PDA

View Full Version : OMG, KK... CYA time, I guess.

Heavyporker
08-12-06, 04:33
http://gamepolitics.com/2006/12/06/in-wake-of-rampage-german-minister-wants-jail-time-for-violent-game-creators-and-distributors/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16070177/

Whooo boy, guys...

Lexxuk
08-12-06, 04:37
Hello! No, Greece tried something like this, it got challenged in the high court and was found to be in violation of Greek (or European) law, it could easily be challenged in a higher court in either Germany or the EU to overturn any such ban on the ground of freedom of speech and artistic thingy.

Heavyporker
08-12-06, 04:46
Having it overturned won't matter....

Once such a law passes, one would be obligated to follow it *until* it gets overturned, so for any span of time that this law is in effect, Neocron seems to be completely fucked, no?

Lexxuk
08-12-06, 04:49
Didn't think of that, but it is 3am, KK support 24/7 still? Anyhow, they have to pass the law first, as a developer of games, KK could instigate an "emergency patch" to disable PVP and the ability to kill (human) NPC's for a while, or turn everyone into warbot cola bottles....

Glok
08-12-06, 04:51
the regional governments of Bavaria and Lower SaxonyIt's not all of Germany.

prozium
08-12-06, 04:52
yea this is just some politician trying to act all tough and make a statement, in reality he wont accomplish much and the whole thing will be forgotten in about 1 year depending if it goes to trial or what ever

or turn everyone into warbot cola bottles....

best fix evar!

NAPPER
08-12-06, 05:56
It happened in the US I think when a kid went into his school and started shooting people then took his own life the police blamed it on the music he listed to slipknot was mentioned and a game was mentioned to can’t remember the name though.

If the law comes in to action what about the girl that died for playing WOW for 3 days straight and then died or something like that.

NAPPER

Apocalypsox
08-12-06, 06:34
Lol...id like to see em try...They would get mugged by a bunch of WoW players :lol:

Clive tombstone
08-12-06, 06:38
If I know my country the way I do (and the knowlege that I have sometimes depresses me so) Elders (45+),technologically inadepts(also see living tech support paychecks ), or just plain dummies, seem to populate the largest voice in the USA. So when one of theyre own claim an act of violence on a new sub or pop culture, that "shepherd" gets the rest of the *ahem* "sheeple", to follow. It seems to be the way my country acts on everything (I wont go anyfarther, since Niddys thread closing bat of justice really smarts :D ).

This might be a little less so since I believe the level of general intellegence is a tad bit higher in germany (I would hope). not to mention the right to artistic expression seems to hold a little more water over there from what Ive heard.

Honestly this wont pass, but what you guys gotta do is still try and stop the law if you can.

Apocalypsox
08-12-06, 06:43
If I know my country the way I do (and the knowlege that I have sometimes depresses me so) Elders (45+),technologically inadepts(also see living tech support paychecks ), or just plain dummies, seem to populate the largest voice in the USA. So when one of theyre own claim an act of violence on a new sub or pop culture, that "shepherd" gets the rest of the *ahem* "sheeple", to follow. It seems to be the way my country acts on everything (I wont go anyfarther, since Niddys thread closing bat of justice really smarts :D ).

Woo america eh?

Clive tombstone
08-12-06, 07:26
sorry, lost a lot of american spirit after watching political developments over the past decade, now hurry, away from politics here, or niddy might hear us!

Apocalypsox
08-12-06, 07:50
Yeah good point. I dont think it will ever pass, atleast in some areas of the world. Parliment will basically say "Fuck you our videogamez!" and brush it off. Thats my guess.

Rogue Arson
08-12-06, 08:23
No worries. To get busted, the authorities would have to actually see the game being played, and ppl shooting ppl. With C2P being as effeciate at stopping ppl from playing the game as it is, they'll NEVER make it in game to catch us.

