PDA

View Full Version : Would KK think about linux client version???

Setlec
02-01-07, 06:58
Hi every one! Happy New Year and stuff like that!!!!

I'm a great fan of NC no matter if the client is still working for API WIN32. I would like to know if KK will use the OpenGL system or will stay working on M$ thing? for example i know that lots of the NC gamers use an old pc and sometimes old client version. What does KK thing about remaking their client for Vista OS? I'm one of many player that use linux on my pc and as i own a original copy of the game i would like to see a linux client for the NC no matter it take a while to make it.

Cya

Pantho
02-01-07, 07:00
Hi every one! Happy New Year and stuff like that!!!!

I'm a great fan of NC no matter if the client is still working for API WIN32. I would like to know if KK will use the OpenGL system or will stay working on M$ thing? for example i know that lots of the NC gamers use an old pc and sometimes old client version. What does KK thing about remaking their client for Vista OS? I'm one of many player that use linux on my pc and as i own a original copy of the game i would like to see a linux client for the NC no matter it take a while to make it.

Cya

been asked ... 200 times...

sometimes old client version

Since when?

Im fairly sure thats bannable, and cant be done atm - (without edits)

SizZLeR
09-01-07, 15:21
Ebay is flooded with new sealed winxp licenses at low prices, buy a win xp license and enjoy the game... ;)

Just like buying a car, it requires gas to make it run, the car manufacturer doesnt sell that, so u go to a 3rd party vendor an get it, just beause we have tapwater doesnt mean that every carmanufacturer should be making cars that runs on tapwater. :D

SnowCrash
09-01-07, 15:29
Porting Neocron 2 to Linux is no viable option. The whole process would take too much resources and working time to accomplish.

Dribble Joy
09-01-07, 15:35
I doubt KK has the inclination or the resources to port NC to a linux client.
Not only are there an array of issues in making sure this new client functions as intended with the servers, there's a matter of support. All the staff would have to re-learn the game code, know how to fix problems when running NC on linux and deal with the bugs that would come up.

This isn't like the usual 'it's got nothing to do with balance and/or bugs, there are better things to be getting on with' arguement that crops up with the proiposition of some ideas. It really would drain KK's ability to function and support the game and it's customers, both in initial and long term costs.

Blizzard might be bale to do this, but not KK.

/edit:
What snow said.

YA5
09-01-07, 15:35
Porting Neocron 2 to Linux is no viable option. The whole process would take too much resources and working time to accomplish.
Schade Snow!
läuft NC in nem Windows Emulator unter Linux?
Do NC run under linux in an Windoews emulator?

Durandal|AI
09-01-07, 15:54
afaik tuts das

calim
09-01-07, 17:35
maybe the next NC rebuilt from scrach will be natively wrote for linux ^^
Let us dreaming !

Pantho
09-01-07, 18:34
I doubt KK has the inclination or the resources to port NC to a linux client.
Not only are there an array of issues in making sure this new client functions as intended with the servers, there's a matter of support. All the staff would have to re-learn the game code, know how to fix problems when running NC on linux and deal with the bugs that would come up.

This isn't like the usual 'it's got nothing to do with balance and/or bugs, there are better things to be getting on with' arguement that crops up with the proiposition of some ideas. It really would drain KK's ability to function and support the game and it's customers, both in initial and long term costs.

Blizzard might be bale to do this, but not KK.

/edit:
What snow said.

The bits in bold... could be done in windows first....

Setlec
09-01-07, 22:02
but the essential question is "Are KK looking foward using OpenGl ressource or are KK thinking to still use the DirectX ressources??", maybe if they start using OpenGL ressource i'll be pleased to help to make a linux client 'coz once the game use OpenGL to make a linux client is just a 20% of work... I'll be starting a training job in 3D programing and i'll study OpenGL...

SnowCrash
10-01-07, 00:39
but the essential question is "Are KK looking foward using OpenGl ressource or are KK thinking to still use the DirectX ressources??", maybe if they start using OpenGL ressource i'll be pleased to help to make a linux client 'coz once the game use OpenGL to make a linux client is just a 20% of work... I'll be starting a training job in 3D programing and i'll study OpenGL...

