PDA

View Full Version : [OT] IE 7 with Norton AntiVirus 2007

naphead
11-11-06, 23:37
Is anyone running this successfully. I just purchased Norton AV 2007 Thurs. and today it's messed up. Called tech support and after about 5 ppl this tech said that IE7 is not supported and that I need to un-install this. I want to know if anyone else is having this issue? Also, if your a company as big as Norton shouldn't you have this fixed. I know how hard it is to keep up with M$, but if your this company you HAVE to. Especially since M$ is coming out with their own flavor of an AntiVirus. I mean who better to protect the O/S than the makers?

Comie
11-11-06, 23:57
i dont use norton, i find Avast to be alot better, and its free :)...

and i havent had any issues with IE7 and avast.

i know that doesnt really help you, but if you can get a refund on norton... then alls good!

SizZLeR
12-11-06, 02:55
Well i run IE7 and NAV 2006, no problems what so ever...
So if they say at symantec that NAV 2007 doesnt supp IE7 then they really oughta put the 2007 version on the shelf and stick with 2006. :lol:

Regarding what AV app to use, there will be a different point of view for everyone, ive been running with norton for years, no problems, no viruses and no weird shit fucking up my computer, so thats basically good enough for me.

I have come across some ppl though who used some sort of "freeware" AV app and mostly they catch the virus if one comes by, unfortunately several of those ppl r having problems because that freeware AV wont let them run some programs because it thinks its a virus...

Normally the best products r the ones that are payed for, simply because its mans nature to try just a little harder when it gets him money in his pocket. ;)

Brammers
12-11-06, 04:37
Hmm, been running AV2007 a few weeks, but IE7 hasn't been installed yet. Sticking with IE6 for now until it gets used by more than 50% of the the internet.

If you need the features of IE7 consider using Firefox 2.0.

A bit OT: Some stats from the THN - 55% use IE and 38% use Firefox. Out of the people who use IE, 85% use IE6 and 13% use IE7. For Firefox 35% use 2.0 and 58% still use 1.5 Since 1.5 has just had a recent update I find the people using 1.5.0.7 is 42% and 1.5.0.8 is 16%

jini
12-11-06, 08:10
I am Using MacOS.. says it all :p
I am using it from now, some months before more than 50% of the people will start using it too

SizZLeR
12-11-06, 15:09
Brammers: Yeah accodring to W3C schools stats approx 60% uses some IE version from 5 to 7.

By looking at the monthly stats it shows that more ppl has started to use FF throughout this year.

However after IE7 came out it can only be a matter of religion and the looks of the UI that comes to consideration when chosing between IE7 and FF.

Ive experienced a minor and also rare bug in FF this summer, it tended to provide me with a 403-err when i tried visiting some webpages, the problem was random and not bound to any websites in particular.

Normally problem was solved by hitting F5 and reload the page, though it still is annoying to encounter such a problem.
Im sure its the browser thats the problem as i tried on more different computers running different installations of winxp (sp1, sp2) and also on different networks.

When i tested FF against IE6 (before IE7 came out) the three only diffrences i found was:

1. FF takes approx 5 times longer (10 secs) to load than IE (2 secs) first time after during a reboot of the system.

2. When browsing webpages with tables FF uses a little more horizontal spacing between the seperate tables, we're talking maybe 2 pix pr table, so it aint really a problem.

3. Links on webpages that makes the webpage set as your default startup page isnt shown in FF, that also goes for bookmark links.

Otherwise i found no difference, the websites looked very similar in both browsers, and the load time was almost the same, seemed to randomly change actually.

I compared both browsers with the firewall and av activated/deactivated and both ran fine. :)