Liebestoter
08-12-06, 08:55
This is, without a doubt, the most retarded thing I've ever fucking heard. More retarded than some of America's recent reductions in our free speech, the war on pr0n, GTA, etc. You can't play violent video games or anything that has pixels humping each other but you can still turn on TV and watch someone burn to death, LIVE.

"Violent" video games don't breed violent people. Period.

I guess I'm a bad example because in my youth, I played a lot of Doom. Now I'm a Marine infantryman.. but uh yeah. There's always exceptions to the rule but for the most part, the average person isn't gunna fucking blow his office/school up after playing GTA/Doom/CS/Half Life for an hour or two.

netster
08-12-06, 09:07
well the topic "killergames" is pretty much hot discutated in germany, atm. there were 2 highschool assassination, both playing the "Killergame" CS:S, and there are lots of discussions about killergames alike CS:S since about 6 years i think.

main reasons, the killergames lower the acceptance + higher the aggressiveness of kids.

but since there are pro's and con's minds in our politics and this topic will take alot more time to make a real law against killergames.

sry, i am very sleepy at the moment and do not find the right words in my mind to paste it all through in english..

giga191
08-12-06, 10:23
It's perfectly logical that born killers want to play killing simulations. A few thousand years ago this guy would have been the leader of a tribe because of his killing abilities, but these days there is no real place for fighters even though that is what we have evolved to be.

jini
08-12-06, 10:25
Guys, if such a low passes through the parliament.... then as Judge Dread used to say .... I am the Law :p.
It's law it has to obeyed.

As for whether or not violent games makes people in RL violent, well this is a matter of psychologists and I bet their opinion will be asked.

Personally I believe that there are some people that are getting affected and others that dont. But im not a psychiatrist

Clive tombstone
08-12-06, 10:37
Lemme fill in the blanks for you then (possibly) nester. As I look inward on myself, I find that how video games have effected me mentally could be many ways or maybe in no way at all. As my persona stands, I am very excepting of people of all races and creeds (except closed minded people, they kinda tick me off), Though this might contradict my previous post above, I'm expecting it to to some degree.
For instance, my distane for my country expressed above is a sum of my dislike for an accumulation of acts and deeds by a majority of people that I would otherwise not see as my definition of "good people", but I cant necessarily go out and say that they are all worthy of my scorn since I do not "know any of them" so I simply dislike the actions, and the "idea" of the people that are represented.
Now for the video game part. Honestly when something Irks me like this some times I do feel a great rage in my heart at times that makes me extremely hot blooded (think "Must kill"). Does this stem from video games like doom or wolfenstien or mortal combat? Or does it spawn from years as a social outcast in High school, as well as general mental strain/Paranoia?
The answer lies with both. I know games have given me a mindset that, "Actions can be taken" whether those actions could be to directly harm someone (to such extremes as actually killing someone) or just beating them savagely. But life has also given me consequences, which tell me there is a price I must pay for my actions. My mind sets also are influenced by whats going around in my neighborhood as well as my community, hell my entire country.
When I hear that my country is at war, I instantly think of killing people. Why? Because that's what you do in war, you kill. When I hear about crime in my city, what do I think of? Justice, because its what needs to be served to maintain balance. When I see I fight on television, I think conquest, because even in modern society, we're still animals that have roles we must succeed in to be better and survive in this modern world. Now tell me video games don't do one of the above when your playing them.
So do we blame video games? I don't think so. What we should blame, is the evironment around us, and ourselves.

giga191
08-12-06, 10:49
Good point on the war thing. Bush and Blair played too much C&C? I don't see why no one is in jail over the iraq war. Someone must have fabricated the WMD crap, yet no one has even got a slap on the wrist for it. And here we are calling gamers murderers.

Clive tombstone
08-12-06, 10:54
giga, theres a lotta fecked up things with our governments that Im quite aware of, but sadly theres nothin I can do other than move to iceland with my extended family after I find work and some decent funds to enjoy a less Tyranical rulership, but by damn Id miss california a lot.

