PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista Ultimate @ 600€!!! wtf...

jini
20-01-07, 10:21
Vista will soon circulate in less than 2 weeks, but Jesus at what prices!! I have written this again, but I never thought they would ever planned for such prices.
Their basic edition starts @ 300€ (and I assume the standalone version, as the upgrade sucks)
Good luck with Vista...

Koshinn
20-01-07, 10:45
Vista will soon circulate in less than 2 weeks, but Jesus at what prices!! I have written this again, but I never thought they would ever planned for such prices.
Their basic edition starts @ 300€ (and I assume the standalone version, as the upgrade sucks)
Good luck with Vista...

300€ ~ $390 US...

That is the price of the standalone Vista... the "ultimate" edition that no one really needs.

There are 4 versions of Vista, the cheapest standalone (not an upgrade from XP) is $200 (155€). Upgrading from XP is only $99 (76€).

So I don't know where you're getting your data from Jini... maybe Microsoft just decided to jack up the prices on Europe. :lol:

unreal
20-01-07, 10:45
Yeah, the prices have been argued about a lot since they were first made public. All I can say is balls to Bill Gates. I'll definitely be waiting a year or so at the very least until my hardware is more outdated and I'll probably get Vista in a cheap bundle with the most recent Nvidia card. I know a few people who can get me the odd discount as well, which should come in handy. Definitely won't bother buying it until I know they've fixed half the problems that exist around playing games with the "Aero Glass" and "Flip 3D" garbage enabled though.

jini
20-01-07, 11:00
300€ ~ $390 US...

That is the price of the standalone Vista... the "ultimate" edition that no one really needs.

There are 4 versions of Vista, the cheapest standalone (not an upgrade from XP) is $200 (155€). Upgrading from XP is only $99 (76€).

So I don't know where you're getting your data from Jini... maybe Microsoft just decided to jack up the prices on Europe. :lol:
Well I am picking my prices from Amazon in France, but I bet they are the same in Amazon in Germany Italy or Spain, But I dunno the language. UK sells in Pounds. So go take a look there and see for yourself.
Don't make easy currency transforms, these I know how to do them as well, but it's just not the case here :rolleyes: And buying upgrade products is not an option as well as I will now show you:
Say that you had windows 2000 as an accompanying product of your pc/laptop (no extra charge)
So you say, lets buy XP upgrade version (you are smart... there is no need for the extra cash of the standalone ;))
And then you say.. ok lets keep being smart, I will buy the Vista premium upgrade instead ;)
So, now, in order to install you need to:
1. install win2000 (30mins or so)
2. upgrade to winxp (45mins to 1 hr)
3. upgrade to vista (I bet another 2-3 hrs time :D )
4. Contact your shrink for a lot of calming down...

Edit: Yes, they jacked up the prices in Europe for good, but this crappy piece of junk of software doesnt even worth more than $50 and I AM speaking for the ultimate edition No One needs, because it will be the only one edition that will at least secure you from H/W crashes and data loss :p

Koshinn
20-01-07, 11:14
Well I am picking my prices from Amazon in France, but I bet they are the same in Amazon in Germany Italy or Spain, But I dunno the language. UK sells in Pounds. So go take a look there and see for yourself.
Don't make easy currency transforms, these I know how to do them as well, but it's just not the case here :rolleyes: And buying upgrade products is not an option as well as I will now show you:
Say that you had windows 2000 as an accompanying product of your pc/laptop (no extra charge)
So you say, lets buy XP upgrade version (you are smart... there is no need for the extra cash of the standalone ;))
And then you say.. ok lets keep being smart, I will buy the Vista premium upgrade instead ;)
So, now, in order to install you need to:
1. install win2000 (30mins or so)
2. upgrade to winxp (45mins to 1 hr)
3. upgrade to vista (I bet another 2-3 hrs time :D )
4. Contact your shrink for a lot of calming down...
So it's a headache for you because you're using windows 2000 and you want to save some money by doing extra work. Stop complaining, that's your choice. :rolleyes:
But for 90% or so of the rest of the people who bought a PC in the last 6 years, their computers came with Windows XP installed... all they'd need to do is upgrade to Vista, skipping the first two steps you listed. :lol:

It's funny you mention Amazon... they're selling Vista for about $20 cheaper than Microsoft's MSRP.

But Amazon France's prices are just... wtf?
http://www.amazon.fr/Microsoft-66R-00057-Windows-Edition-Int%C3%A9grale/dp/B000HEV6LG/sr=8-41/qid=1169284195/ref=sr_1_41/402-5456743-8852951?ie=UTF8&s=software
What IS that? I can't read French, but it's selling for 600 euros.

I guess Microsoft hates... France.

IceStorm
20-01-07, 11:24
Ultimate Upgrade is $250 in the USA from Amazon (I've already pre-ordered it). All you need for Ultimate Upgrade, according to my sources, is a Windows XP or Windows 2000 CD-ROM (and I think Windows Server 2003). You can install it on a fresh HDD, so long as you have one of those previous CDs to prove you own a copy of Windows (again, according to my source).

Once you install Ultimate, you're eligible for two copies of Home Premium for $50 each. That means three copies of Vista (One Ultimate, two Home Premium) for $350. Not that bad for a new OS from MS.

I'll know about the Ultimate upgrade process by the start of February. I ordered Ultimate with two-day shipping. I'm putting it on the gaming machine.

Koshinn
20-01-07, 11:31
I'm gonna probably get Vista for free from my school. We have a sort of partnership with Microsoft that currently gives me free downloads and cd-keys of Visual Studio, Windows XP Professional, Microsoft Office, Visio, SQL server, MSDN Library, Windows Server 2003 and hopefully, in a couple of weeks, Vista.

jini
20-01-07, 11:35
What you tagged is the price of the Ultimate standalone edition, and this goes for €600=$780 !!!
prices (http://www.amazon.fr/s/ref=nb_ss_sw/171-3673568-6883402?__mk_fr_FR=%C5M%C5Z%D5%D1&url=search-alias%3Dsoftware&field-keywords=windows+vista&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go)
360€=$480 is the price for a standalone premium with the "radical" aero interface, which more or less is a OSX simulator :lol:

Koshinn
20-01-07, 11:40
You know what this means, Jini?

I could buy Vista copies in America, ship them to France and have someone sell them somewhere between American and French prices for a nice profit!! Muahahaha.

Except with the whole export and reselling laws I'd probably go to jail... but I'd make a lot of money along the way.

a4nic8er
20-01-07, 12:02
I wouldn't touch Vista with a leper's barge-pole!

A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection (http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html)
The Vista Content Protection specification could very well constitute the longest suicide note in history

jini
20-01-07, 12:18
You know what this means, Jini?

I could buy Vista copies in America, ship them to France and have someone sell them somewhere between American and French prices for a nice profit!! Muahahaha.

It's not just France mate. Its the whole of Europe. France is just a member of the European Union, therefore for commerce protection (or what you just said) items essentially sell for the same prices EVERYWHERE. So, no matter where you buy Vista, Spain, Bulgaria, or France you will buy at these prices.

