PDA

View Full Version : A Question to the development team.

kane
27-03-07, 21:48
A Question to the development team.

So far we seen hardly any changes besides world changes like new items weapons new gui and some tweaking with weapon dmg and such. Things that are common. These things prob a lot them in a config file or a sql type of database.

I know somethings been programmed. But heres the question on our minds.

When NC Lost the main programmers did they not comment well enough? Did they write it badly to the point you don't understand many things?

Almost all ur changes are always the same. Things that don't really have much impact of the core of the game.

A simple answer would be nice fill us long timers in on whats really happening in the background. I know some work full time jobs and what not and NC does not bring in profit.

But really where do you see neocron in 5 years from now??

Thanks

elGringo
27-03-07, 23:03
Please don't take this personally - it's not ment as a rant :)

...but, clearly you have not followed the balancing project, nor seen it evolve.

The changes that were made are of far, ...far deeper impact than just juggling numbers in some .ini or .def files. As has been stated, major parts of the core PvP/PvE code had to be restructured / largly altered. The changes that are actually notable ingame, dont show the amount of work that went into this - I agree. Of course, you can still click n' shoot ...yet this very mechanism could've been rewritten from scratch.

Why invent the wheel again - shooting stuff, inflicting dmg, having resists worked prior as well?!?

It was a major mess... a patchwork that was somehow maintained in a playable state - game mechanisms were acting more or less random, causing a lot of problems with updating neocron. Thus the messy parts of the codebase were replaced or tidied up.
This means, the changes you can actually see, feel, experience ingame, are just the tip of the iceberg. Instead of putting more and more ballast on a largely instable and ailing codebase, they decided to first fix the core, then move on.

A wise move imo ...with a working core, adding new stuff - tweaking the balance etc. is prly much easier - meaning: more working content in the longterm view.

kane
27-03-07, 23:09
all they do is balancing projects... Id like see some core bugs fixed.

elGringo
27-03-07, 23:16
all they do is balancing projects... Id like see some core bugs fixed.

wouldn't you agree on 'combat game mechanics' being a core part of the game? :p

Concerning Fatals & Syncs ... I dont expect them to vanish, ever.
Unless the entire game is being redone from scratch. ;)

Vid Gamer
27-03-07, 23:18
even if KK didnt understand the old source code for major fixing they wouldnt just come here and say it anyway, how bad would that make them look!

kane
27-03-07, 23:34
even if KK didnt understand the old source code for major fixing they wouldnt just come here and say it anyway, how bad would that make them look!

You think it could get any worse honestly?

calim
27-03-07, 23:57
Concerning Fatals & Syncs ... I dont expect them to vanish, ever.

I hope storm will not fall on me because i write things that KK's team has already red often enough :)

Fatals et Syncs, that's very hard issues linked to netcode or something deep in the game engine... i think there is no hope - not that KK didn't want but they can't - to fix it.however i'll give you some very smalls fracks old bugs/lacks of features which seems - from where I am - not really hard to fix with the greatest advantage to heat up each player's hearts (like for PayPal).

- P1, elevator bug (where are you ? i don't see you ? just sit ...)
- You can loopback-GR'ing, and money is deduced (come on !)
- Navray no senses ... (i'm noob, i'm stuck and the navray doesn't help)
- the "you paid XX nc ; you paid XX nc ; you paid XX nc ; you paid XX nc " loop-displayed bug
- when you roll a faction, you have to zone to see the 300k deduced (that's really nothing)
- trading stuff bug... when all the stuff disapears with no apparent reason and you have to drop items again on the window.
- inventory stacks !
- you can't resize NPC's traders window list : who has never noticed it was way to small for certains traders ? i spent so much time on my mouse wheel ...

I forget a lot ... it's all known issue from many years, and all of these has no really immediate reasons to be fixed : but here it is the bill ... a huge list of things like that which let the player think "do they really maintain this game ?"

Toxen
28-03-07, 00:01
You think it could get any worse honestly?

