PDA

View Full Version : Trying the trial

mcruk
10-11-06, 02:41
Greetings everyone

Im currently downloading the trial to give Neocron a go and im really looking forward to it. I certainly hope to find something different in here.

Deep down im a sci-fi buff and do prefer those type of games so it seems ideal and im looking for an alternative to WoW which im finding really rather dull.

So, my trial account is up and running and am 20% throught the download. I hope to be in game tomorrow evening after work for a good look around and maybe meet some of you guys and girls.

Any advice for which class I should go for to give me a good start in life?

Cheers

Mr Kot
10-11-06, 02:48
Private Eye all the way ;)

As for profession, infiltrator is good if you want to explore more (you get a stealthtool from Mr Jones) but you can try any profession you like.

If you choose Terra as your server (the english speaking one) you have 4 character slots to play with, so experiment.

Rakanishu
10-11-06, 04:28
Tank (Berserk) is always the easiest to start, because you got good base strength and constitution-(health) to fight. It's easy to level melee fighters

Rigger( Droner ) is another good one to start, run the first mission from Mr Jones and he rewards you with an outstanding Drone that has unbelieveable range! And speed! Droning allows you to level quickly also like the Tank Berserker

Monks and Rifle guys are the toughest in my opinon to start out with.

Napalm82
10-11-06, 09:30
I'd say start with a pistol private eye (An Infiltrator)

Why?
PE's have good CON so they can take more of a punishment.
Pistols are easy to aim and have a medium range.
You wont be slowed down when you draw your pistol (Other weapons slow your movespeed)
With the fast movement and medium range of the pistols you get more of an "Action" experience.

When you have played around a bit, take a look at the helpful guides and sites and find the Class/Profession of your liking, there are no "Better" class/profession, it all comes down to play styles.

Oh, and be PRO-City (The ones who start in NeoCron) since its more "noob-friendly".

If possible find a friend who can play the trial with you, even tho you can easily solo in NeoCron teamwork makes it a lot more fun. (Giving cover to eachother, trying to lure creeps away from your almost dead teammate and so on)

- Napalm

mcruk
10-11-06, 11:20
Thanks for the advice everyone, very helpful.

I think I will probably start a Rigger becasue having the drone sounds like its maybe a pet class? Ive always preferred pet class's in MMORPG's. Having 4 slots on Terra is certainly useful for experimentation purposes.

Unfortunately I dont have any friends that are remotely interested in playing MMORPG's so I will go it alone for the trial and if I do get into the game and get a subscription maybe hook up with a clan/guild at a later point.

I have a feeling work is going to be rather dull today so I will look out for some noob guides to get me going ready for later on!

Dribble Joy
10-11-06, 11:26
Though there are similarities between NC's classes/sub-classes and those in 'standard' MMOs, there's no real direct correlation for most of them.

Droners are not a pet class, drones are launched from the player and directly controlled by them, leaving their 'meat sack' vunerable (unable to do anything at all, you can't even see what's going on around it as the whole player perception moves to the drone), but the drones are powerful.

Napalm82
10-11-06, 12:26
And due to their small size and fast speed (Depending on Drone type) they are like RC controlled cars...but flying and with weapons. (Ok, that was a poor comparison :D )

Do be warned tho, being a Droner can be tough because since you dont really use any muscles and so forth you wont level CON/STR so your VERY VERY fragile.

Also, the first 3-4 drones you can use are exactly the same type (Shoots 1 or 3 bullets) so it may seem a bit dull, but after a little while (First day actually) you'll get access to Laser drones and whatnot.

Of course you can use your Mr. Jones ION Drone instead, but you only have 1 (I think) and if it blows (As in explodes, boom, dead) you cant get another one.

Drones come in classes like RK, MR and so on, then it adds the number of the strength of that serie, like RK-100 (Rocket Drone, think its the first one) which then scales up to RK-1000 (I think its RK-100, RK-250 RK-500 and RK-1000)

So find the Drone type you like and use it, but do keep an AOE drone or 2 on you for that nice spawn where an AOE drone would do the most damage :D

And the one thing that really should be put on a pop-up box when you enter the game, how to use the HELP channel.

Press F1
Select CUSTOM
Click the HELP channel on the right
Make sure theres a little X to the left of the channel (On be default)
Now when you type you talk in the help channel and you can ask all your questions there, as long as you keep a proper tone and keep civil most people will help you (And some will help you greatly)

- Napalm

silent000
10-11-06, 14:57
If you choose your faction as Tangent Technologies then u have 2 decent clans u can join, there is AfterDark which is a large OP waring clan but do have some kind of war with a neutral clan SxR atm (not sure whats going on atm rele), or u can join up with eXL which is the clan i am in and we specialize in helping out new players to the game and gearing them out :P we rtn the biggest clan in game but certainly have alot of active members on ventrillo and such

If you would like the ventrillo details PM me here or DM me in-game on Cream Cracker or Custard Cream and just shout at me :D

mcruk
11-11-06, 00:08
Well 1st impressions have left me with a headache !

All in all I have no idea what im doing, even the tutorial turned my brain into mush.

I attempted to follow the beginer guide on the site here but I did not find a single mob that I could kill, nothing at all. I ran all over the place looking. It informed me to run South-SouthEast to the camp so i did and was also told to kill everything on the way. Not easy when theres nothing to kill. Strange.

Also, is there an online manual somehere becasue im really struggling here and I do want to get into thid game? Not even sure how to send PM ingame and how to open my mail etc.

Napalm82
11-11-06, 00:16
You are in what is called MC5, it is the newb area of the game, but it is a little...lacking to say the least.

You need to find the Gene-Replicator and then teleport to your apartment (Costs 1000 credits) in your apartment hallway you'll find Mr. Jones, do whatever he tells you, this will give you starting cash, XP and your Profession reward.

His quests takes you around the city and it has tips on the way.

And as always, USE THE HELP CHANNEL.

If anobody know the link to that techhaven site with all the info on, please do post the URL.

- Napalm

/EDIT

Found the link in Brammers' signature

http://www.techhaven.org/

/EDIT

Torg
11-11-06, 00:47
http://www.techhaven.org/

and dont stop asking. NC may appear confusing at first glance, but its a hidden gem among games. really.

james_finn
11-11-06, 13:20
It has a steep learning curve, but give it some time, and you'll be hooked like the rest of us! Remember use the help channel!

/Delphi

Whiety Bulger
26-11-06, 21:40
When I played there where PPU that where almost impossible to kill and APU's who where the only ones with enough firepower to break PPU defenses. Tanks worked good if you had uber gear. PE and Spy where for amusment despite their claims to the other wise.

erine
01-12-06, 21:16
Hey I received an email and a link in it, they have great services. They
Offer power leveling, rentals, they buy and sell, they can even trade. Check
Out **********.com (http://**********.com)