PDA

View Full Version : Tried to play fallout

awkward silence
26-01-07, 17:41
Soo...

I felt nostalgic... dug the old classic from somewhere...

Try to install and it says that it wont work in xp... anyone got advice or do i have to get an older version of windows just for this?

Might be worth it tho... it is fallout after all!

Help!

awkward silence
26-01-07, 17:56
Not my day today... I re-installed nc, did the changes needed to get to the test server and it says "client has a newer version than server".

I cant get to the test server!

Whats this about?

calim
26-01-07, 18:12
I'm a big Fallout notalgic and fan too !
I played Fallout2 under XP by activating the windows 98 compatibility mode which can be set in the properties of the main executable. (right clic... etc).

Napalm82
26-01-07, 18:35
Havent had any trouble with FallOut 2 on my machine (Withc XP PRO) but i havent tried Fallout 1.

If it can be run in DOS you might wanna try out the program DOSbox, its so you can play the older games on your XP system by emulating the old-school DOS.

- Napalm

Jodo
26-01-07, 18:58
In the last 6 months I've played and completed Fallout 2 and Tactics on XP Professional with no problems. I didn't have to fiddle with anything to get them to work either. I haven't tried Fallout 1 yet but may do soon.

awkward silence
26-01-07, 19:25
Yeah ive never had trouble with tactics... and i used to be able to play fallout 2. Fallout 2 stopped working today as well

mccaff
26-01-07, 19:58
Haven't played them in a while but I know you can get 1 and 2 working in XP.

Maybe I'll install them this weekend and see how ;)

Dribble Joy
26-01-07, 20:02
If it can be run in DOS you might wanna try out the program DOSbox, its so you can play the older games on your XP system by emulating the old-school DOS.

- Napalm
Will it do the same for 2k? I wanna get DN3D running again....

awkward silence
26-01-07, 20:33
got fallout 2 to work... the autoplay was corrupted. im keen to try the...was it dosbox, to play fallout 1 with it.

Archtemplar
27-01-07, 04:03
You don't need bosbox to run the original fallout...

Right click on the shortcut to fallout and simply click "compatibility-->Run this program in compatiblity for --> Windows 98"

If the game wont install, create a shotcut of a install application and do the compatibility thing to it as well.

awkward silence
28-01-07, 13:10
You don't need bosbox to run the original fallout...

Right click on the shortcut to fallout and simply click "compatibility-->Run this program in compatiblity for --> Windows 98"

If the game wont install, create a shotcut of a install application and do the compatibility thing to it as well.

It wont let me install anything... hence i cant get an icon or shortcut.

Did i misurderstand?

MortuusLupus
29-01-07, 09:13
There's a bit of a complicated work-around to get Fallout 1 to play on NT based windows (ie, Win2k and WinXP). Here's the steps copied from Interplay. I know they worked for me in the past, but I've not installed F1 in a while. I'm about halfway through F2 again, diplomacy character this time. It's nice to have Marcus, Cassidy, Sulik, and Vic kicking all kinds of ass while I just sit there and look pretty.

How do I install Fallout on Windows NT?

NT users can get around the installer by manually installing the game themselves. Note, however, that you must have at least NT 4.0 with Service Pack 3 in order to play the game. Also, Fallout should work fine but was not tested very much under NT.

For the instructions below, I will assume that you have created a folder called FALLOUT on your C: drive and that the drive the Fallout CD is in is your D: drive. Insert your actual drive letters where appropriate.

1. Copy d:\program\win\falloutw.___ to c:\fallout\falloutw.exe.

2. Create a text file in c:\fallout called fallout.cfg and add the below line to it:
[system]

3. You now have 4 options corresponding to the 4 install sizes:
3a. Do not copy anything else. This is the same as the smallest install, but is also the slowest way to play the game. If you do this, make sure you follow the steps in 3b, 3c & 3d below for editing the config file.

3b. Copy d:\master.dat to c:\fallout\master.dat. This file is 318 MB.
If you do _not_ do this step, add the below command on the next line in c:\fallout\fallout.cfg:

master_dat=d:\master.dat

3c. Copy d:\critter.dat to c:\fallout\critter.dat. This file is 150 MB.
If you do _not_ do this step, add the below command on the next line in c:\fallout\fallout.cfg:

critter_dat=d:\critter.dat

3d. Copy the entire d:\data folder to c:\fallout\data. This is 73 MB.
If you do _not_ do this step, add the below lines lines to c:\fallout\fallout.cfg:

[sound]
music_path2=d:\data\sound\music

4. Add the below line to your [system] block:

free_space=0

5. Make sure you close and save your changes to the c:\fallout\fallout.cfg file.

For example, if you chose to not copy any of the data files over, you should have a fallout.cfg file that looks like this:

[system]
master_dat=d:\master.dat
critter_dat=d:\critter.dat
free_space=0
[sound]
music_path2=d:\data\sound\music

That should be it! Just run c:\fallout\falloutw.exe to play the game.

awkward silence
29-01-07, 11:15
I got the thing to work (fallout 1) with just doing the compatibility thing but i cant get sounds to work :(