No, there are no plans to support Open GL with Neocron. We appreciate your offers to help but such a measure would mean to release major parts of the source code which is simply not possible.

Dribble Joy
10-01-07, 00:46
The bits in bold... could be done in windows first....
I mean bugs and problems that would arise from re-writing large sections of the code for use on the linux platform.

I'm not a programmer, but I would think that getting a new client to intergrate with the existing systems would cause a lot of issues that might not be immidiately obvious.

From a purely finantial viewpoint, I doubt the amount of resources KK would have to plough into this and the subsequent cost would ever be met by the tiny number of players who would use it.

Setlec
10-01-07, 01:26
(...) But such a measure would mean to release major parts of the source code which is simply not possible.

Yes i understand your point of vue and for a small company like KK it would be suicide... i know but there is always a way to resolve this kind of situation like contracting 3rd party to develope the game exclusively for you or someone could donate all ready OpenGl engine for you and you could just adapt in Beta test servers... to see if it works or not...

Jezebel
12-01-07, 12:04
I will try to install Neocron on my Linux box and use Cedega (commercial emulator that support directx) and see if it works and i will let you know.

Zerion
12-01-07, 13:34
Last I heard (NC1 Era), the launcher wouldn't get any connection to the patch server, so you had to run the client.exe directly (not sure if that is even legal anymore). When you did that, the game would hang at loading the server login screen, as it again wouldn't get any connection. I suppose you could map attempted outgoing connections, make a virtual eth0 device, and redirect them (providing my guess is the problem).
Since the client.exe (I assume) uses Internet explorer, installing that under Cedega in the same directory might also be a start.
Again, I have no idea about the legality of any of that, so mods take it easy on me if you need to edit this one.

Setlec
13-01-07, 23:12
first: if you want to try to use cedega to run the game (allready patched) do it from ur win partition disk or copy to your home folder... because it will not get a connection to update server...
second: if you can not get connection to the server you should forget this option ´coz i´ve trued allready cedega and wine to run this game...

[Edit]

oh it´s legal to use the game client on linux or on Mac OS... while you don´t modificate the client... otherwise no interest the OS that you use only matter the client is the original software made by KK...

eNTi
23-01-07, 20:51
i tried again to today, with wine 0.9.29 and had some success. i could install the game (as usual) and even connect to the patch dl server (which was awfully slow, so i downloaded the patches manually from the ftp server). problem now: wine crashes, when trying to get the server version.

Setlec
24-01-07, 03:31
I´ll try with this wine version within this week... then i´ll see if i get this bug... IF i get a this bug i´ll see if i can try solve this bug...

Setlec
08-02-07, 20:27
Hi, i'm just trying to make sure that the linux users that use cedega could vote on the voting process to see NC 2 runing on cedega
http://www.transgaming.com/postlist.php?forum=1263&nested=0&limit=15&offset=45

Cya

noriX
24-02-07, 19:40
Ok i Have cedega engine 5.2 and tried today to run neocron.
I have installed & patched Neocron 2 in WinXP and started it with cedega in ubuntu edgy. It runs, but only until i have tried to login ("Connectiong to Info Server), then it crashes with the message : "A fatal Runtime occured".

#noriX

Setlec
25-02-07, 01:30
I´ve tried with wine and cedega and no success may you guys could vote at the transgaming to make this game compatible with cedega 5 ppl already have voted PLz support NC for cedega.

thanks

eNTi
01-03-07, 16:02
i'd actually start playing again, if it would run with wine.

Setlec
01-03-07, 16:05
i'd actually start playing again, if it would run with wine.

I really agree with you but it doesn't work fine u can make the instalation without problem copy the win folder on it then u got all patched game but it doesn get a the server connection and that is really pissfull....

eNTi
01-03-07, 20:39
i downloaded the patches manually and could install them with the launcher. i can even get in the offline demo (though i got no fonts), so there's not need for windows there... if that stupid connection issue wouldn't be there. i really wonder, what the problem is. maybe, if we could find out, which dlls need to be loaded we might get it to work.

