PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Cricket

Koshinn
19-12-06, 09:21
Let's get this out of the way first... I'm an ignorant yank.

I visited Perth (in Western Australia) for the last week, got back late last night. While there, I watched a game of Cricket, it was the aussies vs the pomes.

Is pome an insult btw? I heard the aussies say it all the time and since they don't like the brits all too much, it probably is. I do know what it means, and it doesn't sound too bad. o_O

Anyway, how can anyone stand watching a 3-5 day game at 6 hours each day?? And the game is like... not all that exciting either! Neither is baseball or american football for that matter, but still.

I understand the rest of the world's obsession with soccer (football to most of you) and their preference to rugby, as they're both very interesting sports that I wish America would capitalize on more... but Cricket??? I mean it says something when the only people who play the game are former members of the British Commonwealth.

I was watching the crazy Cricket fans in the stadium, it was packed full in like 100 degree (or 39 degrees if you don't live in America) weather... it was extremely humid and no wind to speak of. Clouds did not exist.

Doc Holliday
19-12-06, 09:36
pome or pom as we are known means prisoner of mother england. it was the designation given to convicts when they got transported to australia in the 17 or 1800s. its more of a joke than anything now. i get it alot here at the mo from australians but its never been in anything but fun.

cricket is shit. we got spanked. glad you like the weather in perth ;)

ps. i love american football :P its a great game. woooo go the dallas cowboys. you probably witnessed the barmy army (england cricket fans. i love the songs they sing but wont repeat them on the forum for fear of a ban. some of the more mild mild ones are something like i cant read, i cant write, i must be an aussie... and more. its all in good humour as far as i can tell )

Koshinn
19-12-06, 11:07
pome or pom as we are known means prisoner of mother england. it was the designation given to convicts when they got transported to australia in the 17 or 1800s. its more of a joke than anything now. i get it alot here at the mo from australians but its never been in anything but fun.

Ah, just making sure it was a "fun" insult. :)

cricket is shit. we got spanked. glad you like the weather in perth ;)

haha... if the weather isn't bad enough, the flies just kill it.

ps. i love american football :P its a great game. woooo go the dallas cowboys. you probably witnessed the barmy army (england cricket fans. i love the songs they sing but wont repeat them on the forum for fear of a ban. some of the more mild mild ones are something like i cant read, i cant write, i must be an aussie... and more. its all in good humour as far as i can tell )
So THAT's what the barmy army is! I saw a bunch of shirts with that on it and was wondering, but kinda forgot.

Brammers
19-12-06, 11:37
Usually when you are watching Cricket, there is a pint of beer in your hand, and a pile of mates. 6 hours goes quite quick!

I only really got into Cricket last year, when the Ashes fever gripped the UK. Wherever you was, someone wanted to know the cricket score. This year, it's been a case of hearing the Disaster's of England's bating, with a few good mornings of Monty taking 6 wickets.

Still well done to the Aussies!

Koshinn
19-12-06, 11:50
Usually when you are watching Cricket, there is a pint of beer in your hand, and a pile of mates. 6 hours goes quite quick!

But it's at least 3 days long! :lol: I'd think you'd need a lot more than just beer and friends to last that long.

Doc Holliday
19-12-06, 12:37

I only really got into Cricket last year, when the Ashes fever gripped the UK. Wherever you was, someone wanted to know the cricket score. This year, it's been a case of hearing the Disaster's of England's bating, with a few good mornings of Monty taking 6 wickets.

Still well done to the Aussies!

Brammers im workin over here in a bar. they hear the english accent and they ask how the ashes is going. every single time :) its amazing how quick they moved on from the world cup and whining about totti and the dodgy penalty. ;)

however in fairness yeah they did do good.

CMaster
19-12-06, 13:36
Its a spectuacuarly long and dull game to watch, in my opinion.
Still, for whatever reason, "The Ashes" as they are known is one of the big sporting occasions in England and I gather an even bigger on in Australia. But I still don't get why people watch it.

pabz
19-12-06, 14:52
cus we all love monty panesar

Koshinn
20-12-06, 04:11
who's monty panesar?

Brammers
20-12-06, 11:29
He's very good spinner - he took 6 wickets in the last test match. He may look Indian and wear a black patka, but he was born in the UK.

Or better still - let me point you to a Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Panesar

Koshinn
20-12-06, 14:10
Ah, I remember seeing him! It was the day where I checked the scores and Australia was like 3/300 something.

unreal
20-12-06, 15:33
ROFL @ "may" look Indian.
Usually when you are watching Cricket, there is a pint of beer in your hand, and a pile of mates.That's the only good thing I can see about cricket, apart from that, it's a bloody boring game to me, plus it reminds me of posh old people eating posh teatime food - and that's coming from someone who enjoys watching a full 4 hours worth of Snooker if it's on. Depends on the match though. I usually can't stand watching Peter Ebdon since he's generally the slowest player ever in terms of shot time but had to watch the final though. A few years ago I think he had got to an average of 50 or so seconds per shot and begun taking over a minute and a half on some that were classed by most as simple by their standards. o_O

This year he was playing a lot faster and was playing extremely well which made him worthy of winning it this year, though I didn't watch any of his matches (except the final of course), just the highlights. He was lucky the Stephen Hendry machine stopped working a few frames after starting the Final match. Even though he was playing poorly he still made a break of over 100 before inevitably losing the next frame to lose the match. I should probably cheering on the English rather than the Scottish here, but I'd prefer Stephen Hendry to win after seeing the previous things that Ebdon has done in order to try and put his opponent off (ie. he used to take long breaks between frames so they would be sat there even longer). :(