Now what all of this means, is that you will actually grab one of them free copies of yours and ship them to me :angel:,
even though I guess that with those prices we will soon see Pirates of the Caribbean emerging from the deep blue sea :D

Mc.Neill
20-01-07, 12:31
just to ur information about european prices :P

http://www.alternate.de/html/shop/productDetails.html?artno=yobm7a&baseId=7686

And that's not the cheapest edition :P

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/editions/default.mspx

Semms like we don't really have that Pricing here :P ^^

Here u can see all versions just scroll ^^

http://www.alternate.de/html/shop/productListing4C.html?cat1=46&cat2=101&cat3=999&cat1=133&cat2=101&cat3=999&&treeName=SOFTWARE&Level1=Betriebssysteme&Level2=System%20Builder&Level3=

For 600€ u get the Vista Ultimate with 3 Licenses ... and if u just need one Ultimate 189 € ^^ its the highest :P

Say "Thank You Uba Leet Sexy Roxxor Neill" ^^ <--- because the GB version is aviable there,too :P

greetz *Neill*
Neill Roxx Ya All xD

CMaster
20-01-07, 12:43
Its worth pointing out that the discrepency between US and EU prices is often down to sales tax.
In eurpean countries, its normal (in fact often legally required) to display the price including sales tax. Meanwhile in the US, prices are pretty much always shown without the sales tax. As europe also tends to have quite high sales taxes (between 15-20% for most EU countries) this can make the prices appear to not match up.
I don't know that thats whats going on in this caze however.

Hmm, vista ultimate or a PS3 - which is a stupider way to spend money?

jini
20-01-07, 12:59
THANK YOU Ubar Sexiest leet besten Roxxor Neill :lol:
How do they get those prices???

@Cmaster: yes, Cmas, our VAT runs at around 18-19% and ofcourse it is included to sales prices, but yet just 20% of taxes doesnt justify those high prices. Neills prices are what someone would expect to pay for a packaged, standalone OS, but not 3 times as much. After all its just software, has no costs whatsoever to produce, except what you pay to develop... So it's a bit weird... If Neill wants to explain how this shop gets these low prices...

gamefreak
20-01-07, 13:56
http://torrentspy.com/search?query=windows+vista&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

[ edited ]

SizZLeR
20-01-07, 14:39
In my shop (www.computerbits.dk) i charge 1.419,- Dkr. (approx. £123) for Windows Ultimate, however no one really needs that version, i think the most ppl will be using Home Premium which in my shop costs £73, and for any user who just use his computer to surf the net, and other basic stuff, i recommend the Home Basic version for which i charge £59.

So Jini i dunno how u managed to dig up those prices, but im not surprised that you of all would be able to find MS products at the higest possible price. :lol:

Obviously, either you wanted to lookup the most expensive possible price for vista or you simply dunno your way around the Internet, and when i think back to some other thread where you were kinda taunting me about not being able to find MAC stores in Denmark, im surprised you couldnt find a better price on Vista, if youre able to locate a Danish MAC retailer, you should as well be able to find a better price for Vista. (Just for the record, we have like 3 well known stores here in Denmark who actually sells MAC equipment, so no wonder its hard to find). ;)

rob444
20-01-07, 15:05
Bah who cares, I'll get a free copy ;)

Mc.Neill
20-01-07, 16:01
I think I'm gonna get me the Ultimate because auf the entire os encryption... u know makes me feel save when the police knocks on my door or such stuff xD

From where do they get the prices ? ^^ I dunno xD Sounds like usual prices to me ^^

greetz Da*Neill*

p.s. sexy^^

StevenJ
20-01-07, 16:08
Hmm, vista ultimate or a PS3 - which is a stupider way to spend money?

I got an install of Vista Ultimate from uni, free. I uninstalled it and went back to XP, there are too many minor annoyances - save dialogs not having correct forus, keyboard buffers not working (you can't start typing, say, a filename when the computer's loading up the save dialog - prior versions of Windows remembered what you'd typed), and the performance hit on games did actually turn out to be way too great. I just felt there wasn't enough new on offer to live with all this.

I'm sure a lot of it will be fixed with a service pack, but if you're going to choose between a PS3 or Vista, I'd go for the PS3.

In fact, check your PMs :)

jini
20-01-07, 17:11
Calm down Sizzler. The product is still not out yet. We will know better when it goes on sale, but that is not gonna happen until the END of January. I dunno how much you sell Microsoft's products or what kind of place is the one Neill shows me in Germany, but well if you dont know Amazon mate.... it's Amazon... :cool: and believe me, they DO want to stay in business :p

CMaster
20-01-07, 18:08
Cheers Ste.
I have no particular intention of rushing for either, it was just the US$599 similarity struck me, as both seem rather hard to justify for that.
I'm in no rush for Vista however - a new PC would have to come first I think, and thats somewhat beyond my means at the moment.

SizZLeR
20-01-07, 18:30
Calm down Sizzler. The product is still not out yet. We will know better when it goes on sale, but that is not gonna happen until the END of January. I dunno how much you sell Microsoft's products or what kind of place is the one Neill shows me in Germany, but well if you dont know Amazon mate.... it's Amazon... :cool: and believe me, they DO want to stay in business :p
Hehe i aint attacking you at all, the price i sell vista at is the final price, as a reseller i was able to buy vista from a couple of days a go, im just not allowed to sell it to anyone before Jan 30th.

So the price i wrote here is the same thats on my webshop and thats the price it retails for here in Denmark when we start selling it on monday. :)

I know amazon.com, but i never really used it, only when google.com turns up with a link due to a search i made.
But if amazon points u to a destination where win vista is as expensive as u say, i wouldnt even consider using amazon again. ;)

BTW Jini, i just re-read my own post, i see how it could look like im kinda barking at you, sry for that mate, but i was a bit moody earlier so that may explain it. :)

Regarding the issue with bugs, the exact same situation were there when they lauched Win XP, i waited until shortly before SP1 was released before i installed WinXP, with vista i might have to wait too a i currently have a few programs running that aint gonna work under viste, well at least thats what the vista test says. ;)

However i might get it anyway, install it onto another harddrive and chk it out, see what runs and what doesnt, if everything seems to be ok, ill go with it, else ill wait. ;)

SizZLeR
20-01-07, 18:38
prior versions of Windows remembered what you'd typed
I think what you've been experiencing back then, was the CPU being occupied and then the typing u did was set in the CPU queue to be processed.