Setlec
02-03-07, 04:45
I really don't know may be someone from KK could enlight us XD (that will be great but i'll keep dreaming). almost 90% of the games works without problem. The other 10% are this connection issue... If kk could help us to make it work i'll never see again the loading pict of the alternative OS i mean M$ products of course.... XD

cya

eNTi
06-03-07, 00:35
ok, i tried again and filed a bug report at winehq, they told me to replace the mfc42.dll and well... it connects! the game is working. i'm only missing fonts, i think there's a way to fix that too. btw, i'm running wine 0.9.32.

Setlec
06-03-07, 01:11
ok, i tried again and filed a bug report at winehq, they told me to replace the mfc42.dll and well... it connects! the game is working. i'm only missing fonts, i think there's a way to fix that too. btw, i'm running wine 0.9.32.

mfc42.dll? from where did you get it?

Explain me what did you do exactly... and what is this mfc32.dll? and can i get a copy of yours?

i guess that all linux users will be happy to see that we can run NC2 on linux i'll get e try to make it work with cedega even my cedega isn't able to make the update the trial time has ended... for the font maybe the cedega fonts may help...

and you have done a nice work by the way...[I][U]

eNTi
06-03-07, 01:37
you can get the mfc42.dll from your windows xp system32 folder. in winecfg add the file in the libraries tab. it think it's for the best to create "Client.exe" and "NeocronLauncher.exe" under applications first, so that you don't use the settings globablly. i've yet to figure out, who to make fonts work on the ingame gui.

Setlec
06-03-07, 04:36
hmmm i don't have windows anymore 8| on my comp only linux embedded.... :angel:

cya

eNTi
06-03-07, 13:58
i could probably send you my mcf42.dll, but i'm not sure about legal issues here. i know you can download .dll's from websites like http://www.dll-downloads.com/ , but i'm not sure if those will work. i always had problems with files from such websites. you can still try it.

Setlec
06-03-07, 16:48
Oh ok, thank you i'll try it when i'll receive my new motherboard ('coz my ancient had some problems) and i'ĺl let you u know if it works or not.

Thanks again eNTi

-FN-
06-03-07, 19:27
How about a Universal Binary version for OS X on the Intel Macs? :D

Setlec
06-03-07, 20:46
what do you mean? 8|

-FN-
06-03-07, 20:53
what do you mean? 8|
I'm not interested in a Linux client, but one for Mac OS X would be awesome. With everything going to universal binaries on the Intel hardware, it shouldn't be so hard! :lol:

Setlec
06-03-07, 21:56
oh i see what u mean but the problem is that i'm using wine to run NC on Linux.... and i don't know if there is a similar progrma that does the same thing.... If KK could make a 3D engin that doesn't neither DirectX, neither OpenGL, like unreal tournement engin, that will help a lot to write it in C++ that can be easely compiled to any platform (linux, windows, mac os x, beos and others os...).

eNTi
07-03-07, 12:34
ut uses opengl. actually opengl would be just fine for cross platform. the only viable solution for the future of this game, is to make the client open source and develop the server closed source. you only have to take care of the community, open the server interface, so that the ppl know what they are doing, when coding the client. the client will be ported to different platforms in no time and with the additional manpower, even a new and polished engine might be viable. i can see, why the won't do it, but it won't help them much in the end. you can even semi open the client development and take patches from the community, that would help a lot too. open source is the future,and that does not necessarily mean linux. don't forget, that there's lots of good os software for windows too.

Xeno LARD
07-03-07, 16:48
ut uses opengl. actually opengl would be just fine for cross platform. the only viable solution for the future of this game, is to make the client open source and develop the server closed source.

You do realise you are talking obscene amounts of sh*t, right?

Setlec
07-03-07, 18:56
i've installed win XP and i looked for this mfc32.dll but i only found a mfc71.dll is it the same thing??? this mcf71 is inside the system32 folder...

eNTi
07-03-07, 19:26
it's mfc42.dll!!!

eNTi
07-03-07, 19:27
You do realise you are talking obscene amounts of sh*t, right?
you realize i give just about that, on whatever you said, right?

Xeno LARD
07-03-07, 19:30
I have these if anyone needs them:

http://xenocide.dreamhosters.com/NC/mfc_files.png

Xeno LARD
07-03-07, 19:32
you realize i give just about that, on whatever you said, right?

And there was me thinking you were saying that the whole future of this game hangs on KK releasing the client source code to everyone to not exploit at all.

