PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista gfx issues

SorkZmok
11-04-07, 09:05
Alright.
I got me a nice new notebook with Vista installed on it. My problem is that i can play NC just fine as long as i stay inside. Once i get close to just the smallest patch of vegetation NC gets unplayable. My fps outside start to stutter, every 0.5 to 1 second my fps go down to 1-15, then jump back to 40ish.

Anyone else had that problem with Vista? Or is it rather my laptop? AMD Turion 64, 1GB ram, ATI Xpress 1100. Or should i just screw Vista and install XP 64?

Because i really can't pvp this way. And i don't want to be restricted to zonewhoring at the MB entrance. :(

NS_CHROME54
11-04-07, 09:11
Sounds like your card might have Hardware T&L issues. Granted, I can't really say for sure.

Sounds like you might benefit from seting your laptop for dual, or even triple booting. 32 bit XP on one partition, 64 bit on another, and Vista on the last.

SorkZmok
11-04-07, 10:00
Sounds like your card might have Hardware T&L issues. Granted, I can't really say for sure.

Sounds like you might benefit from seting your laptop for dual, or even triple booting. 32 bit XP on one partition, 64 bit on another, and Vista on the last.
Yah, prolly gonna try and setup XP 64bit and vista on 2 partitions. If only VIsta wouldnt need about a million GB of hd space. :lol:

naimex
11-04-07, 11:31
Updated directx ?

Tried dx7 mode instead of dx9 ?

Using updated drivers? Catalyst or whatever its called or Omega drivers.

(dont think nvidia works on ati's).

tried lowering vegetation to 0 (nc1 style for good fps) ?

SorkZmok
11-04-07, 11:33
Updated directx ?

Tried dx7 mode instead of dx9 ?

Using updated drivers? Catalyst or whatever its called or Omega drivers.

(dont think nvidia works on ati's).

tried lowering vegetation to 0 (nc1 style for good fps) ?
I'll try dx7 when i get home.
And i don't think the omega drivers work with Vista. Or do they? Anyone knows?

Worst is, you can't turn vegetation off. It's always there. You can only lower the range where it shows. :(

Seraphin[69]
11-04-07, 12:30
7.3 Catalyst (beta) for Vista 32 bits :

http://downloads.guru3d.com/downloadget.php?id=1608&file=4&evp=bc9cb97cad14bfa66379166a41f6a6ae

For Vista 64 bits :

http://downloads.guru3d.com/downloadget.php?id=1607&file=4&evp=3693abd7c39708239365185ee331f12e

(copy & paste in your navigator, didn't want to post HTML links in the forum)

SorkZmok
11-04-07, 12:51
Thanks, i'll give it a shot when i get home.

Seraphin[69]
11-04-07, 13:37
Most of the time the problem with Vista are because there is NO released (non beta) driver.

I'm still waiting for an official 8800 GTX driver from Nvidia ATM (still getting GFX bugs, GFX crash sometimes and... NO optimisations... hopefully the GPU is powerful !)

Guess it's the same for ATI/AMD

Opatagio
13-04-07, 16:24
Had the same problem but with my stationary computer. A64 X2 3800+ with MSI Diamond mobo and Diamond gfx running on WinXP.

I thought the problem was the gfx drivers for a long period of time until it hit me. Dual core fucks up NC, or .... NC cant handly dual-core. So I went to the AMD site and downloaded their dual-core optimizer. Since then I had no problem what so ever with fps dropping to 0 ever damn second.

www.amd.com -> Support and Downloads -> Utlities, Drivers & Updates -> There you make your selection. Remember to reboot after successfull install.

rob444
13-04-07, 16:41
Seraphim is there something I've missed here? I thought they removed the BETA tag on their catalyst releases for Vista since late january?

I know that Nvidia drivers are beta, ATI is not however..

Powerpunsh
13-04-07, 17:03
vista takes on my comp more than 500mb ram. How much ram do u guys got? I think 1 gig are not enough :P
btw: u can watch the ressourcenmanager and u should deactivate some services.

naimex
13-04-07, 17:04
vista takes on my comp more than 500mb ram. how much ram do u guys got??

4gb ddr 3200

Powerpunsh
13-04-07, 17:07
4gb ddr 3200
Do u run vista?

rob444
13-04-07, 18:04
I run Vista with 1 GB RAM and it's fine.

You can't think that if Vista chunks up 80% of your RAM, 20% is only left for gaming. It's not how it works. Vista has introduced a new feature which frees up RAM when needed. So those 20% will become err, wild guess here, 50-80%.

edit: It's called "Windows SuperFetch", can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/performance.mspx

naimex
13-04-07, 19:36
Do u run vista?

vista ultimate retail.

Pestilence
13-04-07, 19:41
I run Vista with 1 GB RAM and it's fine.

dito. Works good for me.

unreal
13-04-07, 20:54
The only problem I had with Neocron and Vista was in the later beta releases. When in Windowed mode and you made the window inactive, the window would go black after a moment or two, and would then hang, and of course the process would eventually end up being killed by the user as suggested. It never happened in the earlier beta releases, and seems to have been fixed since it went retail. Not to mention it probably wasn't a Neocron-specific issue, though I never had anything else installed at the time to make sure.

Apart from that slight problem, gaming on Vista hasn't been bad. A minute amount of FPS loss in most games, except Neocron actually ran and played more stable for me in general, and unlike Windowed Mode on Windows XP, I get stable rather than jumpy FPS there too.

As for memory. Most people seem to have grown accustom to thinking that free memory is better. What's the point of having RAM if half of it is never used by the majority of people? Vista just makes better use of your memory to make things more effectively.

Pestilence
13-04-07, 20:57
The only problem I had with Neocron and Vista was in the later beta releases. When in Windowed mode and you made the window inactive, the window would go black after a moment or two, and would then hang, and of course the process would eventually end up being killed by the user as suggested. It never happened in the earlier beta releases, and seems to have been fixed since it went retail. Not to mention it probably wasn't a Neocron-specific issue, though I never had anything else installed at the time to make sure.

I still have this issue when using Xfire + Neocron or Teamspeak Overlay + Neocron. When those two are not running, everything is fine. Dunno how to solve this, so I don't use XFire and TSO atm.

rob444
13-04-07, 21:00
Pestilence, you can turn off the Xfire hooking (causes performance loss and crashes in some games), go into Tools>Options>Chat[TAB] and uncheck the "Show chat messages in game".

Pestilence
13-04-07, 21:25
I'll try that, thx.

Edit: works like a charm now :)

rob444
13-04-07, 23:22
Glad it worked :).