PDA

View Full Version : For those lonley ones using "Windows Vista"

Dr J Zoidberg
15-03-07, 17:33
It has come to my attention that the patcher of neocron launcher fails to patch the client due to a rights error.

This is bacause the patcher is trying to patch files that are in the program files. The program files need to be allowed to be edited by windows vista file manager and the patcher does not ask for it. It just trys to patch the files.

-- Here is the solution. --

Go into your installation directory.

(usually C:/Program Files/... )

Click once on the Neocron2 folder.

(so it is highlighted)

Drag the Neocron2 folder from the Program Files folder onto your Desktop.

(Accept all security messages)

Open the Neocron2 folder from the desktop.

Double click on NeocronLauncher.exe

Click Play Neocron 2.

Leave it to download the patches and install them.

When the patching is complete DO NOT click Play Neocron.

Click on the [X] to close the window.

Highlight the Neocron 2 folder and drag it back into the Program Files folder.

Accept all of the Vista Secutiry Messages and let it put the files abck into the folder.

Close all the windows and start Neocron up again.

-- End of solution --

I hope this solves the problems that people will have when swiching over to vita in the next few months.

Hopefully KK will fiddle with it to make it compatible to vista.

-Will

olavski
15-03-07, 17:41
I think it has more to do with that annoying UAC that Vista runs by default.

Turned it off and i never had problems patching.

Dr J Zoidberg
15-03-07, 17:42
I know, I just did that for the people who dont know how to do it and keep asking me how...

It gest rather annoying, so i wrote it down.

-Will

H00ver
15-03-07, 17:45
The problem with UAC:

Your installed Application can't write in their own folders... They only can write in the current users profiles, to save settings.

Dr J Zoidberg
15-03-07, 17:50
The problem with UAC:

Your installed Application can't write in their own folders... They only can write in the current users profiles, to save settings.

Ecactly.

Its a pain the the A...

Esp. when yuo are trying to write programs that base themselves inside the program files folders....

-Will

IceStorm
16-03-07, 14:57
Supposedly, UAC's there for a reason, so you're not supposed to disable it.

I don't install games to "Program Files", but to a completely separate \Games directory off the root of my drive. That's probably why I had no problems with running NC under Vista.

Nidhogg
16-03-07, 15:07
Thanks for the tip. :)

N

rob444
16-03-07, 15:56
Or you could just rightclick NeocronLauncher.exe and select "run as administrator". Doh.

Zefrian
16-03-07, 16:15
I don't install games to "Program Files", but to a completely separate \Games directory off the root of my drive. That's probably why I had no problems with running NC under Vista.i also urgendly recommend this. Leaving NC in "c:\program files\" means always problems on a NTFS-Drive playing it without adminstrator rights, because NC always want to write to his folder (*.log, *.ini, *.bmp). I discovered this problem on Windows 2000.

I suppose, NC can be moved without problems to another place on the harddrive. I suggest creanting for example "D:\games\" , move NC-folder to there, and give "full access" to all users to "D:\games\".

slith
16-03-07, 16:20
Create a partition for Neocron and defragment it every 2 weeks or so.

T'is worth the effort.

IceStorm
16-03-07, 17:58
I suppose, NC can be moved without problems to another place on the harddrive.I haven't "installed" Neocron since the first 2.0 install, as I recall. I just copy the install to different machines. NC doesn't care where it's run from.