:rolleyes:

RogerRamjet
07-03-07, 19:48
You're back 2 minutes and you already start flaming.

Kid would be proud :D

jini
07-03-07, 21:05
I'm not interested in a Linux client, but one for Mac OS X would be awesome. With everything going to universal binaries on the Intel hardware, it shouldn't be so hard! :lol:
I second FN.
We definitely need a MAC OSX client, especially since, give it 3-4 years and everyone will become a Mac user :angel:

eNTi
07-03-07, 22:33
And there was me thinking you were saying that the whole future of this game hangs on KK releasing the client source code to everyone to not exploit at all.

:rolleyes:
unless kk comes up with some ingenious plan or a huge a huge amount of money, this game will die. there isn't a hell lot of users on the servers right now and without a pretty big task force you can't save neocron from it's impending fate. maybe it won't matter, because kk has another game in the works and probably knew, that necron has a limited life span. i think it still has great potential. way more than most other mmorpgs i've tried so far.

there's lots of talented and willing devs out there that would probably be quite interested and as usual most ppl won't give a shit or wouldn't know how to handle the source of such a huge project anyways. there's always the problem with exploits, no matter if your code is closed or not. there's not more exploits in open source software these days, even less than in closed.
the point is to control the whole thing. just imagine, they'd open the code and you can download it, modify it, send patches and those will be looked at the "main developers".
if you choose not to open the interface to the server (with all opcodes and such) but only allow the client to work standalone (offline) ppl will have a hard time to figure out how to exploit that. you just have to uncouple the interface from the rest of the code.
even if you open the interface too, you might want to ask yourself, if you really can exploit it, without detection, of course you'd have some work server side to make sure it won't happen, but in the end you'll always have to do this. just because something is closed source, doesn't mean some weird lonely mofo won't find a hole in your code, by decompiling it.

ppl like you just don't think of the possibilities, but always assume the worst and probably think open source is way more exploitable and prone to abuse. it's just not true. there's absolutely no evidence to support that theory and even though my idea to open the source to the client might be a bit far fetched, it's not completely out of the world. they even opened the code for 2nd life client recently and that game deals with real money (sort of), which was ported to macos x and linux pretty fast (probably due to the huge user base).

Setlec
07-03-07, 22:43
oh i found the mfc42.dll lol sorry i got wrong...

lol

Setlec
08-03-07, 00:16
eNTi i totally agree with you. If kk would listen the community and start to develop a new 3D graphic engine written in "C++" for example it would be easily ported to any OS. the problem is that they might be thinking that they would release the hole or almost the source code... The engine is just for making the game visual, right? What about we give a new engine to them and they could just rewrite the client with this new client??? They will need to relearn the source code? Well yes they will but it's necessary this game is still amazing it's not really ugly but i like it. I've played SWG and the graphics were wonderful but the gameplay sucked a bit... until they launch the New Enhanced Game 2 which killed the game at once... Well NC 2.2 will bring balance in the game right? then the next client version "must" be a new engine with new graphics KK, you need to make your own engine like that you can be less stressed by clients like me who use Linux or Mac OS X...

Tostino
08-03-07, 03:18
Do you know how un-feasible that is for KK to make their own engine???

Sorry but the only option is to license a newer engine that more easily ported to Linux/OS-X.

That may be possible if 2.2 is a big enough success and NC gets a whole lot of new registrations that stick around for a long time.
But licensing a engine is not cheap, let alone paying your devs to re-do the game on that engine. So I don't really see it ever see that happening sadly.

Setlec
08-03-07, 19:27
after reading your post well i got a bit depressed but today at my university i was talk to one of my professor and he spoke about this project the Crystal Space http://www.crystalspace3d.org/main/Features it's licensed as LGPL... I thought that maybe KK would be interested to have a look on it maybe it's not so perfect but is kind of better than their 3D graphics engine... And it's wriiten in C++ that make this project very portable to any OS...

KK what do you thing about this project? Could this help you in any way? Remember that the NC community can help you as much as you would co-operate...

Here are some features of this project:

* Generic
o Highly platform independent with good platform abstraction. Officially supports Linux, OSX and Windows using a wide range of compilers.
o Modularized using a lightweight component framework, SCF, based upon the COM model.
o Self contained so that many modules requires no or few external dependencies.
o Written in standard C++ using very few non*standard extensions. Source available under LGPL license.

