50% by this hung processes, but its impossible to kill them. Shutting down can't be reached. Etc. Eventual getout is always the power button.
Initally this happened with any crash at all, until I disabled windows error reporting entirley. Now it only happens when I want to kill a hung process.

Jodo
18-04-07, 00:57
Hmm, I've only this last week got my new PC with Core Duo and had no problems yet. A friend of mine has had his for a few weeks now and he hasn't mentioned anything like that. I'm seeing him in the morning so I'll ask him about it. He runs his own I.T. company so he'll know what he's talking about anyway.

jini
18-04-07, 06:24
I am getting what you say C. But since I only play NC with my XP PC, I would say its not the cpu that locks it, but some problems with netlag. One or the other, the OS SHOULD allow you to kill the process thats causing the freezing. So you have some network lag that cause something (freeze) and an XP problem that doesnt let task manager to kill the application that caused the trouble. Worst case is, when all you can do is reboot

On my Mac OSX box, whenever an application crashes for whatever reason, you can always kill it no matter what and relaunch it. This whole procedure dont last more than mere seconds once you decide to kill an app.

IceStorm
18-04-07, 09:09
Vista likes to crash random apps on my C2D box, but I get a dialog box for it. I can't really say if it's Vista or the box itself (OCed by 25%).

Don't recall XP being pissed in the manner you described, and I ran XP on the box for about eight months prior to Vista.

naimex
18-04-07, 09:53
Vista likes to crash random apps on my C2D box, but I get a dialog box for it. I can't really say if it's Vista or the box itself (OCed by 25%).

Don't recall XP being pissed in the manner you described, and I ran XP on the box for about eight months prior to Vista.

Vista hangs in everything not designed specifically with vista in mind, if it takes longer than expected to load.

IceStorm
18-04-07, 09:56
This isn't a hang, it's Vista reporting an app is not responding, things like AVG and ATI's Vista drivers/control panel.

I think I've only had Vista hang once or twice, usually when running an old game that needs video driver/affinity tweaks (System Shock 2, for one).

naimex
18-04-07, 11:50
This isn't a hang, it's Vista reporting an app is not responding, things like AVG and ATI's Vista drivers/control panel.

I think I've only had Vista hang once or twice, usually when running an old game that needs video driver/affinity tweaks (System Shock 2, for one).

I've had:

HOMM5
NC2
WOW
AVG
NVIDIA
WinAMP
BF2142
BF2
CS (Steam in general)
CnC-G:ZH

and a lot of others to report client is not responding.

It doesn't matter what it is, if the computer hangs, and / or takes longer than expected to load, then the application isnt responding, because it couldn't continue what it was doing, because it was waiting for something that didn't come, because the system had hung.

zii
18-04-07, 12:00
On my core due 1 the windows manager often hangs with symptons reported above. However, I can still do a ctl-alt-del and kill explorer.exe and run it again.

IceStorm
18-04-07, 12:10
It doesn't matter what it is, if the computer hangs, and / or takes longer than expected to load, then the application isnt responding, because it couldn't continue what it was doing, because it was waiting for something that didn't come, because the system had hung.
Hang typically means the system has locked up and is nonresponsive. In Vista, that rarely happens for me. What does happen is that apps stop responding or crash and Vista throws up an error message stating as much.

Regardless, we're talking about Vista and the problems CMaster is having are with XP. I can hang XP with a couple older games, but for the many months I used XP on my C2D prior to installing Vista, I didn't have the problems he's describing.

CMaster, have you tried running a couple instances of Prime95 overnight, or Memtest86?

CMaster
18-04-07, 12:13
Hang typically means the system has locked up and is nonresponsive. In Vista, that rarely happens for me. What does happen is that apps stop responding or crash and Vista throws up an error message stating as much.

Regardless, we're talking about Vista and the problems CMaster is having are with XP. I can hang XP with a couple older games, but for the many months I used XP on my C2D prior to installing Vista, I didn't have the problems he's describing.

Which suggests the source of the problem is elsewhere.
I'm going to try sticking my mouse back on PS/2(could it be intterupt related - its a problem with response within apps to controls - they still sit their and do their jobs fine), and then maybe track down some good memory testing tools. Got any to recomend?

IceStorm
18-04-07, 12:18
Which suggests the source of the problem is elsewhere.
I'm going to try sticking my mouse back on PS/2(could it be intterupt related - its a problem with response within apps to controls - they still sit their and do their jobs fine), and then maybe track down some good memory testing tools. Got any to recomend?Yeah, I was editing my response and suggested two instances of Prime95 or running Memtest86 overnight.

If you think it's USB, unplug all the peripherals except the ones you need. USB failing after a period of time is something that has plagued my main machines for years. The issue has to do with running full speed and high speed devices on the same USB hubs. The really short version is that virtually no USB hubs properly handle full speed and high speed devices simultaneously. I ended up adding a USB PCI card and dividing out the devices so that the full speed devices are on the mobo and the high speed devices are on the PCI card. It's helped.

rob444
18-04-07, 12:52
I've had:

HOMM5
NC2
WOW
AVG
NVIDIA
WinAMP
BF2142
BF2
CS (Steam in general)
CnC-G:ZH

and a lot of others to report client is not responding.

Hmm interesting, I'm using Vista and...
Heroes of Might and Magic 5 works great.
NC2 works great.
WOW works great.
BF2142 works great.
BF2 works great.
Steam works great (HL2, CSS etc.)
C&C Generals Zero Hour works great.

