PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Overthetop Gaming rig

nobby
08-03-07, 22:48
Hello

My dad is gonna buy me a new computer
It could be worth 5 grand and he'll still pay

BUT

I need it to be a pay monthly, be it 5-10 years...

But if I can have it at 50-60 quid a month, It'll be perfect

I wanna customise an over the top computer, but I don't know any company that'll do monthly finance for that long ...

What company would anyone recommend ?

ashley watts
08-03-07, 22:53
My fav is Alienware <3, but i dunno if you can pay monthly, Google Alienware but im guessin youve allready checked that site out :p

elGringo
08-03-07, 22:56
dont buy what you cant afford to pay on spot.

...excluding real estate

Coid
08-03-07, 22:56
DiY - Do it yourself www.newegg.com u can make payments on purchases there. English based company but im sure they do international sales. P.S. Alienware is WAY overpriced....

ashley watts
08-03-07, 23:06
DiY - Do it yourself www.newegg.com u can make payments on purchases there. English based company but im sure they do international sales. P.S. Alienware is WAY overpriced....

Alienware is quite overpriced, but if Nobby has 5 grand to spend then meh, but yeah the r2k guy (cant remeber ya name soz lol), i wouldent buy anything you cant afford on the spot really :p

nobby
08-03-07, 23:06
dont buy what you cant afford to pay on spot.

...excluding real estate

My dad is paying so I don't care

I want it to be ready to be made from site, so I don't have to build it myself.

These are the specs I want...

Genuine (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:OpenDetailsWindow%28%27/Configurator_Pages/Details_Pages/Static_Pages/genuine_microsoft.aspx%27%29;) Windows® Vista Ultimate

High-Performance Liquid Cooling
1000 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI Motherboard
Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme QX6700 2.66GHz 8MB Cache 1066MHz FSB (quad core)
4GB DDR2 PC-6400 SDRAM at 800MHz
Dual 768MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8800 GTX or just the 1
AGEIA PhysX™ Physics Processing Unit

1.5 TB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7,200 RPM with 32MB Cache

18x Dual Layer DVD±R/W Drive

High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio - Standard

High Performance Intel Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (DSL-ready)

I don't want people spamming "OMG WHY THE FUCK DO YOU NEED ALL THAT ?!?!?!?"

Like I said, my dad's paying and WILL pay if I can get the price right, I want it to be Future proof.
if you can, help me with the financial payments

ashley watts
08-03-07, 23:10
Sounds nice to me Nobby, but im no master at computers, thats Almost certain to be futreproof for a long time, From what iv'e heard Vista Sucks more cock than somthing i shouldent say but if you've tried it and it's kool then sounds like a nice build yer have there.

nobby
08-03-07, 23:11
I havn't tried Vista yet... But I'm just "planning" to have it because of the specs

Coid
08-03-07, 23:15
your spoiled....i hate u

nobby
08-03-07, 23:16
When I was 13, my dad stopped giving me pocket money to pay for my computer per month for 3 years

9 months ago, the payments stopped, so he suggested i get a new comp :)

and He'll pay again :p

unreal
08-03-07, 23:27
Get a loan and buy the hardware in full, then pay back the loan at the agreed pace? If you want the absolute best of the best in terms of hardware, you'll probably need to look in more than one place to get it, either because the place you're looking at won't have the best, or they're simply charging over the top for it. If you're wanting a completely "custom" machine, which means designs, gadgets and lightning, then you'll definitely end up buying things individually.

Computers are pretty much like lego sets nowadays and don't require too much knowledge to put together. Slot things here, attach cables there, screw things in place and job done. You can't really go wrong. I'm sure you'd be able to do it yourself if you read the manuals or instead just asked a friend to do it. How many people do you know that are your age and don't have a computer? :p

Future proof? Is there such a thing anymore, if there ever was at one time? :) Technology is advancing in great leaps, just compare now to 5 years ago. If you buy the best hardware now, it'll be outdated in a minimum of three years meaning you'll need to upgrade again to play the newly released games, but it'll still be decent hardware that's for sure.

I guess you've binned the PS3 already then?