However it sure sounds weird and annoying, but well i must admit, when i went from DOS/Win3.11 to Win95 i found Win95 totally annoying and weird too, that was up until i got used to it, then i couldnt dream of going back to Win 3.11 or DOS. ;)

I havent tried Vista yet, but im looking forward to try out the new 3D desktop, a feature ive been asking for since win98. :lol:

Mc.Neill
20-01-07, 18:45
I'm gonna get Vista when I buy myself a new DX10 Card and atm I'm far away from that xD

Bist Vista looks ok but still a bit buggy like everything produced in this time ^^

Remember Battlefield2142 and such stuff xD

greetz *Neill*

rob444
20-01-07, 19:12
Bist Vista looks ok but still a bit buggy like everything produced in this time ^^

Remember Battlefield2142 and such stuff xD

Lol, playing battlefield 2142 in Windows Vista, can it get any buggier????!

unreal
20-01-07, 21:35
I havent tried Vista yet, but im looking forward to try out the new 3D desktop, a feature ive been asking for since win98. :lol:Unless they've changed or unlocked features that weren't available in the beta releases, the 3Dness is only the "Flip 3d" garbage, which is merely a sexy way of alt tabbing. It still mostly looks like Windows XP, but with a bit of transparency (which they also overhyped and named "Aero Glass". (check the screenshot I posted in this old thread (http://forum.neocron.com/showpost.php?p=2026547&postcount=19))

I daren't think what the updated Windows API is going to look like with all the useless terminology they make up each time. Again, bollocks to 'em. Anyway, I wouldn't get overly excited about it really. Only reason I can see that you would want to buy it is when games requiring DX10 come out which probably won't be for several months at least. Crysis will be the first, and is certainly damn sexy. :)

Most of the program updates are just copies (or I should say, copies where they've change something microsopically to try and say it's not a copy (see second youtube video)) of features Mac OSX already has. Even worse, it's taken them over 5 years to accomplish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QdGt3ix2CQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkeC7HpsHxo

Admittedly I do like the transparency and 3D alt-tabbing though. :p

Koshinn
21-01-07, 02:03
Lol, playing battlefield 2142 in Windows Vista, can it get any buggier????!

Neocron 2 in Windows ME.

CMaster
21-01-07, 02:37
Windows ME.

*CMaster Shudders

Mc.Neill
21-01-07, 02:57
Windows ME ? Isn't that the Operating system you install and then on the first startup u get a bluescreen ? xD ^^

Koshinn
21-01-07, 09:16
Windows ME ? Isn't that the Operating system you install and then on the first startup u get a bluescreen ? xD ^^

Close...

It's the blue screen you install and sometimes get an operating system.

jini
21-01-07, 10:02
Ultimate Upgrade is $250 in the USA from Amazon (I've already pre-ordered it). All you need for Ultimate Upgrade, according to my sources, is a Windows XP or Windows 2000 CD-ROM (and I think Windows Server 2003). You can install it on a fresh HDD, so long as you have one of those previous CDs to prove you own a copy of Windows (again, according to my source).

Once you install Ultimate, you're eligible for two copies of Home Premium for $50 each. That means three copies of Vista (One Ultimate, two Home Premium) for $350. Not that bad for a new OS from MS.

I'll know about the Ultimate upgrade process by the start of February. I ordered Ultimate with two-day shipping. I'm putting it on the gaming machine.
So, this may well be the reason for so large differences in prices.
However I just want to know a SINGLE user license, standalone (as I am not bothering for the upgrade version. It IS a lot of work and a lot of dependencies) and I think the premium edition, as the ultimate is way too much for me (I do EVERYTHING workwise on mac OSX as Koshinn already knows, and I already have all those features for free. And later, when Leopard arrives I will get even more :D iphoooonee wooohooo :cool: )

netster
21-01-07, 11:38
when i will ever update to vista completly, it will be the home basic (200eu) or home premium (290eu) and it will be a Systembuilder Edition, for sure. dont believe too much into the hype of vista...

rob444
21-01-07, 13:05
I'm not sure, but I've always disliked the idea of "upgrading" my OS to a newer one. I just have a hunch it will all be a mess and leave lots of old stuff behind etc. I rather do a complete fresh install.

IceStorm
21-01-07, 13:15
So, this may well be the reason for so large differences in prices.
However I just want to know a SINGLE user license, standalone (as I am not bothering for the upgrade version. It IS a lot of work and a lot of dependencies) and I think the premium edition, as the ultimate is way too much for me (I do EVERYTHING workwise on mac OSX as Koshinn already knows, and I already have all those features for free. And later, when Leopard arrives I will get even more :D iphoooonee wooohooo :cool: )The price for Ultimate is $399, but as I said Ultimate Upgrade only requires you have a copy of XP/W2K/W2K3 on CD-Rom somewhere to show the Ultimate installer. It doesn't require that XP be installed on the HDD before Ultimate is.

The only "extra" work involved is digging up a CD to show the installation routine.

SizZLeR
21-01-07, 14:09
The price for Ultimate is $399, but as I said Ultimate Upgrade only requires you have a copy of XP/W2K/W2K3 on CD-Rom somewhere to show the Ultimate installer. It doesn't require that XP be installed on the HDD before Ultimate is.

The only "extra" work involved is digging up a CD to show the installation routine.
Why is Vista so expensive erywhere else? i just checked on a whole bunch of other Danish resellers as myself and they all have vista ultimate around the same price as i do (approx. $250).

StevenJ
21-01-07, 14:31
I just love the way the most sluggish, unresponsive version of Windows ever is called M.E. (http://www.meassociation.org.uk/fovervie.htm)

IceStorm
21-01-07, 16:52
Why is Vista so expensive erywhere else?Are you sure your pricing is for full retail Ultimate and not OEM or Upgrade?

When I install my copy of Ultimate Upgrade, I'll try using an old W2K CD-ROM to see if it accepts it during the install process. If it does, then full retail Ultimate's just for suckers in the USA...

We've known Ultimate was going to list for $399 USD full retail for a while now. It's nothing new here.

SizZLeR
21-01-07, 17:09
Are you sure your pricing is for full retail Ultimate and not OEM or Upgrade?
It doesnt say anything about it being an upgrade, it says the package consists of a license and a DVD media with Win Vista of the desired version.

It seems to be OEM, well in the description it says something about OEM, so it may be OEM, but well so what? as long as you get a DVD with the OS and a license-key i dont see the problem. ;)

As a consumer i only care about getting a media with the OS and a key for installing and registerering, what ever they wanna call it i dont care. :lol:

jini
21-01-07, 17:26
Lol...
You can't sell the OEM version without a new PC, they will sue you :rolleyes:
As a consumer, you better check the small letters mate, because I bet, OEM versions are entirely different than normal retail ones.

I am talking about the standalone original retail Vista premium edition and nothing less. The upgrade might offer the option like icestorm says, but there are a few implications to this, and we will have to wait.

For instance what will happen if your previous OS version was OEM?
Are we sure its upgradable from a Win2k too? What if my win2k copy is bundled in the recovery cd rom for my laptop (which it is)? Besides, getting a copy of the OS is easy, but what differs is the license key, so how will vista validate the license key if you are not going to install the prior OS? and more questions just for starters... anyway the price is high if its anything beyond 100-110euros for the premium edition. Im not intented to pay more to finance Jobs' charity foundation. I can finance world doctors myself instead :p

SizZLeR
21-01-07, 17:40
Lol...
You can't sell the OEM version without a new PC, they will sue you :rolleyes:

Well it works fine for me, the distributor i buy it from also have them in their webshop and anyone can go to that website and buy an oem version without buying a whole computer, so again, as a consumer i dont care what they call it, i just care about getting the media and the license-key, well actually the license key is what counts, so even the media i dont need and as long as the license-key works, im satisfied with that. ;)

Mighty Max
21-01-07, 17:46
I dont understand this really Jini,

for a simple driver update like 802.11n support, Apple is charging you. For every major versionchange Apple is charging you.