* Comprehensive and competent
o Contains modules for 2d and 3d graphics, sound, collision detection and dynamics via ODE and bullet as well as support modules for filesystem abstraction, xml loading etc.
o Graphics subsystem:
+ Generic renderer abstraction with main implementation being OpenGL based.
+ Supports hardware accelerated rendering on all supported platforms and cards from all well known vendors.
+ OpenGL renderer uses acceleration techniques such as vertex buffers in AGP or VRAM and asyncronious uploads.
+ Shader centric design with shaders defined in xml markup and shader programs implemented using Cg, assembly language or fixed function operations.
+ Complicated shaders can be constructed using a meta syntax as composed by simpler modules that gets combined on load.
+ Library of common shaders such as normal mapping, parallax (virtual displacement) mapping and hardware skinning.
+ Contains a software renderer with scaled down features for platforms without OpenGL and/or debugging.
o Mesh objects:
+ Plugin based mesh object system
+ Generic triangle based mesh with support for frame and bone based animation.
+ Terrain mesh with fast block based LOD system.
+ Configurable and extensible particle system mesh.
+ General system for static LOD on all types of meshes.
+ Bone based animation mesh using the cal3d library.
o Collision detection and dynamics:
+ Provides bindings for ODE and bullet dynamics systems.
+ Automatic setup of collision detection meshes and syncronization of position and orientation of meshes.
+ Simplified collision detection when you don't need the full dynamics simulation
o Sound system:
+ 2D and 3D sound rendering via DirectSound, Alsa, OSS and CoreAudio.
+ Provides both one*time playing of effects and streaming playing in the background for music.
o Other:
+ Filesystem abstraction layer, VFS, that handles both physical files on disk and files within ZIP files, giving virtual layout independent from platform and physical layout.
+ Abstracted configuration layer with support for settings in configuration file, system dependent storage such as the registry and command line.

* Compatible
o Custom model and scene file format with exporters for Blender and 3d studio max and model importers for common file formats such as 3ds and md2.
o Supports all common texture file formats including dds, jpg, png as well as some more exotic ones such as mng (animated texture format).
o Sound loaders for wav and ogg formats.
o All subsystems easily extendable for new file formats.

although if you guys, KK, use this to make your new engine plz use the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) as default sound utility. OSS has been left by the linux community

cya

eNTi
08-03-07, 20:30
well crystal space is pretty amazing and advanced, but i'm not sure, as of how they could use existing content. i doubt they'll just drop their current engine and start from scratch, even thought that might be the only viable solution to. also don't forget, that they'll probably want to protect their work somehow, which is why they won't release the client in the first place.

Setlec
08-03-07, 21:48
well that's true that KK won't release their code but the point i guess that will be the rewriting code to adapt to this engine that is pretty good... Even the engine is LGPL they can use it without releasing the NCcode, am i wrong?

tarasm
18-06-07, 18:14
No you are not wrong

Kierz
19-06-07, 10:58
No you are not wrongwhy do i always see you bumping things.. you know it's just gonna get closed surely? how many times can you make the same mistake.. jeez

Setlec
19-06-07, 18:45
why do i always see you bumping things.. you know it's just gonna get closed surely? how many times can you make the same mistake.. jeez

WOW, dude thank you for your light, i see more clearly now. (sarcasm)

Well as you can see yet they didn't close and i don't think that they will close. And please explain me what "mistake" are you talking about?

MrTrip
03-07-07, 10:20
WOW, dude thank you for your light, i see more clearly now. (sarcasm)

Well as you can see yet they didn't close and i don't think that they will close. And please explain me what "mistake" are you talking about?

Hey bro? I think he was talking to the guy that bumped the thread, not you...

Unless you forgot to log out of your dupe account heh..

I tried to run NC on Linux many many times, got so far as to getting in game with it and moving around, but no fonts...not very much fun with no fonts.

Flame Bait
03-07-07, 10:50
KK already has a new engine "Neoreality" at their disposal which sadly they wont waste money using it for NC. Soon this game will be no more which is why im guessing they wont be doing NC1 to 2.2 transfers or adding anything new to the game. The next MMO release will be in a whole new setting and my guess is it will not be anything like Neocron even the least bit.