Coid
08-03-07, 23:33
my parents never get me shit unless its underwear or deoderant or something related to hygiene. I bought my first computer with my own hard earned cash. Ended up sellin it to buy drugs. Now im stuck using a piece of shit that can barely run starcraft. BUUUUUUT.....had i not sold the computer and fucked myself up, i wouldnt be getting a new one here pretty soon. wont be near as good as yours but it will run NC and thats all i want :D

CMaster
08-03-07, 23:35
Seriously, thats just daft.
Take a step back 1 or 2 steps off the very top end.
Nobody needs to spend £600 on a processor, or the same on RAM. Or £400 on a graphics card. YOu can get 90% of that performance for 50% of the price (http://www.tomshardware.com for guide on performance).
If you must spend the money now (seriously, wouldn't the loan be over sooner if you didn't just burn the money?) then spend it on quality peripherals (eg high end logitech, nice keyboard (contact points make a huge difference to PC use experience). High end speaker setup. A pair of nice, high response TFT monitors would do you good as well. Hell, perhaps throw in a projector for movies etc.

Argent
08-03-07, 23:38
Unless you really hate your dad, you shouldn't get configuration anywhere near that what you said you want. Spending big buck (even if it's your dad's) on best-of-the-best hardware is totally idiotic, you can get a comp with similar computing power even for just 1/4th of the price a year later.

nobby
08-03-07, 23:40
Well my dad won't give me the money in full, and I doubt I'll get a chance like this again... :x

nobby
08-03-07, 23:42
I bought my first computer with my own hard earned cash. Ended up sellin it to buy drugs.

Sympathy ?

I worked for a year and spent it all on parts for this shit machine...
was a waste of time

but now's my chance !

Toxen
09-03-07, 00:05
High-Performance Liquid Cooling
1000 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI Motherboard
Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme QX6700 2.66GHz 8MB Cache 1066MHz FSB (quad core)
4GB DDR2 PC-6400 SDRAM at 800MHz
Dual 768MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8800 GTX or just the 1
AGEIA PhysX™ Physics Processing Unit

1.5 TB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7,200 RPM with 32MB Cache

18x Dual Layer DVD±R/W Drive

High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio - Standard

High Performance Intel Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (DSL-ready)

Break down time:
Liquid cooling still a costly novelty really, still prone to some spectacular failures.

I'd probably get a higher wattage psu.

Mobo's ok, but personal preference always pushes me to use Asus

The quad core you'll find will have little benefit over a dual core currently and probably for the next couple of years. By the time quad cores become more mainstream that processor won't be any where near as top spec as it is now.

Ramm ok just make sure its a good brand like corsair

Graphic's its ok just overkill really

HD, sorry but that ammount of memory on a single drive is asking for trouble. Plus sata access speeds will be changing frequently enough to render it a slow drive but at a data access rate above 1gb/s your really not gonna notice the difference for gaming.

DVD drive, with a format war in offing its probably just simpler to buy a run of the mill drive and save some cash for the winner.

Audio ok, most of the stuff you'll encounter won't be true 7.1 though. Most dvd's and games operate at 5.1 still.

Gigabit ethernet, though its highly unlike you'll actually use the gigabit ethernet these days the cost of the actual network adapter is neglible

Apocalypsox
09-03-07, 01:26
If you want one that you dont gotta build, buy an alienware. You can make payments on em too. Or if that dont work, a Dell always works, and a few dells aint horribly bad for gaming. I do suggest a PhysX card though. About 300$ but it will help with some of the new games comin down.

But for a 3 grand Alienware, i can build one just as good from newegg and other assorted webbys for about 750$ or less. (Speaking american monehz)

james_finn
09-03-07, 02:40
Break down time:
Liquid cooling still a costly novelty really, still prone to some spectacular failures.

Ok I agree with you there, although if your spending as much as you say you are you can afford some inert liquid for the liquid cooler.

I'd probably get a higher wattage psu.

A larger PSU for what? 1KW Power supply is currently very near, if not the top of the line for the size of the power supplies, the only other thing you could look at is having two PSU's one to power all of the HDD and a GFX card, and the other to power the rest, this builds some redundancy into the PC.

