PDA

View Full Version : Modeling 3D assets of Neocron

Clive tombstone
16-03-07, 06:03
I have a week break from school (yeah the art institute has really short breaks between quarters), and I want to spend that time practicing my craft. I was wondering would it be alright If I re-modeled some assets from neocron? What Ill do is start from scratch (complete with fresh concept art) Model, texture, and if I have time, rig and animate.

now I know I cant post this in my port folio, because that would probably get me sued, but I wanna try this anyways.

So this brings too questions, One from KK (if they care to answer =P) and one from the public.

1.-Am I allowed to make a "remake" of a given model, and present it on the forums (Im not sure where else I could present it, this would be nice if someone could tell me, I mean something to put on my website would be nice if it turns out good).

2. What Monster/Player model/Weapon/etc should I remake? Ill be modeling in maya 8 and Zbrush (still learning zbrush though, kinda screwing around in mudbox as well).

unreal
16-03-07, 07:01
1) Highly doubt it. This is another topic that technically isn't disallowed in the Rules of Conduct, but they'll surely disapprove of it and could perhaps get your arse slapped unless you get permission first.

2) Login to Neocron, have a quick look around and pick the first disgusting thing you can find. :p I've always thought the player fists and the normal tool models were especially disgusting. Maybe you could just remove the landing lights from the new Regants PA. :D As for mobs though, I've always disliked the Aggressor model because it's a bit low quality.

Let's hope they don't say no. This is the sort of thing (such as my own project ideas) they should give a second thought about before saying "no, sod off".

Clive tombstone
16-03-07, 07:12
The aggy would be fun to remodel (I dont really want to do any of the other mutants (thats basically a character model with a different pose and different character mesh), MAYBE the hurler though, since I could really exagerate the preportions a bit and define the muscle structer a bit better (hell give him individual fingers!). The Warbie looks like it could be fun, definately worth a shot, or even one of the big fire mobs (I really dont wanna do the raptor though, kinda sick of teradactiles (did one on a school project a while ago, not really happy).

as for the regent model, havnt seen him yet (yeah but I heard the lighting wasnt so spot on him)

PS- keep these comments comming, Id of made a poll, but for some reason I cant when creating a thread =(

SorkZmok
16-03-07, 08:07
You should rework the old and sexy NC1 PE model to fit into NC2. :)

Clive tombstone
16-03-07, 08:17
Sounds fun, God I miss my sunglasses!

lol

Keep em coming, ANyone know how to make a poll?

elGringo
16-03-07, 10:28
Sounds fun, God I miss my sunglasses!

lol

Keep em coming, ANyone know how to make a poll?

Practise creativity, brainstorming & idea modelling as well.. stop posting so much, start actually doing things :)
You dont need the nc models for that - your stuff wont be used for the retail client anyway...

Napalm82
16-03-07, 10:51
How about instead of re-modeling stuff you model something which could be added to NC? (Yeah i know, it wont be added no matter what)

Personally I'm gonna try to model a Ground based drone instead of the flying ones we have now.

- Napalm

Nidhogg
16-03-07, 11:24
We're always happy to see fan art. Go for it. If it's good I'll see if it can be put up on the website. :)

N

Napalm82
16-03-07, 13:14
Well thats good to hear, now i just have to stop sucking at modelling :D .

- Napalm

carbonkink
16-03-07, 15:49
I'd like to see a detailed aggy/launcher cyclops modeled and rigged :P

Clive tombstone
16-03-07, 16:35
Well Gringo, why Im not "Doing anything" right now is because Im in my Finals week. All I have time for IS a little prep chat about what would be nice to do.

And sure, Ill try some modeling of an Cyclops first, just because I feel it needs some serious lovin. Ill start concepting it out one my Other projects are finished mid next week.

-PS Hey Niddy, can you ask your guys what the poly budget is (like what, 2000 faces or what?)

Heavyporker
16-03-07, 16:59
Wasn't it something like only 1000 polys for NC1 models?

StevenJ
16-03-07, 17:06
Make the Warbot Devastator :D

Sammson
16-03-07, 18:26
I saw this last nite, what is that thing, PE PA?

Skusty
16-03-07, 18:27
Looks like regant to me.

Spiro
16-03-07, 19:02
I guess it was me, its a spy/pe PA :P

kurai
16-03-07, 19:10
What are the requirements/specs on the Regants PAs ?

Rascil
16-03-07, 19:11
hmm rework warbot is not so good with zbrush :-)... better try something organic like the agressor or a new wolf... wolf is hart with the fiurr.. and the bones etc but worse a trie..

Dribble Joy
16-03-07, 19:24
What are the requirements/specs on the Regants PAs ?
Same as the regulars afaik. No dex benefit and some TC afaik.

Clive tombstone
16-03-07, 21:29
"dogs" are not that hard to put in a skeleton, but yes the fur can be a problem depending on how you want to do it. Actually, low poly fur is really easy if your a bit artistic and know how to use alpha planes like this picture here.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b17/Ashufly/wolf_brown1.jpg
. Basically I could add a bit more stuff to the beasts by just adding flat planes with hand drawn features like hair or refuse of some kind.

Really the key to good monster modeling and such is giving personality to models by giving them things that can really make them stand out from other generic subtypes. (sorry for using wow as an example), Where in wow, as much as I dont really like PLAYING the game, Ill admit, there designs are spot on and deliver a "feeling" in a budget. Alpha planese can really help out a lot in little models like that as long as you can be creative as such. Just make sure you know how to place them also, or they can look really awkward.

And that rant really had no other point than showing how great Alpha planes are =P.

PS- actually a you'd be suprised with how well robots can turn out in Zbrush, I got a few of my buddies who can vouch for that man... Buuut not me, since I suck at "metal" stuff in Zbrush as of now (Im getting better though^^)

(edit) PPS- Also im not saying NC models dont have personality, quite the contrary, the only REAL thing is that there quite a bit out of date thats all.

Archtemplar
16-03-07, 22:33
As far as mobs go, the only terrible thing is the low res textures. But then again, i never liked the WBs face - it looks too human.

Clive tombstone
17-03-07, 03:43
Yeah and I never like'd em too much because they...
http://www.jeffbots.com/judgedredd1.jpg

*evil glare at KK*

ZoVoS
17-03-07, 04:55
its probably against the rules but i am pritty sure its posible to rip the modles out of the game to have a base to start on =\ i have a copy of the origional characters sumwhere

Heavyporker
17-03-07, 06:11
Screw you, man. That model is awesome.

I want a personal ABC robot.

Clive tombstone
17-03-07, 06:38
Heheh, I know I know man, just kinda sore when I saw it in 2002, but then again, on the other hand, I get to kill ABC bots, thats pretty cool (now if theyd just update the bastards to look more fresh).

I MIGHT be getting someone else to do some concept art for me, since Im doing the Laucher Cyclops (My buddy is really good at concepting out guys that have a lot of wieght on them).

Clive tombstone
22-03-07, 08:04
Okay, here we go. Since finals week has been absolute Hades, Ive managed to get one page of concepts down, and anouther treat, a "Rendition" of a Launcher Cyclops from my Media arts & Animation Major buddy Kyle.

here they are

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b17/Ashufly/LauncherCyclops2.jpg

And The treat.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b17/Ashufly/LauncherCyclops.jpg

Dribble Joy
22-03-07, 08:20
Second one is far to rounded and (though not the best word to use) almost 'cute' looking. Not nearly gritty, angular, dangerous or mean looking enough. First one is much better.