And still you are complaining about MS charging for the major versionchange? *shruggs* Your thing, but please stop posting nonsense.

anyway the price is high if its anything beyond 100-110euros for the premium edition. Im not intented to pay

So how did this go with OS X? A One user (note: one user means one user, not one system) licence is allready more expensive then that. If you really need to troll how good Apple is, and how bad MS, go with things Apple really has advantages in. Total cost of ownership simply isnt one of the strengths of Apples soft or hardware.

I wonder why you even think about Vista, if you do most things on Mac, and for the few other things you got an older Windows version that is still maintained, so fine, why upgrade? *shruggs*

jini
21-01-07, 18:58
It suits me if you are confident enough ab?ut paying €300+ for OS license.

What do you mean Apple is charging me for a single driver update like going to 802.11n?? Here are the facts for you:
Apple's major OS changes count in decimals like: 10.1, 10.2 etc..
Patches that are free updates and done thru the internet cover subdecimals like 10.4.1....10.4.8 and so on. 10.4 is called the tiger version of OSX and is the one MS is copying, while the update that will follow it is called Leopard OSX and has a lot of new stuff in it (time machine is the most important from what we already know) and some secret stuff that will get announced also.
Major Major upgrades is like when you move from whatever OS you had before (llike 9.x.y) to Unix like it did for some time ago. So, the foundation is unix based on BSD (if I remember well) using research done for Next (old Jobs' company bought from Apple) which is called OSX, and actually is successful enough in such a factor that you will soon use it too...

Microsoft uses a total different model. It calls its products using names. 98, me, 2k, xp and now vista. Vista is based on XP in such a way that you cant tell the difference if you buy the basic edition. It took them 5 yrs to develop (aka: copy Apple) and incorporate features OSX had long ago, while at the same time, OSX had 5 major upgrades on its system. If I really want to see a difference in my environment, I should run the premium version as this is the version that incorporates the famous (but VERY questionable) Aero interface. I know very well why (if) I upgrade to Premium, but please tell me why ARE YOU upgrading? Just give me a short outline of features...

I dont understand what you mean with terms like User, license and system. What I do know however is that since we are speaking of Unix, we ARE speaking for many users here. OSX as a serious OS for business and work and not for games (aka: Wintendo) it sells an OS installation for some 120-130****€ and you get: the latest OS (now Tiger, in the Spring: Leopard) with full use. TCO IS one of Apples strengths... kisses :angel:

Mighty Max
21-01-07, 19:17
Jini,

A driver update for Mac OS X that costs money: http://news.com.com/Apple+to+charge+for+faster+Wi-Fi/2100-1044_3-6151281.html

The way it patches doesnt matter, it costs me money again after i boight the hardware and the OS? Sure, Praise Steve Jobs!

I dont understand what you mean with terms like User, license and system.
You really should if you have read the EULA.

Heavyporker
21-01-07, 20:03
After thinking about it... the only way I'm going to be even able to touch Vista is if I get a new computer premade from some source.

Which means in approximately thirty years.

*sigh*

elGringo
21-01-07, 20:07
Jini,

A driver update for Mac OS X that costs money: http://news.com.com/Apple+to+charge+for+faster+Wi-Fi/2100-1044_3-6151281.html
--
The way it patches doesnt matter, it costs me money again after i boight the hardware and the OS? Sure, Praise Steve Jobs!

In contrary to most other 802.11x cards, you do not have to buy additional hardware to upgrade to the latest wifi standard. When I buy new software, I expect it to cost a little - would anyone say it's outrageous that Adobe doesnt upgrade Photoshop for free? In my opinion it's not much of a problem that apple makes me pay $1,50 for the new drivers... after all I save on a new wifi adapter. It's a huge difference wether we talk about bugged software/drivers that is being maintained free of charge, or new/extra features. In that regard "the way it patches" does matter... fixes and small add-ons are delivered free of charge - larger version steps require an upgrade. Exactly the same with Windows.
Apple, just like MS, isnt a charity... as long as the value I get justifies the cost I'm happy to pay.

jini
21-01-07, 20:13
Jini,

You really should if you have read the EULA.
Don't you think you exaggerate a little bit here? Anyway add $2 in your precious ToC

I have read the EULA and still I dont understand what you mean.

Btw, tell me why are you planning on paying your precious $$$ for upgrading to Vista? You already use the uber XP dont you?

elGringo
21-01-07, 20:23
no need to get personal here, jini :)
MightyMax just stated, that IBM/Windows systems arent really that expensive compared to Apple systems - and he is right. Apple does cost more... I wouldnt say it's overpriced tho' - to me, it delivers good return on invested money... so as long as everyone is happy with his/her personal choice of hardware/OS we're all cool, eh?
There isnt "the best", neither in terms of performance, value/cost ratio etc... different needs, different choices, different opinions - all legit.

SizZLeR
21-01-07, 20:25
Here we go again, another OSX commercial brought to you by the OSX undercover agent with the codename "Jini". :D *jokingly*

Its just like car manufacturing, even though a box set on four wheels aint actually a new invention, different car brands still claim to have invented something new because their latest model comes with a four wheel drive or whatever.

Well that may not be a feature that other brands havent had for a long time, however its still not the same, a four wheel drive isnt just a four wheel drive, there are many ways to make such.

Ofcourse it takes some knowledge to spot the differences and to understand them.

Sure there will from time to time be features on cars that seems to be the same, like ABS or cruise control, and in a lot of cases it is exactly the same, but one guy wants it on a car with a Ford-badge on the hood and some other guy wants it on a Vauxhall. (that doesnt go for cars only, try kitchen appliances etc., you'll soon find that the whole world consists of issues like this, where a detail like brand makes the difference).

Who made the best choice? well thats really simple, the more satisfied customer made the correct choice, some ppl may not agree with him and some maybe would.

If you buy a car, whats your no 1 priority? to satisfy your neighbour or yourself? ;)

Heavyporker
21-01-07, 21:23
Sizzler...

You fail to understand how many humans operate.

Many people do buy stuff *solely* to impress their neighbors or social peers, not to satisfy themselves (directly).

IceStorm
22-01-07, 07:12
Lol...
You can't sell the OEM version without a new PC, they will sue you :rolleyes:Typically the deal is you have to buy hardware with the OEM copy. There are too many retailers selling OEM XP and MCE using this loophole for MS to not have noticed.
As a consumer, you better check the small letters mate, because I bet, OEM versions are entirely different than normal retail ones.I've seen no difference between OEM XP and Retail XP.
I am talking about the standalone original retail Vista premium edition and nothing less. The upgrade might offer the option like icestorm says, but there are a few implications to this, and we will have to wait.