Feck California (6th largest economy in the world) should Suceed from the US damnit... Oh and alaska can come to^^.

Now back to topic at hand, I can feel niddy's TC bat wavering eagerly above this thread man.

Glok
08-12-06, 11:07
Not much to add... but.

While we're at it, let's ban football (American? =soccer) and throw all the players and fans in prison too. Crime rate in Europe goes down instantly. :D

Clive tombstone
08-12-06, 11:09
aww come on, Soccer riots are the only thing thats distinctly European anymore!

solid-rock
08-12-06, 11:12
Iceland FTL. Come to Denmark :P.

I dont believe this will ever become law. Puting people behind bars for playing games? I know politicians arent always the brightest of people but even they can see that its a big step in the wrong political direction. Theyd get lynched.

giga191
08-12-06, 11:14
We should ban religion, that's killed more people than anything else

solid-rock
08-12-06, 11:17
We should ban religion, that's killed more people than anything else

Tryed that didnt go any better. Soviet Union/Red China ring a bell?

Clive tombstone
08-12-06, 11:19
Heheh, well its mostly Iceland since I know some folks over there that can give me some free room and lodging, not to mention wintersports and stuff I like a lot, AND awsome food.

But back to whats at hand, Honestly I wish I knew a bit more about European politics, Im guessing its probably not so heavily influenced by "money" as my country is, but I could be dead wrong for all I know.

And a ban on religion, thats only 1 of the Big 3 G's man "God, Glory, and Gold", the three prime reasons for every war in history.

solid-rock
08-12-06, 11:22
We dont have to ban religion we just need to make sure everyone has the same religion. Dosnt matter wich one really you cant justify a holy war against someone of the same religion as yourself. Ideally we should all be hardcore Budhists since theyr probably the only major group thats never started a religius war.

Clive tombstone
08-12-06, 11:36
lol, tell that to the Catholics and prodistants XD

clockmaker
08-12-06, 12:41
Much more easy for a politician to start a fight agaisnt video game than to try to work on the *real* problems of the society. (Like, for example, why do so many kids commit suicide nowadays).

Obviously this guy just wanted his name in the papers and he succeeded : some cheap political advertisement, and a few more votes next time. This is just pathetic imo.

Mighty Max
08-12-06, 13:12
It wont ever happen, "Killergames" is a topic that is allways up to date when there are no real problems around.

They are interested at the public affair that comes with this topic, not the topic itself. (they dont ban alcohol for the same reasons they wont ban these games: taxes, loosing elections *g*)

It's winter, let them produce some warm air ;)

RogerRamjet
08-12-06, 13:26
*sigh*

Surely these people aren't as stupid as those articles make them out to be? Video games making people violent? Ah yes, you know, ever since Pong came on the scene there was that sharp increase in war and violence wasn't there?

Unfortunately too, religion will never be banned, unless theres some huge war, which there probably will be in the next 20 years. If people still believe in religion in a world full of incredible scientific discoverys and breakthroughs, they never will.

rob444
08-12-06, 13:39
Hey, reakktor can move into my house, fuck germany ^^

Neally
08-12-06, 13:45
If one day, you hear someone said "sex" to 3000 girls in a day, then there's a matter with NEOCRON :p

about this, my opinion is, They shouldn't think Video games are causing this issue, because i would have already killed thousands of people if I couldn't have done it on them :p

Lexxuk
08-12-06, 17:20
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/08/eu_video_games/

Todays article on some Italian chappie who wants to impose the British system of raiting onto games. Currently although NC is PEGI 18, it can be sold to a 15 year old, except in the UK where the PEGI raiting is the same as the BBFC rating so its illegal to sell it to anyone under 18.

If that becomes the EU norm, in that PEGI becomes a legal raiting system, the calls for "ban violent games!" would have the same defence as "ban voilent videos!". If a 15 year old goes nuts after playing an 18 rated game, who's fault is it, the person who allowed the 15 year old to play an 18 rated game, or society for not allowing the 15 year old to sleep with dead animals?

