PDA

View Full Version : What is there to do in Neocron?

NestorPL
13-03-07, 04:45
I've got my freebie with NC 2.2 , logged back in on my account..

After setting up all stats again, moving some stuff i couldn't use anymore to my GG i started to think what to do.

I'm a 44/47 or something rifle spy. TL67 laser rifle with flazer cells. I've been hearing all this about rebalancing etc, aggies mowing people and whatnot. I went to aggie cellar, they dealt no damage to me, died in almost 1 shot.

So I went back to my grindspot at MB Bunker, took the regulard cyclops mission for 2000nc (wasnt it 5000?). Went out there, crouched on the hill, and without moving an inch i've killed all i needed. The Ai is as appaling as it was. They just slowly move towards me and never hit. Dunno, maybe i should snipe warbots tommorow. (is there a YO's in MB btw, i think there used to be one somewhere..)

The only thing i've noticed so far is that the more the mob is damaged, the more damage it takes. First few shots take like 100hp, after 50% it's about 150 hp per tick. Why not, better than my melee rifle called 'raygun' that looks like a 80's boombox :)

So anyway, what is there to do in Neocron? Sniping cyclops could be done by a 4 year old after 2 minute training. There's PvP but seeing all those beefed up guys in power armors etc is kinda offputting :)

Is there any kind of adventure thing, or some challening 'quests' or anything?

I have to admit that for some reason, neocron is one of my favourite games, i started in NC1 Beta, and loved it, it was still UO era and NC was great. I love the feeling of neocron city (DOY is a dump and a depressing labirynth), and the basic concept of the game. However, this char is as far as I have ever got in NC. I've had some friends playing NC1 in FF, but i had no payment options available to me. Being a total noob, I'm not really sure what is there to do in neocron mid-end-game wise.

I'm kinda stuck solo playing (unless heroine find his account) and just wonder what new things are there to do. I've tried hacknet, but having around 110 HCK and 90+ T-C, getting through the other side of TH uplink was a mess. I've tried doing some combat in Hacknet, but it's like walking in dream.. you touch something, it dissapears, or nothing happens, or suddenly you get attacked from nowhere, so you just float to that light at the end of the tunnel and jump some 'data streams'. Is there anything to actually gain in hacknet? It's a very intruguing concept, but I've tried checking it out back in 2.1 and its purpose, other than travel to TH-Area is quite mysterious to me.

Help a noob out, what can I do ?

(I'm a full time wow player, i might have a disorted view of what's fun :) ) [and yeah, feel free to flame me just for mentioning wow]

NestorPL
14-03-07, 05:36
Is it me, or after 24h without a reply I'm forced to conclude that there's not much more to NC than grinding cyclops? :)

elGringo
14-03-07, 06:17
Theres no single way to play Neocron.

Unlike other MMOs, for a lot of people the fun starts when leveling ends.
PvP is certainly big & unique in Neocron.
Some people like to solo, e.g. play a sniper spy and go on a killingspree -- others prefer team based PvP, mainly fighting for the outposts in the wastelands that can be occupied by clans.

...talking of clans - if you dont have one, consider joining one ... makes NC a much more enjoyable experience as it really makes you get along faster and you have less hassle trying to get support or a team going. There are a lot of locations and quests you miss out on w/o a decent team.

See if you can get someone to help pushing your char a bit - and when you get ahold of a few rares and a shiny powerarmor, give PvP a try ...can be pretty entertaining... and try to find a clan you can join - everything else will float to you from that point ;)

Grinding cyclopses - although some people seem to enjoy grinding - is rather dull imo... and if that was the prime thing to do in NC, I wouldnt have stuck with it for the past 5 years.

P.S: Hacknet is kinda unplayable atm ...they (KK) are still fixing bits and pieces, after all, evol 2.2 was a massive change.

eprodigy
14-03-07, 06:22
not going to lie, pvp is the end game. of course you can tradeskill and hunt and RP, and that does go on (although a bit lost right now in all the fuss and transition). people will be doing a lot of hunting and rare building and questing now that they need different things and new things that came with 2.2.

but as i said.. its PVP at the heart of the game. without it, i dont think anyone would play. but nc pvp is truly unique and has kept people playing the game for years. the rebalancing was mainly with regard to pvp balance, pve was changed but i personally havent done much.

yeah its hard to get into, somewhat intimidating. but I havent played a game where it wasnt, and it makes it all the better when you do.

the whole idea with neocron is, it is what you make it, theres no endless questing to do you just do what you want. theres plenty out there to do.

and; join a clan! almost everyone who sticks with the game joins a decent clan, the people is what make neocron.

elGringo
14-03-07, 06:40
but as i said.. its PVP at the heart of the game. without it, i dont think anyone would play.

Well ...the tradeskillers woukld have little to do without the PVPers - thats for sure, but I know quite a lot ppl who enjoy socializing (what a sorry term for a mmo activity :p), farming items & cash, PvE and tradeskilling.

Apart from that I fully agree :)

D31C1D3
14-03-07, 23:31
If you are finding PvE to be boring for you, you should LoM down to pistols. Get all up in thier faces and wreck shit! You have to stay on your toes with your heals and your shields but the danger really makes things more fun :lol:

naimex
14-03-07, 23:54
You could go looking for the entrance to the volcano :)

Personally, I've spent.... like 10 hours total just running through Gaia Mine tunnels, back and forth, pressing just about every single wall, or object (Wolfenstein 3D looking for hidden passages style).

Noone has managed to find the entrance to this mythical place.

It is said, that he who enters, gains the ability to wear KillerBunneh's pink power armor of pimpness..

A legendary price, for a legendary quest ...

*drools at KillerBunneh's pink power armor of pimpness* :eek:

:p :D :p :D :p :D

Clive tombstone
17-03-07, 21:26
:p Come on, dont be sendin him on THAT snipe hunt man, we want him to stay man! What I bet your gonna tell him about the quest that requires him to first fime some Headlight fluid and Elbow Grease too huh? :p

Seriously though, theres a lot to do, you just got to be creative with what you got. Personally Vehicles have always been my thing (not to say that I didnt PvP too, thats a blast, so long as the tank dont have a creed XD) The race track (when there arnt any A-holes shooting at you) can be a fun place to challenge people to races. I used to do it all the time with my hover bike (the reason for the hoverbike and not anything else is because it "Drifts" a bit in turning, making the actual player skill of driving more needed). Now with 2.2 Im making use of the gliders to fly the track a bit^^.

Just try and enjoy yourself man, whatever you do, just have fun doing it. And If you cant think of somethin, just ask around, and hopefully someone will say something.