For instance what will happen if your previous OS version was OEM?
Are we sure its upgradable from a Win2k too? What if my win2k copy is bundled in the recovery cd rom for my laptop (which it is)? Besides, getting a copy of the OS is easy, but what differs is the license key, so how will vista validate the license key if you are not going to install the prior OS?This can all be tested on the 30th, if not by me, then by others. I have retail, OEM, and System Restore copies of XP.
anyway the price is high if its anything beyond 100-110euros for the premium edition.That really depends on what value you place on MCE, drive encryption, and AD support.

SizZLeR
22-01-07, 08:26
Sizzler...

You fail to understand how many humans operate.

Many people do buy stuff *solely* to impress their neighbors or social peers, not to satisfy themselves (directly).
Agree, i should've wrote: "If you buy a car, what should be your no 1 priority.." ;)

jini
22-01-07, 09:13
Icestorm, please confirm: you can sell OEM versions of vista with anything hardware? like say just a mouse?

Previous versions of windows indeed were identical, but differences were noticed while trying to register with Microsoft (I had a nasty experience with it actually). As time goes by, they change things little by little, so I wont surprised this time, if they ask you to prove that you bought that new PC that you claim that you bought by using their OEM version. And just ANY hardware isnt a new pc as far as I know... So, not only you pay a hefty amount to them, but in the end, they deserve the right to call you thief/lier whatever... no thanks

@Sizler: somewhere along the line I lost you mate and can't follow you ;) just stick to the thread's subject please.

@ElGringo: I will just reply to you saying that Apples NO more cost more than PCs as numerous reports from valued reporters have proved us long time (Cnet and more). Actually you can even say they cost a lot less now, if you have to pay €600 to buy a decent copy of OS. Since you own a mac you know that you can grab a brand new OS, fully featured for just 130 or sumfin.

And finally to those claiming that nobody will need vista I have to say 3 things:
1. Some will definitely need it for file encryption that it offers
2. We will be able to tell after some statistics/projections are out the first 2-3 months of sales
3. EVERYONE will need the extra stability against hardware it finally gives, even though I can agree, XP are a lot more stable than W2k were, and it seems that the infamous BSoD is now gone for good, but a couple of times in a whole year. There are crashes here and there though and im only using XP for games.

IceStorm
22-01-07, 10:31
Icestorm, please confirm: you can sell OEM versions of vista with anything hardware? like say just a mouse?I don't sell anything. Various OEMs sell XP/W2K standalone (the shady ones), the bigger ones sell it with hardware. I believe a mouse may qualify for some of them, but I'm not positive as I haven't bought OEM for a while. It's a trivial exercise to see what's required from a particular OEM.
Previous versions of windows indeed were identical, but differences were noticed while trying to register with Microsoft (I had a nasty experience with it actually).That's the difference between OEM locked to a particular hardware configuration and one that isn't. If you change your hardware too much and have to call MS for a new activation code, and you don't lie about it (like say your hard disk died instead of your motherboard), the call center people will pick up on it and refuse to give you an activation code.
As time goes by, they change things little by little,What are you talking about? The difference between Win95 and Win95 OSR2? XP has never had that issue. You can slipstream an XP CD with all the service packs, using an original XP CD as a template. I've done it before. It installs and activates fine.
so I wont surprised this time, if they ask you to prove that you bought that new PC that you claim that you bought by using their OEM version.At this point, I'm only talking about the UPGRADE version of Vista, not an OEM version, and the requirements to use the Upgrade version of Vista. My understanding is that Upgrade Vista only requires you prove you own a copy of XP using the CD. It never contacts MS to validate that CD, far as I'm aware.

a4nic8er
22-01-07, 10:55
I wouldn't touch Vista with a leper's barge-pole!

A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection (http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html)
Has anyone bothered to look at that link at all? I would strongly advise anyone considering paying for for Vista to read that first.

Otherwise you may be giving away money for an OS that:
~can permanently disable your sound card;
~can be open to Denial-of-Service via Driver/Device Revocation;
~can cause decreased audio and/or video playback quality;
~ can not yet play HDMI digital video as claimed ( "None of the AGP or PCI-E graphics cards that you can buy today support HDCP" );
~has a remote DoS capability built into the operating system enabling an external agent to turn off your IT infrastructure;
~ if you design a new security system, you can't get it supported in Windows Vista until well-known computer security experts like MGM, 20th Century-Fox, and Disney give you the go-ahead;

---
\edit

Interesting, and sometimes heated, discussion about this in DSL Reports Security Forum (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,17680612)
---

Dribble Joy
22-01-07, 11:06
Untill I get a game that requires dx10 and/or I have money to spend, I'll be sticking to my 2k.
I can't even remember the last time my comp crashed, let alone a BSoD, and it's seemingly completely stable, frequently it's not restarted, let alone actually turned off unless I leave the house for more than 2-3 days or it has to move, meaning at one time it had been running a single session for about 3 months.

Brammers
22-01-07, 11:50
Hmm I've seen Overclockers (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/) selling OEM Vista ultimate for £135 (€205) or ($266 USD) You can buy OEM so long as you purchase a piece of suitable hardware, like a new hard disk. If you are a MS developer with a MSDN subscription, you can get it for nothing and use it for testing, but testing doesn't include "testing" NC!

For those at Uni, you may find it will be available to you under the MS Academic license, but I'm not 100% sure on this.

I will move to Vista later this once it's settled down, but my XP install is quite happy, and also my Linux boes are also very happy.

Tratos
22-01-07, 12:48
For Uni studenty type people the Business edition is available through the MSDN Academic Alliance. I was hoping for Ultimate :(

jini
22-01-07, 16:53
At this point, I'm only talking about the UPGRADE version of Vista, not an OEM version, and the requirements to use the Upgrade version of Vista. My understanding is that Upgrade Vista only requires you prove you own a copy of XP using the CD. It never contacts MS to validate that CD, far as I'm aware.
ok Im done with stupid M$ and its gazillion of vista editions. They should supply us with a manual for product guide :p
If what you say is true, then the same copy of XP can ultimately bypass and install in infinite vista installations. You can easily duplicate XP CDs as many times as you like, but you only have one license number, and this is what is important. Anyway in just 10 days we will see

Brammers
22-01-07, 19:32
ok Im done with stupid M$ and its gazillion of vista editions. They should supply us with a manual for product guide :p
If what you say is true, then the same copy of XP can ultimately bypass and install in infinite vista installations. You can easily duplicate XP CDs as many times as you like, but you only have one license number, and this is what is important. Anyway in just 10 days we will see

I suspect Vista has the same sort of activation process like XP does, so I'm sure MS would soon clamp down on that little loophole.