I've not experienced any crashes that are Vista related in the above games.

naimex
18-04-07, 14:11
Hmm interesting, I'm using Vista and...
Heroes of Might and Magic 5 works great.
NC2 works great.
WOW works great.
BF2142 works great.
BF2 works great.
Steam works great (HL2, CSS etc.)
C&C Generals Zero Hour works great.

I've not experienced any crashes that are Vista related in the above games.

they dont happen everytime either, far from it, but i have had atleast 1 application is not responding in each of those, and plenty of others.

its usually connected to an alt+tab, or a long load time, for a new area or major combat in progress.

rob444
18-04-07, 16:17
Hmm weird, must be something hardware related?

I've experienced crashes in BF2, BF2142 and Neocron 2 but those crashes are known issues and doesn't seem to be OS related since they happen in Windows 2000/XP as well.

Alt+Tabbing seems to work over here though, HL2 engine based games are pretty slow in alt+tabbing I must admit but it has always been like that for me :/.

naimex
18-04-07, 17:08
Hmm weird, must be something hardware related?

I've experienced crashes in BF2, BF2142 and Neocron 2 but those crashes are known issues and doesn't seem to be OS related since they happen in Windows 2000/XP as well.

Alt+Tabbing seems to work over here though, HL2 engine based games are pretty slow in alt+tabbing I must admit but it has always been like that for me :/.

Something else that makes me wonder is:

i have 4x 1 gb sticks in it. in 2 dual channel pairs of 1 gb making each of the 2 dual channel an effective 2 gb stick.

i have 2x 2x 1 gb dual channel.
in boot it only reads 3 gb.
in manual it says it can take 4x 1 gb, or 2x 2x1gb dual channel.
in windows it says i have 4 gb physical memory.
but it only uses 3 gb of it.

all programs and applications in windows see 4 gb, but only use 3 gb, but the motherboard only sees 3 gb, even though there is 4 gb.

its puzzling me quite a bit.

El Barto
25-04-07, 01:20
'Ello,

I'm running a Core 2 Duo and haven't had that problem yet, but I'm running Windows Vista so maybe something to do with the way XP handles some hardware or drivers.

Asurmen Spec Op
25-04-07, 03:41
Something else that makes me wonder is:

i have 4x 1 gb sticks in it. in 2 dual channel pairs of 1 gb making each of the 2 dual channel an effective 2 gb stick.

i have 2x 2x 1 gb dual channel.
in boot it only reads 3 gb.
in manual it says it can take 4x 1 gb, or 2x 2x1gb dual channel.
in windows it says i have 4 gb physical memory.
but it only uses 3 gb of it.

all programs and applications in windows see 4 gb, but only use 3 gb, but the motherboard only sees 3 gb, even though there is 4 gb.

its puzzling me quite a bit.
Update your bios

naimex
25-04-07, 07:42
Update your bios

no bios updates for my mobo since 2005.

its an

aopen i915 ga-e or pa-e

ocman1
25-04-07, 16:06
As above posted a bios upgrade would help if available, but saving that, you could change your memory to see if it works i.e. take one out and test it and see if you get similar issues. You could also just buy another motherboard and with today's prices, it would likely be pretty cheap. Try newegg.com and you will see what I mean.

L0KI
25-04-07, 16:28
EDIT - wrong thread. Delete if needs be

naimex
26-04-07, 08:23
As above posted a bios upgrade would help if available, but saving that, you could change your memory to see if it works i.e. take one out and test it and see if you get similar issues. You could also just buy another motherboard and with today's prices, it would likely be pretty cheap. Try newegg.com and you will see what I mean.

it is very expensive when you want something besides the normal market junk.

think i've had 1 motherboard since 1998, that cost less than 1000 kr. (100 pounds or 134 euros).

now dont get me wrong, i dont go for the expensive ones, to make it expensive.

but usually the cheap crap just dont have those extra ports i need.

--------------------------------------------

As for the testing of memory.

Then:

Block 1 works and gives 1 gb
Block 2 works and gives 1 gb
Block 3 works and gives 1 gb
Block 4 works and gives 1 gb

Motherboard says it allows, 4 single channel, 2 single channel and a dual channel or 2 dual channel.

I have 2 of the same kind of memory, but not setup for dual channel from factory, but theyve always been read by motherboard as dual channel ram.

Then i have 2 of the same kind, bought in a dual channel kit.

If i have 3 blocks in, no matter how i put them in the holes.

I have 3 gb memory in boot, and 3 gb in windows.

If i have 4 blocks in, no matter how i align the pairs, it shows 3 gb in boot, but 4 gb in windows.

(Windows XP SP2 and Vista Ultimate tested).

But windows will only use the 3 gb + page, even though it reads 4 gb.

And when i look at whats connected to the computer, i can see the information on each of the 4 blocks of ram, so it is most certainly aware that they are all there, and what they all are.

The problem with a new motherboard is that I'm still using DDR1 ram blocks.

So if i change the motherboard, i can most likely get one that allows socket 775 cpus.

But I won't be able to get a decent one that still uses DDR1 blocks.

And most of the new ones will be running SATA2 (300), which isnt really a problem since it just declocks itself to 150, but still, what use is it having SATA2 if you're only gonna use SATA1 on it.

Which ends me up with atleast having to buy motherboard + memory, and most likely motherboard + memory + hdd, and if i'm very unlucky, motherboard + memory + hdd + cpu, and then since I'm already at it, it's a small step to go all out with motherboard + memory + hdd + cpu + gfx.

and then it's suddenly not something you just as a normal unemployed person can afford just like that.

So unfortunately it is a bit more complex than "just" buying some lowgrade motherboard.

Mainly because of my vanity with what i buy.