Oh it could get far worse, the sync and fatals issue will never completely go until they completely replace the engine and netcode some of the causes are just buried too deep to be found. Seeing as KK probably has neither the cash nor staff to do that kind of extensive overhaul of the game while maintaining existing versions of the game. So you really have 3 options, put up with it and get on with playing neocron, leave, get as many people as you can to get neocron accounts so KK gets a big cash influx, hires more staff and builds a new engine for neocron.

nobby
28-03-07, 00:19
get as many people as you can to get neocron accounts so KK gets a big cash influx, hires more staff and builds a new engine for neocron.

I've managed to get 10 different people to pay for this game.

I don't think I can do anybetter...

I think KK need to seriously get their Marketing done and thought out properly to get more players in.

Dogface
28-03-07, 00:22
Ugh I wish people would stop talking about that like recreating something like the engine is actually possible.. Face it, NC is on it's last legs (it has been for a long time in my opinion) and 2.2 and KK are kicking out one of them from underneath it. How much more do you think it's going to take before it just isn't worth it anymore?

[edit]

Nobby, there's no point advertising NC at the moment. If I was a new player I wouldn't think twice before quitting if I was to start playing at this time.

Nullvoid
28-03-07, 00:45
If I was a new player I wouldn't think twice before quitting if I was to start playing at this time.

And the problems that are most likely driving these players away (netcode, endless syncing) are the ones that are least likely to ever be fixed :/

Vid Gamer
28-03-07, 00:53
Honestly, i think the main reason we are still here is cause of the pvp and the atmosphere the game brings. The fighting is awesome, and the atmosphere of the game is also quite awesome compared to others, but thats about it.

Nightwing
28-03-07, 01:07
And the problems that are most likely driving these players away (netcode, endless syncing) are the ones that are least likely to ever be fixed :/

But those problems can be ignored IF the gameplay warrants it, otherwise NC would be dead already.

Nullvoid
28-03-07, 01:39
They can be ignored quite successfully yes, but there is always the little niggling thought of just how much better the game could be with those two things in particular having been dealt with.

Eternal Pink
28-03-07, 01:54
Oh it could get far worse, the sync and fatals issue will never completely go until they completely replace the engine and netcode some of the causes are just buried too deep to be found. Seeing as KK probably has neither the cash nor staff to do that kind of extensive overhaul of the game while maintaining existing versions of the game. So you really have 3 options, put up with it and get on with playing neocron, leave, get as many people as you can to get neocron accounts so KK gets a big cash influx, hires more staff and builds a new engine for neocron.

I have probably not played NC as long as most of the people here, i have however been internet gaming for a number of years now, you know the one conclusion i can draw from that experience? No internet game i have ever played is stable, so expecting stability from a internet game is a bit like expecting a nun to put out, you can think about it, you may even dream about it, but its never going to happen.

a4nic8er
28-03-07, 02:01
I have probably not played NC as long as most of the people here, i have however been internet gaming for a number of years now, you know the one conclusion i can draw from that experience? No internet game i have ever played is stable, so expecting stability from a internet game is a bit like expecting a nun to put out, you can think about it, you may even dream about it, but its never going to happen.
I played CoH for a while - had only one crash in 6 months. I call that stable.

kane
28-03-07, 02:24
Games I found more stable that I played.
Lineage 2
World of Warcraft
Anarchy Online
Endless Ages
ok fuck this I can go on every mmorpg I played that had more then 50 people online was more stable..

Some of them had slow starts or bad patch days but nothing like no stop crit errors and such,

Brammers
28-03-07, 02:41
I know somethings been programmed. But heres the question on our minds.

When NC Lost the main programmers did they not comment well enough? Did they write it badly to the point you don't understand many things?

Almost all ur changes are always the same. Things that don't really have much impact of the core of the game.

I guess you are not in the software engineering trade.

For any large scale programmin project learning and understanding how the code works takes time. KK had to rip out a big chunk of code and add new code to allow them to balance the game. Thats what KK spent the last year doing.

Now I've looked at old and new code, and whether there is comments or not, you still end up debugging the code in your mind just to understand why the code is doing X and why the original coder coded it this way.