PDA

View Full Version : WoC (again)

Dribble Joy
02-04-07, 20:31
This isn't about WoC in it's current forms, but an idea for mechanics of how it could (and the way it should have worked in the first place).

I allways imagined WoC would be more about skill/abilities than item reqs. I don't mind item reqs, it seems perfectly reasonable to have WoC req items, but the skill side is somewhat lacking.

My initial ideas for WoC skills were, if not restrictive in their choices, a little mechanical. You simply got a cirtain skill at each level or a current skill improved.

This rethink aims to free up the old choices and to an extent, incorporate the current game mechanics into it.

When you gain a WoC skill, you have a little line above the main stat bars in the skill window stating what level and skill you have WoC in.
The idea is that as with the int/str/etc. bars the WoC bar has the double arrow that opens up the skill listing on the right hand section of the window with the subskills.

Each WoC level you attain grants you a number of points, the exact number isn't important, but five, like the other skills, seems reasonable. Then for each WoC type you have a number of skills you can invest in, just like normal skills.

For example in my original idea, in dex you had things like 'Cat-Fall' (reduced fall damage), increased jump height, lowered sta use from running. In str you had generally reduced sta use or the ability to open locked items with brute force. Higher skilling in each would increase it's power.
So for example in Cat-Fall each point spent would reduce fall dmg by 5%, so with 20 points spent you'd be immune to fall dmg.
(Toying with the idea that for any skill maximum effect would be attained at full WoC-point skilling, but I'd also like a degree of freedom to attain reasonable effects in a number of skills)

Thoughts? Ideas for skills (as long as they don't affect overall balance)?

Jagrfelm
02-04-07, 20:42
That sounds nice, DJ. Im for it.

/signed

Asurmen Spec Op
02-04-07, 22:25
I really liked your skill ideas for WoC, I find that things like catfall and other cool things would be alot better than woc weapons and what not, because it looks to me as it is a requirment for PVP in a few classes right now.

awkward silence
02-04-07, 22:34
I dunno... I certainly dont like someone being immune to fall damage. Seems
like a bit too much of an advantadge.

Apocalypsox
02-04-07, 22:58
I LIKE IT! Dex one should be something along the line of Uber Reflexes decreasing reload time of all weapons. I still like my Reaper though just cause the model is uber sexy.

Asurmen Spec Op
02-04-07, 23:08
I dunno... I certainly dont like someone being immune to fall damage. Seems
like a bit too much of an advantadge.
it wasnt immunity, DJ might still have the link to that post

Nullvoid
03-04-07, 00:12
As sexy as the armours look, and even though the weapons do bring a little more diversity, this idea of additional bonus skills seems great!

Dribble Joy
03-04-07, 00:33
it wasnt immunity, DJ might still have the link to that post
Actually it was. Though that would only occur at WoC 5. I don't see immunity as that much of a overpowering benefit.

Here's an idea though, rather than a dmg reduction, an increase in the distance that you don't take fall dmg from, so say 5m per point skilled.

Other ideas were:
Increased drug duration, increased shield duration, increase in use/pick up object range (psi skill - telekenisis).

yuuki
03-04-07, 01:29
i think basically the idea's great.
would be nice to have skills that come in handy, but don't kill the overall balance.

i would think of an int skill that let's you ress/const multiple items at once (especially stuff like drugs etc.)

or one that enables hackers to stealth(pvm only) in hn and thus lets em reach their destination faster/easier.

mebbe another one that would allow a barterer to buy/sell stuff directly into/from his gogu(mebbe even cabinets in his primary appy) and shows him the total sum instead of spamming his chat.

or an int woc skill that allows you to hack a wb or another mechanical creature(mebbe better a downed one) and gain control of it for some time (tho damage would have to be adjusted i assume :p)

how about a str woc skill that would allow you to inject an overdose of healing nanites and would give you an instant drugflash (the one with which you can't move) for like 30 or 45 secs, after which you will be set to full health again.?
(would be handy for solohunting and stuff like that as you need ages to heal up without a ppu, but wouldn't be an option in a duell or sthing like that)

a dex woc skill that would allow you to climb steeper mountains, thus allowing you to reach places other ppl need a glider for (should be slow tho, so you couldn't escape a fight by running up a map border).

mebbe a psi woc skill that would allow you to let your soul wander out of your body and make some reconaissance with it (pretty much like an observer drone)

or a psi woc skill that would allow you to see in the dark (as spells can't be modded with a flashlight :D)

generally speaking skills that are fun/convenient, but don't give you any edge in pvp whatsoever. (unlike some of the must have woc weapons that are in game atm)
oh btw that's why i wouldn't want a reload speed enhancing skill as it directly increases your dot.

Dribble Joy
03-04-07, 14:24
While I like a lot of those ideas, these days when I come up with an idea I try to incorporate it into the current game mechanics as much as possible, so as little new code or wholesale reworks of systems are needed. For example the dual-weild idea I had a while ago, it would only require a modeling change, no alterations to any other part of the system.

how about a str woc skill that would allow you to inject an overdose of healing nanites and would give you an instant drugflash (the one with which you can't move) for like 30 or 45 secs, after which you will be set to full health again.?
Could work, but it depends on how it's implemented. A WoC reqed nanite tool? Again having a special effect come into play once you hit over 150 nanaite effect would have issues.

or a psi woc skill that would allow you to see in the dark (as spells can't be modded with a flashlight :D)
This I would like. Though again how to get it working? Perhaps hitting the flashlight numpad key at any time would activate it.

a dex woc skill that would allow you to climb steeper mountains
This I actually had in my previous WoC idea, say an increase of 0.5 degrees per point skilled up to a max of 5 degrees (which would be a significant increase).

With tradeskill WoC abilites again we have to be careful, we don't want 'Need a WoC cster/resser' coming over trade. So increased slot chance, item stat or other things similar aren't really what we want to see.
Process time reduction would also not be that desirable.
Perhaps lube/gunk/gel use reductions, 2% per point spent?

Dezh
04-04-07, 16:35
Nice idea DJ. signed

silent000
04-04-07, 17:25
Another great idea from DJ

Dribble Joy
04-04-07, 18:57
Cheers lads.

Any more ideas? I lost pretty much all the previous ideas from my 'Big Fix' thread when my comp exploded last month so the ones above are only the ones I remember.