Dogface
08-12-06, 17:20
If someone kills because they see it in a game, there's something seriously wrong with them from the start. A game doesn't make sane people want to kill.

I agree with the religion killing more people than anything, I'd ban it if I could. I'm against religion as a whole anyway.

Apocalypsox
08-12-06, 17:26
I think it would be funny if they banned video games, because atleast in the US, you have to be 18 to vote. And which group of people has a major amount of 18 year olds? Well oh em gee, Gamers! Talk about a political bitchslap :D

solid-rock
08-12-06, 17:53
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/08/eu_video_games/
If that becomes the EU norm, in that PEGI becomes a legal raiting system, the calls for "ban violent games!" would have the same defence as "ban voilent videos!". If a 15 year old goes nuts after playing an 18 rated game, who's fault is it, the person who allowed the 15 year old to play an 18 rated game, or society for not allowing the 15 year old to sleep with dead animals?

Whas with that dead animal part?

Lexxuk
08-12-06, 18:04
Whas with that dead animal part?

http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=79729&highlight=sleep+dead+animals :angel:

Spoon
08-12-06, 18:42
I wouldn't worry too much about this, there's alot of big money involved in video games these days....

More money than some old, attention whoring geezer, with an agenda has....

Heavyporker
08-12-06, 19:25
Tryed that didnt go any better. Soviet Union/Red China ring a bell?

Hey, hey, hey!

For one thing, these countries went into extreme political ideologies with INSANE leaders. Everyone, and I mean *everyone* knew Stalin was completely and utterly bonkers even when he took the reins.

Don't accuse atheism of being as bloodthirsty as religion. Hell, as long as 'kill unbelievers" are in the bible and koran, atheism still has a very long headstart on these two in the 'humanism' department.

solid-rock
08-12-06, 20:48
Hey, hey, hey!

For one thing, these countries went into extreme political ideologies with INSANE leaders. Everyone, and I mean *everyone* knew Stalin was completely and utterly bonkers even when he took the reins.

Don't accuse atheism of being as bloodthirsty as religion. Hell, as long as 'kill unbelievers" are in the bible and koran, atheism still has a very long headstart on these two in the 'humanism' department.

Neither the Bible Kohran or Torra ever incites folowers to kill unbelievers. Religius leader have done that throughout time whereas the religius text themselves never take any kind of standpoint in regards to other religions. A Jihad forexample is only suposed to be fought against those who would threaten islam. IE the crusaders who tryed to either kill or turn all muslims.

RogerRamjet
08-12-06, 21:32
IE the crusaders who tryed to either kill or turn all muslims.

How the tables have turned...

Mr_Snow
08-12-06, 22:25
Why dont they just ban guns other then those in police and military possession, if somebody doesnt have a gun they cant shoot anybody.I suppose thats too easy and sensible for politicians to think of.

Spoon
08-12-06, 23:04
Why dont they just ban guns other then those in police and military possession, if somebody doesnt have a gun they cant shoot anybody.I suppose thats too easy and sensible for politicians to think of.

You mean like the ************'s did back in the late 1930's?

Kame
08-12-06, 23:17
Last month or something a kid in the school(dawson) thats 1 block from mine(lasalle) went bezerk and shot something like 11 pl, then killed himself.

You know what ?

Anyone that would blame directly video games for something like this is as retard as the guy was.

We might as well blame reporters and TV, newspaper and everyone that was there because they will also talk about it thus far making propaganda for such things as highschool-bezerk type killing.

As they say anyways, any exposure is good exposure, so based on that and on the stupid way of thinking we can assume that anyone reporting such act by words/images/video can be labelled as "propaganda agent" and then shut down.

Crazy motherfucking maniacs.

