PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Not the best week or two in the the life of DJ....

Dribble Joy
09-03-07, 02:28
Friday week before last I go out for a few bevs with the mates and stagger home. Wake up with what I suspect to be a horrendous hangover, but is quickly realised to be a flu. I'm either shivvering uncontrolably, sweating like mad and with a ravenous cough and headache. The paracetamol my housemate gives me just makes me feel sick.

Sunday is spent chugging strepsils and forcing myself not to smoke, while my lungs are a firey pit of phlem and pain.

Monday is spent hacking and coughing still, more strepsils are taken and I do little.
Teusday is spent doing similar, though the evening saw a poker tourney at a local pool house. I blow £30 (tenner by-in, tenner re-buy, tenner add-on) and get knocked out by some tit calling blind, only hitting his straight after I go all in and the turn comes down.

Run out of strepsils on Wednesday morning.

Later that day and Thursday are spent in a world of pain as my throat swells up making both my cough and swallowing near unbearable. Go to shops and buy strepsils and ibuprofen. Strepsils turn out not to have anaesthetic since I bought the menthol ones to help with my slowly blocking nose.

The, as you may remember, my comp died on Friday, due to what I suspected to be a vaped PSU.

On monday I take it to the comp shop in Loughborough, then went home to wait for the news.

It was indeed a vaped PSU, unfortunately the vigor of the PSU's death meant that the GFX card and both HDDs were taken down with it.

Faced with a £260 bill to fix it, or a £340 bill to get a new comp with better stuff (I badly needed an upgrade anyway, however small), I went with the latter. From a 1.4 athlon to a 3k AMD thingy and a radeon 9500pro to (I think) a nvidia 5700. They also put the RAM from my old box into the new one, so I have a gig.
Intended to get it picked up on Tuesday afternoon.

Go into shop half an hour before it shuts to enquire. Turns out that in the morning the delivery guy turns up outside on the pavement, not the back. Police promtly tell him to Foxtrot Oscar, and he doesn't return. Thus no comp.
Wednesday (yesterday) I again go in half an hour before it shuts to enquire and find out that the parts were indeed delivered... but to the Melton office. My comp is built, but miles away.

Today I finally get the thing delivered to my house at half five in the evening.

Discover I have no screw driver to install the network card, so I wander off in search of one at gone six, not a likely thing to find at that time.

Mate calls to inform me that I am working at seven, just as I find a screwdriver.

Watch the Uni's dance group (I was ushering), dance quality is poor (though for a uni with no dance course, you're not going to get people who want to do it for a living). The girls are largely fit though.

Bimble back home and sort out comp.

Oh and it turns out that the HDDs really were shafted, no data at all could be recovered.

Dogface
09-03-07, 15:05
wow..

Just wow. I don't think I've ever had a week that bad, if that was me I would /set kill_self 1 if my HDD broke and I couldn't recover it. The rest of the week wouldn't bother me compared to that.

numb
09-03-07, 16:35
Yes losing HDDs is a killer. Have you heard of back ups? :D

The rest is just life, enjoy :angel:

jini
09-03-07, 16:42
Since what goes down, then comes up, you got a whole weekend to find a WoC disk whenever you decide to play... but amd 3 ghz isnt a bit old news? why not 2ble cores?

Dribble Joy
09-03-07, 17:15
It's old news indeed, but it's not like I had £1k to spend on kitting out some crazy gaming rig. It's better than my old pile of shit so I don't really mind.

Apocalypsox
09-03-07, 20:24
Rawr you shoulda gone to the Doc fool. Flu 4tl. And you where too passive at getting your compy back =P Start knocking people on their arses tbh

darknessfairy
09-03-07, 22:04
DJs week ftl :(
sucks to be you atm m8. hope the next few weeks will prove better for you

-DF-

Coid
11-03-07, 13:28
at least u got more computer parts than me atm dj :P