SizZLeR
22-01-07, 21:08
@Sizler: somewhere along the line I lost you mate and can't follow you ;) just stick to the thread's subject please.
I havent changed the subject, just using a little somethig called metaphors. ;)

IceStorm
23-01-07, 00:44
ok Im done with stupid M$ and its gazillion of vista editions.No one said you had to buy Vista. If you're happy with OS X, keep using OS X. NC2 doesn't require Vista. It doesn't even require XP. It doesn't even work well with XP in many cases (vehicle rubber-banding bug).
They should supply us with a manual for product guide :pI have no idea what you're talking about here. MS details the differences in versions of Vista on this handy chart (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/editions/default.mspx).
If what you say is true, then the same copy of XP can ultimately bypass and install in infinite vista installations. You can easily duplicate XP CDs as many times as you like, but you only have one license number, and this is what is important. Anyway in just 10 days we will seeThat's why I said only suckers will end up buying the full version of Ultimate. It's not like MS isn't still making $250 off each upgrade to Ultimate.

jini
23-01-07, 08:01
Obviously none said anything yes...
I would happily run w98 if it was stable. XP is fine, but it still crashes some times. I know and I have already seen this table there. Yet there are still versions that complicate things. To these 4 basic editions add another 8 for OEM and upgrade versions.
The comment about suckers is a complete failure. Him that you actually call a "sucker" is the guy that decides to follow the low and buy the product he needs in a legal way. In my eyes and majority's its exactly the opposite that is a mistake. When you are a private individual you might escape authorities, but if you exercise fraud practices, or do this kind of things professionally, you will get caught one time...
I would easily call a sucker him, that sacrifices all his values in order to get "the next super product", thinking he is "ubar" while actually a victim of our times :rolleyes:

SizZLeR
23-01-07, 10:33
I would happily run w98 if it was stable.
There's a stable version of win98, called NT4. ;)

Frankly ive been longing to ask you this question for a long time, why do you discuss windows in general?
What is it exactly you wanna know?
What do you need the answers for?

Don't get me wrong here, im not saying you aint permitted to ask the questions you do, but as well as you wanna know why ppl wanna upgrade to vista, i'd like to know why you wanna know about it.

Obviously you aint gonna use any M$ products anyway, so why do you care really?

The way you choose to discuss things in regard of M$ OS's look like you just wanna drop a bomb in here and see how excited you can make other ppl about your more or less sarcastic comments. ;)

So lets hear it, what do u need the answers for?

jini
23-01-07, 12:43
There's a stable version of win98, called NT4. ;)

Frankly ive been longing to ask you this question for a long time, why do you discuss windows in general?
What is it exactly you wanna know?
What do you need the answers for?

Don't get me wrong here, im not saying you aint permitted to ask the questions you do, but as well as you wanna know why ppl wanna upgrade to vista, i'd like to know why you wanna know about it.
ffs, you are not making ANY sense. I asked politely to stay on topic. Instead you ask a question AND at the same time you answer it yourself. How stupid is this? I am permitted to ask so I ask, it's THAT simple. Why do YOU ask? Plus I never asked why does anybody wants -to- if he wants to upgrade to Vista. Again: stick the the thread's topic and dont trouble your mind with the rest.

Obviously you aint gonna use any M$ products anyway, so why do you care really?
That's another foolish assumption. How did it occurred to you that I dont use M$ products? I legally own almost all its OSs and all versions of Flight Simulator (an excellent software). Unlike some preachers here, that deliberately choose to break the law pretending some sort of questionable superiority by thinking that they can fool the Behemoth M$. :rolleyes:

The way you choose to discuss things in regard of M$ OS's look like you just wanna drop a bomb in here and see how excited you can make other ppl about your more or less sarcastic comments. ;)

So lets hear it, what do u need the answers for?
Sizzler, open your eyes and AGAIN: READ the thread's topic. I wonder how many times more should I say this...

Mighty Max
23-01-07, 15:32
He is asking valid questions, which are related to the topic.

Jini, when you completely ignore points, we should at least get a chance to ask what you really want.

Questions are means to us to locate the problem you have, which is quite foggy right now for us, it is a bit difficult to answer you if we have to guess what exactly you want to know. The 'assumption' that you dont have any use for MS products was surely a guess based on the few info's you gave us. And tbh, if the guess isn't right in the greater parts, your question makes no sense at all.

That only applies (i took a guess here) that you really want an answer, otherwise you would be trolling, and we all know you never would :angel:

IceStorm
23-01-07, 15:55
I know and I have already seen this table there. Yet there are still versions that complicate things. To these 4 basic editions add another 8 for OEM and upgrade versions.Why would you add anything? OEM will be locked to a specific machine, Upgrade will require you to have a copy of a qualifying OS disc. That's about it. The "versions" you're adding are nothing more than different installer flavors, that's it. Functionally the four versions clearly define what's available in each once they're installed and validated.
The comment about suckers is a complete failure. Him that you actually call a "sucker" is the guy that decides to follow the low and buy the product he needs in a legal way.There's nothing illegal about the Upgrade version, and once OEM arrives there won't be anything illegal about that, either. Full has always been, to me, for people who really shouldn't be buying OSes in the first place.
In my eyes and majority's its exactly the opposite that is a mistake. When you are a private individual you might escape authorities, but if you exercise fraud practices, or do this kind of things professionally, you will get caught one time...What are you talking about? An OEM copy of W2K is around $50. Buy that, then upgrade to Vista. Save $100. It's that simple. MS wrote the OEM/upgrade rules like this on purpose.
I would easily call a sucker him, that sacrifices all his values in order to get "the next super product", thinking he is "ubar" while actually a victim of our times :rolleyes:There aren't any values to sacrifice. If you meet the purchase requirements, the purchase and license are valid.

If you're building a new machine, wait for the OEM version to enter the channel and get that for your PC. If it's a new PC, OEM is plenty legit.
If you're upgrading, well, you had to have a previous OS and assuming you're not morally flexible, that OS is valid for Upgrade provided it's W2K or better. Still no value sacrifice here.

The only people who should even attempt to buy the non-Upgrade version of Vista-anything are the ones who are still running a Win9x codebase (ME, 98, 95) or older, in which case I have to question if their PCs can even run Vista.

I don't get it. Do you not want to understand/read/investigate what constitutes qualification for the OEM or Upgrade version, or do you just not build enough PCs to care? Attempting to apply a higher moral standard to your purchases only hurts you. It doesn't help your position because the qualifications for OEM/Upgrade have no moral basis, just a checklist of requirements that have to be met.

jini
23-01-07, 17:38
I used to have a specific problem with some OEM or DSP version (maybe this is how its called in Europe), which as you said is tied to a specific machine, and that shit costed me a lot once, so I do have some original interest as to why I am insisting in full versions of the OS and nothing more.
Also what this thread is proving is, that there area lot of small letters to MSs windows versions and they add more with every new release. From what I can remember this wasn't the case with w2k or 98.

So, excluding you, Icestorm which validated my fears and offered some constructive definitions the rest two are simply trolling, forcing me to say how bad MS is and how good OSX is. The real truth is, that it seems that Vista cost a lot more than w2k did once introduced, and I mean a lot more. My only wish would be for those 2 fanboys here that somehow M$ to publish the most advanced OS ever conceived by humanity, called VisUber Ultima :p and sell it for 2000$, I would like to see how these two would react then... :rolleyes: Of course its still a bit early as the product is not yet out, so we must wait for it to see, but...

