PDA

View Full Version : Q: DX7 vs. DX9 Performance

Assimilator
25-11-06, 04:08
I've complained before about how my DX9 windowed 1280x720 runs really poorly now (for no apparent reason).

I tried running DX7, and wow, great frames, the game looks BETTER (the face textures have details, freckles, etc)... Not like DX9 where they were all smudgy looking. Also, with the TT apartments, the floor is reflective via DX7. DX9... Nope.

However, with DX7, I keep getting disconnected from the sever every 5 or so seconds... Kicked back to main screen, then FRE.

Could anyone offer a reason?

System Specs:
AMD FX-55
2GB DDR
ATI X850XT w/ latest drivers (even tried Omega)

Richard Slade
25-11-06, 05:56
Stop using shitty ATI cards..
:angel:

Assimilator
25-11-06, 10:37
Stop using shitty ATI cards..
:angel:

The game ran fine when I first installed NC. Then, without any hardware / major software changes, it went from 100+ FPS down to 30-40 now.

unreal
25-11-06, 15:23
I thought I'd switch to DX7 yesterday because I missed the reflections and whatnot. I had vegetation on full and it didn't appear to wtfpwn my FPS like it normally does in DX9 which was very refreshing to see in The Wastelands because I usually have it on the lowest setting, but then I reached CRP and it was terrifically bad which forced me to switch back to DX9 again about 5mins later. :p

I saw one thing I completely forget existed in Neocron though. Blood splatter when you take damage. :D It's always the small things that really make a difference in Neocron. See the blue sentence in my signature for more detail. *cough* ;) This post isn't really helpful to you but I wish they would get some of the DX7 things working in DX9. Getting blood splatter on the screen in all its minimalistic glory adds a pretty big difference to the feel you get while playing as well.

Dribble Joy
25-11-06, 16:54
I run DX9 and don't have any issues, if anything it runs worse in DX7.

Only thing that bugs me is the mem leak and the juddering that heppens when new textures are loaded which I didn't get in NC1.

And I use a 'shitty ATI' card.

netster
25-11-06, 19:10
well, got a 6800GT in atm and i had a 9800xx(dunno which version) in last time. i dont see any preformance issues on both. somewhere else must be my bottleneck, cause inormally run at 62fps(vsync on, got more then 250fps when i stand in my apt with vsync off) in ug and some ops. but there are other ops, where i lag out to 50, a few where i lag out to 40 ... and devourers lag me down to 25. inside cycrow op i normally get about 50-55 fps at the worst points.

running a 3200+ atm, 1gig ram... all with normal timings and shit. i think i need a heavy rework on my box :/

edit: or kk just needs to rework their maps to fix :p