Mobo's ok, but personal preference always pushes me to use Asus

The mobo that he is refering too isnt any named brand, afaik Nvidia do not make their own motherboards, rather they create the chipset and also look to make a reference board, it is down to the partner to make the board itself, so therefore you can have an ASUS board with that chipset.

The quad core you'll find will have little benefit over a dual core currently and probably for the next couple of years. By the time quad cores become more mainstream that processor won't be any where near as top spec as it is now.

Ok Quad core games will be out this year! Alan Wake (Talk to Odin if you want to know more :P) will be out in the next half of the year and that will use Quad cores! Also some very interesting reading today took me to a site which claims to have made a C++ compiler that allows easier use of assigning processes to different cores without rewriting the thread. This should increase the use of dual or quad cores (or even more seen as the Core wars is currently taking place) within games. (See the PS3 for more details of how multicores can be used as an architecture). P.S. also look at HL2 once that has been optimised. Gabe has already said that they are looking to do away with the GPU all together as there will be enough cores on a CPU to take that workload on (however the onus is on the CPU manufacturer to make the CPU be compatible with the GPU instructions.)

Ramm ok just make sure its a good brand like corsair

4GB of RAM will be enough to (hopefully) run Vista smoothly, however games like Supreme Commander already could use 4GB to play on some of the larger skirmish maps, so if you really want it future proof I would recommend that you go for more!

Graphic's its ok just overkill really

To currently actually use two 8800GTX's to there maximum would require some seriously large LCDs with a very high resolution, put it this way I have a 1680 x 1050 20" widescreen monitor, and currently I wouldnt buy the top end 8800GTX as it would be wasted in power. However considering the fact that you want future proof, then this is a fair decision.

HD, sorry but that ammount of memory on a single drive is asking for trouble. Plus sata access speeds will be changing frequently enough to render it a slow drive but at a data access rate above 1gb/s your really not gonna notice the difference for gaming.

Ok this is wrong, at the moment you cannot buy a 1.5 TB hard drive (please show me a manufacturer who does if I am wrong :P) Currently anything that would approach that density would have problems with demagnetisation from the tracks, and also the fact that the read write head would have problems being made that small. If what you want is 1.5TB then I would recommend 3 500GB drives in a RAID array, and I would also recommend a faster Raptor Drive as your main drive for windows etc. This should speed up the time it takes to get into windows. Data access rate I wouldnt worry too much about, as they will change frequently like Toxen said, however I would go for the largest that is available for the time.

DVD drive, with a format war in offing its probably just simpler to buy a run of the mill drive and save some cash for the winner.

Or wait for the new multi format ones ;)

Gigabit ethernet, though its highly unlike you'll actually use the gigabit ethernet these days the cost of the actual network adapter is neglible

If you go to (or plan to go to) LAN parties then the organiser should really be using Gigabit ethernet, as it will allow more bandwidth for file transfers etc. However, you cant be picky as to what comes with the motherboard, most new motherboards use Gigabit as that has now become the standardised chipset.

Nobby - one place to check for "good" high quality well biult PCs is Vadim (http://www.vadim.co.uk) they make lots of PCs for the like of Custom PC!

/Delphi

RogerRamjet
09-03-07, 13:24
5 grand on a PC?

I spend £500 and i'm in tears.

Edit: Whoa whoa whao. You want to pay off a PC over 5-10 years time? Surely you realise you'll be paying money out long after the computer has become virtually obsolete. Wouldn't it be better simply to spend say a grand now, then upgrade the parts as needed in the future?

netster
09-03-07, 14:06
try a vapochill box!

Rascil
09-03-07, 14:09
A larger PSU for what? 1KW Power supply is currently very near, if not the top of the line for the size of the power supplies, the only other thing you could look at is having two PSU's one to power all of the HDD and a GFX card, and the other to power the rest, this builds some redundancy into the PC.

wrong :-). 2 PSU are worser than one. Cause it would bee a seriel dependency ergo bouth psu haqve to run if you want your pc to function.

So this has nothing to do with redundancy .

Greatings

Rascil

VegaH
09-03-07, 15:18
Fuck that....with 5000$ you should go buy your first car instead...

RogerRamjet
09-03-07, 15:29

It's not in $, it's in real money, £s :p

In $s it would be just under $10000.