As for the versions, I disagree. He actually sells a lot of versions of vista: 4 original, 1 that he calls basic for god knows what markets and a lot of variations of them with many many legal requirements... just my 2c

Mighty Max
23-01-07, 18:16
So, excluding you, Icestorm which validated my fears and offered some constructive definitions the rest two are simply trolling, forcing me to say how bad MS is and how good OSX is.

Ok, now i get you. You want negative Posts to pet your fears: Yes 600$(title) is now 2000$(last post) is too much and Ultimate the smallest version you can deal with, as there is no way to tell what the other versions are (beside reading)

And as I have tried my best to explain that the OS market is not partitioned in the good (Apple) and the bad (MS) segment I must have disgused you by this opinion, so i should excuse.

I will stop here now (like i wanted to do before allready). It is not my problem, that you don't want to see the other side. I just feel sorry for the readers that take your words and numbers serious and deriving a biased view.

(now ok this is a post that might get me a troll/flame rapsheet entry, irony: it is the only one that would partitially meet your "validate initial post" requirement)

IceStorm
23-01-07, 18:49
I used to have a specific problem with some OEM or DSP version (maybe this is how its called in Europe), which as you said is tied to a specific machine, and that shit costed me a lot once, so I do have some original interest as to why I am insisting in full versions of the OS and nothing more.But even if it was bound to a single machine, buying an OEM copy that comes with the appropriate hardware necessary to meet the requirements for purchase (usually it's something "internal" to a PC) gets you a new copy of the OS for said machine.
Also what this thread is proving is, that there area lot of small letters to MSs windows versions and they add more with every new release. From what I can remember this wasn't the case with w2k or 98.W2K wasn't intended for home users, by and large, and also came in various flavors (OEM, Restore disc, OEM locked to hardware, Upgrade, Full). Win98 also came in more than one version - Win98, Win98 Second Edition, and again OEM, Restore disc, Upgrade, Full.

Vista is a merging of MCE, business, and home into one lineup.
So, excluding you, Icestorm which validated my fears and offered some constructive definitions the rest two are simply trolling, forcing me to say how bad MS is and how good OSX is.I don't see how paying for most point releases, for an OS that is locked to very specific hardware unless you do a hatchet job on it, is much better than the options MS offers.

You're basically arguing that choice is a bad thing, which doesn't make much sense to me. Obfuscation is a problem, but that typically happens when you dig down into the shadier retailers who sell OEM discs which don't look anything like the OEM discs you see at Newegg.
The real truth is, that it seems that Vista cost a lot more than w2k did once introduced,I don't recall W2K being exceptionally cheap at its release. $250 for a full version and $175 for the upgrade version sounds about right, which is the cost of Vista Business this time out. If you want to compare apples to apples, compare W2K to Vista Business. Ultimate isn't the equivalent of W2K.

SizZLeR
23-01-07, 20:07
Well Jini, unlike you i aint gonna start being rude, even though you just confirmed my assumption about you asking all these questions, its only to get a chance to throw mud in the face of ppl that have different opinions than yourself.

According to you, you are permitted to ask questions, but im not, that seems really fair and obvious. NOT! :lol:

About whats stupid and whats not, well i aint gonna judge no one, but one can only imagine what besides stupidity makes someone buy a product he dislikes so much?

So however you may not like it, you did answer the most important question of them all, the one that i left between the lines, which was if you're only doing this to try and upset ppl.

Now you, the hunter suddenly gets caught in the preys trap and you start to call my questions stupid an irrelevant, thats really mature and relevant for the subject of the thread. :rolleyes:

Let me tell you a little secret, just because you may not see the importance, it doesnt necessary mean there aint none at all, maybe you just cant make it out, just like you lost total focus because i used a very simple metaphor earlier.

If you wanna set rules about whats permitted in your thread, you shdve done it when you started the thread and also, you shd start by not breaking your own rules, that would at least have been a descent move imo...

Well im done in this thread, as i got the answer needed to conclude that this is going nowhere for no descent reason.

MightyMax: I agree in full. ;)

jini
23-01-07, 21:47
Well Jini, unlike you i aint gonna start being rude, even though you just confirmed my assumption about you asking all these questions, its only to get a chance to throw mud in the face of ppl that have different opinions than yourself.
You dont want to be rude but you are... you contradict yourself

According to you, you are permitted to ask questions, but im not, that seems really fair and obvious. NOT! :lol:
You can start your own thread with questions. Mine had a very specific subject

About whats stupid and whats not, well i aint gonna judge no one, but one can only imagine what besides stupidity makes someone buy a product he dislikes so much?
You aint gonna judge one, but you do... :p anyway to answer this stupid question: I buy products I hate because for a reason, games only run on windows machines...

So however you may not like it, you did answer the most important question of them all, the one that i left between the lines, which was if you're only doing this to try and upset ppl.

Now you, the hunter suddenly gets caught in the preys trap and you start to call my questions stupid an irrelevant, thats really mature and relevant for the subject of the thread. :rolleyes:
get serious and back in reality

Let me tell you a little secret, just because you may not see the importance, it doesnt necessary mean there aint none at all, maybe you just cant make it out, just like you lost total focus because i used a very simple metaphor earlier.

If you wanna set rules about whats permitted in your thread, you shdve done it when you started the thread and also, you shd start by not breaking your own rules, that would at least have been a descent move imo...

Well im done in this thread, as i got the answer needed to conclude that this is going nowhere for no descent reason.

MightyMax: I agree in full. ;)
Usually its pretty hard to follow your train of thoughts if you have any. This is also the case in those paragraphs. I am real happy that you are done with this thread(even though I highly doubt), and furthermore I would suggest you to stay away from my threads in general, because I generally believe that we must speak when we have something to say :rolleyes:

Sammson
24-01-07, 01:01
Why I'm going to get Vista?
Ellipse Mining Management Systems
Hummingbird Document Management Systems
Emerson Delta V Digital Control Systems
I don't know how many hundred thousand users on my network
to mention a few
The world runs on Windows
It's reality

jini
31-01-07, 08:02
So, now that its 1 day after release we can safely check those prices.
I was 100% correct and Amazon was fully right.
Street prices for the premium edition goes for €330, while the ultimate sells for €550!

You can legally get an OEM or DSP version for normal prices, like 1/3 and less, by adding a stupid peripheral, but there is NO upgrade path for you after that. Old equipment dies with the OS. Now considering that cpus/mobos change completely every 6 months or less.... means that OEM versions are dangerous. Buy one and you start with troubles. It's got an unknown expiration date... In my opinion, he deserves a new, shinny, ckassy law suit and at least a ban from Europe. :rolleyes:

Koshinn
31-01-07, 09:35
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/choose.mspx

Ultimate edition doesn't have better security features than Business, so I'd go for business unless you really want to use your computer as a media center.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/ultimate/default.mspx

Microsoft's suggested retail price for the full version of Ultimate is $400 USD. Oh man, sucks to be Europe.

Sucks even more cause I got Business Edition for free. :D
University 4zw.

IceStorm
31-01-07, 09:47
You can legally get an OEM or DSP version for normal prices, like 1/3 and less, by adding a stupid peripheral, but there is NO upgrade path for you after that.You can upgrade everything but the motherboard (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070130-8730.html).

