PDA

View Full Version : Neocron - An Exposition (a.k.a. Rant)

NS_CHROME54
24-03-07, 07:50
Neocron

It's a term that has meant many things to many people over the years. For some, it means an interactive collection of scripts and images. To others, it means a way to pass time. To others still, it represents something deeper, a mechanism by which we can do many things, such as challenge ourselves, build relationships, and create a sort of virtual existance by which we can escape the banality of our boring, seemingly interminible lives.

For a certain group of people in Hannover, Germany, a collective of people known as Reakktor Media, Neocron represents a labor of love. It is almost a child to them. Though perhaps this child's progress in life has been hampered by things such as low budgets, personal conflicts, and the pressure of having to live up to the expectations of people who will never truly be happy with it, it has found its place in the world. Perhaps it will never be monolithic, such as its peers World of Warcraft, Star Wars Galaxies, and Guild Wars, but it doesn't need to be. It has shown its potential to the people who will truly get the most out of it. And even today, the creators of this being guide it further, trying to make it all it can be, as any good parent does.

For me, Neocron represents something... something that words fail me to describe. It has been with me for a long time now. I'm a man of 20 now, but when I first discovered it, I was merely a boy of 14. You could say that I've grown up with Neocron. It has been a companion to me almost as far back as I can truly remember. Like all friends, we inevitably seperated. I went my seperate way in life, and I didn't have time for it anymore. I changed in many ways, matured, became a person who was more whole, more able to contribute in my own way to society.

And yet, here I am. I've done a lot in the past few years, been a member of many communities. But, I say truthfully, nothing has ever been able to fill the void like Neocron. I moved away from my hometown nearly 3 years ago. I am not the same as my friends from that place, and neither are they. Yet, I still call them my friends, and they still call me theirs. If I were to ever return to that place again, I know that I would find my way there again. It wouldn't be as if I had never left, because things change. People change. However, the potential is still there. And that is what I feel now. I felt a longing for this place, so I have returned. It won't be the same as before, because neither Neocron nor I are the same as we were when I left. But, God willing, I will find it as much a fulfilling experience as I did then. So I'm back, my commitment to this game renewed. Hopefully, soon I will have once again found my place within the community that has evolved since.

It feels good to be home.

kane
24-03-07, 08:40
well said. I have lots negative rants cuz I want see more for Neocron more in the advertisement ;) that and I'm just a prick. But I will agree I been playing neocron about 5 years now and there is nothing out there at all that makes me want come back again and again like Neocron does.

I will be here many more years I just devs keep it going or at least willing give out there server files once that time comes in few years or many years from now.

But anyways NC ftw and always will be :) :angel:

RusSki
24-03-07, 10:47
beautifully said.

hatmankh
24-03-07, 12:48
Neocron

It's a term that has meant many things to many people over the years. For some, it means an interactive collection of scripts and images. To others, it means a way to pass time. To others still, it represents something deeper, a mechanism by which we can do many things, such as challenge ourselves, build relationships, and create a sort of virtual existance by which we can escape the banality of our boring, seemingly interminible lives.

For a certain group of people in Hannover, Germany, a collective of people known as Reakktor Media, Neocron represents a labor of love. It is almost a child to them. Though perhaps this child's progress in life has been hampered by things such as low budgets, personal conflicts, and the pressure of having to live up to the expectations of people who will never truly be happy with it, it has found its place in the world. Perhaps it will never be monolithic, such as its peers World of Warcraft, Star Wars Galaxies, and Guild Wars, but it doesn't need to be. It has shown its potential to the people who will truly get the most out of it. And even today, the creators of this being guide it further, trying to make it all it can be, as any good parent does.

For me, Neocron represents something... something that words fail me to describe. It has been with me for a long time now. I'm a man of 20 now, but when I first discovered it, I was merely a boy of 14. You could say that I've grown up with Neocron. It has been a companion to me almost as far back as I can truly remember. Like all friends, we inevitably seperated. I went my seperate way in life, and I didn't have time for it anymore. I changed in many ways, matured, became a person who was more whole, more able to contribute in my own way to society.

And yet, here I am. I've done a lot in the past few years, been a member of many communities. But, I say truthfully, nothing has ever been able to fill the void like Neocron. I moved away from my hometown nearly 3 years ago. I am not the same as my friends from that place, and neither are they. Yet, I still call them my friends, and they still call me theirs. If I were to ever return to that place again, I know that I would find my way there again. It wouldn't be as if I had never left, because things change. People change. However, the potential is still there. And that is what I feel now. I felt a longing for this place, so I have returned. It won't be the same as before, because neither Neocron nor I are the same as we were when I left. But, God willing, I will find it as much a fulfilling experience as I did then. So I'm back, my commitment to this game renewed. Hopefully, soon I will have once again found my place within the community that has evolved since.