VegaH
09-03-07, 15:31
ROFL.....then go buy a car and some girls with it...

Matthew.v.smith
09-03-07, 15:36
Gotta' agree with VegaH.

That PC is going to cost more than my Fiat Stilo.
I certainly wouldn't splash that much money out on a PC.
I mean, Christ, my PC works fine and doesn't have any trouble running current games and it only cost me about £280 to upgrade it (Graphics and Ram)

Instead of diving head first into the future, why not get your dad to keep 5 grand aside for you, so you can access it whenever you need an upgrade, that way it will be a lot more beneficial because you can upgrade when you require it.

StevenJ
09-03-07, 15:39
Cash could be spent getting 5 top-end computers over 10 years, and you'll end up with a better computer at the end, and five computers!

And no crippling interest... Give your dad a break, he'll be grateful!

RogerRamjet
09-03-07, 15:41
Sympathy ?

I worked for a year and spent it all on parts for this shit machine...
was a waste of time

"Dad, I spent all my money on this crap PC, any chance you can help me out?"

"Fuck off, it's your own fault."

Those would be the exact words if I asked my dad.

SorkZmok
09-03-07, 16:28
Seriously, thats just daft.
Take a step back 1 or 2 steps off the very top end.
Nobody needs to spend £600 on a processor, or the same on RAM. Or £400 on a graphics card. YOu can get 90% of that performance for 50% of the price (http://www.tomshardware.com for guide on performance).
If you must spend the money now (seriously, wouldn't the loan be over sooner if you didn't just burn the money?) then spend it on quality peripherals (eg high end logitech, nice keyboard (contact points make a huge difference to PC use experience). High end speaker setup. A pair of nice, high response TFT monitors would do you good as well. Hell, perhaps throw in a projector for movies etc.What he says.
Wasting so much money on high end stuff is a waste. Especially if you're gonna pay for it monthly. You'll still be paying for it when it's old and shitty hardware. Or your dad. Still, don't do it.

nobby
09-03-07, 18:59
5 grand on a PC?
Surely you realise you'll be paying money out long after the computer has become virtually obsolete. Wouldn't it be better simply to spend say a grand now, then upgrade the parts as needed in the future?

My dad won't hand over the money for upgrades... :(
And I believe this is the last time my dad's gonna pay for my computer, so I wanna make the most of this "free" time as I can't afford upgrades atm.

In the future, there's nothing stopping me from upgrading this mean machine is there ?
Should it be updated... :p

nobby
09-03-07, 19:02

Nah, I've been told that when I pass my driving test, I'm having our Mercedes :p

weeeee

I can't be arsed to drive... Not like I have any friends to visit anyway... :o

RusSki
09-03-07, 19:14
£5000 on a pc, haha.

nobby your 17 this year and regularly moan about how you live in a little village so its had to get anywhere or get jobs.
How about spending £5000 on a car and insurance.
Kids today really dont have any clue about the real world value of money.

For less than £1000 you can buy a great pc.
I really wouldnt advise someone who knows jack about computers to buy a £5000 pc.

Just very quickly spec'd up a system on overclockers.co.uk :

Asus Commando Intel 965 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

Intel Core 2 DUO E6700 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.67GHz (1066FSB) - Retail

Zalman CNPS9700-LED Aero Flower (Socket AM2/939/754/775) CPU Cooler

x2 Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2 Dominator PC2-6400C4 TwinX (2x1GB)

x2 Western Digital Raptor 150GB WD1500ADFD 10,000RPM SATA 16MB Cache

x4 Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750GB ST3750640AS SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM

BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC 768MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Professional 7.1 Soundcard

Adaptec AAR-1430SA PCI-Express x4 4-Port SATA-II RAID Controller

Samsung SH-182MRSMN 18x18 DVD±RW Dual Layer Lightscribe ReWriter (Beige,Black,Silver)

BFG 1000W UK/PFC Approved PSU

Zalman FC-ZE1 Fatal1ty Champion Computer Enclosure

Asus MW221U 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Silver/Black

Total cost £3,272

Plenty of performance there, 2 raptor drives on raid 0 for OS, apps and games.
4 500bg drives on raid 10 for tolerance and performance.
At the above price even that is WAY over the top and frankly pointless.
Why anyone would want to spend a further £1800 on a system let alone another £1500+ just in interest over 5 years is beyond me.
You really wouldnt even use half its capabilities if it was only used for games.