Mr_Snow
08-12-06, 23:45

Thats a stupid statement I would tell you how idiotic your thinking is but cba just getting my post edited and having nid have a go at me.

giga191
09-12-06, 00:00
You mean like the ************'s did back in the late 1930's? More like almost every first world country, who have much fewer murders per year

Spoon
09-12-06, 00:10
Yer, they should ban cars, tabacco, fast food, and anything with trans fat in it, too, cuz that stuff kills more people than guns do, every year.....

giga191
09-12-06, 00:22
Food and cigarettes kill yourselves, guns kill other people. It's a huge difference

Clive tombstone
09-12-06, 02:55
I agree with giga.

then again, I remember a section of a movie that reminded me a bit on gun laws a bit^^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnuZ5sg8VIc .

Honestly what is legal and what is in this country (based off of danger levels, and the sheer ignorance that makes certain items dangerous), baffles me a lot. Fire arms, super fatty foods (I wont say alchohal, thats been around forever, it aint goin away), and other things, it all seems like a danger, but in responsible hands they wouldnt be, but here in lies the problem.

Most people using products are usually not repsonsible (ether wishing not to be, or not properly informed in order to take responsibility), making all this crap possible. Video games are just a new addition. If people were responsible for there actions blaming crap like this on video games most likely wouldnt happen. Yes its a damn shame that the guy died, its a bummer when anymore dies like that, and its a sad thing the suffering that he put others to as well (wether they deserved it or not). But what we should be thinking of rather than a alien scapegoat is something more close to home, ourselves and our communities.

As populations rise, people grow apart, and people care less for others around them. Its important to remember that theres more to life than just yourself, and that your actions take an effect on others as well (hell, maybe one of the victems was malicious to the shooter without thinking, and thats what sent him over the edge). We also have to remember that our surroundings effect others as well, Ill admit, playing years of FPS's have definatly made me a little more open to death (even though Ive never seen anyone actually die), but I still realize that going out and killing someone is not something you do Won-Ton-ly, hell at all costs avoid doing it at all man.

ahh Ill post more later

prozium
09-12-06, 05:53
no worries. To get busted, the authorities would have to actually see the game being played, and ppl shooting ppl. With C2P being as effeciate at stopping ppl from playing the game as it is, they'll NEVER make it in game to catch us.

That made me laugh in a special kind of way

Liebestoter
09-12-06, 06:35
It's perfectly logical that born killers want to play killing simulations. A few thousand years ago this guy would have been the leader of a tribe because of his killing abilities, but these days there is no real place for fighters even though that is what we have evolved to be.

You aren't a born killer by virtue of nature, you become one due to "nuture". Or choice.

Again, let me reiterate - banning violent games/movies/media won't solve shit. Banning guns won't solve shit. Explain to me, why, in San Francisco, a city that has banned ALL handguns and rifles, I can make two phonecalls and get my hands on a no shit Kalashnikov with plenty of milsurp mags and even some AP rounds?

A properly motivated individual will always find a way to kill. Banning shit won't help.

Allow this educational flash movie to enlighten you.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/230292

jini
09-12-06, 08:40
Last month or something a kid in the school(dawson) thats 1 block from mine(lasalle) went bezerk and shot something like 11 pl, then killed himself.

You know what ?

Anyone that would blame directly video games for something like this is as retard as the guy was.

We might as well blame reporters and TV, newspaper and everyone that was there because they will also talk about it thus far making propaganda for such things as highschool-bezerk type killing.

As they say anyways, any exposure is good exposure, so based on that and on the stupid way of thinking we can assume that anyone reporting such act by words/images/video can be labelled as "propaganda agent" and then shut down.

Crazy motherfucking maniacs.

TV/newspapers and radio, has certain rules that are governed as they DO affect peoples minds. Videogames now have ratings and I guess its for this matter. Kame we need a psychiatrist here to confirm or deny this, as he is the "expert" in the case. What I know is, that kids werent taking shotguns in the past, going berserk, killing everything. So something is responsible for this attitude. It might be the tv, radio or video games, or other reasons... but its certainly something new. And its becoming a fashion in states.