Pricing here in the USA makes Ultimate Upgrade $50 more than Ultimate OEM ($250 vs $200), so it's still worth it. Ultimate Upgrade is the only version that apparently doesn't require XP to be installed on the HDD for the upgrade to work. I'll check when I "upgrade" tomorrow.

jini
31-01-07, 10:16
ok, but when we mean "upgrade" guys we cant leave mobos out. I'm mainly interested in 3 things when I upgrade:
1. cpu
2. mobo
3. gfx card
usually what happens is, that 1&2 goes side by side if more than 6 months have passed.

@koshinn: it is hardly Europe's fault when suddenly mr. Gates decided to rip off his trusty customers. Difference with XP is AT least twice. And I am speaking for retail versions. I do insist that the OEM version is not a product on it's own. It touches fraud and should have never be possible to be sold on shelfs. In any case, I doubt that most of the people that sell it, or those that buy it knows what they are doing. I can really smell law suits here...

IceStorm
31-01-07, 11:10
I typically leave the motherboard out for at least one upgrade cycle on a machine I upgrade, if not two. More than half my machines have received upgrades of parts other than the motherboard in order to extend their lifespans - video cards, storage, new CPUs. I don't know what motherboards you buy, but mine last for years.

And as pointed out, the price difference between OEM and Upgrade is low enough that if you want to be able to upgrade it all, it doesn't cost you much more over the regular OEM price. There are some extra hurdles MS says have to be overcome for the lesser versions (XP or W2K has to be on the system already), but if you already have a copy of XP to install, that shouldn't be an issue. Also, you don't have to "upgrade in place", XP just has to be on the HDD. You can install to a different folder.

Brammers
31-01-07, 11:36
[QUOTE=jini]So, now that its 1 day after release we can safely check those prices.
etc...etc...[QUOTE]

While the rest of us on this thread are wanting you to answer the points raised in a few posts above you that you may had forgotten about.

jini
31-01-07, 12:26
I typically leave the motherboard out for at least one upgrade cycle on a machine I upgrade, if not two. More than half my machines have received upgrades of parts other than the motherboard in order to extend their lifespans - video cards, storage, new CPUs. I don't know what motherboards you buy, but mine last for years.

And as pointed out, the price difference between OEM and Upgrade is low enough that if you want to be able to upgrade it all, it doesn't cost you much more over the regular OEM price. There are some extra hurdles MS says have to be overcome for the lesser versions (XP or W2K has to be on the system already), but if you already have a copy of XP to install, that shouldn't be an issue. Also, you don't have to "upgrade in place", XP just has to be on the HDD. You can install to a different folder.
Mine too, has lasted for year, year and half. It's an AMD 2500+ with a relevant mobo afaik. If I wanted to jump on the dual core bandwagon, both the mobo and cpu/ram should be changed. When I bought that combo, I was running NC fine when the grass slider was on the min. Now this has long gone and NC sucks. Furthermore I did the mistake of purchasing an OEM version of XP which will also die with that mobo. So things don't really look good... We are essentially speaking of an entirely new machine here.
Yes, there are discount prices, and are indeed much more appealing, but that's mainly because Vista are fundamentally very expensive

While the rest of us on this thread are wanting you to answer the points raised in a few posts above you that you may had forgotten about.
For this I suggest that you simply speak for yourself and not for the "rest" of them, unless you represent some kind of a strange union, in which case "we" should learn about. It's a free discussion for everyone that wants to submit constructive comments (much like Kosh + Icestorm + Clown and more do) If, 550€ seems too low for you, then just wait for Gates' next patch "Vista Redefined" which will sell for 1200€.

IceStorm
31-01-07, 19:43
Furthermore I did the mistake of purchasing an OEM version of XP which will also die with that mobo.You might want to try it first. The last two "OEM" copies of XP I used never asked me for a product key during installation, which I found very odd. They also completely pass the Validation check.

I received my copy of Vista Ultimate Upgrade. I wanted to do a clean install to my gaming machine, so I booted off the DVD. During install, I punched in the key and found it asked me to re-run the install routine from within Windows...

Turns out if you put in the key from a cold boot, it can tell it's for upgrade and refuses to even check the HDD for an install. To bypass the check, don't enter a key, just click Next. Select the version of Vista you've purchased to avoid issues later and continue the install. After installation, re-run the installer, enter your key this time around and "upgrade" your new install (or I guess go clean, whatever floats your boat). It'll do the install thing again, but this time after it finishes you'll be good to go for Activation. If it's like this for all versions below Ultimate, that MSKB article has little point to it.

Short version: You can install an unactivated copy of Vista from a Vista DVD without using a license key. You can then "upgrade" that copy of Vista to the same version of Vista using the license key that came with your upgrade copy of Vista...

Mc.Neill
01-02-07, 01:09
BTW anyone gonna order a copy of vista ? ^^

greetz *Neill*

Koshinn
01-02-07, 01:33
Well, yeah, I get Vista Business for free. I ended up paying $10 for a DVD of 64bit edition (since I got 32bit for free.. x.x), should be in the mail next week or so.

Jimbo2552
01-02-07, 03:15
I'm gonna probably get Vista for free from my school. We have a sort of partnership with Microsoft that currently gives me free downloads and cd-keys of Visual Studio, Windows XP Professional, Microsoft Office, Visio, SQL server, MSDN Library, Windows Server 2003 and hopefully, in a couple of weeks, Vista.
You must be talking about MSDNAA, which was also at my university. I already got it last month through that program, they are only going to give out Windows Business Edition, which just works fine. Vista Ultimate or any other editions will not be apart of the program.

Koshinn
01-02-07, 06:48
You must be talking about MSDNAA, which was also at my university. I already got it last month through that program, they are only going to give out Windows Business Edition, which just works fine. Vista Ultimate or any other editions will not be apart of the program.

Yeah, MSDNAA. "Only" Business? That's the second best Vista there is, with only minor (and frankly unneeded) features setting it apart from Ultimate.

Koshinn
06-02-07, 04:36
Look what came in the mail today...
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h57/Koshinn/vistaDVD.jpg

Vista 64-bit Business Edition DVD

$10 from Microsoft.

Serial # free from MSDNAA. :D

jini
06-02-07, 07:23
Nice...
Anyway, I expect many pirates to start dealing with the issue :D. I suspect some kind of "punishment" to Europe from hotheaded execs (aka: Ballmer and Co.), as I can't find another reasonable explanation to prices. One can say that USA sells high, but in Europe, it's something else. Unless buy a new pc, I wont install vista, only pirate copies

jini
06-02-07, 18:32
there you go...OFFER (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Office-2007-Ultimate-PC/dp/B000HEV6NO/sr=1-1/qid=1170779217/ref=sr_1_1/026-1239683-9534043?ie=UTF8&s=software)
for some measly 1800$ you can get the cream of the crop of software :lol: :lol: :lol:
BOTH vista AND office. What more would you need?
I think he must be selling stock options of his company with every package at this price...