CMaster
03-07-07, 11:13
KK already has a new engine "Neoreality" at their disposal which sadly they wont waste money using it for NC. Soon this game will be no more which is why im guessing they wont be doing NC1 to 2.2 transfers or adding anything new to the game. The next MMO release will be in a whole new setting and my guess is it will not be anything like Neocron even the least bit.

Would it be accurate to say this will be a 'spiritual successor' (e.g. system shock/bio shock or xcom/ufo:aftermath) to Neocron?

Without calling Black Prophecy implicitly Neocron 3, we are remaining true to ourselves. Which means that we will not break new grounds stylistic and atmospheric wise. However, Black Prophecy will be another game genre. Which genre you might ask, but at the current time I am not allowed to answer this question.

This is almost unquestionably where most of KK's dev time goes (look at balancing, there appered to be one coder, one design guy and one more on it. KK is definatley more than 3 people. This isn't unreasonable though - NC is an old game).

Setlec
03-07-07, 18:46
I tried to run NC on Linux many many times, got so far as to getting in game with it and moving around, but no fonts...not very much fun with no fonts.

Hmmm were you using wine? you should copy the MS font folder into your ~/.wine directory i should reinstall wine on my PC 'cause i'm sick of windows booting... and viruses, trojans and stuff like that...

eNTi
03-07-07, 18:58
as stated in other posts before, neocron uses microsoft font families to display most of the ingame text. so ... forget about it, nuff said. probably wine will support that one day. it's making pretty amazing progress... if you try it, please try it with the latest version. as of today, that would be 0.9.40.

Setlec
03-07-07, 20:26
OK i've installed wine 9.40 but in order to make the game to run perfectly we need to make a couples of things:

First get the mfc42.dll from any windows XP, it can be found in the system32 directory and copy/paste it in ~user/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32.

then copy all the fonts from the windows font directory and paste into the ~user/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts.

make sure to configure your NC installer to work with wine then make the install grasp your patches folder then paste it in your newly installed NC on linux.

Until now i could manage to get the launcher working for 50% i'm trying to get it fully operational. eNTi if you could help me to find what could fix the error message that i get IT says it require NC cd... ??? it's the downloaded version...

eNTi
03-07-07, 20:39
hmm... have you edited the .ini files by hand? you need to provide the server IPs and some other options, i can't currently think of. the updater.ini is the most important (and probably even the only one). you may want to set it to ro after you've set the values, i think neocron will overwrite it again, if you don't. i know, that i had a similar problem. maybe downloading all the patches manually and throwing them into the patches directory (with the appropriate setting in the updater.ini) fixed it, but i'm not sure. after downloading the patches the updater would successfully update the game for me.

Setlec
03-07-07, 20:52
well i've installed then copy/paste the pachtes but the launcher didn't even show the NC website.... nor showing the NC 2 server... so i'have copy everything my NC on windows and drop it in the Wine NC Folder.... still no server or website on the laucher

MrTrip
04-07-07, 10:10
well i've installed then copy/paste the pachtes but the launcher didn't even show the NC website.... nor showing the NC 2 server... so i'have copy everything my NC on windows and drop it in the Wine NC Folder.... still no server or website on the laucher

My NC2 was all ready patched up.

The Launcher never worked for me, but jumping directly to client.exe worked for me as long as the server didn't upgrade...

Launcher problems I was never able to fix.....looks like I'm firing up Linux again.

eNTi
04-07-07, 11:07
the launcher uses the internet explorer to display it's content. it's not really important and it never worked, but it probably will some day. just start the game, or as said, start the Client.exe. starting the game via the Client.exe will of course only work, if you already got a patched game. to achieve this, the only two working methods atm have been discussed:

(a.) copy it over from a already patched windows installation
(b.) manually download all patches, copy them in to the patches folder, set the proper values in the updater.ini, patch the game via the launcher.

MrTrip
13-07-07, 05:05
Client.exe launches and connects to server
Client.exe bombs out rendering character selection screen
NeocronLauncher.exe works
NeocronLauncher.exe looks around, realizes its on Linux, and pitches a fit.

So far..