PDA

View Full Version : The result of no more NPC killing for SL.

unreal
08-11-06, 15:15
First of all, I'd like to say sorry for bringing this subject up again.

I think the attached screenshot explains the thread enough, it's something most of us have seen on a regular basis before the SL system was tweaked. And yes, the implant you see on the far left of the window is a Law Enforcer, and all the dogtags say the same thing. I've already found several of these types of belts in the last few days just by running to random places. People have resumed farming newbie characters to regain their Soul Light now that killing NPC's is no longer allowed and is therefore a bannable offense.

The problem with it apart from it breaching the RoC when they're repeatedly killing the same runner for that purpose, is that people will do this anyway if there's no better alternative. Some people have the ability to create a newbie character to whore off and some don't, not that I'm condoning it of course. I'm just trying to note the extremely unfair advantage those players have against the ones that are following the rules.

Until there's a good change to the SL system shouldn't regaining SL be made fair for everyone? Having to go to the enemy city and kill some NPC's was a good and fair way of doing it considering you can't really kill that many people in non-warzones these days to regain it in that way.

So, all this decision has done is made it tougher for people (and unplayable for others, which means some players from both Mars and Terra have quit) that are following the rules. I know Reakktor have best interests at heart but maybe this is something that needs to be recontemplated upon?

PS. I was running Neocron in Windowed Mode at 1024x768 resolution, ew. Naffed up my RPOS. lol

Riddle
08-11-06, 15:36
solution?

you get one soulight gain, per single character in 24 hrs.

That would stop farming the same player over and over again as after the first kill no soullight would be gained for a further 24 hrs.

I hate that shit.

meanwhile your right some will abuse whatever the rules , you know that m8 :p

Brammers
08-11-06, 15:49
Before someone says banning the killing of NPC's has made life harder, here a few facts.

- Before evo 2.1 - You gained SL by doing missions.
- After evo 2.1 - You gained SL by doing missions, killing NPC's, and killing enermy players.
- After the NPC killing ban - you gain SL by doing missions, and killing enermy players.

So in a way, gaining SL has got easier, however I do agree the soullight-farming of 0/2's is not right. Perhaps kills on players below x/10 should not give SL gains.

unreal
08-11-06, 16:08
@Riddle: Like I said in the other thread no matter what system is going to be used there's always going to be some way of abusing it, it just depends on the scale of that abuse compared to people who aren't abusing it.

@Brammers: You of all people must know how rediculously tedious and low rewarding those missions in TH are for SL/sympathy. It's been repeatedly mentioned by most people (and probably yourself) on the forum for a long time. Or have they been changed at all lately? The only exceptions in regards to doing missions are epics, where you can get yourself 50+ SL. Clearly those missions aren't redoable.

Let's compare two people:

A) Someone who is abusing the system and breaching the RoC by repeatedly killing a newbie character - faster than killing NPC's. Less than 5 minutes worth of killing with the current settings? No effort.

B) Someone who is obeying the RoC - incredibly slow, tedious, perhaps difficult, and extremely boring in comparison. Could take a full days worth of effort to get it back to reasonable level?

Brammers
08-11-06, 16:21
@Brammers: You of all people must know how rediculously tedious and low rewarding those missions in TH are for SL/sympathy. It's been repeatedly mentioned by most people (and probably yourself) on the forum for a long time. Or have they been changed at all lately? The only exceptions in regards to doing missions are epics, where you can get yourself 50+ SL. Clearly those missions aren't redoable.

I'm talking about missions from the citycom or RN terminal, not the TH missions.

P.S. You still have to earn the SL in the first place, you cannot idle from 10 to 100 SL if you didn't do missions (Or killing) to earn 100SL

unreal
08-11-06, 16:56
Using CityCom missions it would still take a long time to get your SL to 100. And in all eventuality, because you've been killing either enemy or ally runners in naughty places, it's probable that you won't have enough sympathy to be able to start the CityCom missions in the first place.

Compare the huge time and effort difference between examples A and B.

jini
08-11-06, 17:01
ask from 10 friends to make symbitches and kill them once per day. no RoC breached, problem solved

Jodo
09-11-06, 04:31
Surely this is meant as a downside for killing an ally? Why the hell should you get away with it? Currently there isn't enough of a punishment for killing allies imo and you want it to be made easier?
Ok, so before anyone starts saying that Neocron is cyberpunk/danger around every corner/etc, etc bollocks let say that you're role-playing someone who has no regard for the law (because it's still against the current law). Then surely you must then accept the fact you're a hunted criminal that has to be careful where you go? The game is about role-playing even if you don't participate in it, the game has to have the storyline and logical reasons as to why things happen. Symp bithces cannot fit into any half decent storyline, and killing the same NPC over and over is exactly the same thing surely? NPC's are there because it's not plausible or sensible to have a role-playing GM or volunteer constantly there to offer (usually) a small story part or info.

