PDA

View Full Version : Router NC problem

nobby
18-11-06, 21:12
My friend has a Linksys router, all ports are open.

Whenever he logs in, he gets Syncronising Straight away.
He's not been able to walk one step...

What could he do to fix this problem ?
It is Wired, not Wireless

unreal
19-11-06, 05:07
Getting stuck in sync doesn't neccessarily mean the router is to blame. It's usually because of lag/packet loss. Tell him to test the quality of his line. What type of connection does he have, and with which ISP does he get the services from? If it's any form of DSL, the packet loss will usually be down to bad wiring or some sort of interferance with the signal. General phone wiring in your house is usually rather old unless you have everything redone or if you're moving into some brand spanking new building.

I had a really terrible problem a few weeks ago where my ping would be fine, but I would have horrific lag due to rather bad packet loss, and my wiring itself was fine, microfilters were fine, router/modem was fine. It seemed to be some sort of dirt on the pins after I cleaned them all and noticed the problem had gone. We all should know how dirt and dust gathers up in places where you don't clean often. That's one thing he could try at least.

It might even be down to the settings placed by his ISP. Most ISP's these days manage the packets to try and filter out data transferred from torrent/P2P/similair services to stop people hogging bandwidth. But it's unlikely that's the case here.

What's his signal to noise ratio? (The router should list it somewhere) It can sometimes be a hint as to what the problem is.