I can certainly think of much better things to be spending £130 per month on for the next 5 years.

SorkZmok
09-03-07, 19:26
I can certainly think of much better things to be spending £130 per month on for the next 5 years.God, imagine weed for that money every month for the next 5 years. :lol:

CMaster
09-03-07, 19:36
Honestly, spending more than £1000 on the box and ALL the bits that go in it is simply daft. You'll get no perceptible difference today (you can run everything at sillly high FPS that is out today) and get maybe 2 more months of lifetime if you spent £3000. Of course, you could simply have spent £1000 again 18 months later, have 2 computers, one vasty better than the £3000 machine, and still be £1000 better off. Seriously, theres no call to ever spend more than £200 on a processor. You don't need a spereate ethernet card as any N680i board already has a gigabit network controller integrated, as does any decent intel 975X board (which I'd recommend over the nforces). Again, step back on the graphics card. An 8800 is probably a good idea if you have the cash, but you can easily save £100 by stepping back from the very bleeding edge model and never notice the difference.

Getting a Western Digital Raptor drive, as Delphi suggests is a very good idea. Keep it for windows and games only, dumping everything else on some cheaper drive. But it will reduce startup times and the link significantly.

And can I stress again, that if that money really is burning a hole in your pocket, then spend it not on components. 10% performance boost does not make a magically better experience. Quality interaction parts DO make a massive difference. Comftable, performance mice make being at your PC much nicer and help you out with gaming. 2 or 3 large LCD monitors make doing work much easier (trust me, there are many many tasks that having multiple monitors is very helpful). And you'll enjoy seeing a game running at some silly resolution across a nice 22" monitor (or a HDTV?) vastly more than you will getting 130 FPS rather than 120 on some old shitty CRT. A keyboard with nice response, and maybe some gaming targeted design again helps, although nothing like as much as the mouse (after a few experiences, I'm rather nonplussed with gaming keyboards honestly. This keyboard (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2166,CONTENTID=12339) Looks very sweet, but for a media centre, not a gaming rig). Sound is a big part of the experience, too. You could go two ways with this, either get a high end PC speaker set, or go all out and buy a proper AV amp and a set of nice speakers (Mission perhaps?) and hook that up to a digital out from your PC. Carry on like this - you'll get a lot more enjoyment this way than from some INTEL SUPERFAST 9000 XXX EXTREME! that comes in 50mhz faster than the one a quarter of the price.

And then if you really, really must still spend more money, look into some more novel things. Like a ramdisk (saw a review of a simple one that takes DDR dimms and plugs into a PCI slot) and of course a good UPS to go with it. A bluray drive perhaps. And so on, things that make a difference in another way.

RusSki
09-03-07, 19:44
God, imagine weed for that money every month for the next 5 years. :lol:

I dont need to imagine it ;)

Seezur001
09-03-07, 20:58
You're better off waiting until this summer for the new Intel processors to come out.

Tiger Direct and NewEgg are probably your best bet for do it yourself. You can get a kick ass rig for 2k.

darkservent
09-03-07, 21:35
dont do it, no one keeps a computer for 5-6 years...by the time uve paied off u'll need a new 1. u can custom make a computer yourself (if u can do that sorta stuff) for half the price and have the same specs.

darknessfairy
09-03-07, 22:03
Nobby, how about you spend £1000 on the computer and give the rest to me.

Kthxbai

RusSki
09-03-07, 22:08
You're better off waiting until this summer for the new Intel processors to come out.

Intel Core 2 Solo processors, the single-core ULV CPUs are designed for notebooks.
Then there is the expected server cpu successor who's name i forget.
Dont know of any new desktop cpu's tho.

Genuine (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:OpenDetailsWindow%28%27/Configurator_Pages/Details_Pages/Static_Pages/genuine_microsoft.aspx%27%29;) Windows® Vista Ultimate

You also really dont need Ultimate, premium is more than adequate for your use m8.
You probably wouldnt even know the difference.

RusSki
09-03-07, 22:16
mods delete this post please.

double post