Kame
09-12-06, 11:18
Its all in perspective still.

For instance I think we can assume that kids, 300yrs ago still wanted basically the same things as now, altough now they "thing" seems more complex.
I'm sure as hell that the average kid 300 yrs ago still wanted to beat the shit out of the neighboor, desired the nicest robe and the strongest horse.
EDIT/ oh and he wanted to fuck the nicest women too :cool:

Time might change but ppl dont. Such scocial issues i bet you wasnt uncommmon in say, romain empire or even greek empire (greek he jini!)

I bet you there was still hyperactive kids back in those days man, and im sure there was was crazy psycho kid that wished he could gank everyone.

The big difference is basically that now a not-so-strong-but-smart kid can get a gun and kill easily. Back then all a not-so-strong-but-smart kid had to trick or plot to kill. Like poisoning or stabing in the back during hunt then claiming the dude got ramed by a deer.

I honestly dont think human race has scocialy evolved over the last 4000 yrs.

nobby
09-12-06, 15:30
Quite an interesting statement there Kame

Bozz-Von Mel
09-12-06, 18:01
Wow.. how did this thread stay open this long?

Seeing someone die sucks no matter how many FPS I have played. There is a certain degree of satisfaction from killing someone who harmed others, but it still does not make you feel good in any way.

Still though there must be justice. These quotes make me feel better:

"Ah-ah, I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' And to tell you the truth, I've forgotten myself in all this excitement. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, PUNK?" -Harry Callahan

"'The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crisis maintain their neutrality",

Faid
09-12-06, 20:06
lol dont forget one of my favorites
"It is in your nature to destroy yourselves" - Arnold Schwarzenegger, Terminator 2

Seriously though, people are pissed off and they need someone or something to blame. One might ask where was this kids parents and why did they not do anything to prevent this, such as not letting their child play violent video games. This is a slippery slope with no real answers. The kid was also suicidal, I doubt he got that from any video game (unless his apartment bugged and he lost all his rares and mc5's and KK told him to fuck off theres nothing they woiuld do to fix it :p )

RogerRamjet
09-12-06, 22:27

I don't understand this comment.

Nope, and i've thought about it from every angle.

Banning guns leads to fervent nationalism?

Mighty Max
09-12-06, 22:33

There isn't anything to understand in that comment, 'cept the lack of knowledge.

Spoon
09-12-06, 22:43

Nope, and i've thought about it from every angle.

Banning guns leads to fervent nationalism?

One of the first thing the ************'s did when they came to power was to confiscate guns...

Made it a little more easy to control the citizenry...

But, I would imigine that history books conveniently leave that out these days..

Mighty Max
09-12-06, 23:07
'38 is not one of the first years of the regime. And it was by far not the first reprisal against certain groups of the population.

One of the victims of this law was Albert Einstein.

For every other german only the laws from '31 and '28 required a weapon licence to repair, sell, and produce ammunition for guns.

But thats neither relevant to the topic nor a good choice to compare against. Giving this comparison, is relativating the cruels of the past, which we shouldnt.

RogerRamjet
09-12-06, 23:21
One of the first thing the ************'s did when they came to power was to confiscate guns...

But, I would imigine that history books conveniently leave that out these days..

lol, just lol. I mean, really LOL. If there was a case bigger than upper case, i'd be typing LOL in it now.

I had written an essay, but I really can't be bothered. I'll only have to argue even more afterwards.

But, I am glad my history book left this point out. It must have made some room for the important bits.

Edit:- Actually, i'll put one point. If, as Might Max said, the reprisal was made in 1938, then this point is irrelevant, but after the masses of armed Communist etc uprisings around Germany in the post-1WW period, any government trying to bring stability to Germany (or any country in that situation), would have been stupid not to issue such a reprisal.

jini
09-12-06, 23:52

And this is the excuse USA gives to you nowadays so that you can register your own weapons for selfdefence :P? Terms like modern world and Democracy is what we had in 30s?