It feels good to be home.

Its a game... Not a person.... Are you deranged? :eek:
Sure its a great game but thats all it is... a game

Napalm82
24-03-07, 13:29
NC_CHROME:
That was great and i agree.

NC was my first serious MMO back when it first hit retail and its a game i can always return to and still be entertained, sure the game changes, people come and go, people change as well....but somewhere deep down its still the good ol' NeoCron where i ran around plaza getting lost all the time having the time of my life.

Even if it would be great to have a lot more people playing, i dont hate the current population, with this low'ish pop you get to know other people in a completely other way.

- Napalm

Coid
24-03-07, 13:45
[ edited ] to the post....DAMN that was actually touching....I must say you did a good job. [ edited ] -edit- OOOOHHHHH damn hatman, that comment coming from a newcomer....oh man u got me heated.... *tries to calm down*

Napalm82
24-03-07, 13:50
[ edited ]to the post....DAMN that was actually touching....I must say you did a good job. [ edited ] -edit- OOOOHHHHH damn hatman, that comment coming from a newcomer....oh man u got me heated.... *tries to calm down*

he cant help it, he's new and doesnt know any better :D

- Napalm

Coid
24-03-07, 13:53
haha well once i get back ingame, hes made an enemy for life....rofl whats his ingame names? ;)

RogerRamjet
24-03-07, 14:11
Brought a tear to my eye.

Coid
24-03-07, 14:17
for being 20 years old, hes good with words unlike me ;)

Dribble Joy
24-03-07, 14:21
I thought it was going to be a rant....

Wish my literary fluency was of the same quality, I mearly tend to over vocabularise....

Nidhogg
24-03-07, 14:24
Yeah, where's the rant? Off topic, closed.

N

P.S. I kid! Good thread.

Dogface
24-03-07, 15:19

I'm with this guy :wtf:

Coid
24-03-07, 15:57
I'm with this guy :wtf:
are you depressed? games are games...yes...but the people who play them ARENT. Read the post closely....

kane
24-03-07, 16:35
[ edited ]to the post....DAMN that was actually touching....I must say you did a good job. [ edited ] -edit- OOOOHHHHH damn hatman, that comment coming from a newcomer....oh man u got me heated.... *tries to calm down*
I'm going to pwn you!

Dogface
24-03-07, 16:48
are you depressed? games are games...yes...but the people who play them ARENT. Read the post closely....

I tried reading the post but it made me want to gag. (No disrespect to the poster though :p )

Lord Mansion
24-03-07, 17:03
[ edited ]

You want to kill someone over a post on a message board?

vices
24-03-07, 17:56
In before rant generator

zii
24-03-07, 19:58

You are right. It is only a game.

However, it has also occupied a reasonably long part of my life & I would be sad to let it go. So, I shan't.

Archtemplar
24-03-07, 21:40
I remember the first time i played NC when i was a youngin'

Me and my brother got the beta and we gave it a (albeit short) trial. In that short time i just remember running around in plaza with my tank, and killing a rat and getting a junk knife... A year or two later, when i got the game again I remember getting the BP for the junkknife in NC1, lol, its the enviroment and the mechanics of the game that gives NC the nostalgia that keeps me comming back.

Nixon
24-03-07, 22:01
Try leveling a new character now.. Yeah sure it has nostalgy but the damn game (atleast pve side of it) is just broken. I've killed around 10 mobs and been running ingame for 3-4 hours after 2.2 because i just can't level. There is no mobs i can solo to cap my character without it being a huge pain in the ass and a terrible time sink. I can't group either because there is so small amount of people in game.

Oh right.. and 5 minutes into game after installing this i got FRE + zonebug when exiting the mc5 start building.. After that i havent counted how many dozen times the client has crashed.

I hate some things in neocron 2+ .. to mention a couple: "cutie-boy" models that make me puke, bugs and making pve unsoloable utter crap.

Syntax-Error
24-03-07, 22:11
i have to say i agree with the OP, neocron has that special something that made it great, but that special something died for me when most of the roleplayers left.

With the release of 2.2 im hoping to give it a try again, and see if that something is back :)

Dribble Joy
24-03-07, 22:38
OMG synny.