Dribble Joy
09-11-06, 04:51
I've said what I wanted to say about this in the previous thread(s) really.

SL system doesn't do the game justice, doesn't create to right atmosphere, is inflexible, unralated to relative differences between character/NPC levels and abilities and doesn't give a big enough effect on the lives of the runners.

It's a shame that as mentioned in the THN interview, KK has apparently no desire to do anything drastic or fundamental to the SL/symp system. We could have a really good one with some small alterations.

Apocalypsox
09-11-06, 05:14
Guys, we need to stop half-assing this. the entire damned system needs reworked, no more work-around fixes. hell, most of Neocron needs reworked.

unreal
09-11-06, 22:08
Surely this is meant as a downside for killing an ally? Why the hell should you get away with it? Currently there isn't enough of a punishment for killing allies imo and you want it to be made easier?Not sure if you were speaking to me since what you said doesn't really referr to anything I've said, but I'm guessing you were. :wtf:

The point I made is this. Things should be made as fair as humanly possible with what's currently available instead of making it worse for people who don't cheat the system. I don't want ally killing to be meaningless and have some quick fix, but that's how it is for people who log on an SL whore.

If people can abuse the system THAT badly to regain their SL, it's SERIOUSLY unfair on other people who obey the rules, which is why there should be some thought into reverting the decision about killing NPC's for SL being against the RoC.

Hopefully with 2.2 there'll be a rethink of it all. I've not paid much attention to the balancing sections lately so I wouldn't know if they've already said they will or not.

Glok
09-11-06, 23:18
How about making it so only one instance of NC can be running on any one computer at the same time. You know what I would do if I ever actually got another account?

Jodo
10-11-06, 00:16
Not sure if you were speaking to me since what you said doesn't really referr to anything I've said, but I'm guessing you were. :wtf:

Not you specifically, but anyone who feels that way really as many have been bitching about it since the announcement.

I think the real problem, at least for me, is there is no real path for staying outside the law even for those who want to. I don't want to start another "We want Anarchy Breed as a faction" petition but designing an existence for lawless runners should ease everyones concernes about SL.
We should have a Black Market set up and missions for runners who chose the Smuggler profession. Also collaborations with factions however brief they might be. Every society makes use of the underworld element and it will never truly die out but in NC we don't really have one.
Obviously another old petition is the "ffs do something with the prison".
Clearly there are runners who, at the very least, stray down this path and the game must have a storyline and way of life for them.

a4nic8er
10-11-06, 00:16
How about making it so only one instance of NC can be running on any one computer at the same time. You know what I would do if I ever actually got another account?
Buy a 2nd computer?

I agree that the SL system sucks (still pissed at the moronic monk that stepped in front of my AoE-using tank in Regant's Legacy then barrelled himself to death).

Forget My Name
10-11-06, 05:55

Yeah, I can hear the simultaneous canceling of hundreds of accounts across the globe if KK ever did this.

How cyber punk... You cant even enter an enemy city and kill its inhabitants for a reward anymore without being banned.

I want any member of reaKKtor to come on here and show me a few fraps of them going to -50 sympathy and doing enemy missions up to 100 sympathy. I want to see these fraps from a couple reaKKtor employees who inforce the current, horrid Symp rules.

This will never happen, ever. Good job KK.

BaDDaSS
10-11-06, 13:32
Not sure if you were speaking to me since what you said doesn't really referr to anything I've said, but I'm guessing you were. :wtf:

The point I made is this. Things should be made as fair as humanly possible with what's currently available instead of making it worse for people who don't cheat the system. I don't want ally killing to be meaningless and have some quick fix, but that's how it is for people who log on an SL whore.

If people can abuse the system THAT badly to regain their SL, it's SERIOUSLY unfair on other people who obey the rules, which is why there should be some thought into reverting the decision about killing NPC's for SL being against the RoC.

Hopefully with 2.2 there'll be a rethink of it all. I've not paid much attention to the balancing sections lately so I wouldn't know if they've already said they will or not.

I agree completely.

I like to beleive KK are working on it, with all these changes they have some 'grand scheme' and it'll all work out for the better :D