PDA

View Full Version : Um....what?

Estuffing
16-03-07, 23:14
Alrighty, I just joined Neocron via the 10 day free trial thing. While the FAQ stuff was nice and all, I literally have no idea what the hell I am supposed to be doing in this game. Right now as I walk around (well, sometimes as I am mostly stuck with the f-ing sync bug), the game feels like more of an early beta then a finished game.

That aside, are there any profession guides out there? If I am a driver, when can I, oh I don't know, DRIVE SOMETHING? Are psi users as weak as they feel? Why are rifles SO much more powerful than pistols when the risk for using pistols is so much higher?

How the hell can I decipher these forums? Every time I click on a post I think might be relevent, it is so filled with acronyms that I might as well be reading a foreign language! HELP!

tarasm
16-03-07, 23:23
[ edited ]

Archtemplar
16-03-07, 23:44
Recent 'balancing' has left leveling in neocron a long and gruelling task. I suggest you start a melee combat gentank, and do Quickmissions from the computer console that can be found around the city. Also, make sure your character doesnt start in DoY, but Neocron. (Meaning the character will have to be a part of the factions CityAdmin, Biotec, Protopharm, Tangent Tech, or NeXT.) Kill things in the sewers and ask for tips from in game players - but not on the help channel, thats just for common chat :rolleyes:

Nidhogg
16-03-07, 23:46
tarasm, you're not helping. :rolleyes:

Have you looked in this forum? (http://forum.neocron.com/forumdisplay.php?f=168)

I'm sure someone has a link to a list of acronyms somewhere.

N

Estuffing
17-03-07, 02:17
That helped out alot. I clicked on the guides link earlier but did not know it was broken into two parts. Thanks everyone! (excluding tarasm)

Nidhogg
17-03-07, 02:21
That helped out alot. I clicked on the guides link earlier but did not know it was broken into two parts. Thanks everyone! (excluding tarasm)
To be fair to tarasm, it wasn't a dig at you, it was at us. ;)

Anyway, yeah, don't be afraid to ask questions here.

N

james_finn
17-03-07, 14:26
Although people stopped using the site to add information (hint hint) you can usually type any kind of anachronism into the search box at www.nc-wiki.com (http://www.nc-wiki.com) and hopefully it should return the correct full name.

/Delphi

IceStorm
18-03-07, 13:08
Bookmark www.techhaven.org , www.sheriff-hardy.de , and www.rpgplanet.com/neocron . Those three have decent item information, with Techhaven.org having walkthroughs for most professions, epic quests, and a few other odds and ends.

What acronyms aren't you familiar with? Not sure if there's an acronym guide, but some of the important ones are:

TH: Tech Haven. E_07 and F_07 are the entrances. Three sector safezone for all of NC. It is the place for tradeskill services (IMPlant, RESearch, ConSTruction, REPair, RECycling). Do your best to get there as soon as possible and tag the GR in Sector 2.

MB: Military Base. Big leveling spot. Mil Base Center is a Safezone, but the stairwell to it is not, so expect some carnage as you go through the first set of doors on the stairs. It's also a good place for pokes (implanting) as people die often there. :-)

P1: Plaza 1. Safezone in Neocron proper. This is where most Pro-City tradeskilling takes place for lower level players who haven't gotten themselves to TH yet.

GG: GoGuardian. That thing which has 40 inventory slots. Your cabinet away from home. It's Neocron's version of the Resident Evil Item Box

GR: GenReplicator. Used both as a noun (Tag that GR) and as a verb (I'm GRing out to DRT to pick up my Rhino). This is Neocron's equivalent of teleport.

DRT: Desert Race Track. Located at G_11 (I think), this is a GR in the Northeast section of the map that all can reach. Has an ASG in the same zone

ASG: The name of the vehicle vendor store in Neocron. Also referred to as a GR for vehicles. You can spawn/put back vehicles at an ASG, along with repairing them (by paying lots of money for most vehicles).

WTB: Want To Buy. Use this when you're looking for a specific item on one of the Trade- channels (Trade-NC being the most popular). Example: WTB Rav. Paying 2 mil.

WTT: Want To Trade. Use this when you're looking to trade your item(s) for another item. Example: WTT DS and SA for WoC disc (never happen)

WTS: Want To Sell. Use this when you want to sell items (and services). Example: WTS All Gloves - 75k. SS/SF/SRI/Psi Core/Marine - 100k. DM me for delivery.

DM: Direct Message. Direct Messages are private conversations between you and one other player. Direct on the Hypercom. This is the equivalent of a "tell" from other MMOs.

CRP: Canyon Reload Point. This is a popular leveling spot. Unfortunately, CRP's GR is controlled by Cycrow OP's GR settings.

