PDA

View Full Version : THN:Items DB and Evo 2.2

Brammers
11-12-06, 16:00
Hi everyone,

This is a little question for users of the THN items DB at http://www.techhaven.org/db/

Now that the 2.2 Test Server has hit, I now have an idea of what work is needed for the Items DB to make it work for EvO 2.2

The good news as coding goes, it doesn't need much at all. Right now, I'm fixing a lot of the broken images that we weren’t able to save from the SynergyXR Resource website. (137 done, 500 to go...) Then I'll add the new armour groups and a few more groups needed for 2.2

Then I'll make a copy of the Item DB and put it on a separate site, so updates can be view there, while leaving the old DB available for everyone still playing NC2.1 Once NC2.2 goes live, the DB will be copied to the live site.

Now here is the question that I like to ask you all. What to do with the old implants and armours from NC2.1? Some have been renamed from "PSI Attack 3" to "PSI combat processor V1.3", with their stats changed, while there are new implants as well.

So here's what I can do.

1) Update the existing items with their new names and stats.
2) Mark all old implants and armour as "Old NC2.1 stuff" then create new items. In the 1.2 Item DB release, I'll add views to allow the old stuff to be viewed.
3) Your own option or idea here!

Edit: THN Forum thead is here - http://forum.techhaven.org/viewtopic.php?t=2603 if you wish to post there instead.

CMaster
11-12-06, 16:04
As disucssed elsewher, I somewhat favour keeping a historical DB somewhere, and adding other content to it as part of a "museum" of NC's history. Meaniwhile the current item DB should just hold current items.

Mishakal
11-12-06, 16:06
would it be possible to be able to set it so u can search for items under the old and new names for a while until we get used to them? cause knowing me it'll take me a few months :P

Dogface
11-12-06, 16:07
I like option 2. Keeping all old items in some form of an archive will be useful for people making new setups.

mccaff
11-12-06, 20:34
I believe Dribble Joy was noting down all the new stats on armour and imps.

Think he just took what they said to do though, not what they actually do when equipped.

Pantho
11-12-06, 20:43
I dont think you should database the items yet

There deffinetly going to change, Armour values included.

Carnage
11-12-06, 20:58
There deffinetly going to change, Armour values included.

yes, for sure.
Better you wait with your itemDB until the balancingprocess is over and Evo2.2 hits retail servers.

Glok
11-12-06, 21:04
Update. Old items will be of no use if they no longer exist. You could though add a marker to indicate whether it's a new item with no previous incarnation if you want to keep some record of 'legacy items.'

I agree with Mishakal in listing both the old and new names (as part of the same entry?) for items that are just being adjusted and renamed for 2.2.

fjutte
11-12-06, 21:18
yes, for sure.
Better you wait with your itemDB until the balancingprocess is over and Evo2.2 hits retail servers.

But.. a huuuuuuuge thank-you to you Brammers for running the item database. (A draft from KK's own database would be great now wouldn't it?) Off topic: And a short request to you KK employees since you're reading our (yes, "our" hehe) forum, please fix that damn vehicle/sync bug before even thinking of balancing the game. Todays syncproblems on Terra made me cry

Jodo
12-12-06, 01:02
I think starting from scratch when the stats have been finalised would be best. There seems little point to me in having old and new names for the items as a lot of them have changed so much that the old name would be misleading.
Keeping a historical database, as Cmaster suggested, would be cool if it isn't too much hassle.

Tratos
12-12-06, 01:25
Here's a suggestion, how about keeping all the current items where they are with full stats and everything with a flag in the editor (which is very snazzy ;)) for legacy items, then have the lists have options to show old removed items if the users would like to do so. With these old items knocking around you could then add an "Also Known As" area to items with their nicknames, some of these nick names could then link to the legacy items as im sure alot of current names which may be removed will still be used by the community for certain items.

Perhaps that just over complicates and confuses things though.

Dribble Joy
12-12-06, 04:28
For now I think they should stay in the item DB section of the forum and wait for retail to go 2.2 before anything is coded.

Brammers
12-12-06, 14:00
Thanks everyone - I think I see the same sort of message here.

It's quite easy to add a new field to each item, to mark them as Legacy. (We got a few NC1 items in there - like DJ's Kami chip (http://www.techhaven.org/db/item/678).)

I don't think it would be hard to add links to the old and new items. So for example, the new PSI Combat Core and PSI Support Core would have a link to the old PSI Core, and if you viewed the PSI core you would see both links to the new PSI Combat Core and PSI Support Core.

For the 1.2.x feature release of the Items DB there will be a news feature called "views". This will allow myself and the THN website team to add a link on the Items DB main page that can list "items that are epic status" or "items that can be made by recycling", or even the "list the good old uber armour from nc2.1" so doing a historical Item's DB will be possible.

As for when the Evo2.2 DB will be available, I was considering having 2 DB's running, one for 2.2 and one for 2.1 but if KK are going to be changing item stats, keeping up with the changes and duplicating work is a daft way of running the DB - so the bottom line, no 2.2 DB until the release date of 2.2 is announced at least.

If anyone wishes to post details on new items on the THN forums (http://forum.techhaven.org/viewforum.php?f=71), please feel free.