PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Guess I still have a Brain.. :D

Glok
18-12-06, 22:44
So I went and applied at a local college after 10 (7 here) years of doing fuck all aside from drinking (I don't need to hear about that.. I hated it) I was accepted within 2 days and had to do a placement test, no transcripts needed cause I'm too old. :p

How did my brain do after all those years.. well I scored well enough on the math portion to skip the first year math courses and take some midlevel college math courses right off the bat.

The english portion... I'm eligible for honors english, I scored 99% on the english test. Nifty. Too bad I'm actually taking engineering as my major. :lol:

So yay, back to school for meh.

Koshinn
18-12-06, 23:00
where you live, America?

IIRC, College / secondary school in England = Highschool in America?
University / tertiary in England = University/College in America?
Post-Graduate = Graduate?

I hate how the terms are all different

Hell-demon
18-12-06, 23:05
Ignore the Americans, they drive on the wrong side of the road.... :wtf:

Glok
18-12-06, 23:18
College is nearly the same as Uni in America except they offer 2 year degrees (Associate's Degree) instead of 4 year, with the option to transfer all credits to a full university for further study and higher degrees.

Dribble Joy
18-12-06, 23:43
Bit like me and my current uni course.

History of DJ's edumacation:

Did shit in A-levels (C-D-E in Physics, Chemistry and Maths respectively) as I did no work at all.
End up doing a foundation course.
Foundation course is mindnumbingly easy and I don't get into a work ethic, subsequently failing first year of Mech Eng.
Pass repeat of first year, start second year but after crimbo it all falls apart as I get depressed and stuff, fail second year.
Repeat of second year goes badly as despite all the councelling nothing really gets sorted, not particuarly enthralled about what I want to do and the likely job I was going to get in the engineering industry, so second year repeat is failed as well. Brunel tells me to naff off.

Go through clearing to enter Physics at Loughborough, they kinda go 'murrr.....' at my A-levels, but I mention the years I'd done at Brunel and it was all 'Really, yeah that'll be fine then. we'll put you at the top of the clearing list'.

Hopefully the prospect of doing what I should have done all those years ago and stuff means I should actually do some work and go to lectures. Hoping for a masters and possibly a PhD before a life in research.

rob444
18-12-06, 23:58

lol, actually it's brits that is driving on the wrong side of road ;).

Hell-demon
18-12-06, 23:59
How dare you!

I will throw my tea pot at you sir!

unreal
19-12-06, 00:01
Crumpet to the face. :rolleyes:

Glok
19-12-06, 00:04
Jeez DJ. My first go at uni 14 years ago ended with WF (withdraw-fail) in most courses, but that was because one day I just up and left and never went back. The 2 'short' courses I took I finished, got a 7 (on a 9 point scale) in both (was a calculus lecture and a physics lecture), while attending maybe 1 in 5 lectures throughout.

Apocalypsox
19-12-06, 03:46

Oi! If i ever come to england imma drive my monster truck right over you for sayin dat :lol:

Pantho
19-12-06, 05:04
Oi! If i ever come to england imma drive my monster truck right over you for sayin dat :lol:

You dont gotta monster truck -

I got one, Made outa your dogtags tho :)

Koshinn
19-12-06, 09:08
lol, actually it's brits that is driving on the wrong side of road ;).

Didn't the Americans invent the car? Therefore, the Brits ARE driving on the wrong side of the road?

Hell-demon
19-12-06, 17:46
Ah but the Romans invented roads!

And they pretty much pwned England and took over.

So roads are British!....ish

Glok
19-12-06, 17:56
Beats me, but shifting with my left hand and yielding on right turns would make me insane.. guess if I ever visit England I'm taking a cab everywhere. :lol:

Mighty Max
19-12-06, 18:05
Didn't the Americans invent the car? Therefore, the Brits ARE driving on the wrong side of the road?

No they didnt.

1801 is the year of the first Automobile, invented by a brit, powerd by a steam engine.
The following years are full of new engines by a lot of european nations.

The only first! in the history of automobiles by amaricans were the production methods of "Tin Lizzy"

Dribble Joy
19-12-06, 19:46
Afaik, the side you drove on was orgiginally determined, not for cars, but for horse drawn carridges, though it mostly only was in effect in the cities.

Hell-demon
19-12-06, 21:59
What have I started?

Heavyporker
19-12-06, 22:28
Hell-Demon.... Jake Hard Christmas Tale now!

naphead
19-12-06, 22:40
No they didnt.

1801 is the year of the first Automobile, invented by a brit, powerd by a steam engine.
The following years are full of new engines by a lot of european nations.

The only first! in the history of automobiles by amaricans were the production methods of "Tin Lizzy"

Sorry that is incorrect good sir.

Nicolas-Joseph Cugnot (1725-1804) Built the first self propelled road vehicle (military tractor) for the French army: three wheeled, 2.5 mph in 1769.

And the argument about which side of the road is the correct one. AFAIK back in the beginning. There was only 1 side. :) So, I would assume a 1 lane road IS the correct road.

But it's all a matter of opinion as some ppl say that Karl Benz (a German) is the inventor of the automobile. Many suggest that he created the first true automobile in 1885/1886.

Milton
19-12-06, 22:50
No they didnt.

1769 by Nicolas-Joseph Cugnot, it was a steam powered self propelled road vehicle "military tractor" for the french army.

Leonardo da Vinci had also messed around with designing transportation vehicles (15th Century)

First true automobile was done by Karl Friedrich Benz 1885/1886. (subjective)

America, or rather Henry Ford often gets attributed with creating the automobile, but all he really did was figure out a way of mass producing them cheap enough for the general public. He was the king of the automobile assembly line.

As for which side of the road people drive on. From what I've always been told it had to the do with the fact that the majority of the people are right handed. Riding(Driving) on the left side ment that your sword arm(Right arm) was always on the side of those approching you from the opposite direction.

Heh, go afk while in the process of posting this, and I get beaten :p

Hoder
20-12-06, 02:31
As for which side of the road people drive on. From what I've always been told it had to the do with the fact that the majority of the people are right handed. Riding(Driving) on the left side ment that your sword arm(Right arm) was always on the side of those approching you from the opposite direction.
Indeed, sir ;)

/me waits for Snow's post on the subject...
:p

unreal
20-12-06, 02:51
What side would they drive on if you were ambidextrous then? Driving down the middle of the road and slapping everyone aside ftw. ;)

But erm, ambidextrous for the bin. When I was still just a fetus I must have been drinking Vodka or something that corrupt my brain, and as a result I write with my left hand and do everything else with my right (lol, no funny replies tyvm). Gotta hate smudging the shit out of everything now and then as you write. On the other hand, it's good being able to write and use a mouse at the same time. :D

Hell-demon
20-12-06, 18:21
Excellent, I have caused chaos and dismay....

My work is complete :cool:

Ozz
20-12-06, 18:35
Say me what's your country and i will say you who is the inventor of the first car ... lol

Glok
21-12-06, 01:19
Excellent, I have caused chaos and dismay....

My work is complete :cool:Wiener boy. Actually it was an interesting discussion/thread hijack. :p