OP: Outpost. Facilities that are controlled by various Clans in NC. They have to be hacked to be taken from one Clan and gained by another Clan. Not positive of the details at this point, but I believe hacking an OP takes three separate hackers. The final hack is the one who then owns the OP. As Clans typically do not staff NC 24/7, other Clans see fit to take OPs when the holding Clan is not online. This is known as ninja hacking.

SS: Special Science CPU. Brain imp made up of rareparts. For tradeskilling.
SF: Special Forces CPU. Brain imp made up of rareparts. For pistol/rifle combat.
SRI: Special Rigger's Interface. Brain imp made up of rareparts. For droning
SA: Synaptic Accelerator. Highly sought-after imp made up of MC5 rareparts. High-end SF
DS: Dimension Splitter. Imp made up of MC5 parts. High-end version of the Psi Core

MC5: This is technically the area you start at with a new character, however in-game MC5 generally refers to the one zone accessed from H_14 that contains mobs which drop special rareparts. These rareparts make up high-end versions of regular rarepart CPUs.

WB (or WBT): Warbot or Warbot Titan. A popular high level mob to hunt for rareparts. Found in the wastes, especially in J_02 and I_09.

WoC: Wisdom of Ceres. This refers to overcap levels and discs used to unlock overcap skills. After you max out characters's main stats, you continue to earn XP. There are five levels of "overcap" XP that one can earn (the first being at 260million XP total in one of your class's eligible mainstats). To unlock a WoC level requires a WoC disc (an infrequent drop in the Ceres Labs) and several million NC (currency).

LoM: Loss of Memory pills. These pills are used to remove trainpoints from a particular subskill. They remove five base trainpoints

RES, REP, CST, REC, R-C, H-C, T-C, etc. All of these are abbreviations which come from the skills panel for subskills. The subskill name is listed on the left, and the subskill abbreviation is on the right near the points box.

TL: Tech Level. Every item in Neocron has a Tech Level. For implants, the poker has to have an implant skill equal or greater than the implant's Tech Level to install it. As the current max TL of any imp in NC is 115, the max imp skill of most pokers stops at 115. TL also determines the minimum repair needed skill needed to fix an item (rep skill must be 1/2 the TL of the item or higher). TL also indicates how hard an item is to RES or CST. To virtually guarantee success you need 2x the TL of the item in the respective skill (RES or CST).

Poke: Slang for remote implant. When you need an implant (and now gloves) installed, you look for a poker - "Need a Poker, TL<insert TL of item>"

There's always more, but this is a decent start.

Dribble Joy
18-03-07, 15:23
SF: Special Forces CPU. Brain imp made up of rareparts. For pistol/rifle combat.
SA: Synaptic Accelerator. Highly sought-after imp made up of MC5 rareparts. High-end SF
DS: Dimension Splitter. Imp made up of MC5 parts. High-end version of the Psi Core
These have been split into two types, along with the Psi Core.

SF is now rifle, with the SWAT as it's pistol version. SA is now the DIS for rifles and the CCP for pistols.
DS and Psi Core have been split into APU and PPU types as well.

CMaster
18-03-07, 16:01
These have been split into two types, along with the Psi Core.

SF is now rifle, with the SWAT as it's pistol version. SA is now the DIS for rifles and the CCP for pistols.
DS and Psi Core have been split into APU and PPU types as well.

Once again, can I stress that the DS has NOT been split, much like the marine hasn't.
Other than that, Icestorm's abreviation overview is probably better than the other, albeit slightly longer one. And yes, make good friends with the THN (http://www.techhaven.org), although with 2.2 having hit some of the info there isn't accurate. (And some of it hasn't been for a long while - I fix bits and pieces from time to time, but I know stuff is stil left that is wrong.

IceStorm
18-03-07, 16:03
These have been split into two types,I didn't mention the SWAT because, well, it's SWAT. Most people know what that means (either literally or figuratively)
along with the Psi Core.Psi Core has typically been referred to as "Psi Core" in-game. It's not hard to figure out.
SF is now rifle, with the SWAT as it's pistol version. SA is now the DIS for rifles and the CCP for pistols.Don't own one, haven't seen one, didn't comment beyond SA since SA discussion is still ongoing.
DS and Psi Core have been split into APU and PPU types as well.The DS has not been split. I have a DS in my Monk. There are no APU or PPU benefits to it. There may be two new MC5 chips, but the original DS is now +5.23 PSI, +20.92 PSU, +20.92 FCS, +10.46 PPW, -1.73 INT, and -5.18 WEP. Requirement is 95 PSI.

Psi Core has been split, but so far I haven't seen the acronyms flying around Trade-NC just yet. We're still getting GM trades sorted (I hope).

I guess my real point is that because new items come into the item pool does not mean the old items stop being discussed. When older players are reminiscing about the original SF, he'll know what it means. The same goes for other items, like FH2 (Filter Heart 2 - exceedingly rare drop back in the day) or Zerk 3 (Berserk 3 - stopped dropping completely for several months).