PDA

View Full Version : First-person vs Third-person PvP

Dogface
14-11-06, 01:09
This has been getting to me for a few weeks now, I'm one of those people that prefer to pvp in first person mode. I don't just prefer it, I can't do it any other way. The thing that's really annoying me is the gfx on screen for weapons. For example.. The fire.. Oh the fire.. Once I get hit with any fire PSI module, holy lightning, CS, judge, exe, xbow - hell even poison, it's game over for me. If I've not fallen off my chair wailing in pain covering my eyes, then I still have a chance to switch to third-person aiming and watch myself die instead. Even having a shelter and a heal running at the same time is extremely off-putting.. Can't see a fecking thing, nothing. I may aswell turn off my monitor and try it that way. At least then I'll have my eye-sight spared.

I know it adds a 'realism' or 'logic' factor to it, but then again, who actually is able to watch themself from behind shooting a gun? First-person players need to be able to turn these gfx off somehow, otherwise I may be forced to reroll a tradeskiller :eek:

Is there any way we (I?) could get this addressed as 'balancing' sometime? Because the advantages a third-person player gets over a first-person player is massive.

Dribble Joy
14-11-06, 01:27
Since when did judges, CSs, xbows do fire stacks/fire effects? And niether does poison.

I agree though, the shelter and fire effects, in addition to the deflector responces to force/pierce, are seriously annoying.
3rd does have some big advantages, less recticle movement with yours, no recoil and no impact effects. That's why most people use it.

I do use it by the way, I can't use 3rd either. Something should be done though.

Dogface
14-11-06, 01:38
It's not the fire from a CS or the Judge, it's the plasma explosion. The poison, it's constantly there too. It's pretty damn off-putting when it's hard to see. Btw, I much prefer to play with low brightness settings too, makes the skins look great and adds a lot more atmosphere to the game and I don't really want to have to ruin the sweet look that nc2.1 gave us, just to be able to pvp comfortably.

[edit]

You can appreciate the look of the guns much more in first-person too. Of course not every gun looks great :p

/me want's his Libby, Healing Light and CS skins back :(

Kierz
14-11-06, 02:27
/signed

i hate 3rd person and have always hated 3rd person, i'm a fucking quake player but i have to play in 3rd person cause 1st person is so unviable pvpwise :/

Apocalypsox
14-11-06, 02:55
first on my rifles, third on everything else. I prefer third on everything else because i can see my surroundings better, and tell where people are and where i need to shoot.

Using a SH in third person is a pain in the ass though.

BaDDaSS
14-11-06, 05:33
I always use 1st person tbh. I just like that style - I'm a CS player.

Pantho
14-11-06, 05:40
I always use 1st person tbh. I just like that style - I'm a CS player.

so am i, but fighting some1 with a Dev in 1st aint 2 easy

Apocalypsox
14-11-06, 05:59
i dont get why dev bugs people so much- now if its cerosine and you burn i can understand that. never even dropped my FPS...

Pantho
14-11-06, 08:05
i dont get why dev bugs people so much- now if its cerosine and you burn i can understand that. never even dropped my FPS...

2fps wit Dev

and Xbow actually pauses my client for a split second -

, im formatting my machine this week... its abit fucked atm

jini
14-11-06, 08:33
It's easy: use 1st person for your usual figts/business, but learn using 3rd for pvp/op fights. You can begin by tampering the distance factor by 10 then gradually increase it

solid-rock
14-11-06, 14:28
It's easy: use 1st person for your usual figts/business, but learn using 3rd for pvp/op fights. You can begin by tampering the distance factor by 10 then gradually increase it

Thats what i do usually. Ofcourse i sometimes find myself PVEing in 3rd when im using a Speedgat on smaller targets.

NAPPER
15-11-06, 08:20
i couldnt play in 3rd when i frist started but then i got used to it and now look at me i still get pwned lol

Glok
15-11-06, 11:17
First person almost all the time.. the aiming in 3rd just seems alien to me.

solid-rock
15-11-06, 12:27
First person almost all the time.. the aiming in 3rd just seems alien to me.

Its abit weird but at the end of the day the aiming is better. You have a more steady reticle, it dosnt get blocked by stack as fast and shelter and ofcourse you have a borader wiev so it easyer to keep track of someone circling you.

numb
15-11-06, 13:08
I started out first person all the time, but after quite a few duels etc in NC1 I made the decision 3rd was better. Barely any recoil, a much better area of view and you can shoot out of your arse ;) It's a shame 3rd person is such an advantage, I'd much prefer to play in first person mode all the time.

giga191
15-11-06, 13:24
It's stupid how the recoil in third person makes your reticle go downwards instead of up. If you fight in first person, the recoil makes your reticle go up so that you're not aiming at the person any more

solid-rock
15-11-06, 13:42
Only thing you shouldnt use in 3rd person is AOE weapon. When i fire my Moonstriker in 3rd i hit my feet even though i might be aiming at something 200 meters in front of me.

Faid
15-11-06, 17:23
Raptor 1st person view owns Revenge in 3rd person :)

unreal
15-11-06, 17:27
Only thing you shouldnt use in 3rd person is AOE weapon. When i fire my Moonstriker in 3rd i hit my feet even though i might be aiming at something 200 meters in front of me.Yup. Just aim slightly higher up from where you want to hit and it'll be fine. Still a pain in the arse though.

Flub900
15-11-06, 17:52
Only thing you shouldnt use in 3rd person is AOE weapon. When i fire my Moonstriker in 3rd i hit my feet even though i might be aiming at something 200 meters in front of me.

if you ever aim at something in 3rd person then switch to 1st person, ull notice that you are aiming at the ground (if you dont move ur mouse)

this is because the 3rd person view is from above and behind instead of just behind, so it makes sense that you would be aiming down if you switch into 1st person from 3rd

edit: simple soultion is to just use 1st person when firing AoE weapons

Okran
15-11-06, 18:04
I hardly use 3rd person, I much prefer 1st person views. As so many of you have said it is just more comfortable for me personally too.

3rd person just should not be an advantage over 1st thats clear though. However all the while there is the option to use either people will use 3rd over 1st because of its clear advantages. I doubt they would remove a feature like that anyways.

Dogface
15-11-06, 18:41
Perhaps as a fix we could still have the effects that are present now, except have them only appear around the outter part of the screen, so it doesn't completely block out peoples vision, allowing them to still aim.

Wouldn't mind an option to turn the effects off though :angel:

ROZZER187
15-11-06, 20:43
i usually use 3rd person, only time i use 1st person is when im usings pistols. usually slasher and x bow.

Faid
16-11-06, 02:56
1st person CS tank duels in Neoofrag are fun as well as 1st person Silent HUnter duels :)