Glok
09-12-06, 23:58
The US makes no such excuses as far as I'm aware. We're just a little too gun happy to consider banning the things. :p

edit: And as pointed out before, banning guns just creates more criminals and black market suppliers, at least here that is the case. Even with most non-full auto guns being legal, we still have a huge black market gun trade. Also, if you know anything about 'the war on drugs' you'll know what happens in America when you try to tell people what they can and can't have. :lol:

Clive tombstone
10-12-06, 01:56
The point is, gun control can only be that, controlled. When you let something like my country did with firearms go for the many decades that it has, it becomes almost irriversable. Lets also not forget that weapons manufacturers are ammong some of the most wealthy conglomerates existing in my country as well, you can imagin what effect they have over various groups of politics and social groups.

Your best bet is if your not in america, try a movement for social change, because otherwise, in america now, theres too much going against limitations of firearms.

Ill also admit, I like firing guns, but would I care if they went away? meh, a little, I dont do anything with them besides going to a shooting range ever, or occasionally go hunting (game birds only). But obviously other people have other wants and needs for weapons in general, so it cant really be helped.

So like some people have said above though, guns or games, are not the problem, its the people that use them. Yes, a gun intensive environment (much similar to what existed in the case of Columbine highschool), can influence violence, as can violent video games, but he real problem lies in the hands of stupid people, that act upon stupid impulses.

I probably said something stupid to piss someone off in this last thread, but Im a little tied up with finals right now to really check/care.

Rogue Arson
10-12-06, 02:18
We're kinda off the point.

Banning a video game genre based on ppl shooting ppl is funny as hell. I've played damn near every fps out there at one point or another, and none of them have sent me a rifle or pistol, the ammunition for said weapons, and caused me to walk into a building and unload on ppl. If the will and the lack of conciense are already there, then its gonna happen. Blaming a video game for a sick mind, or for the lack of respect for life is foolish as hell.

For the record, this kinda "ban violence" attitude has been around long before video games. There was a movement in north america at one time to ban Tome and Jerry (old ass cartoon) and some Loony Toons cartoons for their portrayal of violence. Stabbings in high schools in the late 60s and early 70s were blame on such violent cartoons desensitizing the teenagers... causing them to pull knives and stab each other. Never understood that argument either.

Kame
10-12-06, 03:39
I have to agree.
50 years ago kids would slash each others with boxcuters. Now they just get a gun for 350$.

And of course weapon companies are very rich and have lots of powers. I wouldnt be surprised that ppl actually owning the shares of the company regularly have dinners with congressmen. In some case they probably even are congressmen.
Weaponry is big business so nothing shall stop the wealth from flowing.
Ultimately pro-weaponry organization probably hires ppl to make studies that will corobore whatever they say, in this case, that video games are direct cause of such acts.
They pay up scociologist and psychologist to make studies and put the blame on something else then the real reasons.
(@ Jini -why the hell you think professional do studies for ? Fun ? Course not, they do it for money, and the ppl that actualy pays them probably pays to get his opinion approved, wouldnt they ?)

And id also like to add:

The whole history of humanity is filled with violence. from Cain & Abel (bible) to the slavery of black ppl, religion wars, holy crusade, holocost all the way to the H-bomb.
Lets face it, were violent.
We, as a whole, produce violence on large scale, so how are we supposed to expect individuals to not use violence or ultimately, to just have morals.

jonus
10-12-06, 18:02
Violence is just one way we keep our population down..... pretty sad, eh? Video games, however, really aren't helping our population, though, as the old server EARTH is at 1224532345% right now :p Talk about lag.....

RogerRamjet
10-12-06, 18:40
Violence is just one way we keep our population down..... pretty sad, eh? Video games, however, really aren't helping our population, though, as the old server EARTH is at 1224532345% right now :p Talk about lag.....

What do you mean?

All these internet geeks will never procreate :eek: